So Sup Forums

So Sup Forums

Are you certified?

>being forced to spend $200 on a test every 3 years just to be considered "qualified" to fix little jimmys alien ware computer

Don't take this shit unless your job pays for it

Yes

I'm getting Net+ and Sec+ certified next

taking CCNP R/S soon, then probably taking CSA+ since my sec+ is about a year from expiring.

honestly though compTIA are dirty jews and their certs cost more to maintain than they're worth, if they weren't so easy by comparison i would pick up a real vendor cert for DoD compliance.

cert haters are just jelly that they dumped 30 grand into a bachelors in some information systems bullshit and can't get out of helpdesk hell while lazy fucks that spent 300 bucks on a CCNA straight out of highschool are making twice as much.

Someone gave me an A+ book in the 90s, half the book was on printers so I trashed it.

it's 90% identifying hardware standards with some simple break/fix kind of troubleshooting stuff sprinkled in. the average nerd can probably walk in and pass it blind.

Army pays for the goods

yes and the Network+ and the Security+ there
only good to get your foot in the door after that if the company offers them take them
I still am taking desktop support roles even with all 3

OSCP masterrace checking in

There is a legitimate reason to hate certs. Many certs are trash at qualifying someone for a job, or are blatant cash grabs. Microsoft certs in particular are notoriously bad at demonstrating someone can do the actual work. Cisco certs are generally good, Microsoft certs are alright but generally are not a good indicator that someone can perform their work duties, and Comptia certs are a waste of money unless you are told to get them.

Also I have no clue where you live but generally IS bachelor holders are trapped in boring as shit role where they spend most of their time writing requirements documents, and sitting through endless meetings. IT diploma holders are trapped in helldesk until they can prove their worth and move up to a sysadmin position. Finally, people with only a cert are told to fuck off unless they have work experience or the cert is a CCNA.

Trade schools were always the better option.

Mid-December I went ahead and ordered the All-in-One A+ Exam Guide by Mike Meyers off Amazon. Was around $35, I happened to have $35 in gift cards (so essentially the book was free). So far looks like a good, single resource to self-learn more about computers and related.
How well received would my resume be if I stated I am studying an A+ guide?

>Studying A+
>Studying remedial computer repair
it would probably be worse, just complete the thing and be done with it.

>How well received would my resume be if I stated I am studying an A+ guide?

It won't make your resume look any better if that's what you're hoping.

Currently it has phone bullshit and various windows 7 and windows 8 hands on practicals that mark you on every click you take to complete the task.

>windows

how very vendor neutral of you, compTIA

i'd imagine it's still pretty basic stuff though, right? like dropping a static IP or changing power settings?

Yeah it's basic stuff if you take a class which is a snooze fest they will give you labs like "create a homegroup for new users" or "check user logs"

No I have a real degree from Cornell I don't need this nonsense.

>Studying for a few MTA certifications
>for free
Ive heard it wont help but its nice to have especially if its free

The A+ certification is a huge waste of f****** time and money don't God damn do it you f****** moron Jesus f***any job that is requiring an A+ certification is one that you do not want

Comp tia reminds me of the shit classes I had to take especially the forced Cisco classes

>we do our support though fucking Facebook

Fuck off.
I'm saying you're wrong, but fuck off with the self-censoring.

how many machines did you break?

>cert haters are just jelly that they dumped 30 grand into a bachelors in some information systems bullshit and can't get out of helpdesk hell while lazy fucks that spent 300 bucks on a CCNA straight out of highschool are making twice as much.
lol fuck the truth is too much here

i regret doing a BIT when I could have done a diploma in 6 months instead and be so far on track. It took me a long time to get out of level 1 and into a level 2 role.

>not LPIC
wew

>>>/reddit/

Yea well, MS certs have little real value because of the Indian factories that pump braindump powered Pajeets through their doors clutching their poo stained certificates.
Cisco exams require hands-on examination, which excludes those who don't have the means of practicing on real devices and heavily limits the usefulness of brain dumps.

Designated dumping brains

Is this what I need to be a professional ricer?

I've read through the 8th edition twice but I'm not certified

If you want to work as sysadmin you better have one

>LPIC
Literally who

RHCSA/RHCE is the only worthwhile linux cert.

cisco certification is literally a meme

not to shit on LPIC too much since there are plenty of non EL distros in use but red hat does have the market cornered on recognizable linux certs.

> (OP)
>The A+ certification is a huge waste of f****** time and money don't God damn do it you f****** moron Jesus f***any job that is requiring an A+ certification is one that you do not want
Sounds like you failed the test