Has IRC finally been replaced? Do you use Discord or do you still prefer multiplayer notepad?

Has IRC finally been replaced? Do you use Discord or do you still prefer multiplayer notepad?

I still use IRC. If I need to talk to someone I just call them.

Why use this when Mumble just works and is lighter because it isn't a chrome browser like discord?

Nobody wants to use mumble because it's not marketed towards them.

>multiplayer

>Has IRC finally been replaced?
At least not for programmers.
>Do you use Discord
No. I am not a video gamer. Discord is made specifically for video game screencast sharing

>because it's not marketed towards them.

>new patch of noobs starts playing
>gets some friends
>old fucks tell them to install mumble or gtfo

Instead the old players wants to be hipster as fuck and change the used software for no good reason.

Discord uses 60MB ram and it doesnt look like shit

Discord is literally a Chrome Browser accessing the Discord Website.

This. Pic related (was posted here a long time ago for some reason), discord is identical to facebook messenger for desktop just with a different UI and the "push to talk" option. Compare it with your chrome browser folder you'll see it literally is chrome. It really proves how lazy modern developers are.

the open source community is all over Slack for some ungodly reason

That's because it's an Electron program.
The bit that runs on your computer is the same with all of these. The bit you actually use is a website.

>Screencast sharing
What did he mean by this?

>Discord is made specifically for video game screencast sharing
...No?

discord is botnet

>Multiplayer notepad
Why should messaging be anything else?

IRC. What the fuck is Discord.

t. edgy (((linux))) user

t. edgy (((PC GAYMUR MASTURD RACE :DD)))

someone is upset

;)

What are you talking about.

Ur mum is upset

what is the discord logo? is it a router?

You're dumb.

It's a console controller

Joystick

>Has IRC finally been replaced?
No.
>Do you use Discord or do you still prefer multiplayer notepad?
I prefer the multipayer notepad so i do not use discord.

>gen z memes

This, it's also open source with verifiable encrypion. (you can even use your free letsencrypt cert for it).

What you're describing is not even a feature that discord has.

If discord was
>open source
>customizable
>light weight
It wouldn't be so bad.

same thing with yakyak which is a google hangout desktop client. people are packing all the problems with chrome for the ease of developing desktop apps bringing all the problems that come with it. nw.js and electron need to die, but it's growing in popularity all under the "it's so easy for my webdev candy ass to make a desktop app" and "a modern computer can handle it" premises.

No, I use TeamSpeak 3. I'd like to try Mumble but at this point my group of friends is probably too entrenched to want to switch.

>open discord
>shows an arbitrary place in the chat log
>it actually expects me to move my finger and press the "End" button to see the latest chat entries

autism.

>Closed source
>Non-federated
>Literally everything you say becomes their property the moment you hit enter

Why the fuck would I use Discord?

>At least not for programmers.
What is Slack you "programmer"?

I have no one to talk to

A meme thrown around by middle management.

Why are you using a google botnet captcha to post on a closed source proprietary imageboard software, right now?

Well you don't read your backlogs bottom to top so that makes sense.

Use Matrix + Riot

>not knowing gook datamines hardmode

it is supposed to be a comfy place to chat. CHAT. you know, the thing where you always see the latest message while new messages keep pushing the older ones up. when i enter my chat, i don't want to see messages from an arbitrary point in time.

I use slack.

>arbitrary
You mean the last time you were in that chat channel, kek

ah... no. when i visit a channel after a couple of days of not visiting it, it just starts somewhere.

>Open source
That's literally the only reason.
To hell with everything else that makes a program usable. As long as it respects muh freedoms.

Complete shit.

>open source
Literally javascript. what is f12?
>customizable
Look above. greasemonkey
>light weight
Look above. greasemonkey

Not talking about the web client.

Fuck off, proprietary retards.

So you get tracked by NSA with ease? Use Signal, fag.

They just both use React, which is developed by people at Facebook.

Slack is not open source, neither it respects your freedoms.

Discord destkop app IS a web client

IRC has been dead for over 15 years now. If you have any friends at all, you're gonna be using Discord.

its the android logo's dog

centralized proprietary spyware garbage

we run our own irc server

>friends

There is no option to delete your account; you have to email them to delete it. This is fucked imo.

I've used it for like past ten years now. I should've joined the party sooner desu

>irc
>can join any channel you like

>discord
>need an invite to join a channel

That's why it will never replace irc. Because it's only for >Muh sekret clubs where you need an invite to get in

That is exactly why it would have a market. There are is a lot more demand for "sekrit kkklubs" than you think

If you want to share and discuss information then it's a horrible format. That's why it won't replace irc. Give me a list of channels to search for and join then I'll never touch irc ever again.

what is the point of secret clubs if everything you say becomes available to the people behind discord

I just can't help but think Discord is going to start selling user's personal info for ads soon.

Not every channel is visible in /list
You learn of their existence by lurking moar in the right places. Like anime sub groups websites.

Also very complicated channel modes / oper modes can be achieved (depends on the server though)

They're already doing that. You agreed on giving your info to ads by pressing "agree" on installation.

>by pressing "agree" on installation
No, you agree to collect and trade all data with third parties just by using their service.

But there's no ads

Yet.

Discord is good for giving you access to chat logs when you're not logged on

On IRC you have to leave a client connected 24/7 and remote into that client in order for that feature to work. Which is a shitty amount of work to do

Also, the web interface means that it's perfect at being cross platform

What about bouncers ?

It says they can change the agreement whenever they want, without notifying you. There will probably be ads if they no longer gain profit from selling your personal information and message/voice activity. Running servers comes at a price.

it's better than any other normie chat client. Glad it's mainstream. I probably have over 10 chat clients that normies experimented with, from that obscure dolby voice client, to ventrilio. They all fucking sucked. 10 years of this garbage. Finally have a chat client that is halfway decent and runs in the browser, as it should be and not some botnet application.

If you don't go into the woods with your own made up language, you're being tracked.

Too much work to migrate to mumble now and I finally got the people I give a shit about to use discord instead of facebook messenger or unencrypted text messaging to contact me. It took months to get them to move; they won't do it again. I've only converted 1 person, my wife, to signal, and she only uses it to talk to me. She uses normal text messaging and other botnets for everyone else.

discord has syntax highlighting
get with the program dumbo

It's proprietary software and therefore harmful to use.