Can anyone meme me into Linux?

Can anyone meme me into Linux?
I feel like i'm getting more and more meme'd into installing Arch or some gay shit but there is always one thing that Linux will lack.

Pic fucking related.
If my internet connection fucks up or some shit Windows can fix it in 2 min.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html
gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html
help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Try Solus. It's the new just werks distro, looks great and use low system resources. 350MB on boot with budgie.

I've never had issues with wifi on arch. wpa_supplicant is kind of a pain in the ass, but it's reliable as fuck.

OP here, i use Wi-Fi but sometimes my Wi-Fi card (are these the names?) gets disabled for no fucking reason (Windows just says "has been disabled by sys admin" kek)

get Solus like said or if you want to go ultimate lightweight install arch and rice it with a WM

You probably won't get disconnected on Linux. I had a similar issue where windows couldn't last more than 2 minutes on wifi before disabling it and being unable to connect, forcing me to use Ethernet and windows didn't come with Ethernet drivers for my mobo. So I had to download and install them which I couldn't on an unstable network. Then I just installed Ubuntu and it worked like a charm immediately which made me switch to Linux.
Just try to live boot Ubuntu and see if it works. There are 2 things too keep in mind while testing distributions;
1. Ubuntu (and distributions based on LTS) uses an older Linux Kernel so any hardware released in the last year could be incompatible or barely work. If you're using newer hardware you should try Fedora or Arch based distributions, or any "rolling release" distros such as openSUSE tumbleweed. I wouldn't recommend using actual Arch, try Manjaro or Chakra instead. Arch is NOT a distribution recommended for people who haven't used Linux for at least a year.
2. If you're just live booting the distro will be slower than normal since it's reading resources off a USB port which is slower than the SATA port. Once you actually install it it should use less RAM and open software faster.

Also, don't fall for the ricing meme. It just wastes your time. Most desktop environments look fine out of the box and if you dislike them install a theme.

Don't fall for the hacker OS meme or this Arch bullshit. An OS for the average user must be easy to install, easy to configure and easy to use. Ubuntu and Mint are the only valid options when it comes to Linux.

lol like windows connectivity troubleshooting ever works. my win7 computer shits the wifi bed all the time, basically any time someone connects to network... literally have to restart computer and router once every few days when wifi stops working

linux laptop is connected automatically as soon is it boots up, zero problems ever with any wifi

>arch
Stay away from Arch, that's a pedo ricer distro.
Use Ubuntu, if you want to try Linux.
If you don't play too many games it's not lacking compared to Windows.

It lacks productivity software too.

And:
KDE Neon
Zorin
Elementary
Linux Lite
LXLE

and Q4OS

That's a meme friend, and 99% of users do not need proprietary productivity software.

>If my internet connection fucks up or some shit Windows can fix it in 2 min.
I've used Linux exclusively for 3 years and never had any internet connection issues in the first place.

Don't listen to these guys. Solus is being forced here by the devs and retards are meming it. The package availability is shit. Use an Ubuntu Debian or Arch distro for the best/easiest program availability. If something you want isn't in the Solus repos you'll be fucked if you can't compile it from source.

Weird little bugs like that may be Windows specific. I have a Windows partition on this machine and it does a lot of stupid shit. Chrome even freezes a lot when I get perfect performance out of Chromium on Linux. Everything in general is just snappier.

>Just try to live boot Ubuntu and see if it works.
Don't forget that there are several Ubuntu flavors. Xubuntu, Kubuntu etc. You can try stock Ubuntus Unity but don't judge the whole of Linux based on it. It's garbage. The other flavors are okay.

>wouldn't recommend using actual Arch, try Manjaro or Chakra instead.
or Antergos. Arch isn't unstable like people meme and you will have just as easy of a time if not easier with Antergos/Manjaro than with an Ubuntu based distro. Antergos/Manjaro come with pamac a GUI pacman frontend much better and more capable than Ubuntu software center.

But yeah get a USB drive and start making live USBs for a bunch of distros and try them out. You'll probably really like one of them. Probably based on DE. If you try all of the Ubuntu flavors you will have seen most of the major DEs. The other two most popular DEs are Cinnamon and Pantheon. Linux mint is essentially Ubuntu Cinnamon and Elementary is essentially Ubuntu Pantheon.

no.

Are you a developer?
Then buy a mac and never look back.

The iMac 5K is literally the best computer to code on.

>be windows fag
>go try ubuntu because i hear it's the easiest to get used to
>first thing i notice my mouse moves at light speed
>open the settings
>only mouse setting is one huge slider for mouse speed
>have to go and spend 3 hours finding out how to remove mouse acceleration then write my own mouse config
>do all that shit
>restart and it deleted itself
fastest uninstall of my life, that shit was cringeworthy from start to finish
why would anyone want to waste their time on that flaming trash pile?

>be windows fag
>be retarded
>people laugh at me
I am laughing at you.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Instead of Arch, try Antergos.

Yeah... no. Mac OS is terribly bug ridden lately and the hardware is severly underpowered for the price. That piece of shit gets hot as fuck and compiling a larger program will either take ages or make it overheat. The only thing good about it is the resolution but the screen size isn't exactly sufficient. A 32" screen would clearly be the better option.

>this retarded copypasta

>doesn't know how to change the dpi of his mouse

This thread is about someone interested in GNU/Linux not about faggot hardware.

>how can you say gaynoo is bad if you never tried it?
>you tried it and didnt like it? what a fucking retard!
oh fuck me i didnt expect to laugh this hard tonight

>ubuntu
Don't judge the whole of Linux based on Ubuntu you dope.

Hijacking this thread because too lazy to make a new one.

Need Linuxdistribution that is (in order of importance):

1) Lightweight.
2) Secure (as much from from hackers as from the government.)
3) Free (as beer and freedom.)

>its another retard starts laughing episode
Okay, good thing you aren't near my OS.

>Unironically using winblows troubleshoot
are you mentally retarded or something?

yeah i try to stay away from mental asylums

>its another retard starts calling others retards episode
The whole world is laughing kiddo

Your graphics card may not be supported by Lincucks like mine.
I have a AMD Radeon graphics card which may be not supported by Ubuntu 16.04.
What should I do? Will upgrading to Ubuntu 16.10 or downgrading to 14.04 solve the issue? If yes, will it work as good as the graphics card works on Windows? Also will have to configure my computer or will the system work perfectly after upgrading or downgrading?

Am I damaging my computer by not using a OS supporting the graphics card?

Just install Solus.

It's the best beginner distro and uses 350MB ram on boot. Boots up in 4s off my SSD too, very fast and responsive.

>nothin personnell kid tier post
speaking of retards

>1) Lightweight.
Honestly doesn't matter if you have at least 4 GB of RAM they will all run fine. If you're still worried about staying light stay away from anything with KDE GNOME or Unity.

>2) Secure (as much from from hackers as from the government.)
Fedora has SELinux set up ootb. Probably the most secure distro as a fresh install.

3) Free (as beer and freedom.)
Check out gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html (pic related) to see the Stallman approved distros (pic related)

and see gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html to see why some aren't on the list. Many distros aren't on the list simply because they offer a non-free repo in which case you will be completely libre as long ass you don't use the non free repos.

>If my internet connection fucks up or some shit Windows can fix it in 2 min.
I've never had my internet connection randomly fuck up on it's own on linux.
It was actually one of the things that actually got me to install linux on my desktop (both wireless and later wired) and use it full time, whether or not my internet worked wasn't lottery on each boot and it didn't die at random times only to require a reboot to function again.
Nowadays the windows I use is on virtual machines only, and the biggest reason being that the virtualized network devices are far far more stable than physical hardware. I can conenct my linux laptop to wireless and the virtualized windows thinks it's connecting to a physical network. The implications of this became clear on the week Microsoft rolled out an update for Windows 10 that rendered my whole class' laptops useless by breaking wireless and bluetooth.

The TCP/IP protocol is from the UNIX world and it only functions fine there.

Fuck this guy. He's setting you up for disappointment. Go ahead and try it so you can see how garbage Solus and Budgie is.

>Honestly doesn't matter if you have at least 4 GB of RAM they will all run fine. If you're still worried about staying light stay away from anything with KDE GNOME or Unity.

My computer is slower as compared to Windows because my graphics card is unsupported.
See

Super brainlet quest 2017

Is it an Intel N-7260 wireless chip? If so, that's a hardware issue and you can never fix it.

Anyways if it's your first time trying Linux then do not jump into Arch. If the Arch world sound good to you then start out with Antergos. Familiarize yourself and get acclimated with the Arch way of doing things, then install Arch.

Solus is great though. Been my primary OS for roughly half a year now.

Really bad example pic. Nobody would run Linux on servers if it had unreliable networking.

I see. Can you be more specific as to the GPU you have? The proprietary AMD drivers are in the AUR. Pic related. With Antergos or Manjaro it would be stupid easy to add it.

Also what about this for Ubuntu? help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD

What do you do when you want a package that's not in their tiny repository? Sorry but I enjoy having easy access to any and all packages available for Linux.

I have the R5 M335 Radeon graphics avard.
I already saw that Wiki page and many others. I even saw the Arch and Gentoo Wiki.
None of them list my card under any category.
From what I gather downgrading to 14.04 may be a solution. But that is just that a "may".
Right now my CPU usage reaches 89% while watching a video.

>I have the R5 M335 Radeon graphics avard
>None of them list my card under any category.
The documentation I read say the proprietary driver works with everything EXCEPT "Radeons HD 2 3 4 xxx". Not sure if yours falls into that category or not. Doesn't look like it but I'm not entirely sure.

>Right now my CPU usage reaches 89% while watching a video.
Doesn't sound like you're using the proprietary driver in the first place.

>From what I gather downgrading to 14.04 may be a solution. But that is just that a "may".
Or you could switch distributions. You can test out the AUR package from an Antergos/Manjaro live USB pretty easily.

>Windows
Found your problem

Forgove me if I made a mistake.
Are you talking about the fglrx driver? If yes, are you recommending me downgrade. BTW I have no problem downgrading, but just the fear that even after putting in much work of backing up my files, I may face same problem again.
Also, I live in a third world country and I ahve very poor internet connectivity so I can't download many distros.

Falling for the Radeon incompatible copypasta

I am experiencing it not "falling for some meme".

Install from source you technologically illiterate shit. What are you doing here?

Does troubleshoot even work? I never tried troubleshooting anything with windows...
It feels like it's one of the features that never works.
Pajeet level of "fixing" kompooters.

Don't try Linux, please... Here's enough stupid people who complain how their updates fucks something up, or
>Font doesn't render properly, found out that you have to install this font to fix it, wtf I hate linux now

Stay to windows, please.

>Install from source you technologically illiterate shit. What are you doing here?
*compile
I'm fine with compiling from source. I have no problem git cloning a repo from github and following the compilation instructions. You're the asshat here recommending this to people with no experience with Linux. And why would even someone experienced with Linux subject themselves to something like that? Might as well use Gentoo if you're going to be COMPILING a bunch of shit. You're the idiot here.

>Install from source
Stop chiming in on topics you're clueless about or better yet get the fuck off of Sup Forums

You're right, it is compile from source. But, I just chimed in. I didn't recommend anything.

Stop calling the GNU/Linux system Linux. Linux is just a program of the OS, the kernel.

>I didn't recommend anything.
It sure seemed like you were one of the people here shilling for newfags to install Solus. The OP of this thread is about convincing a newfag to install Linux after all.