/pcbg/ - PC Building General - "It's just like LEGOs" edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.

pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.

logicalincrements.com/

>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p
>wait for Ryzen R5s

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.

pastebin.com/F9diF2hA (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ3SFB3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonlake
silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452
silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=524
supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Atom/X10/A1SRi-2758F.cfm
kingston.com/us/memory/search/?partid=KVR16LSE11/8
sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/cruzer-fit
tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/jN23M8
pcpartpicker.com/list/DC8rnn
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ayyy, who's already got Ryzen and got 3000mhz+ memory running? I bought 2400 but it turns out parts of the cpu are tied to memory clock. Using an ASUS Prime X370-Pro

amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ3SFB3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

need to know if the evga g3 1000 psu is good or not.

I have the 850 version, seems fine.

pcpartpicker.com/list/

Will be a 1600/x r5

I have a rock solid g1 650, go for it

Friendly reminder to never buy pascal. it's locked the FUCK down.

980ti 1600mhz

I'll never understand why people buy shit ram. I made the mistake because I was ignorant. New ram klit lifted my minimums significantly in all of my games.

Just bought a 7600k for my first build, how fucked am I considering ryzen 5 might be good.

I make bad decisions and got Ryzen on the Friday after launch. 2400 was the fastest the store had on the provided HCL. Didn't think much of it

Marginally at worst
I can respect that. buy your new kit then sell those. RAM has strong resale value, only reason I upgraded but if I knew the uplift was this great in my primary game I would have done it regardless of cost.

Should I push pull two lower RPM fans or just push one higher RPM fan?

Whats the next Intel generation?
Cannonlake or Coffeelake?
Looking to upgrade cpu on the first months of 2018

>Due to low 10 nm yields, Cannon Lake will be limited to 15 Watt U and 5 Watt Y-series system-on-chip parts with GT2. Higher-power mobile and desktop platforms will receive an update in the form of a second 14 nm process refinement with Coffee Lake, which is said to share Cannon Lake's architectural refinements.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonlake

>>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset
What does this mean?

It's bullshit, I installed windows 7 on a b250 mobo with a skylake cpu.

Thanks user I wasnt sure about those 2

I looked on the Coffeelake wiki page but doesnt mention anything about socket or chipset

I can assume that bcs is a refinement of Sky and Kaby will use the same socket just diferent chipset right?

It's up in the air at this point but intel likes to change socket every two generations so wait.

reposting from Sup Forums:
also should i upgrade my ram or its fine as it is?

>post not found

oh thread died
>im looking to upgrade my cpu what would you recommend me?
>user recommends 7700k and overclocking it
>how hard is it to overclock it?
it says this cpu comes without a cooler would my old cooler will be enough consider it handles my current cpu?
also would going down a little on the price bracket say to i5 7600k would be noticeably different?
want to know if its really worth spending the extra shekels.

That's not how you crossboard link you newfaggot

never had the need to crossboard link but whatever can you answer my question?

I don't know since I can't see the post retard

its literally here in this thread you double nigger

Then delete the post and ask properly.

gtx 1070 at 2.1ghz

get fucked

Can I build a PC out of Legos? What specs do I need to run Minecraft as good as possible? I also want to do some video editing/content creation (turning sonichu comics into videos).

If the GPU connected to the PSU causes the PC to fail to POST, but it boots just fine if the GPU is connected to the motherboard and not plugged into the PSU (and plugging the monitor into the GPU slot even works), is it the GPU that's faulty or the PSU?

pic in op would be true if the left one was one of those programmable robot sets desu

What's up Sup Forums?

General build check:
I'm planning on building a nas-box (freenas) for use at home. Here are the components I'm currently planning to use:

Case: SilverStone DS380 (holds up to 8 drives, 3.5")
PSU: SilverStone SFX SX600-G 600W

Motherboard & CPU: Supermicro A1SRi-2758F
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM SO-DIMM DDR3L PC12800/1600MHz ECC CL11 8GB (x2, =16 GB)

USB-sticks (for boot): SanDisk USB Cruzer Fit 16GB (x2, mirror)
Hard drives: I will use WD Red and/or HGST Deskstar Nas.

The component I thought was the hardest to select was the PSU, with regards to being able to determine that it would offer the required amount of connectors.
This PSU SX600-G has four sata connectors. Does each sata power-cable have two connectors on them (i.e. one cable can power two sata harddrives)? Will it be able to power eight hard disks?
Silverstone makes both the case and the PSU so it would seem natural that their stuff go together.

Links:
silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452
silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=524

supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Atom/X10/A1SRi-2758F.cfm
kingston.com/us/memory/search/?partid=KVR16LSE11/8

sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/cruzer-fit

I'm looking for a 27" 1440p monitor. I looked a bit online and I'm between the Acer K272HUL or the Dell U2715H. Is the Dell worth the extra money?

Allright, a business near me is selling their old Dell Precision towers, and they go for dirt cheap. I have a choice of t3500, t3600, t5400 and t7500, all with 12 year warranty and in the price range of sub $200. Which one is the best one to just take it, slap some consumer gpu on it and have a decent setup?

I very much doubt it especially as newegg has a price differential of like $400. Frequently competing monitor manufacturers will buy panels from the same panel makers. I bet they are the same so I'd go for the cheaper Acer

I have a question too. I currently am working on getting some extra Mhz out of my i5 4690k because upgrading to an i7 costs a lot and I don't quite need the hyper threading yet, though my next cpu will be an i7 unless Ryzen 5 series blows intel out of the water. Anyways, I currently am running at 4.6 Ghz at 1.265 cvore on an msi Z97A gaming 7 mobo for what its worth. I've heard some people say that the max safe voltage for this chip - i5 4690k - is 1.25 volts. However a guide I found here:

tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

which seems pretty well informed claims 1.3 volts is the safe upper limit. What do you guys think?

Is the
MSI Z270 PC MATE LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard suitable for a gaming build with an i5 3570k and a gtx 1070? I don't really know anything about motherboards but I'll probably upgrade to an i5 7600k eventually. maybe.
Was also looking at the
MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON just for the sheer ridiculousness of an RGB motherboard but it's not really necessary...

Any suggestions?
1080p, 60Hz, Gaming

MOBO: GIGABYTE B250-D3H (82€)
CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 (216€)
HFS: Noctua NH-U12S (62€)
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6G (290€)
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB (115€)
RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR4 2400MHz CL14 LPX (134€)
TOTAL 899€

no, seems reasonable for 1080p. idk what the price difference is for you between the 1060 and rx480. from what I gather the rx480 is at least a little bit better than the 1060. overall I wouldn't really change anything
I really don't think the 3570k is compatible with your mobo

I have a 1070 and I'm shopping around for a monitor. Should I go for the 1080p 144hz meme or should I just stuck to 1440p?

That really depends on whether you prefer high resolution or high refresh rate. One isn't any better than the other, really

I only have experience with 1080p 60hz so I couldn't say

High refresh rate isn't something you will notice very much until you play a console. Then you may never go back to 60hz and below. High resolution is really nice if you sit very close to you monitor. It also reduces the need for anti aliasing

want to upgrade GPU mostly (just want to play Nier at 60+ FPS)

recommend me build upgrades

Do you need to be told to get a 1070? Do you need to be told that if that's not enough for you, to step up to a 1080?

I really haven't shopped for PC parts in years. I haven't kept up with trends. Why do you think I'm asking sir

You'll need at least 2 Titans in SLI and about 128GB of RAM, each clocked at 4166MHz. Of course an i7-7700k is required at minimum.

I cannot for the life of me quell vibration sounds of my case.

The sound comes from the back cover of the case, which gets vibration from the HDDs.

I've cable managed as fuck to keep any cables from touching the back cover (as far as possible), put the HDDs in different positions, but it doesn't work. What do I do?

Is GTX 980 a good buy for $280 these days? Upgrading from a dead GTX 560 Ti.

Gtx 1060 6gb costs less than that based off of what I'm looking at right now on amazon.

I live in a shithole and GTX 1060 is $340 around here. Plus GTX 980 is better in performance than 1060.

Buy some sound dampening insulation and fit it. Its the sort of stuff the Define R5 comes with preinstalled. Also: mount everything on rubber.

Also: it could possible be air turbulence depending on your fan setup - if I set my side fan to intake rather than exhaust the sound is horrible.

Any ideas on a case for a NAS with two of pic related (so 6 or more 5.25 bays) that doesn't look autistic with shitty edgy shapes and lights everywhere?
I just want a plain old boring looking case with lots of external 5.25 bays.

Is it worth upgrading an i5-4690 yet or should I just upgrade my GPU (GTX 960) first? Encoding is mostly done on my AMD box, so this is just for general use and games.

I wish LEGO taught me cable management.

cable management is a meme. unless you have a birds nest of wires, the super neat cable management that the PC community loves to tout is unnecessary and won't change your temps by even 1C.

I want to buy the 1700 as well, but after looking up the supported 3200 Ram, i decided to wait.

even ASRock, MSI and Gigabyte which are considered decent only support like 2-3 types of 3200 Ram.

When will they get their shit together?

>Intel
>2017
dont make this mistake

Old nvidia gpus are never a good idea

Every single gtx 1070 hits 2.1ghz. I bet you spent more on a model with a gimmick extra power connector and 1337 power phases.

Anyway, trolling and baitposting aside I understand the need to not spend money on a generation old GPU but the ability to mod the bios was extremely important to sate my autistic fervor. I picked up a fucking MINT evga 980ti hybrid for $340 shipped. I spent about an hour on it last night and got it to pic related. I think it's a good spot for 24/7 but I'll spend more time with it.

As it stands it's with in 6% of a stock 1080. Anyone looking at a 1070 could consider a used 980ti on ebay imo. Now if this were a non-hybrid 980ti it would not be worth it but the cooler on the card is worth like $100 alone.

why is ddr4 ram so fuggen expensive

Phones.

My mobo has my 7700K set to 4400mhz and 1.3 volt, pretty sure it shouldn't be as high.

How much volt do I need to input for it to stay at base clock? 1.25 or so?

Quandary with build.
I am considering upgrading my current build:
CPU - i5 3570k
GPU - Radeon 7870 2gb
RAM - 16 @ ddr3 1600

To the following:
CPU - i5 7500
GPU - GTX 1070 8gb
RAM - 16 @ ddr4 2400

The reason for the build is:
1 - improved GPU to ensure high quality gaming on new releases
2 - It is an excuse to upgrade to m.2 ssd with more storage; I currently have 160gb ssd which is not sufficient.

My plan is to make a new build, the older machine would be given away to a friend with low computer usage. Result is nothing recycled.

However, instead of dropping ~1500-1800 on a new build, I am looking into buying a new SSD to add a new drive (say, 250gb and put games on it, leave 160gb for primary / other media) and upgrade GPU to GTX 1060 6gb.

Thoughts?

What's a good secondary streaming/record PC build? It's for personal recording not really for YouTube or twitch.

I'd rather have the 6c/12t ryzen chip over a 7500.

But the principle is the same: upgrade to new build, or swap out parts to get more life out of current machine.

The first step when considering a new build is to always overclock what you can of your existing hardware to see if it gives a satisfactory experience. While I doubt the poor little 7870 is going to cut the mustard these days pushing your 3570k to its limit can yeild some nice gains.

Will I need a new cooler if I want to overclock my RAM from 2GB to 8GB?

Don't upgrade the i5 to an i5, that's retarded. Just upgrade the 1070 and OC

I got the -K because I am retarded, I don't intend to OC.

The computer is in all ways functional and satisfactory right now (aside from the storage issue). I am reluctant to start on a new game, such as Witcher 3 or Nier:Automata with my current GPU, however. It sounds like my plan to add an SSD and upgrade GPU is the better choice. Thank you.

pcpartpicker.com/list/jN23M8
R8 or h8

There are so many variations of single GPUs such as 1060. How do you decide?
There is EVGA, STRIX, OC and many many more.

For the most part due to the nuances of pascal they are all the same shit - you buy the cheapest one and/or one with best warranty.

Its only chips that really respond to voltage (kepler and older and most of AMD's lineup) do the differences between brands - especially pcbs - start to matter.

Telling retarded people building computers is like legos, you're not actually teaching them anything.

Why do you think there are "gaming" parts for ignorant users? I guess that 1200 platinum psu is really necessary for that ITX mobo huh

Is 4k gaming a meme? I love 4k for the workspace so I'll probably also get a 1200p monitor portrait mode just in case, will I be able to flip it and game on it? Or is it weird landscape?

>I guess that 1200 platinum psu is really necessary for that ITX mobo huh
enjoy your house fire faggot.

whats a good, horizontal case that i can place under my tv? looking to use it as a media server, so it should have a decent amount of 3.5 internal bays.

It won't boot, you need a B250.

i3 is in a bad spot, go either Pentium or i5-7400 if you're poor.

>I3-6xxx
>You need b250

No.

Why do people put an 's' at the end of LEGO?

Oh whoops.

Quick I need a build for a ryzen 5 (preferable 1600x) with a 1060 6gb, 1080p monitor, and a Corsair 200r. I don't really know what Mobo or ram to get, aside from ddr4. I also don't have any peripherals, and my budget is 800 usd.
Pls recommend me some parts

>and my budget is 800 usd
pcpartpicker.com/list/DC8rnn

what gpu is good for someone who wants to build a midranger pc for 600-700 eurobucks? Let's say I want to spend about 150 - 200 bucks on a gpu.

rx 480 8gb

Sup Sup Forums.
Whats the best pair to rx 480 8gb?
1) 1080p 144hz
2) 1440p any refresh rate

Rightn now i cant afford 1440p 144hz. So, what better?

1080p 144hz.

neither. it can't handle either. on low settings many games 144hz FREESYNC is passable, though

am4 isn't even a month old yet...

Anyone know what price the ryzen 5 will be?

Toshiba or WD Blue for a 2tb stockage HDD?

Exactly same price for me on Amazon. Heard some bad things about those 3.5 Toshiba so I'd be inclined to order the WD Blue one.

I wonder should I get a new case to replace my define mini. I really want to go towards the water cooling route (double rad)in the future...

>how hard is it to overclock it?
Just use one of those 'one click to overclock' programs from your MB manufacturer.

>also would going down a little on the price bracket say to i5 7600k would be noticeably different?
-Google 'games 7600k vs 7700k'
-Look at benchmark of games that are relevant to you
-???
-Profit

Thanks

Retard here, is it worth buying this product for £116.99? Thinking about getting it for my next build, but I'm not sure.

"Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz"

Aren't there 4 different r5?

i got 2x 16 gig 3200 mhz sticks for 212.

you should be able to find cheaper deals but dont limit yourself to 3000 only, check 2800-3200 range.

But it looks cleaner.

its not a meme, dont listen to that retard.

I'm not limiting myself, it's just that it's on sale on Scan. Without the sale, it's £124.99. Not that much of a difference, but I'm a tight cunt.