Do you touch type Sup Forums?
Is it worth learning or just a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

rapidtyping.com/
typingtest.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

who doesn't?
it should be the minimum to post on Sup Forums

Isn't touch typing just not looking at your keyboard?

How can you not do this?

It's useful but I've been working with so many sysadmins that do not really properly type but have mean knowledge.

I like it though

I thought it was standard for everyone to do this at this point

wait so you look at your keyboard every time you type a word?

how do you not know the layout by now?

Touch typing is definitely the way to go.

The alphabets are the easy ones. The hard part comes while typing symbols.

If you use a computer and your fingers can't remember the position of the keys on your keyboard after a while, you're probably mentally retarded.

There are ones who spend time remembering position of keys and the ones who who actually fucking concentrate on the program you dimwit fucktit.

Touch typing is like focussing on the writing while writing a novel. A complete fucking stupid idea.

I know where to find each key but keep missing the keys if I don't look at them. Usually I'll hit between two keys and get what I didn't want.

I think I only know the area of the keyboard where I should look for a specific key but not the exact position of it.

How can I learn ?

I learned the touch typing by taking typing classes. Only thing I lack is the symbols and numbers (laptop without the numpad)

How can you not? Even jumping to different keyboard layouts in different languages I don't know I can manage to touch type slowly after a week or so.

I learned touch typing by looking at my keys. Eventually everything worked itself out.

The thing about MEMORY is that you don't need to constantly think about the information, it's just knowledge in the background that doesn't require any of your attention to keep in mind.

you don't really spend time remembering. If you use your keyboard for several hours a day your fingers will do it automatically.

Do people even do homerow typing anymore? I just use my index and middle fingers mostly.

I just stopped having to look at the keys after using a computer for a few years. Probably helped that I had access to one ever since I was a toddler.

This. Still don't quite understand how they expected you to use the rest of the hand.

I think this whole thread is just a complete troll. You people can't be this clueless, come on.

quite opposite. when you are like typing something, your energy is wasted on seeking the keys and typing. With touch typing it's in your muscle memory. You think and your hands will automatically type it. No effort required.

>paying to learn typing

If you do anything for work that requires a keyboard it is essential. Only takes a couple hours for a few days using one of the many free websites and you will save you so much time in the long run.

Worth it

I don't think they teach it in schools anymore. Most kids I see just graduating from college are hunt and peck types, even (especially) the "I'm a smart computer geek" Sup Forums aspies.

Kids today can't even spell or capitalize properly, let alone use punctuation.
No, they just mash their fat grubby fingers on a phone screen and pick from the predictive typing menu. It's why posts more than 2 or 3 sentences (or with statistically improbable phrases) are usually met with a bunch of replies like "is this pasta?"

The idea that anyone could actually type something coherent and original is beyond the comprehension of millennials.

help Sup Forums I'm a semi-fast touch typist but I use mostly 2 fingers to type, basically 80% two index fingers. How do I get over this

you dont have to train or anything. just use your computer everyday. start writing a diary for example.

i have been using keyboard 5+ hours for more than 20 years now. dont remember ever looking at the damn keyboard.

this is not a skill, this is not something that makes you better. this is a must.

this is very accurate

start over.

it's just a bad habit you need to break

check your words per minute. if its high then you dont have to do anything

>bad habit
How come?

It just comes naturally bro, i became quite used to keyboard after hanging out in chat rooms,

Because your standard of "semi-fast" is at best half the speed of an average touch typist

Most people here are probably 100wpm+

using more fingers means you'll improve speed and efficiency

you'll notice the difference once you start using them all: if you try to use only the index fingers again, you'll feel like tossing your PC out the window.

rapidtyping.com/

download, do 10-20mins per day

2 weeks tops, you're a touch typist.

I see. As of now I don't feel the need to go blazing fast typing in uni, but it'll help somewhat when taking down notes of a professor who goes way too fast
Any online resources I can use to help, aside from the post above mine?

I samefagged that post, you won't need anything else pretty much

Keep in mind not to do hours and hours of training per day, that'll be frustrating and will yield 0 results. Literally 30min limit with small breaks in between each exercise.

The most you'll need in addition to the software above is maybe some typing exercise websites, use google or something, there's a ton of 'em.

> typing fast and efficiently
> programming
> not enough brainpower to do both simultaneously

whew, lad

>whew
>h
>lul brianpwore

If you had to go out of your way to "learn" how to type with out staring at the keyboard you do not belong on this board, or site. I got my first computer way later than any of my friends because my dad was a drug addict at 12 years old. I could touch type by 14? I think

>my dad was a drug addict at 12 years old
Damn that's rough

Do people actually look at their keyboards to type?

This has to be bait

actually its not

go back to facebook, chicken pecker

i learned to touch type by playing games, gotta type fast in those for the bants

>he didnt learn to type just from being on a fucking computer
>he learned to type from paying a man to teach him what he could learn on his own and with a few webpages

Which games do you play?

you do realize all necessary resources for learning how to touch type are free

yes, thats my entire point
he payed some guy to teach him what he can learn for free

so? did he spend your money? oh wait you don't have any you fucking neet

he's helping someone pay for their family

Stupid nigger

Depends.

Does touch typing mean I can type without looking at the keyboard? If so, yeah. I have for many, many years.

Does touch typing mean using the home row and every finger? Then hell no. I tried so many times I just can't do it properly. It takes me a year to learn how to type fast while using capital letters.

both are wrong
>learned to type from paying a man
>a man
>implying tutor is always a man
do you get it now?

does it count as touch typing if I only use 2/3 fingers on each hand but can type accurately without looking at the keyboard at all?

100% worth learning. It makes using a computer a much nicer experience.

My keyboard is blank. I already knew how to touch-type when I got it, but getting a blank keyboard definitely improved my skills a little, in that it finally forced me to really learn the numbers. I'm still a little less accurate with the numbers and the shift-numbers (!, @, %, etc.) but I get along OK now.

Make sure you start out with a mechanical keyboard from the beginning so you don't get in the habit of bottoming your your keys like I did. It's a hard habit to shake.

You are a fucking faggot if you don't "touch type".

Who can't do this, I thought people would do this naturally, I haven't attempted "learning" it, it's natural for me

I've been shitposting since I got my first computer, across multiple boards and forums and online video games. Touch typing came naturally. I didn't have to "learn" it. Learn by doing.

typingtest.com/
post your wpm niggers

But most likely you learned it wrong.

Think that should be really taught is schools these days. It's really hard to get it right after using "self taught" system for too long.

For example I'm typing with three fingers on the right hand and one finger on the left + dedicated finger for space and shift. What a waste.

Wrong according to whomst?

REEEEEE

I type a lot fast when I think what to type in my head, as I can prepare my hands on where to go better. I learned typing by practice.

Typin' like a pro :v

See how the F and J keys (and numpad 5) have tactile features? That's so you can find the home row without looking. By default, you leave your hands there, with your left and right index fingers on those two keys respectively. After that, it's just practice until you know where every other key is without looking.

If you're on Sup Forums and can't touch type at at least 120 WPM then you should get off the board.

My hands hurt.

I grew up in a country ass town in the middle of nowhere Texas and we had a computer lab with like 30 old pieces of shit. Typing classes were still mandatory here starting in like 3rd grade. It blows my mind that people today can't touch type.

>Touch typing is like focussing on the writing while writing a novel. A complete fucking stupid idea.

no it's like riding a bicycle, if you get good at riding it you no longer have to think "balance balance balance" all the time, you think about where you are going and the best way to avoid obsticals and your body just moves the bike for you without thinking about how to actually keep balance, same thing with typing, I can just start thinking words and my fingers start typing them out without conscious thought

>No, they just mash their fat grubby fingers on a phone screen and pick from the predictive typing menu.
this is what amazes me about touchscreen cancer the most. its bad enough that its inherently not touch typing but also that its just spamming in a general direction and letting the botnet AI handle the rest. its the equivalent to if we just lazily slurred all our words and put the work onto an AI to translate it into something sensible.

when the fuck are we going to get real smartphones?

>bottoming your keys
?

Pushing your keys all the way down until they actually hit the bottom. It's bad for your fingers.

120wpm, jesus christ
I can do 70-75 on one of those online tests

like a little baby

Holy shit, do you forget to breathe?

>not being able to type a complete sentence without looking at the keyboard once

It comes with use. We can spot the nonprogrammer memers.

I don't even think about it, man. I know what I want to write and my hands just do it on their own. 100% muscle memory.

Get on my level.

>35 wpm
Are you fucking serious
how can you even tolerate using a computer that slowly

What site is that?

typingtest.com/

like I said, when not typing some random text I have to read and type at the same time I type a lot faster.
I'll do an approximate test in writer now.
typingtest.com/

How long do you spend thinking about what you're going to type? You really can't type as fast or almost as fast as you read? When I took the test I broke it up into chunks and typed out the chunk while I was reading the next chunk. Should come naturally.

Don't worry OP touch typing is not required for programming, just like object oriented programming is not required

I don't consciously think about what I'm going to type (in terms of which keys to press and which fingers to move). It's subconscious/reflex/muscle memory/whatever at this point. I even correct mistakes without really thinking about it.

That sounds about right.

Approximate test when typing a text I knew not 100%, and with some thinking time I got 64 words in a minute.

I like to have thought out what I'm going to type on a sentence, or when programming on a chunk basis.

Even though I don't really think about how my fingers are moving I guess it helps sub-consiously.

I have next two weeks planned for searching a typing test that I can take to make me stop using my self taught typing technique, as it's horrible.

not_me.jpeg

That's the best I can do, anons.

My ex-gf said she could type like a hundred words per minute but I think she was full of fucking shit.

>There are people who spend time remembering the position of the pedals instead of actually driving lmao fucking dimwits amirite

Women tend to overestimate things that don't really matter if it sounds good.

>typelet
feels bad man

Wait.

Are you saying you have to consciously think about which pedal to press in order to accelerate or brake?

I hope you literally started driving today.

250 WPM is easily possible for a professional secretary.

Let's do the math user:
No touch typing:
>average speed is 30 wpm
>to type down 300 words it will need you on the very lest 10 minutes

Touch typing:
>After two months you will reach 60 wpm
>after six months you will reach 70 wpm
> typing down 300 words will take less than 5 minutes
>you are literally saving 50% of your time

Stop being a pleb and learn to touch type, it is not that much of an effort to do so anyway.

Got a perfect score.

>Most people here are probably 100wpm+
teach me your ways senpai, I have been touch typing (ten finger typing i learned the proper layout) and I can't break the 100 WPM barrier, I am currently at around 85-90 WPM.

I just don't understand how it requires "learning" unless seriously bad and deep rooted habits need to be ripped out of the muscle memory. If you are shitposting anywhere frequently enough it should just come to you.

Get a keyboard you're comfortable with.

Traditional keyboards are uncomfy for me, I now use a split one.