What is wrong with my system?

What is wrong with my system?

>Fallout 4 with a little Tree/Foliage Mod + ENB + DoF (but happens unmodded as well)
>FHD, Ultra Settings, Maxed Out
>In fun areas only 30-47 FPS but GPU never maxed out
>Recurring drops in framerate in waves

I have a
>i7 2600, GA-Z68AP-D3, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, MSI RX480 8GB
>no SSD

Other urls found in this thread:

gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z68AP-D3-rev-10#support-manual
techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermalright/Macho_RevB/8.html
techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H7_Universal/7.html
techpowerup.com/reviews/Scythe/Kabuto_3/8.html
valid.x86.fr/e5h92j
nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1822/?
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hitting CPU limits probably. Overlock it and RAM.

Fallout 4 isn't well-optimized, I get framerate drops in Boston even if my CPU and GPU aren't maxed out. OC'd 6600K, 980 and 2666MHz DDR4.

Oh forgot to mention that FO4 scales off of RAM, your CPU and RAM speed is probably your limiting factor.

This is a technology board, get out manchild.

> 1333 MHz DDR3
Probably this.

Yeah I was thinking that.. The new DOOM runs crispy clear at over 120 FPS at my machine but Fallout is like shit. I`ll have a lookout for better RAM once I buy a better MB, thanks.

CPU bottleneck probably, AMD DX11 drivers are especially bad about that. You also have shit-tier RAM and FO4 is one of the very few games with an engine of such ass quality that it bottlenecks heavily on CPU and RAM bandwidth.

the CPU only supports DDR3 1333

>2600
>not 2600k
>not OCed
>stock 2600
>wonders why
>why.jpeg
>jpeg
>1333mhz
>stock
>????

fallout 4 is a piece of shit when it comes to optimization. Shouldn't expect more out of Shithesda.

officially yes but if you got a decent motherboard you could probably get at least DDR3 1866 working.

he has a decent motherboard, ALL z68 motherboards will go to at least 1866 with no issues.

>16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
that's the problem

Fallout 4 is really fucking retarded with ram speed

fallout is heavily reliant on fast ram. overclock it you will see massive gains on lowest fps drop.
try 1.62v 12-12-12-39 timing and 1886mhz try upping the timings or lower speed to 1600

Not OP, but good to know.
Is this a good OC? Just upped voltage to 1.55 and went through 1800 and 2000 without a hitch.

2200 seems prime95 stable as well.

2400 most definitely did NOT work. But I'm prime95/Intel Extreme Tuning Utility stable at 2200MHz@ 1.55V mixing 3 different brands of CAS 11 DDR3 1600.

Your CPU is a bottleneck.

>if your HPET is enabled, disable it
>if it is disabled, enable it
>remove GFE
>disable XBOX DVR

Report back with results.

>Why only 2600???
A friend just gave me the PC. I switched to Mac years ago but coming back into PC world I'm hooked again and found out that I could get the most out of this system by just buying a RX480 which also was on discount when I was looking for it. Payed 200€ only.

Now I'm hooked on this absurd fever for high-spec PCs again and will buy piece after piece when they are on discount somewhere to get a great PC again.

>2600
>wonders why low fps
l2read

Seems you should have stayed with a mac

What is GFE?

you need a new cpu, I'd try ryzen r5

Geforce Experience

Its funny, the experience gets worse with it installed

>Seems you should have stayed with a mac
Why? What's the matter? I'm happy to have gotten a little gift which is able to run current games at FHD with ease (maybe except for F4) and I'm looking forward to improve.

I'm on AMD so no GFE :^)
Anything on AMD side I'd have to know which is similar to Geforce Experience?

Just buy a 2600k/3570k/3770k on ebay or something and OC it to 4.5Ghz~

should be pretty cheap and would be a huge upgrade, dont forget a decent cooler.

No idea, im not on AMD.

is it possible to run an Nvidia card without GFE?

If you have to ask that question, then no

Also, buy a mac.

>What is wrong with my system?

It's being used to play shit games.

There's no reason for him to buy a k, With turbo overclocking and BCLK he should be able to hit 4.1-4.2.

How will that work? What do I have to do in order to overclock my 2600 without having it being K.

Also I was on the lookout for a good but also quiet cooler which can also be used for a future setup when I upgrade to a more powerful Mobo and Processor in 1-2 years but which also allows to decently OC. What could you (and , ) recommend?
I put my eyes on a
>be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1
or a
>Thermalright HR-02 Macho

I disabled XBOX DVR and got a few FPS more but nothing substantial.

Google i7 2600 overclocking. You get plenty of links for non-k, and since you have an decent aftermarket z68 you should have all the settings for it. Looking it seems like the BCLK probably isn't worth it (5% risking instability), but just OCing using your turbo multipliers should be a go.

You can OC your memory like I did, too. Bump to 1.55V (perfectly safe) and then keep raising it until you hit instability or it doesn't boot. (you may have to unplug if you get caught in a boot loop. I just did failing on 2400)

Grab the manual to familiarize yourself with the settings (the 26MB one)
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z68AP-D3-rev-10#support-manual

It's mainly RAM and CPU.
I upgraded from 8gb of 1333MHz RAM (4670k 4.4GHz) to 3200MHz 16gb 7700k and I saw a 20-30fps increase. Fallout 4 is memory speed hungry.

So you OC in your EFI/BIOS?
I have G.Skill 8 GB and some Kingston 8GB ValueRAM. Wouldn't overclock these, don't you think?

Grab yourself a R5 1600X when that comes out.

>Also I was on the lookout for a good but also quiet cooler
The 212 EVO is a good inexpensive one. I'm assuming you don't want to spend $80.

This is the BIOS setting you probably want for your OC:
Turbo Ratio (1-Core)/(2-Core)/(3-Core)/(4-Core) (Note)
Allows you to set the CPU Turbo ratios for different number of active cores. Auto sets the CPU Turbo ratios
according to the CPU specifications. (Default: Auto)

Set it to 4 cores and a multiplier of 42. You might want to bump voltage by 0.1V

Also, download CPU-Z (if you don't have it) and post your SPD tab showing the JDEC timings. You might be able to just enable XMP in BIOS to OC your RAM.

Why would you upgrade from 4670k to 7700k? Where's the benefit? People tell me that my 2600 is enough for gaming purposes and I shouldn't update

>The 212 EVO is a good inexpensive one.
>I'm assuming you don't want to spend 80$.
I'd have no problem spending 80$ if I can use it for the next 3-4 years. Also time is not an issue here so I can be on the lookout for a good deal.
What's with the ones I've been referring to?

>Set it to 4 cores and a multiplier of 42. You might want to bump voltage by 0.1V
Why exactly these settings? What's behind the numbers? Can you please explain.

This is my CPU.

>Wouldn't overclock these, don't you think?
It doesn't hurt to try. It's quite likely that just setting it to 1600 will work right out of the box at stock volts.

Also this is the SPD tab for the G.Skills. XMP was already enabled on my Mobo

techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermalright/Macho_RevB/8.html

The Dark Rock and Macho don't seem to be fantastic for the dollar. The 212EVO is cheap and will get the job done. That CRYORIG H7 looks interesting, though. Better performance for only a couple dollars more. Quiet, too.

techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H7_Universal/7.html

Maybe we need a new meme cooler. (The 212 EVO currently holds that spot because it can be found on sale for $20 and it gets the job done)

Yup, no XMP profile.
Try bumping the speed to 1600 and see if it works.

*Oh, but looking around, it does look like that Dark Rock 3 scores with the Noctuna D15, so if you have the money, it'll work. My 212 EVO will encode all day with only a light whisper, but if you really hate noise and have the money to throw at it, you can certainly get quieter.

Yeah, I'd really try to avoid noise as much as possible. If I do some gaming I have my headphones on so I don't mind the noise then but else I really don't want to have some noise. That was always good about my Macs. They were really quiet.

techpowerup.com/reviews/Scythe/Kabuto_3/8.html

most up to date chart there, just look at performance and price/performance, then check the review for the cooler that looks interesting to see if its too loud, or big, or pricey.

Well I have a offer for a be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 for 35€... But it looks like it won't be compatible to ryzen?

nothing, you're just playing an unoptimised game with a shitty unoptimised enb. the real question is what's wrong with your eyes? cos that looks like dogshit.

Dark Rock 3 is a really fiddly install.

You have to basically support the motherboard either side and fasten it on from underneath. I've done it but it was deeply silly.

It's fun though.

Naaaah it's not THAT bad looking...

Oc'd locked ivy here. Set c states to enabled, turbo and eist on. Then just put 50 in the multiplier and it will set the max. Mine was 41 but the CPU limits 4c to 39. 103.7 bclk with ram at 1800/x9 for 4050mhz and 1866 ram. Had to increase vccsa to .95 and disable all spread spectrum for bclk to be stable, all other auto. Stable with all power settings on auto but was generous with the vcore. I Set manual offset and 25% llc for highest benches and lowest power use. 1.18v was needed on this chip. Keep in mind heat or voltages will not be as good as k SKU at the same speeds that's why they were binned as locked.

valid.x86.fr/e5h92j

Why would you overclock bclk? It will kill the GPU and the Mobo

Gamebyro modified engine betehsda uses is completely shit.
They keep going with this poor engine since ever.its amazing how Bethesda don't spend some money from to replace this shitty engine.

Only on fo4 they decided to add dx11 and still looks like the same old garbage.

Yeah. You know that's the reason why I'm reluctant to buy new shit. Why do I even need a new Mobo and DDR4 RAM and a new i7 or Ryzen or whatever if other games in my interest run very playable and my applications don't require much more power either. I'm a programmer, not a visual designer who needs a fucking CAD

Agree with user here. Seems silly throwing off all your subsystem timings for 3.7%.

>fallout 4

That is the problem. Now go back to

>waaah, my Linux laptop is useless so your desktop should be too

that program is retarded.
the script it runs gives drastically different results regardless of ram sticks/speed/timings

Install nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1822/?

This fixed my problems. The game uses way too many unnecessary CPU draw calls for shadows.

Well I have to say the bump to 2200MHz seems to have helped raise my minimums. Much smoother now.

/thread

its ram, fallout 4 is notorious for scaling with ram better then anything else.

I run fallout 4 on ddr2 677 (downclocked 800) and the game can get anywhere from 7fps at worst, to 50 at best.

The game is fucking retarded in the way it scales with ram more than it does gpu, cpu, overclocking or storage.