DE

What is your favorite desktop environment and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

fvwm.org/screenshots/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

KDE because I'm not a GNOME nigger.

GNOME because you can't use KDE shit with tiling wms.

Xfce because I'm not a GNOMEnigger or a KDEnigger

Windows

CDE

Do you still have to enable a bunch of insecure shit to use it?

Gnome because plasma is a steaming pile of ricer bullshit.

lxde........because i like it

>using a DE

All DEs are trash.
Openbox, awesome, and i3 are the best WMs.
i3 I would say is just for laptops though.

Unity obviously

EXWM

Just use FVWM, it looks like CDE, but is actually usable and secure.

If I have to use a DE, I'd choose Mate.
Otherwise I'll go with Openbox or I3 depending on if it's a desktop or a laptop.

Stallman doesn't approve.

A E S T H E T I C
fvwm.org/screenshots/

xmonad w/ dmenu&xmobar

It just feels perfect

KDE, because I love all the customizability.

It can customize a ton of things that no other desktop can -- to take one example: the ability to allow windows to cover the panel bars.

The defaults are pretty stupid, but the customizability makes up for it.

>2017
>DE

>xfce
>not gnome

You will never be as aesthetic as TWM.

I3wm, because DE's are for slow people.

KDE
>GOAT file browser and archive manager, integrated well into the DE
>GOAT quicklauncher set to alt-space by default, which was my preferred key combo before ever using KDE
>No need for a tweak tool because it has more functionality and customization than any DE with a tweak tool by default
>Easy to get reasonably light if you know how to open up the "desktop effects" panel
>Actually legitimately stable if you run it in openSUSE which is my preferred distro anyway (I can see why people who never move on from Kubuntu/KDE Neon would say it's buggy trash - on those distros, it actually is)

Gnome, because it's good with dual monitors.

AwesomeWM because it reintroduced me to Lua, introduced me to Tiling WM's, feels extre /comfy/, and still has windowing for muh games.

Seconding KDE, but only because i have a lot of kwin scripts and global shortcuts that I've built up in it over the years. If shit got wiped I'd be fucked on defaults.

Also activities are pretty sweet.

Depends on the situation.

i3-gaps/Openbox on my home computer for simplicity and AESTHETICS. This leads me to using KDE as my main DE when I want one, as it integrates well with Openbox. GNOME on my work computer because the GNOME shell's integration with Evolution is awesome for keeping track of emails/calendar reminders via notifications.

What sort of scripts/shortcuts do you use? I haven't really bothered with either...or activities, for that matter.

Well for kwin there's a lot of things I can do to directly counter say some fullscreen-app wanting full screen. Other than a shortcut to toggle window decorations and some to control multi-monitor stuff it's mostly one-off.
>Ignore Resize Requests from this application
Yeah fuck that bitch trying to take up >1screen or some retarded geometry
>Always start program X on screen 1
Handy stuff.
>Mininum width for X is screen width, height is variable
I do some tiling-esque shit so those come in handy. There was at some point in like kde4 a script that let you TWM kde but i don't think i ever got it working.

That's a good combination if you're trying to project full autism

i3 since its aesthetic as fuck

>shortcut to toggle window decorations
I could see that being nice in combination with global menus and the active window control panel widget you can get (Adds close/minimize/maximize buttons to the bar) for maximizing screen real estate.

Gonna do that one for certain, thanks for the idea. I do have a few shortcuts but they're just really basic things: alt-1 for terminal, alt-2 for Dolphin, alt-3 for system monitor. That's it. As far as launching programs, it seems unnecessary when the quicklaunch is so easy to access.

As for activities they're pretty fucking stronk, like you can have an activity reserved for a specific set of applications and it just fires them all up when you start it. Like a separate desktop session rather than a simple virtual desktop. But then KDE has those too so I tend to use activities exclusively and stick with 1 virtual desktop (per activity)

what's the bar?

I like them all. I have several installed, I use one for a few days and then switch.

I've heard people say the combination of activities and virtual desktops can lead to some really intricate setups. Iunno - I fully get why they're useful and can lead to better productivity, but every time I try altering my habits to fit them in I end up reverting to standard, one-desktop and no activities setup.

I like DWM.exe, I use it forever and then I just stay with it.

Not a DE, but AwesomeWM.
Tiling is not a meme, IF you spend a lot of time in Vi, CLI stuff.
It also written in Lua and configured in Lua, which I find awesome!

Simplest example of me using activities is me leaving an email client open on a second activity, while my alt+tab and task manager shit is just showing current activity. Still pops up notifications and stuff globally but it's way the fuck out of the way. Only time I think i ever used multiple desktops was spinnan cubez

Nice pepe, probably the best thing to come out of arch after all these years

That's sensible.
I'm going to chalk my lack of use for activities/workspaces up to just not needing them. I've never used a standalone email client, let alone found use to have one open at all times, for instance.

They still look nifty though.

Well beyond just having it open in the background (which virtual desktops can do) you can configure certain activities to fire up on boot. If I wanted a gaming activity I could have it start up steam and playonlinux or something in a second activity all at once or something similar. Fire up an IDE and your projects directory in dolhpin and maybe some browser pointing at a reference site somewhere.

Not a huge leap from doing that sort of thing any other way, really. The use case is common applications for specific activities. If you don't need that you're not going to benefit.

XFCE for evaaaaar

Being able to pop the three things I always open on boot (firefox, deadbeef, dolphin) would be nice.

I'm gonna dick around with those things and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the motivation.

You can do that with sessions too, lots of options. Activities are pretty user friendly by comparison though, imo. Also weird stuff like... individual activity power management which I never got int.