/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to produce a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

hodinkee.com/articles/the-seiko-prospex-diver-sla017-based-on-the-first-seiko-diver-6217-from-1965-and-the-prospex-diver-s
test1.miltat.com/
strapcode.com/store/index.php
youtube.com/watch?v=CPS7aNCAwAA
imgur.com/a/6CNO8
aliexpress.com/item/Wholesale-10PCS-Lot-18-mm-Watchband-MultiColor-Nato-Strap-Watch-Band-18mm-Waterproof-Watch-Strap/32398217950.html
youtube.com/watch?v=G6WnyVzZRBc
toxicnatos.myshopify.com/
timefactors.com/natostraps.htm
watchworx.co.uk/pages/lwb/NatoG10.htm
natostrapco.com/
crownandbuckle.com/straps-by-type/natos/nato-straps.html
watchgecko.com/
thestrapsmith.com/
timefactors.com/rhinostraps.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>1100USD for nuSeiko divers

I'm still pissed

How common is the 7S26 movement from seiko?

Get a Mako USA II

Honestly that pricing is nonsensical for 6r15 powered models with rubber straps. The titanium cased, titanium bracelet 6r15 powered Shogun is cheaper. That makes no sense at all.

>1100USD
Where are you getting this number?

Arizona finetime is offering pre-orders on SPB053 for 800 dollars and they're generally never the cheapest option.

hodinkee.com/articles/the-seiko-prospex-diver-sla017-based-on-the-first-seiko-diver-6217-from-1965-and-the-prospex-diver-s

that's for the rubber bracelet. MSRP is $971. black metal bracelet is $1100

both still absurd pricing

>MSRP

Pre-order thru az finetime still isn't 1100. If you pay MSRP you're fucked.

the point is it's still going to be in 800-1000 range no matter what when feature wise it should cost 400

Go work at McDonald's for a couple weeks

You would be so upset at the GS spring drive divers

>800-1000
That's what AZ finetime is offering and they're an expensive AD.

SKX173 on amazon right now = 220
SKX173 on AZfine right now = 315

That's like over a 40% increase in price over amazon.

Incredibly common.

It's in nearly every 5

Anyone know anything about this watch? I found it going through a chest me and my dad found at her old house that somehow got passed over when she died. She died in 1973, so it hasn't been touched since at least then, and the strap looks kinda newer than the face, but my grandma says she thinks she remembers her wearing it as a little girl, which would be the late 40s/early 50s.

All it says is "elba" on the front and nothing on the back, and I'd rather not open it up if I don't have to. It needs to be winded up and still works perfectly, so I'd rather not risk wrecking it. Pic related, the watch

The picture didn't post for some reason

>bracelet MSRP 1100

SBBN035 is MRSP similar to that (129k JPY = 1160USD)

You can get that from 860 from seiya.

So I would expect the range to look more like 600-800, not 800-1000. So more like SAR* SDGM range of price.

Keep in mind, depending how many people are excited to get their hands on one when it comes out, the prices may be slightly inflated on release, compared to where they may be months after release.

And I would put money on being able to getting a decent little discount on a good conditioned used one a few months after release. Inevitably someone will want/need to sell with only having worn the watch very little. These aren't limited like the 8L one.

I think maybe I will order a replacement Mako II. I checked out the Mako II USA and I like the end links and crystal better, but the dial and bezel are much worse in my opinion and I would not spend twice as much to have to put up with them.

It really needs a new strap but I like it so far

What were they thinking?

They are advertising the Grand Seiko. They would like people to purchase them.

Can someone post that brand guide picture again, please?

>casio: derrorisd Xddd
>seiko: mustard race folded 1000 times, worth almost 30 dollars secondhand
>vostok: Хopoшиe дaйвepы Cyкa Блять
>sinn: JUST
>timex: timex

>curved lugs
>that bracelet
We wuz speedmasters an shieet

are you retarded?

If you don't see the likeness, I fear you may be

lugs are similar, but not the same. Speedmasters have a full taper.

best explorer 1016 homage?

Obviously, if I had money for the rolex, I wouldn't be asking this question.

Was thinking of the Smiths prs-25, but its a big watch compared to the og. Its like 40mm in diameter and almost 50mm lug to lug. Not really digging those measurements.

Seiko with aftermarket dial

Sup faggots

Dude, leave it to Sup Forums to say that curved lugs and an oyster bracelet is somehow speedmaster specific qualities.

Now if only Omega could manage either of them as well as Seiko.

>not removing the ugly power reserve
>inelegant SPRING DRIVE font

which strapcode is the actual website?
test1.miltat.com/
or
strapcode.com/store/index.php

>One has a subdomain called "test1"
>The other has "Welcome to Nginx!" as the title of every page

They both look like beta sites to me.

snk109 daily plug

i contemplated this idea, but the 7s26 movement is not appealing to me. Need hacking + hand winding.

Don't you just cringe when you bang your wrist on something and see a nice scratch on the bezel of your watch?

*buys all the Seiko 5s in the world along with Seiko 5 patents and production capability*

>Seiko releases brand new movement and the Seiko 6 line

Your bezel is off by one click.

You guys might find this interesting youtube.com/watch?v=CPS7aNCAwAA

If I don't wear the Seiko 5's for a week at a time and it runs out of reserve power, do I simply wind it up again? The amazon reviews seem to indicate a recent QC problem. Think they're still good to go?

Any other solid watch suggestions under $50?

What is perspective

ok my fellow negroes, buying 10x NATO straps from aliexpress
which are the most essential colors?

Also, has anyone here purchased an aliex/ebay fine or heavy mesh band? thinking about picking up a few

How dangerously do you live?

The word you're looking for is "parallax error". But your bezel is off by one click.

1, 4, 5, 9, 11, 49, 25

depends on the day I guess
sometimes it's
>the nicest guy you'll ever meet
other days it's
>twisted psychopath

>If I don't wear the Seiko 5's for a week at a time and it runs out of reserve power, do I simply wind it up again? The amazon reviews seem to indicate a recent QC problem. Think they're still good to go?

I got mine on March 9. No issues to report. Mine loses about 30s per week of time, so for the price I'm pretty damn happy with it.

And you cant wind this model. It has a 42hr power reserve if you don't have it on your wrist.

>no 23, 46, 48, 60, 64

>Mine loses about 30s per week of time,
Jesus christ, my casios lose 4 seconds a month. Is 30 seconds a week normal for automatics?

So basically if I rotate through my watches, or don't wear it for a week, I have to spaz out and shake it to wind it up?

That's a 60 click bezel, not a 120 click. Were it off by one click, the pip would be on the 59 fully, and it seems to be in between. You are experiencing a parallax error.

Then the bezel is attached crooked. You can follow the lines down. There is no parallax error.

Can someone explain the appeal of mechanicals? You all seem like cucks honestly. Mechanicucks. Mech-ucks for short.
>loses tons of time
>more expensive for no reason
>have to have it serviced (which none of you do) which costs thousands of dollars over your lifetime if you have more than one watch
Is there an answer other than "it's a work of art"? Are mechanicals truly the lensless glasses + fedora of the watch world?
>m-muh authenticity
>y-you're just a pleb...!

I think so. Unless you spend thousands on one. Its a reality of owning a mechanical device.

Then get some conservative mute / cool colors and others that are louder.
user I'm staring at the motherfucker, believe me it's fine.

imgur.com/a/6CNO8

>costs thousands of dollars

This is what smartwatch shills actually believe.

>over the course of your life
pay up or give the watch to someone who will take care of it, pleb

Yup! But I bought this watch with the intention of it being my main watch so that doesn't affect me.

>pleb

So, you picked up from context that this is a pejorative, but have no idea what it means?

Guess I'm sticking with Quartz then. I can't be assed to be constantly maintaining a piece of jewelry.

All watches are works of art that appeal to different people. Personally, i cant stand the ticking of quartz as it seems so basic. To the majority of people spending 5k on a watch, they wont want it to have the same ticking aesthetic of a $10 Casio. They want something that moves smoothly, something that visually seems more quality and will amaze them every time they stop to look at the time.

I didn't buy it specifically because it is mechanical. I bought it because I liked the way it looked and I wanted it to not run out of batteries. There is also a similar priced citizen eco drive watch I was looking at, yes it would keep time much better, but appearance wise it lost out for me.

can u post link here?

I hate watches. I hate that I have to buy a rolex or omega or patek to blend in with the other richfags

this isn't as clever as you think it is

he's not the OP of that album

I'm gonna get a hot pink one for my terrorist.

aliexpress.com/item/Wholesale-10PCS-Lot-18-mm-Watchband-MultiColor-Nato-Strap-Watch-Band-18mm-Waterproof-Watch-Strap/32398217950.html

How do I justify getting a grand seiko instead of one of the other swiss brands?

Lets say we are comparing something with the typical automatic movement and a date display (like the grand seiko 9s65). How does it compare to say:

a) generic swatch owned brand with a generic ETA
b) Tudor
c) Rolex
d) JLC
e) the big 3, Audemars, Patek or VC

How do I compare them? What would I look out for?

1) Finishing
2) Reliability
3) Toughness
4) Ease of servicing?
5) Marketing??
6) History???
7) other stuff????

For all the criticisms about how common the ETA or rolex movements are I can imagine that getting them serviced would be easier and cheaper.

>which are the most essential colors?
What does it even matter? Those straps are shite and will look like shit after mere days of having worn them.

Good NATO straps aren't even that expensive, you're merely saving $2 only to miss on perfect quality and get garbage instead.

Depends how hard Rolex keeps fighting to fuck over independent servicers. That goes for the entire Swiss watch industry as a whole though.

You should get a loupe and taking a look at some high end watches. GS finishing is going to be better than nearly anything even close to the price.

I haven't heard of reliability issues.

Toughness is mostly case and crystal material, GS use 316L steel, like most everyone else. But they also use a titanium alloy which I know nothing about, and Rolex uses 904L.

Send it to japan I think, which is not really any different than sending a high end Swiss watch back to Switzerland for an American. People in Asia or Europe may feel these two are very different though.

Seiko doesn't market GS nearly as much as they should.

Look up GS history if you're interested. It's long and a lot of it will be lost in Japanese, as GS international launch was only 7 years ago. They launched internationally after 50 years of making them.

>How do I justify getting a grand seiko instead of one of the other swiss brands?
Tru justifying getting a swiss brand instead of a grand seiko.

Quickly things will become evident.

>Good NATO straps aren't even that expensive, you're merely saving $2 only to miss on perfect quality and get garbage instead.
If that's true, link me. I suspect that whatever you're sperging about is probably the same exact strap, but if it's not then I'll go with what you suggest.

Phatkat reviews a Precisionist.

youtube.com/watch?v=G6WnyVzZRBc

Highlights:
- Anxiety about what he paid
- Trying to film in the bathroom
- The movement is "like Rolex"
- Failing at "Hey Google"

These better be free open source watches.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Omega, is in fact, ETA/Omega, or as I've recently taken to calling it, ETA plus Omega. Omega is not a watch manufacturer unto itself, but rather another Swiss component of a fully functioning watch conglomerate made useful by the ETA movements, Chinese cases and vital dial components comprising a full watch as defined by COSC.
Many watch owners wear a modified version of an ETA movement every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the model of ETA movement which is widely used today is often called Omega, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically an ebauche, developed by the Swatch Group.
There really is an Omega, and these people are wearing it, but it is just a cosmetic part of the watch they wear. Omega is the brand: the advertising agency that determines the names and cosmetic designs of the watches. The design is an essential part of a watch, but useless by itself; it can only function when fitted with a completed movement. Omega is normally manufactured in combination with an ETA movement: the whole watch is basically an ebauche with Chinese parts added, or ETA/Omega. All the so-called Swiss watches are really distributions of ETA movements in Chinese cases!

If you want them to last more than a couple of months of daily wear, you should get straps that are sewn, not ultrasonically welded.

The ones you linked are the rock-bottom cheap chinkshit ultrasonic welded type. Buying 10 is enough of a sample of the manufacturer's quality that I would not be surprised if 2-3 of them arrived already falling apart.

Highest quality available, albeit only military colors:
toxicnatos.myshopify.com/
timefactors.com/natostraps.htm
watchworx.co.uk/pages/lwb/NatoG10.htm

Good quality and more colors than average:
natostrapco.com/
crownandbuckle.com/straps-by-type/natos/nato-straps.html
watchgecko.com/

Quality leather NATOs:
thestrapsmith.com/

k but you said that I'm saving $2, these are $1.60 each, so being a bit conservative you're implying that I can get high-quality straps for $3-5 a pop

link me man

No, you forgot to factor in lifespan. It's a consumable item. Your proposed order of 10 chinkshits is the equivalent of less than one real NATO strap.

>If you want them to last more than a couple of months of daily wear, you should get straps that are sewn, not ultrasonically welded.
Actually the highest quality ones I got are welded ones. But then, there's different qualities of welding, and while indeed chinks are poorly welded, I can certainly attest to the durability of quality welded ones. And then there's the same issues with sewn ones, there's quality ones, and there's shit ones.

Get a Zuludiver, and foggetababautit

>No, you forgot to factor in lifespan. It's a consumable item. Your proposed order of 10 chinkshits is the equivalent of less than one real NATO strap.
Source: your ass

Okay, go for it, but don't say you weren't warned by a half-dozen people on /wt/ that they were going to be shit.

you went from zero to spergtard in 10 seconds flat meanwhile I'm just asking for resources
>quote what someone said
>hur dur you're stupid for noticing this contradiction
this condescending attitude of yours must work really well IRL bro

Thanks

On the left, a $2 chink strap worn for a week. Notice the color has started fading around the hole where it was fastened. It's also horribly out of shape for such a recent strap.

On the right, a $10 quality zulu worn for 12 years. It's in better shape than the chink strap. If I was to let it rest for a few days so it reshapes to its actual form, and wash it, it'd look as good as new.

pic

Now with picture.

Can't help but assume that you're simply exaggerating/embellishing to prove your otherwise reasonable point.
>you're saving $2
simple math indicates that this is wrong
>w-well you didn't account for lifetime cost!
I never said anything of the sort, you read that into my post in response to me pointing out the $2 FUD
now I see you claiming that one strap is shit in a week and the other was $10 and has lasted 12 years

What are the odds you can actually link me to a $10 strap which will last 12 years?
Do you see why I'm skeptical?
>inb4 more condescension, unnecessary embellishment, etc

There's no need for exaggeration. Unless you seriously think there's no difference between a $2 and a $10 strap. Or maybe you never bought anything from chinks and don't know of their crafts. I didn't do any math either, I'm just posting a picture.

The strap that lasted me 12 years is actually a Rhino strap sold here: timefactors.com/rhinostraps.htm
They're sold for £10 today, that's barely more expensive than what I paid for years ago, and the quality is insane.

>Unless you seriously think there's no difference between a $2 and a $10 strap
There you go again

Anyway, I'm not seeing it on that site in your color, and you also failed to take into account shipping and USD conversion etc
>muh $10

You should maybe try not coming on so strong in the future, because from where I'm sitting you're just autistically ranting at a guy who is otherwise genuinely interested in what you have to say

I don't get what's autistic about saying the strap I paid $10 for is better than the one I paid $2 for. You speculated $2 straps are the same as $10 ones. Well, they're not. Now certainly things have changed 12 years later, and yes it's a couple dollars more expensive today, but the quality is the same.

If you want to know how you'll get chinked:
- incredibly short, may not be long enough is large wrist
- made of shitty nylon, or not nylon
- shitty weave that won't hold
- incredibly thin and fragile
- poorly heat welded or glued
- hardware made of shitty bent sheet metal or brass that'll age like shit
- rings are unsoldered and come apart easily
- ZULU rings are bent hollow tubes, so light they wiggle around which is annoying as fuck
- holes and ends aren't finished properly and will fray quickly

NATO straps are crazy cheap to begin with, it'd be a waste to go for the cheapest ones when a long and thick durable nylon strap with soldered stainless steel hardware and proper sealing is very affordable. You've been warned, do as you wish.

>You speculated $2 straps are the same as $10 ones
jesus christ dude, just fuck off, you have actual autism