/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/dp/B0126HISOO/?tag=pcp0f-20
amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490380328&sr=1-1&keywords=hd 558
bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-audiophile-over-the-ear-headphones-titan/1700513.p?skuId=1700513&ref=199&loc=8BacdVP0GFs&acampID=1&siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-J9K1Z2xVW13t9TYpP66RIA
amazon.com/dp/B0126HISOO/?tag=pcpapi-20
net-a-porter.com/us/en/product/187523/christian_louboutin/paros-spiked-leather-wallet
stereophile.com/headphones/408/#LtPAJ84XhwD2wKYi.97
amazon.com/Sony-MDR1ADAC-Premium-Amplifier-Integrated-Headphones/dp/B00O2CYJHW/ref=sr_1_14?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1490391213&sr=1-14&keywords=dac
homestudiobasics.com/beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro-vs-premium-end-all-confusion/
onkyodirect.jp/NEWGAME_EARPHONE.html
iriver.jp/products/product_129.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I suggest we don't include that under $50 "rule" there. It serves no purpose.

Pretty tempted to buy this Homu to be honest

>tfw busting out my lambda signature after daily driving HD800S since launch
Absolutely kino.

Holy shit these H6s are fucking brilliant
Less than 24 hours in and I am really coming into the sound.

Drive them straight from my Xiaomi chinkshit and the volume is perfect.

Warm natural sound, bass when you need it, trebles not harsh at all. I'm throwing every genre I've got at it.

Listening to Duke Ellington - Avalon, wewww

>inb4 b&o shill
If you're looking for a good commuter pair, definitely grab a pair. 2nd gen though ignore first gen unless you've got more than a phone to drive them

Not right unless you run into thermal or excursion limits. Thermal limit burns the voice coil and excursion limit causes mechanical wear. Wherever these limits lie aren't tied to a specific loudness. Drivers are vastly different from one another. Generally speaking you will harm your ears far sooner than the headphones and it's not guaranteed that your amplifier is even capable of driving the headphones to such limits.

Entirely dependent on the in-ears. Bass level is an indication if they sit well.

>newfag
Oh boy. Been a while. Thanks?

Now get your ass back to school and refrain from posting until you understand some basics of headphones and their market. Price is irrelevant past the absolutely bottom of the barrel options where you truly are limited by manufacturing costs. At $50 we are long past that point.

QC is cheap. Tuning isn't done in production.
>will sound like shit
That's subjective, not a matter of your preference when someone else is asking for help and sound isn't the only criteria when choosing a headphone.
>arguing
We are talking about giving a suggestion. Where is the argument?

And even in the hypothetical world where they all "sounded like shit", so what? What's that got to do with our ability to give a suggestion?

Don't bring arguments into a new thread pls

Who else full 2 here? Got mine and I swear the bass and overall tone is slightly smoother and less harsh sounding than my e10k and o2. Though it could be placebo. Can anyone else hear a difference with it? It's a sexy little amp either way.

Give me a reason not to buy a pair of HD 600.

Snapheisers are not a valid argument.

>valid arguments aren't valid

I bought a Logitech G35 headset about a year ago. After about four months of use, the thin faux leather that covers the foam on the earcups started to disintegrate. It was actually crumbling away. For example - I'd wear the headset for only an hour or two before bedtime and put the headset down on my desk. I'd come back to the pc the next morning. On the desk below the earcups, there would be tiny pieces about the size of an oatmeal flake of black leathery plastic that fell from the earcup. I go to work and come home in the evening and even more black stuff on my desk below the earcups.

It's about a year now. Almost all of the black faux leather has fallen off the earcups. Is that normal? It can't be normal. Is it my skin? Do I have a fungus or bacteria on my face that transferred to the earcups that eats faux leather? Or does Logitech make junk now?

Different folk for different folks, user. You have yours, I have mine.
>HD 598 Cs
>Neutral
No bass, that clamp, and worse than chink shit plastic.

Standard Logitech build quality; nothing to worry.

>under $50
Bad idea.
We do need to update the old guides. The in-ears list is very dated, the 200+ infographic needs rework.
Where is the fix to new draft infographic?
The old one, for reference.
The typo regarding greater/less than is already known.

>LCD-2 doesn't need amp

Really?

There's no reason.
Clamp? Search yt for "HD 6XX PSA." Thank me later.
No bass? Buy a closed pair. You can also eq them to sound more like the 650s.
Only reason would be that you don't want to spend money in an amp. Still, fiio e10k will do.

Does anybody have entry level custom IEMs ($400-$700 I guess) they recommend?

I don't need like two dozen drivers in each ear, just like maybe two.

>Buy a closed pair.
Closed HD 600s?

AKG K612 or SAMSON SR850 which one is better?

probably the k612 because it costs 4 times as much, if you think it's worth it.

Because you already have one, shill.

>k612 because it costs 4 times as much
not an argument

You can easily bend the headband by the METAL to fix the clamp and I've used an eq for the bass. They're the best headphones I've ever tried. Period.

Is it normal that my foam tips only last for about 1 month before they break?

is the hd598 worth the additional money or should i just get a hd558?

1. For all purpose (movies, music, PC/PS4 gaming) is it better to buy an IEM or headphone? £100-ish budget.
2. Are those what hi-fi reviews/product of the year list actually good or just shit?

>bad idea
What do you mean? We certainly don't need infographs for under $50 options but to outclude discussion or recommendations for them entirely make sense to me. Was there ever a problem?

Yes, especially post Fazor.

help plz

HD 558s are $80 USD right now. Wouldn't recommend HD 598s for twice the price of those.

where? i'm from canada

Neutrality is overrated. Ear rape treble is where its at.

K612 if you want neutral and have the budget for an amp. SR850 if you want a bright phone with a big midbass hump though that can be EQ's down like pic related. 668B's and SR850's have the same drivers if you need a graph for reference.

Looks like Koss PortaPros.

Yeah as soon as I posted it it suddenly came back to me, which is why I deleted the post.

Thank you very much user, I remember it being very comfy so I wanted to buy it again to enjoy the new Zelda on my Switch.

>Canada
Oh. Well, may as well go for the HD 598 SEs instead then; they're only slightly more expensive than what an HD 558 would sell for there.

HD 598:
amazon.ca/dp/B0126HISOO/?tag=pcp0f-20

HD 558:
amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490380328&sr=1-1&keywords=hd 558

my brother lives in us so maybe he can get them for me and send them or would that be just as expensive ?

Is HD6XX really just a cheaper HD650 or is it a scam?

It's a cheaper 650 with even chinkier plastic.
Snappety snap!

If you don't want to pay the somewhat shitty premium for PortaPros, you can get KCS75's which are the same drivers on a clip-on hook or SportaPros which also the same except they're not as compact as PortaPros.

I'm not a fan of clip-on hook sadly, they tend to irritate my ears after a while.

I have pic related. No bully pls

Not sure, but here is the link to amazon.com link to HD 558s and HD 598s.

HD 558:
bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-audiophile-over-the-ear-headphones-titan/1700513.p?skuId=1700513&ref=199&loc=8BacdVP0GFs&acampID=1&siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-J9K1Z2xVW13t9TYpP66RIA

HD 598:
amazon.com/dp/B0126HISOO/?tag=pcpapi-20

I'm having a problem ever since I got my Fulla 2 and HD600. For some reason my sound would randomly cut out on everything and then any videos or music that's playing would just freeze at the same time. This never used to happen with my old headphones and no amp. Even now I have no sound and don't know when the sound will come back (it just comes randomly).

Is my amp using too much energy or something?

No. They're essentially shittier HD 650s made with shittier materials.

Have you tried your Fulla 2 with a different headphone? Or your HD 600 without your Fulla 2?

Also disabling and re-enabling the Fulla Schiit audio driver seems to fix it, but it acts up again still.

Think I figured it out. The USB that came with the amp doesn't fit so snugly in my motherboard slot, so it keeps getting disconnected. I'll just use a different one.

>They're essentially shittier HD 650s made with shittier materials.
[citation needed]

>Being unable to compare both

They are poorfag HD 650s, user. Meant to milk those sweet, sweet poorfag Massdrop dollars.

I have, they measured within margin of error/inherent differences in production drivers, they are built identically as well. The only differences are the cable and paint finish.

I'd like to know where you've pulled that out of your ass because I even compared the dates and serial numbers on the drivers themselves.

Why is it always anime girls wearing headphones for these generals? Also is there a real market for this stuff? There seem to be an infinite amount of them in supply, for just about every brand and model you can think of.

What's the deal? It annoys me. You're all annoying.

Just got my fulla2, which I tested at work with HD380 Pro. Very good.

At home now, testing them with HD600 (vs schiit uber stack). Only an hour or so testing. So far, I can say it doesn't sound bad vs stack (feels somewhat odd though... not sure how much is psychological), but the gain seems insufficient. It's loud plenty enough for most uses, but I can see myself wanting more gain.

I'll try them with my HD598 at some point later, but I already know it sounds really good with those. I got the schiit stack after trying a loaned Fulla 2 after all.

Take artsy / nice photos of your headphones and post them, Sup Forums

A lot of the products from Massdrop are either b-stock or "special edition" cost-cutting products meant to grab more money from the Massdrop audience. They're $200, user; there's no reason not to think otherwise. Take a look at the HD 6XXs, they look like they have a shittier molding job than the HD 650s.

Just because you repeat yourself doesn't mean you're any less wrong.

>HD 650 poorfag edition owner
>Believing there's no cost-cutting from his $100 cheaper product

Well did you, user?

>Take a look at the HD 6XXs, they look like they have a shittier molding job than the HD 650s.
So you've never actually compared them in person, opinion discarded.

Sound quality is about equal; just shittier plastic. Is it wrong to say that?

I used to have more expensive headphones than you'll ever be able to afford, cost means nothing.

You can make things up all you want since you know nothing about Sennheiser's manufacturing process or what they did with the HD6XX, but you're really just embarassing yourself with the 'hurr poorfag' shit.

Hell, when I went to the authorized Sennheiser repair shop nearby they said they just replace HD6XX with HD650 under warranty because they were a one-off and they are the same product.

The paint is different, the plastic itself is identical.

Now you're just projecting.

You need to learn what that means before parroting it because some other user said that to you before.

Yo is there a iem/earbud guide? Been looking to buy some just to wear on the train

>Inb4 buy headphones
I want to look normie

Not headphone related, but you chaps seem to have fine tastes.

Any of you out there recommend a wallet of any sort?

>cost means nothing
Alright user, you have me. Now, why did you buy shittier HD 650s when you could have bought HD 650s themselves?

>shittier
You keep saying this but it doesn't mean anything when you can't even validate your claim.
>why did you
Because they look better to me, the gloss looks crap on the 650 and makes them look cheap.

Gloss never looks good.

>Buying headphones for their looks
Why? Are you taking them outside? Also, are you saying you only have the HD 6XXs?

>looks better and costs less
No brainer.
>Also, are you saying you only have the HD 6XXs?
I've sold everything else off now. Speakers are better anyawy.

>mention Sennheiser
>thread goes to shit

why does it have to be like this guys

Because shills and anti-shills fill the thread with shitposts.
>Snapheiser
>Veilheiser
>Boring no bass
>Granite kitchentop lookin ass
And such shit above

Pretty controversial topic right now, with all that shilling and such.

>HD 600s
>In-ear
>Closed-back

Well I got my pair of 558's under $50 and they've served me well a long time.

None of you faggots can tell me otherwise.

You did good, user

$50? Solid purchase, user. They comfy.

Good thing they didn't snap after all this time, ayyy? eyyyy, user?

It scares me that there are people making shitty renders of pretend boxes with anime girls on them because nobody would actually ever create something like that.

"I like to imagine my favorite cartoons wearing my favorite headphones!"

>>Granite kitchentop lookin ass
That's a fun way to describe the HD600.

Only the finest taste, my friend.

net-a-porter.com/us/en/product/187523/christian_louboutin/paros-spiked-leather-wallet

I've ordered the Custom Art Ei.3's.
Seem pretty good for a triple-driver ciem with base price of 270 euro.

>'90s kitchen top design
Seems pretty normal for a two decade-old product. That also probably explains its build quality.

stereophile.com/headphones/408/#LtPAJ84XhwD2wKYi.97

Fuck off, anti-shill shitposter.

> I've sold everything else off now.

What did you have and what kind of speakers you have now? Also, don't you find that vocals on speakers sound a bit behind and not as forward as lets say on HD6XX? Thats my main bone with speakers.

We don't accept constant shilling. ;^)

little advice guys
looking for some audiophile headphones
budget: $150-$250
source: pc
type: what are IEMs? I need the over ear full sized kind
comfort level: hmm, comfortable enough to fall asleep with while laying on a side
signature: v-shape
past headphones: dreadful bullshit

need to "experience" my music and stuff
know nothing bout this trade
prefer ones that come with a dac
thnx

>v-shape
DT 990s.

Interconnects: AudioQuest Opal, Kimber KCAG.

Found the bottleneck.

>type: what are IEMs?
In-ear monitors. Small earphones which sit partly or entirely inside your ear canal.

well.. i am not rich and got a PortaPro never spent more than 30 bucks in headphones but today... i dont know why i spent 100 in Shure 215 because it looks awesome, and holy fuck what a awesome sound, i cant believe it.
when i was in the train i didnt listen even the fuckin normies talking. i've got some questions.

Should i buy an AMP?
I use my phone as player, keep using this or should i buy someting FiiO player to get better sound?

thanks

Speaking of which, does anyone know where one can buy HD 580 Jubilees? They are the ugliest "audiophile" headphones i've ever seen and I think I need a pair.

You should be fine on your phone since they're high sensitivity. If you're fine with spending the extra money for a DAP or an external DAC for your phone, go for it just don't go retarded and spend a fuckload of money on some snake oil like a Chord Mojo.

thanx user, looking good
any difference between the 770, pro, premium?
and these sony ones are just overpriced for the sake of the brand name, am I correct?
amazon.com/Sony-MDR1ADAC-Premium-Amplifier-Integrated-Headphones/dp/B00O2CYJHW/ref=sr_1_14?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1490391213&sr=1-14&keywords=dac

>Small earphones which sit partly or entirely inside your ear canal.
the kind where one of them shuts off after a couple uses. Yea, definitely not what I'm looking for.

Right?

Should I get ath m40x as my first pair of headphones?
buying from a physical store and theres nothing else beside that and 50x
will it change my experience of music/movies/games? Are headphones really worth it?

>comfort level: hmm, comfortable enough to fall asleep with while laying on a side.

Why would you do this with $200 headphones?

This sums it up pretty nicely:
homestudiobasics.com/beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro-vs-premium-end-all-confusion/

DT 770s are basically just less v-shaped DT 990s, sound quality wise.

They lack soundstage, so that might be something to consider.

onkyodirect.jp/NEWGAME_EARPHONE.html
iriver.jp/products/product_129.php

Be sure to check these out before dropping your money on pic related.

idek what soundstage is

Something you don't think about when purchasing headphones. If you worry about it, you equalize, but that's another topic.

then why mention it?
or are u not the same guy?

Where you can pinpoint sound and shit like that. Only really useful for gaming.

Do you use apple iems and laptop speakers currently? If so, yes headphones are worth it.

If you have a good speaker setup then it is less important.

You'd probably like the M50x as a first pair more than the m40x, the 50x are just slightly more colored (more bass) and that is something new comers appreciate I think. That said, look into open-back headphones, my go to recommendation are the HD558, reason these may not be viable to you is they leak sound due to being open, but they sound better and you can wear them all day without any discomfort. M50s are good but not very comfortable at all.