/pcbg/ - PC Building General - "Cores" Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.

pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.

logicalincrements.com/

>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p
>wait for Ryzen R5s

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.

pastebin.com/F9diF2hA (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-Overclocked-Graphic-VCGGTX10808XGPB-OC/dp/B01JOF7YGY/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1490517278&sr=1-10&keywords=gtx 1080
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/ngzBWX
youtu.be/B58ciXUTlA8?t=2m31s
pcpartpicker.com/user/Rayor/saved/Fj4mGX
pcpartpicker.com/list/8NXsBP
youtube.com/watch?v=h7EOPtAVTzY.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>shilltell edition

dead thread?

thinking of replacing my 670 with a newer card. My pc looks like this

asrock z77
i5 3570k
16gb ram
gtx670
800watt psu

would a 1050 be a worthwhile upgrade? they're about $250 now

Does anyone know if its possible to change the fan on a Zalman 9900?

I currently have a FX 6300 and a GTX 580. Want to upgrade to either a GTX 1060 6gb or RX 470.

Will the 6300 bottleneck?

It's certainly possible but it's going to be a hack job. Like you take a regular case fan and you cut it up so you've just got the central part. Then with this you just stick it with glue to where it should be or whatever.

r8

> 1050
> $250

did you mean 1060 ? get rx 480 if they $20 cheaper

How is a RX480 $400? Also don't spend that much on that oversized case. Get a mid tower and a better GPU

As a intelshill, I got to say I was pretty fucking pissed at Kaby Lake for being the same shit as Sky Lake. And now Coffe Lake is coming around and it's going to be the same shitty bag of fucking shit fuck those cunts at Intel.

new zealand prices bro shits fucked

>250 for a case

>amd

That shit will bottleneck itself

Then what should i get to compete with the new gpu?

>airflow edition

Kek

An Intel 5th gen should be good enough while also being cheap

safe bet : gtx 1050 or rx 460, but may be it worth to try with rx 470

Yea but i want more power than that

>Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset
What?

This seems too good to be true, am I missing something about this 1080? It's nearly $100 cheaper than any other alternatives.

amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-Overclocked-Graphic-VCGGTX10808XGPB-OC/dp/B01JOF7YGY/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1490517278&sr=1-10&keywords=gtx 1080

Which one?

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/ngzBWX

Thoughts?

2 b h m8 if you want to save some dosh, you can buy a rx480 on trade me for around 300 but you won't get a warranty.

Also you are better off buying a 2tb harddrive.

Why is that 1070 nearly $600?

thats Australian prices for you

Also 250 for a case? seriously m8 should buy one of those cheapo case m8 and use the extra monies on graphics card

>dosh
You're alright, friendo.

Help me out Sup Forumsents

Unless your 6300 is running at 5.2GHz, yes, but you will still see a performance improvement by going to the new GPU as the 580 is probably your current bottleneck, and upgrading just the CPU wouldn't give extra performance.
Get a new GPU now.
Upgrade to Ryzen 3 when you can afford it.

Get an R5 1500 or 1600, literally no point in getting an Intel cpu this year.

Yeah m8 it will bottleneck pretty hard

youtu.be/B58ciXUTlA8?t=2m31s

1060 btfo of a 480 so go with the 1060

Thanks Sup Forumsents, ill get a 1060 and probably ryzen when the money comes.

Can some kind anons please share their thought with me?

id say wait until new rx500 series comes out which will be cheaper than current msrp rx480 and drive down rx480 price. rx480 has more vram.

pny is not as well established to sell their cards at a premium price like asus.
still a good card.

fuck off nvidia cuck, stop shilling

If I buy a 480 8GB does it really matter having a i5-7600K or an AMD-8350? I mean, would any of those make my PC fly above Earth or go slow as a fat turtle?

>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>i5 7500
What about going for a 7600k with any of those GPU?

So only considering future proof is Ryzen worth it?

I like to milk out my cpus because I dont game much but its time to upgrade because of RAM issues. My i7 760 paid for its money back, what would you guys recommend me to buy, so it can last a lot of years.

>oh noe someone told the truth!!!!!!
>quick add more vram!!!!!

pcpartpicker.com/user/Rayor/saved/Fj4mGX
The primary purposes are to act as a NAS and Plex server for the house. The SSD is obviously for the OS, and the USB drive is for backing up the SSD. The 2TB drives would be run in a RAID 6 array, and the 6TB drive would be for periodic backups of the whole array. The 92mm fan is supposed to replace the fan on the 5 drive hotswap bay.
Is there anything outright retarded with this setup? I've never built a server before, so I'm kinda nervous and would appreciate any help.

Here's my list, i'm kinda new to this whole PC building business so any advice would be appreciated

pcpartpicker.com/list/8NXsBP

I'd like to use it mainly for gaming but for working/normal daily tasks as well

BTW I'm still unsure about some parts like if I need a sound card or fan controller

Depends, can you change your attitude?

Pic related is my current build.

It's three years old, so it's possible for me to make a new build and get a tax return from it (Germanfag here).

My uses include gaming and emulation (currently Nox Android emulation, I could see using Cemu in the future).

But what to upgrade? Upgrading my 4670k doesn't seem very cost efficient for the little gains it actually gets, considering I would have to get a new Mobo, a new CPU and DDR4 Ram.

Should I just upgrade my GPU and postpone upgrading my build for tax returns until Intel/AMD get their shit together? And if so, what GPU should I get?

While I try to like AMD, their GPUs have always been shit for me, with the last two dying around the end of the 2-year warranty (5770 and 7850), while my current GTX 770 is still doing its job after over 3 years.

I'm thinking about getting a GTX 1070. Thoughts?

Trying to update my old pc i3
Shoud i go gpu first?
Thinking of a 1060
or jump in the rx480 meme?

Is this case any good?

first overclock your cpu ffs and yes gtx1070 is a good pick.

Depends on how gay you are.

they are both neck and neck but 1060 is usually better. videos like this help. youtube.com/watch?v=h7EOPtAVTzY.

> GTX 1070

What aftermarket model does Sup Forums prefer?

Gigabyte, or Zotac. PNY is good too. I prefer reliability ;).

Hello, need some advice from someone with a good deal of experience. I've been assembling gaming consoles from child. My computer is now almost totally AIO cooled, one on the cpu one on the gpu. They're both mounted in the front of my case. Further more I have 2 ~60 cfm intakes on the top and the PWM fan that comes with the hyper 212 as an exhaust and my gpu being a hybrid blower is also an exhaust.
This thing puts out an ungoly amount of heat. More than my fucking radiator. My 980ti is clocked HIGH at 1500mhz and runs at 60c even with the AIO. My CPU is clocked high, [email protected] and runs at about 50c under my normal load.

Is 60c through an AIO dangerous? All of the ones I've owned in the past never let the part get that hot but the 980ti is a big chip and I have a custom bios. Also I was thinking about mounting the GPU's radiator in the rear exhaust spot yet using it as intake and then reversing both fans on the top to be exhaust. Would that be superior?
Please help me optimize cooling.
Oh and how do I manage the speed of the gpu's radiator fan? Edit the bios?

>the 980ti is a big chip
For you

60c is very dangerous through any cooling solution. In fact, I would panic if my computer ever went above 35c. I have a zero phase change cooling rig that cools both my gpus, (two titan xp) and cpu, an intel 6950x and they never break 20c.

Your computer is probably broken. Consider an RMA.

>baiting this hard

idk, that's pretty sound logic to me.

Its also logical that the sun revolves around the earth. After all the sun moves in the sky each day but i've never seen the earth move.

Dude, consider the highest temp when you can begin worrying as manufacturer's critical minus 10-15c.
Something like
>60c is very dangerous through any cooling solution. In fact, I would panic if my computer ever went above 35c.
sounds retarded. It's naturally overcooled and you have nothing to worry about
I don't have gayming rigs, but i have A10-7850k running folding@home all day for a long time.

I want to connect 3 high wattage fans (>6 watts) to a single fan connector on my motherboard.

Will this fuck up my motherboard?

> I prefer reliability ;).

I'd be more concerned over how many amps they pull.

>I'd be more concerned over how many amps they pull.
0,55 each. Is that going to be a problem?I know jack shit about electricity.

Most motherboard fan headers are rated for 1A (some boards that have dedicated headers for water pumps can feed 3A).

Get the RX 480, it's generally better

Alright, thanks. I guess I'll have to settle for the 2000 RPM version.

You could just, y'know, read your motherboard manual and find out what header is rated for what.

I want the g4650+rx470 build, which people say is the best for the buck

Is the bottleneck thing really that bad? I mean, from what I can see, it will still suit my needs pretty well

I did look that up but it doesn't say anything about amerage.

SSD or Raid0?

SSD, Raid0 is pretty useless actually

Well it's better than just one drive and redundancy is never really wasted, but it's just not going to compare.

kek. I mean of course it's fine for air with heat pipes where the coolant is supposed to vaporize and the cards are fine into the 80c range but I've just never had an AIO in particular work this hard. Will the pump try to circulate faster and reduce it's life span, is a waater cooler at 60c dissipating way more heat than a air cooler at 60c and thats why my room is an oven

Raid 0 doesn't have redundancy, if one of the disks dies your data is fucked.

get the fractal design define S

no better case

Oh yeah, I'm thinking of raid1.

I'm gonna be getting a ryzen 5 1600x. What gpu would you guys recommend with it? So far I've been thinking of the gtx 1070.

INTEL ADVERTISERS BUY ME A BEER BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO FUCK ME,
THANKS
-EVERY SYSADMIN AND DECISION MAKER HERE

I use my old GPU(480) until Vega/Volta release and buy a better one

Strange problem:

New build has worked fine for over a month.

Randomly, it shut off and started going crazy trying to auto-restart. A repetitive clicking sound is heard, and the light on my GPU (Zotec 1080) keeps flashing on and off. This will not stop until I kill power from turning off the PSU. If I try to start, it happens again.

What could cause such a thing?

pny is the powercolor of nvidia. They are meme'd hard for being cheap but in reality are still better than reference so I don't see what's so bad about either brand. I'd say go for it.

>buying pny

eat from the dollar menu for another month senpai, you wont regret it.

pny used to be a good company but they turned to shit

You do realise PNY build quadros for Nvidia right?

>4x8pin for a single card
jesus christ

How's this combo:
- Sapphire Radeon Nitro Plus RX 480 OC 8GB GDDR5
- Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
- Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P
- Cooler Master Hyper 212X
- 16 GB DDR4 2133 KINGSTON CL15

Thats an air cooled 295x2 - so thats two hawaii dies on a single board.

I am considering i5-7600K but I'm not planning on OC. Howevre the K version always has higher OOB speed. 1080p gaming.
1) Is it waste of money?
2) Had I still decided to buy this. If I'm not plan on OC-ing should I get B-series mobo?

>1) Is it waste of money?

For 100mhz over its locked little brother, the 7600, yes.

>If I'm not plan on OC-ing should I get B-series mobo?

Unless you need a feature found on higher tier mobos (such as more sata ports or something) yes, get a B series board.

pricony casethano here

any advise for silent 650w PSU?

>buying intel
>in 2017
dont

that or wait for vega

so fucking what? just because one small insignificant divison of a company pours its resources and time and effort into one thing doesn't mean the rest of it is worth a shit.

HP elitebooks are great, does that mean you're gonna buy HP inkjet printers? fuck no, and if you do you're a god damn dumbass.

why

I stand by it

480>1060

undeniable fact, come one what kind of mental gymnastics do you have in mind to try and convince yourself that the 1060 is better?

Upon further inspection:

GPU not the problem as I took it out.

My Motherboard dubug light indicates it can't find the CPU. Well, I think at least. The light is flashing on and off with the clicking noise (mobo guides indicates debug lights stay on continously).

Before I start messing with the CPU, what should I take into consideration?