Why does everyone learn programming online all of a sudden? I mean, what could you do with it...

Why does everyone learn programming online all of a sudden? I mean, what could you do with it? Without a BSc you won't actually get hired or anything.

because you can get into webdev if you actually do 1000 hours of self study and make cool projects. everyone burns out after a couple weeks and gives up though

Indians get hired so your point is moot, pajeet.

No, idiot, you learn programming online BEFORE you get your degree. You didn't seriously take your first programming course without already knowing C, did you? You need a degree AND projects under your belt to get a job, so it's important to start early.

>Why does everyone learn programming online all of a sudden?
It's a money making racket for people who had enough money/resources to line up just alongside the "programming" boom. Get some saps to pay $50-100 for a "nanodegree" or whatever the fuck by giving them some pre-recorded classes and a final project. Repeat for all the skills they need for a job, and promise that the degree has some form of legitimacy or promise a job once the track is finished and rake in even more cash from recruiting.

Same deal with bootcamps.

What? They are learning for free. I'm not talking about "online degrees".

Software dev is like the one field where you can get hired without a degree.
The chance is above zero percent and that's enough to motivate people.

College for computer related careers is a literal scam.

Nah, college for programming related careers. Some people actually require computer scientists but they expect PhD's and shit.

Because there is a market for dime a dozen programmers despite the fact they produce hideous amounts of fail the old guys have to fix.

Years of experience and working in industry vs degree. Yeah i wonder why the 'old guys' have to fix everything

nice skill to have, but as the other user mention, I would say the burnout rate is high. at least in web dev.

I think this is because a lot of this online shit is real easy and because you don't have to set up an enviornment it's just dopamine rushes every time you finish a "level". stuck? there's always some sort of hint and shit.

I think what weeds people out is when they actually transition over into using tools. an actual text editor, git, command line, etc. no more handholding so when you get an error you can't just click some button to give you answer. that type of shit.

as for hiring though, you'd be surprised. usually it's freelance until you have a good portfolio and once you get your first real job, then your next jobs will be easier because you have real exp under your belt. or you can go entrepreneur and start a SaaS app or some shit

>I think this is because a lot of this online shit is real easy and because you don't have to set up an enviornment it's just dopamine rushes every time you finish a "level". stuck? there's always some sort of hint and shit.
That's very true for most sites, but for some not true at all. They're just as hard as a really uni course.

No its because everyone fucking sucks dick at teaching shit

>"Today we're going to learn the basics of flask - it's super easy"

>mentions wsgi, werkzeug, nginx, gunicorn in passing assuming you're familiar with webops

Honestly this entire field is filled with cancer; it's easier to write an entire single page react app than it is to get your environment set up for it

plus there's new frameworks released every week; literally the entire field of web dev is cancer there's so much "misc" shit that's required that clouds so many beginners

10 years ago frontend was html/css/js (and basic js at that, moving an element across the page)

present day: haml, responsive design, mobile-first development, sass, less, itcss, oocss, smacss, build systems like gulp, then different build systems that are fucking identical like grunt, then webpack for some retarded fucking reason, and that's just html/css, not to even mention javascript

I do it and I'm an accountant, why? It helps me get shit done, I do excel macros with VBA and AHK. It's not "real programming" as others would argue, but they are convenient enough to work with anywhere without installing some bloated IDE.

I went into school knowing absolutely nothing about programming. Now I'm making 120k a year.

>dad works in software and he tells me all the time "oh you don't need a degree at all, it doesn't mean anything!"
>look at his company's website
>careers section
>all the openings have the "Bachelor's degree in CS or related field required" line
What they don't tell you is, if you don't have that "worthless" computer science degree, be prepared to put in thousands of hours of hard ass work just to be on EQUAL playing field as all the Chads who got their degrees with minimal effort-- also those Chads are getting paid more than you are because they have an education, and also they are on the fast-track to management while you break your nuts off in a cubicle and worry about "beautiful code"

This. Without a degree its hard to get your foot through the door, internships etc

>tfw I got an internship my second semester deep into my cs degree and after a month and a half they offered me a full-time job

indians are half of CS grads

>Having a degree makes you a chad

>the only reason to learn is to get a job
i hate normals so much

>muh academia for the sake of learning
might as well be an arts major then

Same except i ddnt go to college instead i studied react now im making 180k a year at 23 as a senior react dev in nyc

explain your logic

Enjoy your webasm-deprecated career. Food stamps in your future.

you won't be getting a job being an art's major
>but I love literature and history

where did he say that?

There's plenty of jobs in graphic design working for companies or being a freelancer. It might not always pay well but if you're doing what you love it's better than doing something you hate.

art majors don't do graphic design you dup

because programming is easy as shit and you can get a job by just learning how to balance a binary tree

They could though. Unless being an art major means just studying art and not doing any art.

The government wants more kids to get into IT. It's a prestige thing.
Can't have all our IT positions filled by cheap H1B potential terrorists. Better to have them filled by cheap locals. The more kids trained on IT the lower the wages are going to be.