Can Sup Forums live without systemd in 2017...

Can Sup Forums live without systemd in 2017? I always hated on it for disrespecting the UNIX philosophy and for getting to be a dependency of everything on GNU+Linux, and so on, but I might just have to accept it, 'cause it's fast as heck.

>mfw the systemd virus boots faster than the windows 10 cancer.
>#!++: 2520M, VM, 1-core, 512RAM, HDD : 8 sec
>win10: 2540M, real machine, 4-core, 8GB RAM, SSD : 10 sec

>muh UNIX philosophy

Define UNIX philosophy without referring to Uriel/cat-v or the meme that one program does one thing.

if you really gave a fuck you would use openBSD

linux has been infested with bullshit that disrespect your eunuchs way for ages, and systemd is far from the first

in fact, X is probably among the first. are you using an X server right now? better stop.

also, does your terminal do color? that's a nono.

glorious post-unix 9front:
1 sec

are you serious?

anyways
>tried OpenBSD on my Thinkpad T420
> first thing I notice: the ugly serif font
>go on internet how to cure this cancer fuel
> find reddit post with similar issue
> "Definitely possible, but you have to patch and recompile your kernel."
> boot dban.
> cry.

>Can Sup Forums live without systemd in 2017?
I already do.

>Mfw Linus Torvalds uses Fedora/Systemd/GNU/Linux

What is actually the benefit of systemd over what it replaced? Honestly asking, not baiting. Does it just have faster performance at the cost of the "philosophy"?

Marginally faster boot time, arguably easier configuration, no real benefit.

Bultin ntp is comfy and daemons seems like got some protection too. Udev has some annoying bug tho.

>faster boot time, easier configuration
>"no benefit"

So you save maybe a few seconds a day. And just how often do you need to configure new services? Almost never.

>What is actually the benefit of systemd over what it replaced? Honestly asking, not baiting.
It is a unified framework for upstart services, logging, system configuration ++

It's arguably both easier to manage and configure as a user and provides well-defined dependency bindings as a developer/maintainer.

>Does it just have faster performance at the cost of the "philosophy"?
Fuck of with the "philosophy" red herring. See No one can argue how it allegedly contradicts "UNIX philosophy" without choosing a completely arbitrary cutoff point.

the people arguing that it's "not unix" are forgetting that linux is also not unix, so their argument is shit
systemd is faster, easier to use, and has sane configuration/unit files
what it replaced was a set of hackey shellscripts
not to mention systemd standardises many basic aspects of a modern system, making it possible for upstream developers to provide systemd units that work across many distributions, it saves time and effort for developers and maintainers as well as end users

You have to be quite fucking stupid to notice a difference yet spout some bullshit about 70s religious garbage on why you "don't want it".

This is of course a result of this 2012 meme we can't seem to kick. Nothing more, just repeating shit that other people said and not really knowing what it is, not knowing what systemd really is, not knowing what it replaced, not knowing what part of the "unix philosophy" it violates.

Here's an idea, what makes your smelly unix philosophy so holy? It was made during a time when the only computer was a kind affordable by a university or institution and was more than $100,000. I consider that pretty unqualified to be dictating how technology 50 years later is made. Analog computers were made before unix so why not go with that? since being first is all you care about.

News flash: no matter how "successful" your shitty posts or forum hippie psuedo movements are, you don't GET to make these decisions. You mainly don't GET to make these decisions because YOU AREN'T A DISTRO MAINTAINER. Reason why you aren't one is because YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE FUCK YOU ARE DOING because you would have us not use a faster technology because of your psuedo political irc circlejerk garbage.

Please fuck off.

Obvious NSA-shill. Get the fuck out of Sup Forums with your backdoor(d), retards.

Good post

seriously this, if you actually give a shit about the unix "philosophy", use *BSD

>true to the UNIX philosophy
>BSD

Double kek.

Plan 9 you fucking MIT niggers.

sure, fine. My point is that Linux isn't Unix.

BSD a shit

if u real care about unic philosophy use mit unic

Anyone who uses Unix or anything based on Unix is an idiot because the "Uni" part is unnecessary, unless a computing service is explicitly multiplexed it should be assumed to be uniplexed

XOS ftw (computing service operating system)

Systemd is how the NSA is trying to destroy linux. They want to make it impossible to detect backdoors and have everyone in.their control. Moving to BSD and plan 9 might have to happen.

XOS A SHIT

(ps: does/will this actually exist? it seems a little redundant / late in the game for a modern OS to come out that's based directly on multics instead of going through unix or even linux)

I always hear this and maybe it's true, but I'm just a pleb and I'm honestly asking: isn't systemd open source? If they included backdoors into it, aren't they just hoping and praying someone doesn't come along and read the code and discover it?

It's an pseudo operating system written by incompetent Red Hat shills, plagued with bugs and bad design. You think anyone will ever read their shit code?

Probably not but still, the idea that the gov would commit actual resources to something which can only survive if they pray to god that no one will ever read the available source doesn't seem like a strong argument.

A backdoor is just a bug, if you don't prove it was put in on purpose.

This. It'll be heartbleed all over again. Open source mean shit nowadays

Your little sister enjoys having me ejaculate all over her face.

is there a alternative for systemd-boot if your on efi system?

Fuck BSD.

Because its heritage? Yeah sure.

Don't cut yourself on that edge

Backdoors aren't all about intentionally inserted malicious code, you know. It could very well be a bug that they discover but don't tell anyone else. And there's probably enough reason for them to do at least some shit that could lead to discovering vulnerabilities.

grub

Linux always booted faster than Windows.
Systemd got shit to do with.

I'm on the install gentoo meme and OpenRC is doing fine for me.

lol some testing methodology

>hurr dis one is a wittle VM

>durrr dis one big bad fisical pee cee

>my rezolts are valid!

I wouldn't even care but you had to post that grinning, foot eating, paedophile you kids seem to love.