Install arch

>install arch
>certain fonts are only displaying in weird unicode symbols
>after 20 minutes of searching google find a short reddit thread where some guy says "install ttf-dejavu"
>install the font
>suddenly all fonts are working correctly

Why do you guys use this meme distro again?

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because of that. In crapbuntu you have everything installed. What if you don't want ttf-dejavu*?

*ttf-dejavu or other package

Directly on the post installation general recommendation page of the wiki. Arch needs to make the installation process much more difficult ASAP.

I came here to post this.
Shoulda read the Wiki, OP. It's all there in plain english.

>what if you don't want functional fonts

arch users everyone

Arch is "READ THE FUCKING STICKY" incarnate

>install arch
your first mistake little user

Yeah? So? Look at what happens when you don't follow directions. Do you like having no clue and non-working shit?

>dejavu is the only functional font

retards everyone

>Arch needs to make the installation process much more difficult ASAP.
I wish. If for no other reason than keeping the stupids and kiddos away from it. If they can't even get it installed, they won't be here shitposting about it later and then trying to play it off as bait after they get laughed at by anyone capable of reading and finding the power button on their PC.

Why don't you ask instead
>Why you guys use linux

For 1.5 years of using arch I had no problems with fonts or something else.
You're stupid.

Uninstall the base fonts and read the fucking wiki.

>google searching for a basic question instead of using the only resource arch is widely known for, the wiki
you deserve the waste of time

>Why do you guys use this meme distro again?
Because we know how fonts work apparently

i grew up and realized computers are for function and went back to ubuntu (granted xubuntu, not unity)

arch/debian/manjaro/slack/mint/gentoo were fun for approximately 10 minutes each but i need a daily driver and *buntu is simply the best choice for it

arch is a meme for many reasons:

- It's "KISS", not in the sense of keeping engineering simple to avoid bugs and making things simple to understand but "KISS" in the sense of keeping it simple for the developer. Arch seems perfectly fine with including complex pieces of engineering that are known to oftentimes bug out, as long as they don't have to write them themselves. Someting like Void or Slackware is KISS in the former sense which leads to both systems being rock solid and typically devoid of bugs.
- I really dislike how Arch' packages are extremely large and how many things they dump together in one package. They don't split library from interface in packages or runtime libraries from their development headers, the latter of which typically being larger than the runtime library itself and almost never needed. Other systems split this off to avoid having unneeded things on your system
- "partial upgrades are not supported", as it stands I lie partial upgrades a lot and I hate to be forced to upgrade thing X in order to upgrade Y. If I want to keep X back and upgrade Y I'd like to do so.
- The entire system is devoid of policies, the developers basically make it up as they go along and change things when the want with no promises for the future. A lot of systems have strict public policies they adhere to so you know what you can expect when you install
- Arch' official repositories are super small compared to most systems, people often praise how large the AUR is, but that's a necessity beause you have to use the AUR for things most systems have officially maintained packages for. And the AUR is still a minefield, any maintainer of a popular AUR package could troll all its consumers at any point and just install spyware or whatever
- Pacman is unsafe, package scripts run as root and can do anything they want.

continued:
- Arch is in general kind of a system of "good enough" as in they are perfectly willing to let race conditions and other things continue to exist which are sufficiently rare that it's "not really a problem", this is also how they encode dependencies in packages, not encoding a lot of dependencies and above all correct versioning because "Meh, 99% of users will have this package up to date enough"
- Due to the above, Arch can become unupdatable if not updated for a specific time. And since there are no policies it's unclear what that time is. But typically if you come back after 3 years to an Arch install and do a world update it'll fail and throw your system into a malformed state which it can't recover from. They say you should "frequently" update, but how frequent, no one knows really.
- Arch doesn't really support a lot of things like SELinux or other such stuff
- Arch has no policy regarding acceptable licences and how this is handled or in general what software is acceptable in their own repos or anything like that.
- Some Arch maintainers seriously put builds on a cronjob automatically and push it out to the repos when the build completes without error and automatically sign it, no human intervention to as much as check if it all went appropriately or any testing.

Basically. Arch is a toy, it doesn't take itself or its users seriously, is an unregulated system that plays it fast and loose and just makes it up as they go along. It's unfit for anything more serious than a home desktop OS and it's therefore not really used for anything more.

how am I supposed to make the fonts look decent?

>Slackware
Can't have bugs if you don't have a package manager to install software.

>certain fonts are only displaying in weird unicode symbols
WOW
WHAT A SURPRISE
LMAO

Step 1: Go back to Ubuntu faggot

salty faggot

Experiment with different Font's would be my guess.

read the wiki for fuck sake.

gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671

Here's a good article on how to get near infinality fonts back working. If you lack the ability to help yourself go buy a mac or go back to ubuntu.

>needing to use a command line just to get fonts that don't look like shit

archfags everyone

Nobody is forcing you to use it. Go install Ubuntu or buy yourself a mac, it's not hard.

literal meme answer

Don't worry, even ttf-dejavu is not enough. You'll find other font bugs soon enough.

Why do people purposely not read the instructions and then complain when something doesn't work?

Arch is basically a broken OS. You have to fix it to make it work. That gives you a false sense of self worth and competence.

The user base are more likely to make fun of you than give you any kind of help - because they want to protect their limited knowledge.

There are many businesses who use Linux, but no one in business uses arch. No one.

>Arch is basically a broken OS. You have to fix it to make it work. That gives you a false sense of self worth and competence.
Arch is a base system which allows you to build on top of it however you want to.
It's not broken, because there's literally nothing to be broken in a base install.
>The user base are more likely to make fun of you than give you any kind of help - because they want to protect their limited knowledge.
I've never seen this, even on the Arch subreddit. Sup Forums doesn't count.
>There are many businesses who use Linux, but no one in business uses arch. No one.
Because it caters to a different userbase than businesses.