Why do you use Linux?

One cock less down my throat

Managing libraries when programming is a pain in the ass on Windows. It's by far easier on Linux. (5 min - 1 hour on windows vs 3 seconds on linux).

I like the flexibility and the infinite number of choices it offers.

Nice, checked.

Once you're accustomed to the way it works its easier and less annoying than Windows. No fucking with the registry. The package manager handles installation and removal, no more dodging "install our toolbar!" shit, no more every program having it's own update checker that pops up messages to irritate you, no uninstallers that don't work right. Don't have to bother pirating shit, you get a huge pile of free-as-in-beer software. Comes standard with better system tools, and a programming environment. Doesn't show me ads or spy on me. Don't like the way your UI looks? Change it, you can rice to your heart's content. I get nifty technical things like advanced filesystems. And its nice just having a feeling that my computer obeys me, not some corporation out west. And it does that by default, I don't have to beat it over the head.

What other option is there, BSD? I coulda started on BSD but I didn't.

because [FSF principles here]

also apt-get is convenient

I only use it as a server os. It's shit for desktop

Only as much shit as any desktop system.

it installs faster than windows when i need a virtualized environment to test network shit

It came with my phone and I don't know how to get rid of it.

Solid reason desu

fud
If you couldn't wrap your head around ubuntu or mint then you probably wouldn't have the wits to post on this site let alone configure a server or deal with networks.

cuz Sup Forums told me to

I can use both and have before, but I find windows much simpler. I never have to worry about it shitting the bed on me. I use Ubuntu server for all my webservers and it's great however.

Some people use their PCs for more than just browsing the internet.

this
desu every desktop environment is fucking garbage so I just stick to kde & cinnamon and use loonix for all servers and windows can go fuck itself

not me though
my crosshair ROG, 2933 ram and ryzen 1700x runs cinnamon + chromium pretty fast

A Pentium G4560 would've been just as fast.

I run ESXi on my servers and all the VM's are Linux based for stability/I'm too poor to buy M$ licenses and I don't want to use cracks.

I have a 2011 Macbook and thanks to it's GPU issue my longterm plan of using it throughout uni got fucked. I can't afford the new Macbooks and all recent Windows laptops feel like cheap plastic pieces of crap. I ended up getting a x220 because I can throw this off my bed and it'll survive no problem. Windows sucked major ass on it, so I run Arch. It was $400 after new batteries, screen, etc and I fucking love it.

I'd still go back to OS X if someone gave me one of the new Macbook Pro. I love Arch, but I love the Macbook's sleek aluminum body much, much more.

cos micro$oft wouldn't hire me duh

It's fun to learn new things. It's too easy to be complacent, lazy and comfortable.

I need to use it for my job as an SRE

Its /comfy/

But really though, ext4 is way nicer than ntfs and i hate macs. Don't know enough about hfs+ to hate it but I dislike macos lack of supported filesystems

package manager is nice too, and live updates are p neat

>I love Arch, but I love the Macbook's sleek aluminum body much, much more.
They aren't remotely exclusive.

It's the best kernel I have found to use with the GNU operating system.

It's free.
Package management is amazing, you can compile whenever you need the edge.
Works fast, even on a hard drive.
Comes in a lot of flavors; some don't hold your hand at all, some are great even for grandmas.
I hate Microsoft.
I hate Apple.

Fuck off, Stallman. Linux in itself is also an operating system. Go work on your shitty Hurd.

dem quads

I find that Windows gets in my way when I either just want to browse the internet or when I'm programming with certain technologies/languages, e.g. C and C++. I switch to whichever OS I feel suits the situation best. Right now I'm trying to git gud at C before I begin my embedded systems internship in August, and for that I use Linux, but when I want to write some cuck software for my friends I use C# and Visual Studio in Windows 7.

Stallman logic:
>emacs - it's basically an OS
>Linux - it's just the kernel, nothing too important guys

it's free and just werks
no more waiting overnight for updates to finish

Linux confirmed superior OS.

Nigga, can you even count?
Quints.

technically quints are also quads, since a post ending in five of the same digit also ends in four of the same digit.

Dubs confirm again.

If Microsoft ported Visual Studio to Linux, I'd never boot into Windows again.

inb4 Visual Studio Code. That one doesn't count

i can do everything on it.
I play vidya only on emulators.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Nice

What did kek mean by this?

It was my first OS, so maybe little duck syndrome made me a permanent linux user. It's also more comfy than W10.

kek intensifies

Slow, buggy, can't do much with it.

GNU is a retarded name though, Linux sounds better.

things have names, if you don't want to look like a computer illiterate, use the correct terminology

There's no profit for me in looking computer literate right now.
It's linux.

go easy on Dr. autismo

/thread

because it's free, less prone to viruses and I barely game nowadays.

Gets are like poker, you call it by the best hand.

freedom

I don't. LOONIX is communism designed by the KGB to infiltrate our software and corrupt American youth.

Ask for genuine Microsoft software.