Why the Ryzen 1700X/1800X is Pointless AND Worthless

Hey Sup Forums I'm going to show you why the R7 1700 is the only logical choice in the Ryzen 7 Lineup.

Okay so the 1700 is rated at 65w TDP while the other two are 95w.

Using a simple formula I can estimate the TDP of an overclocked 1700.

Power increases exponentially with voltage so

TDP * (OC Clock / Stock Clock) * (OC Voltage / Stock Voltage) ^2

I'm getting voltage numbers from here

gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2827-amd-r7-1700-review-amd-competes-with-its-1800x

Let's try 1800X all core

65 * (3700 / 3200) * (1.3 / 1.075)^2
=109.9

So about 15 watts higher than the 1800X, but that's to be expected. Any 1700 can almost certainly achieve this with 1.3 vcore because it goes to 1.3 volts to turbo to 3.7 stock.

>But user, you have to pay the Jew Masters for a CPU cooler to keep that cool!

Ah, but remember AMD bundled an actually decent 95w rated cooler with the 1700? Surely a few watts above and a kick in fan rpms can make up the 15 watt difference. So long as you aren't hitting 85c you're perfectly safe.

AMD doesn't even give you any stock cooler with the 1700X or 1800X, those dirty jews.

So there you have it, any 1700 can become an 1800X, even with the stock cooler.

So I was originally going to buy the 1700 because I saw a similar thing that you did. Givin the lower TDP which retaining very decent core/frequency and bundled with a cooler makes a promising case.

However I'm still considering going for the 1600 when the R5s come out, for essentially the same reasons that I'm interested in the R7 for. Price isn't a big issue to me, but I also don't need a honking machine, so the R5 chip looks appealing. The R7 chip looks appealing because I can buy it now instead of having to wait.

You seem to know more about this than I do. Do you have any reccomendation? I'm looking to build a brand new PC.

Are you gonna be doing intensive shit like rendering all the time? If yes 1700 if no even 1600 is overkill and you can get a R5 1300 and you should be fine.

If you have to upgrade your CPU later down the line AM4 should support it cause AMD said they're gonna stick with AM4 for a long time.

I recommend you get a B350/X370 with a lot of power phases so if you do upgrade your CPU later the board can handle overclocking the big boys.

Do you gayme? I want to build something since my laptop broke but I also want a 4k monitor for the workspace godammit I can't afford two 1080 tis

Doesn't the same apply to the 1400/1600 vs the 1500x/1600x?

I'll be honest, when it comes time to upgrade my PC, I'll probably just sell the one I'm buying now and get a new one.

The only games I'll likely play are LoL/CSGO/Overatch.

The problem with getting an R5 or even R3 over the R7 for me, is that I'll have to wait for it. I kind of want to buy something soon, but the smarter choice seems like to wait.

Yes indeed, senpai.

>1300
I meant 1400 sorry

Up to you man, your use case doesn't look very demanding so you could definitely get away with a R5 1400 no probem. R7 1700 would kind of be a waste.

I have many use cases that would justify a beefier system, but I don't anticipate spending a great amount of consecutive time using it. I'm thinking about getting the 1700 anwyay.

>not going memetua for the quiet cooling
>jew master

>Hey Sup Forums I'm going to show you why the R7 1700 is the only logical choice in the Ryzen 7 Lineup.
already knew that.

sage

When is R3 coming? I just need a basic bitch office pc build. Nointel and Nobully pls.

The 1800X is binned a fair bit higher if siliconlottery is to be believed.

The 1600 is THE cpu to buy.

I've done value comparisons between the 4/6/8 core ryzens and the 6 core is the sweet spot for price / performance.

Q3 or Q4, but the low end R3 chips are going to be overkill and more expensive than g4560 or g4600 pentiums which are more than sufficient for office work.

These are based on MSRP prices

1400 = $42.25 per core
1600 = $36.5 per core
1700 = $39.87 per core

Keep in mind these are all the exact same chip under the lid so equal frequency will give equal performance across the entire spectrum.

1600 is the buy.

Below is correct, but I would suggest holding out for new APU's if you're a team-red-fag who cares. Might be something worth picking up.

1600 looks tasty.

Will AMD drop the price again to make the R7'-1xxx series price competitive with Intels i7-7xxx series chips?

holy fuck this is hilarious

learn what TDP actually is you astronomical retard

But they are already?

No, I want the AMD / Intel price gap back.

If they're both at ~$500, then who wouldn't just buy the slightly superior i7-7700k CPU.

the r7's are not supposed to fight against the 7xxx intel's
the r5's are, and they're much cheaper

I wasn't implying it was anything other than thermal output.