Curl https://0x0.st/vT8.txt

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
bropages.org/
commandlinefu.com/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: #
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: #

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword
0x0.st/vT8.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What linux distro has the longest battery life?

Will probably buy a Dell XPS 13 or Acer Swift 3 or an ASUS this summer as I need a new laptop for my job.

Mainly going to be using it for programming.

Need the battery to last at least 8 hrs. MacOS already does 10 hrs and coding on it is super nice but the new Macbook pros are shit and the 2015 ones are all sold out.

I'm using fedora on my current Dell Inspiron but battery life is shit, same with Lubuntu,and Xubuntu

Help me /fglt/. .

All distributions have the same battery life. You run the same software on all, assuming you use the same versions.
There is no "best distribution" for anything and certainly not for things like battery life.

How do I access syslinux.cfg in Ubontoo 16.04? I need to modify it for a persistent USB installation.

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Honestly, if its going to be for working in industry use Windows or OSX. Whatever the company is using in house. Save yourself a lot of headaches.

>You run the same software on all, assuming you use the same versions.
That assumption is flawed.

Windows is shit to work with, I code python and PHP mainly and even getting shit to install is a nightmare. Thought WSL would be good but it turned out to be just a meme. Is there some vagrant or similar product which makes windows bearable to use for programming?

You edit it with a text editor

I asked how do I access it, not how do I edit it. READING COMPREHENSION, SHERLOCK.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You fucking acces that file by editing that mother fucker with a text editor

How fucking stupid are you?

user if i need to tell you again you will be kicked out
this is a friendly thread

The only thing which can influence your battery life majorly is the kernel. Assuming you run the same kernel, every distribution will have the same battery life.
The differences between battery drainage between Firefox 45 and 52 are negligible. The same applies for 99% of software.

what is the best torrent client

The one I'm using.

transmission

>%command%
What the fuck is this winshit?

See . Transmission just werks for me, and I've yet to have many gripes with it (besides the fact that it uses gigabytes et al. instead of gibibytes). The weirdness with the Mac binaries is the only alarming issue, but it's technically nothing to worry about on Linux.

GNU/Linux*

Even Debian and Ubuntu don't use the same kernel

>what is string format

They use the same Linux, it's just modified in some ways.

Which means it's not the same anymore.

so when you go taking a shit you're not the same person anymore because you're modified (blobs removed)?

yeah man those blobs really destroy my battery life aha

rTorrent

Did you even follow the discussion dumb frogposter.

I have two question.

What client are you using?
What client are you using?

transmission-gtk
is that what you're looking for user

>torrenting
found the thief

"A BitTorrent client is any program that implements the BitTorrent protocol."

What was that question ?

Try under clocking

Just get any lightweight distro and make sure not running too much shit in the background. Also install powertop to see what is leeching power, it also allows to turn on/off stuff. Install man adblocker like ublock to filter cpu intensive ad crap. Don't use full brightness, turn it down a little. Enable screen blanking and other powersave stuff.

holy fuck terminal ricing is the most tedious and unrewarding shit in existence

>make changes to config
>reload urxvt
>it doesn't give a shit
>have to kill my entire session for it to actually fucking reload the config
>looks like dogshit
>have to do it all over again

nice blogpost, faggot

What's the problem? Maybe the /fglt/ support team can help. :3

>friendly gnu/linux thread

redpill me on flatpak

Make sure the partition it's on is mounted. Try lsblk, and if you have an unmounted

>have to kill my entire session for it to actually fucking reload the config

source configfile
Problem solved

Freetards will defend this

Must be cranky from sleeping in a chair

Its his normal sperg attitude when going to poor community colleges for money

Poor colleges have cheap, uncomfortable chairs.

is hurd usable yet? Will it ever be a suitable alternative to Linux?

no and no

post your biggest mistakes

>installing debian with the aim of ricing it out

lol are you retarded or something?

>lol
roflmao XD

Was he being heckled?

do you consider 'espanol, por favor' half way through a speech heckling ?

Are you guys proud to use GNU/Linux? I am and I like it when the people around me ask me why my laptop "looks so different"

I would if it wasn't still such shit.
SystemD and whatnot

It's not about being proud. I use it because the workflow is very smooth with nice and easy to use shell. Very useful if you are a software developer

i tell them 'i use Arch' then try to shift my erection with making it noticeable.

I'd freak out too. Before the speech he asked the organizers if he should speak in english or spanish. They said english.
Half through the speech they asked him to switch to spanish since people couldn't understand him, which means for him: repeating the whole shit he already said so people get it in the end, but time for a speech is limited so he couldn't just start over.

You dont need to have a sperg temper tantrum.He handled the situation poorly,as he does all things that deviant from a layout plan he submits,aken to austism.

When my boss tells me to start over and redo a project a different way i dont stand up and slap him and spit in his face. I get pissed off but then start the project over again.

What if you don't have enough time to start over? Also he didn't slap or spit on anyone.

>slams desk 3 times
>spills liquid all over desk and papers

>time
Then by boss extends the deadline for his project or it gets done off deadline,which the boss is soley responsible for and i have no issues

>having a job

if i use configure with --disable--sanitizers, does it increase my risk of getting a virus?

I know I can use diff -s to know if two files are identical. Now I want to execute some command when they are not, what would be the easiest way to do this?

There are no viruses, just programs.

%command% && echo identical || echo non-identical

Someone knows some good config for rTorrent? I talk about peers, seeders and leechers, throttle etc

I have 100Mb/10Mb as connection.

So diff -s file1 file2 || rm file2 && variable=0 would work?

Yes

I went balls deep and installed linux over windows. Now I've forgotten my password, how do I change it if I can't remember the old one without a clean install???

Basically, but don't rely on && and ||, for a solid solution use if/else, since && and || depend on the exit status of the last command, so when, in your example, rm fails to remove fil2, varibale=0 will not run. Use && and || only for simple stuff.

Thanks! What if I want to use more than one command in each case?

diff -s file1 file2 && { echo pussy; echo identical; } || { echo ass; echo non-identical; }

help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword
Read "the other way"

diff -s file1 file2 && (something && something else) || (something && something else)

But as said, use ifs for more complicated stuff:

if diff file1 file2; then
echo identical
echo ass
else
echo non-identical
echo pussy
fi

While () works, it spawns subshells, use {} to group.

Huh, brb changing my scripts.

>try to install dnsmasq, dnscrypt, samba
>guides are all distro specific
>guides all require strange depreciated steps
>the guide just works for them first time
>would be done in 45min tops on windows
I don't get it, it shouldn't be this hard

btw, subshells are pretty comfy for things like this: (cd faggotdir; ./faggot), will not affect the current shell (so you don't need to cd back).

what is the best linux distro?

Cool, thanks.

Thank you guys.

arch linux

Gentoo. No joke.

Whatever suits your needs.

The one I'm using.

GNU/Linux*

BunsenAnus

>not BumsenAnus
you had one job...

That's not what it's called though, idiot

Is there a command similar to apt's no-install-recommends for xbps (Void)? Some packages force me to install shit that I would easily avoid under Arch or Debian.

I remember my scripts where I have stuff for checking whether I was in a certain directory, if not then saving pwd into a temp variable, cding to that directory, running a command, and then if the temp variable wasn't empty cding back to the saved location.

Ah, good times.

DragonflyBSD

Theres pushd and popd that let you push directories onto a stack and cd to them.

That's true. Or you just spawn a subshell.

I had literally just discovered shell scripting so my attitude was literally "automate ALL the things!", except I had very patchy knowledge gleamed from stackoverflow and a little bit of doc-reading (nowhere near enough to gain a comprehensive overview of useful stuff).

>curl 0x0.st/vT8.txt
handshake don't works. wget don't works, why?
Should I compile wget with GNUTLS?

Will I be able to use my wifi card on my laptop which uses propietary firmware on opensuse? Is it like fedora which only allows free software on the repositories?

chroot

Oh yeah Stally i know you want to creampie her do it

use arch wiki

Xubuntu