I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children...

>I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children. The arguments that it causes harm seem to be based on cases which aren't voluntary, which are then stretched by parents who are horrified by the idea that their little baby is maturing.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanic_ritual_abuse
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day-care_sex-abuse_hysteria
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

One more reason to admire this man.

He's right though, the victim's real damage is often highly exaggerated and the punishment is no where near being proportionate to the actual crime.

Fun fact: Statutory rape is a relatively new construct, before it was just "sexual activity with a minor". The term itself implies that sex with someone underaged is always "rape" (as in forced) no matter what.

Friendly.reminder that age of consent used to be 8.before feminists ruined everything.

He's entirely right

in fact all the debate is based on the fact that bellow a certain age you're mentally vulnerable to someone older, so we consider that even though they may consent to it, they may have been manipulated.
The law's main law is to protect the children desu.

>Children are adults
ok

>16 to drive a vehicle
>18 to have sex
>implying sex is a larger responsibility than the million or so joules of energy a Civic carries at highway speed

>in fact all the debate is based on the fact that bellow a certain age you're mentally vulnerable to someone older
I refuse to believe that anyone just suddenly stops being "mentally vulnerable" at some arbitrary cut-off point.

>so we consider that even though they may consent to it, they may have been manipulated.
Coercion is not the same as being forced though. Parents coerce children into doing stuff against their will all the time.

>The law's main law is to protect the children desu.
Do-gooders may believe that this is the case, but modern pedophilia laws are actually the result of law makers trying to please the disproportionately powerful group of Christian voters after the great satanist-pedophilia scare in the 90s, where people were irrationally scared and even hysterical about alleged satanist cults.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanic_ritual_abuse

Also, there was the day-care sex abuse thing in the 90s which was so bad that fathers were genuinely afraid to take their daughters outside because they might be accused of kidnapping some random girl.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day-care_sex-abuse_hysteria

Pedophilia laws became much stricter after this.

Kids also think they can operate industrial equipment but there's a reason we don't let them do that either.

>joules
>not Newtons
Someone failed in physics.

See and I find it ironic that 16 year olds in the US are allowed to drive (and own) cars and have paid jobs (like adults), but they're not allowed to
>drink alcohol
>have sex (with someone 2 years older)
>have a bank account and a debit card without a guardian

>all adults are mature
ok

>I refuse to believe that anyone just suddenly stops being "mentally vulnerable" at some arbitrary cut-off point.
It's not on some date you become wiser and stuff, but anyone takes better decision at 20 than at 12,
And the coercion made by parents is different, pedophilia in itself might not be bad, but when there is a relation, in bad contexts for the children, in a bad spirit kinda, putting the child in situations he might not need to be in at this age.

>Someone failed in physics.
And that must be you, because energie is expressed in joules, not newtons ( newtons are for forces)

>stretched by parents

I see what he did there..

>the disproportionately powerful group of Christian voters

Except that's not fucking true at all.
It's just the state pushing to reduce teen pregnancy costs and eventual welfare and all that.
If it were due to Christians, the most religious areas of the country would have the higher age of consent laws, and it's for the most part the exact opposite.

>And the coercion made by parents is different,
Mentally abusing your child is allowed, plenty of people get fucked up because their parents were dicks, for example extremely religious parents who's main parenting tactic is to scare the kids into doing what they think is appropriate behaviour.

>pedophilia in itself might not be bad, but when there is a relation, in bad contexts for the children, in a bad spirit kinda, putting the child in situations he might not need to be in at this age.
The point of Stallman is that he is sceptical of the claim about the harm to the child. Rape is of course bad, and having sexual intercourse with a toddler will of course do some serious physical damage. I just think modern pedophilia laws are the result of an irrational fear and needs revisiting.

It's not like having consensual sex with a 13 year old was significantly less severe in 1970 than it is today, but the penalty today is anywhere from several years to several decades in prison whereas back then it was essentially a slap on the wrist and a couple of months in prison or community service.

>It's just the state pushing to reduce teen pregnancy costs and eventual welfare and all that.
Trying to prevent teen pregnancy through law and threats of severe jailtime is a result of Christian voters.

>If it were due to Christians, the most religious areas of the country would have the higher age of consent laws, and it's for the most part the exact opposite.
Oh wow, Christians are hypocrites and bigots, who could have known?!

Mormons obviously think that marrying at age 13 is okay, but non-marital sex is bad and damaging.

pedophile is someone who targets prepubescence age

ok fair point; I guess there are some reasons to believe that way. But today's society is so anxious about everything, I guess that it doesn't help on the question either.

>I refuse to believe that anyone just suddenly stops being "mentally vulnerable" at some arbitrary cut-off point.
You're surely right, but we can't make a law like "well like you shouldn't have sex with mentally vulnerable people lol". There has to be a cut-off point.

> the result of law makers trying to please the disproportionately powerful group of Christian voters
But the laws are pretty similar here in Europe - here Christianity isn't that big an argument for politics.

I do think that the laws are stricter in the US, though - our age of consent, for example, is 16 and even that isn't set in stone (= the law explicitly states that this doesn't apply if the people having sex are of similar physical and mental development level - so a 19-year-old could fuck their 15-year-old girl- or boyfriend lawfully, but a 30-year-old fucking a 14-year-old might not get a pass if someone told the police)

is
the
magic
number

You're all pedophiles, I'm going to literally kill you all you disgusting faggots.