Lenovo Thinkpad Replacement Battery Issue

Please help me. I bought a replacement battery for my T430 from a third party (although respected) vendor and now I'm faced with this corporate cloning bullshit.

I've seen others bypass this by patching the BIOS or something. It has to be possible, I don't want to buy yet another overpriced battery from Lenovo.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec/blob/master/t430.G1HT35WW.img.d/006_battery_validate.patch.OFF
github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec/blob/master/README
zmatt.net/unlocking-my-lenovo-laptop-part-1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

why don't you can refill the old battery with 18650?

libreboot/coreboot

check thinkpad-ec mod on git:
github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec/blob/master/t430.G1HT35WW.img.d/006_battery_validate.patch.OFF
it doesn't work like that. Lelnovo battery PCBs are designed to permanently die after disconnecting cells.

I found that page already, but excuse my ignorance. I have no idea how to apply the patch. Is the process complicated?

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec/blob/master/README
this mod was supposed to change the layout of keyboard, so you can replace the shitlet one with classic one, so if you only want to disable battery check then you have to change all mod files to .OFF with exception of the battery one.

No, it's not complicated. You just need linux.

Thanks, man. I'm running Arch anyway. I'm now at the "make" step. The keyboard is the chiclet one, so I will have to rename the files.

>Lelnovo battery PCBs are designed to permanently die after disconnecting cells.
This is fucking mental.
I'd say just hotswap the cells then.

Hotswap dick in your mouth. You got absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

>(although respected) vendor
you dumb fuck you bought some $5 chink shit, T430 only takes genuine batteries

refer to

>Solder wires to the tabs connected to the 18650's
>Charge battery normally, till all cells are at 4.2V
>Connect wires to a lab power supply at 4.2V
>Desolder old 18650's from the board, replace with the new ones
I'm sorry user, I thought this was self explanatory.

to reflash internal eeprom memory containing max charging threshold values you need hardware programmer.
Without it PCB won't recognize "unused" cells and it will still treat them as old, worn ones.
It's not worth it

is dis the power of botnetpad?

>battery-DRM
zmatt.net/unlocking-my-lenovo-laptop-part-1/

lenovo was a mistake

The power of botnetpad shows up when you want to upgrade your minipcie wifi card to ac one.
Protip: it's not possible on ivy bridge models and newer. You have to modify encrypted (!) BIOS image via hardware programmer to do this.
And that's why I will never but a shitpad again.

sort of related question
I've got a t430s and have always considered an ultrabay battery but these memes never go on sale. Are they really worth it?

buy*

no

I'm calling bullshit. Batteries will just charge to 4.2v, there's no cutoff.
Unless lenovo literally keeps track of the previous charges, and if the cells start taking more than before it triggers a fuze.

>Lelnovo battery PCBs are designed to permanently die after disconnecting cells.

oyvey

>some idiot swaps the cells out
>battery pack catches on fire
>LENOVO LAPTOPS ARE CATCHING FIRE

You really think it's worth the risk to their company?

>3rd party hw parts
>risking any goodwill of Lenovo
It's not like they still have much reputation after the Edge line.

You know that it'll get reported in the media as "holy shit Lenovo laptops are catching fire" right?

Good clickbait

And Lenovo can sue the shit out of you for it for the new cells. Burning notebooks aren't that rare anyway and all of them get away with it.