Do you practice digital minimalism?

In what way?

I try to.

>never install a program that has a portable version that you can just unzip
>no background pic on desktop
>no gadgets on desktop
>use the least amount of browser extensions (currently 2)
>always use random string usernames when registering on websites, and also use throwaway email addresses (this is mostly a safety precaution, but also adheres to minimalism in a way)
>have the least amount of accounts I need
>if possible, delete my comments and posts on social media and internet forums after 7 days
>on mobile, use the least amount of apps that I need

I usually delete TV shows after watching

Digital feminism.

i guess

Digital islamism.

This is 80% me. I never write comments in the 1st place, except on Sup Forums. And for the background, I usually just leave it default. I do however, register on sites using an actual user name and a real (permanent) email, unless it's some site I don't care about (like if I want to download from some forum and they make you register just for that).

As an IT tech I pretty much only use tools already built in to Windows. The only tools I use frequently not built in to windows (but should be) is process explorer and autoruns. The only non-MS tool I use is hwinfo, which isn't very often. Thankfully all 3 are portable.

>if possible, delete my comments and posts on social media and internet forums after 7 days

I can understand everything else but this. Why engage in a discussion if you're just going to delete your contribution? You're making any replies meaningless and just complicating the thread for anyone else that tries to read it. Do you have autism ?

>use APIs to deliver content from sites to your own programs because their sites are atrocious, slow and full of ads

That is also a safety precision in case someone somehow links the username to my real identity and I was discussing anal toying my asshole or worse on reddit or something. Same way Sup Forums deletes posts and comments after usually a week. I want no traces after myself on the Internet. Basically reducing my digital footprint.

Remember your cringy forums posts in the early 2000s? Most of them are still there. I want to avoid that as much as possible.

>never install a program that has a portable version that you can just unzip
This very much.

Cont.

And also, even if they can't link the username to my real identity, it bothers me that they can click on my username and read back years of comments and posts that I made, basically giving them a good rundown about myself. You can learn a lot about a person based on his post history.

It's especially annoying on reddit where retards openly admit they looked at your post history and therefore disregard anything you say because you're a Drumpftard xD or something.

>Remember your cringy forums posts in the early 2000s? Most of them are still there. I want to avoid that as much as possible.

Same reason why I never post anything any more in

Yeah fair enough actually, I used to post on the newgrounds forums when I was 12 with a username that was just a concatenation of my first and fucking last name. All you had to do was google my name and my awful posts were right there on the 2nd or 3rd page. They don't let you delete posts/accounts but they do allow paid username changes... best $10 I ever spent.

Why is this cat so cute? Like I got a semi looking at the picture.

You are a closet furry

Well

I prefer portable programs, just because it's less of a hassle when reinstalling windows.

I also try to keep the number of running background programs low.

That's about it.

With the exception of my OS, browser and Office, all my portable programs, media and documents are stored in a 2GB Dropbox account.

Do what?

On my personal computers yeah. I like a lean mean running machine.

My server? Nah, it has everything. Storage is cheap.

It's to fuck with Reddit, obviously.

A little bit, I don't like having a lot of useless files and shit and I have a relatively bare desktop, but I'm not special for this and certainly not very extreme minimalist.

>digital minimalism
Retard

I think the posts that quoted you still have your old nick in them

I owned this weaboo site 10 years ago, there are fucking sites out there who archive the whois of all domains. It was like $10 a year.

I just bought the domain again and used fake info for the whois. Best few bucks ever spent.

what the fUCK

To be fair I'm currently in the "just fuck my shit up senpai" mentality. It's windows 10, so it can't really get any worse.

If I get enough time and effort to spend on cleaning up, I'll actually get off my ass and get a working linux install instead of bothering with doing anything at all in windows.
>inb4 gnu/linux pasta

Minimalism is the dumbest meme.

>look at how non-conformist and non-consumerist I am
>saved up or went into debt while trashing all his stuff in order to buy overpriced and shit quality furniture and accessories all at once so it looks like le epic minimal meme

This except
>>have the least amount of accounts I need
I have 10 emails for differents purposes and accounts, currently trying to tie it all together with a single mail-account.

>on mobile, use the least amount of apps that I need
I realized years ago most apps are unnecessary, a good custom ROM, Root and Xposed are all I need.

Why not run a home server instead?

Not him but if you have dynamic IP plus your ISP NATs you it's a pain in the ass.

Minimalism doesn't imply consumerism.

I think the ideal kind of minimalism is having a system that:
- Gives you the least amount of mental burden in the form of maintaining it and worrying about it.
- Is simple enough to not overshadow your work in size and complexity.

My general goals are:

- Keep the amount of configuration of my (debian netinstall) system from stock minimal where possible, and making what I do change easily reproducible (i.e. bootstrap using very few instructions written on a piece of paper and automate as much as possible past that). The less I have to remember to get my setup back to normal, the less I have to worry about it breaking.

- Keep maintenance time as close to zero as possible. Updates and backups are automated. Servers run themselves and are, again, semi-automatically bootstrapped and configured. I should be able throw my PC in a river (but not the backups!) and not have to worry or be too inconvenienced beyond not being able to get any work done.

- Script and automate as much as I can. Remembering long commands / processes is mental overhead.

Ideally I'd like to:

- Keep hardware simple. As someone who doesn't care about modern AAA games, I don't need to own a GPU and a massive tower. I'd love to stick with a NUC, or some future Raven Ridge mini-pc (preferably one that doesn't run hotter than the sun, though).

I also don't run a desktop environment (too much ad-hoc customization, hidden functionality, poorly scriptable) and carefully maintain the list of packages I have installed to make sure I know why everything I have is there. For personal files I make sure everything is organized well (especially at the level of separating e.g. the operating system vs valuable documents vs my browser profile, etc.; for backup purposes mainly). I don't use word processors or other WYSIWYG editing tools that create output with unpredictable or inconsistent formatting / metadata. Nothing machine-generated is kept next to my own files.