Is 2017 the year of the GNU/Linux desktop?

Is 2017 the year of the GNU/Linux desktop?

No, but it's the year of the Linux desktop.

It will never be the year of the linux desktop, for several reasons.

In order for this to actually happen, you need to grab the attention of the normalfags. Now this presents a real issue with the way the linux community (and software suite) exists currently.
Linux is all about choice. There are dozens of different distros, dozens of different music players, dozens of different browsers, etc. Normalfags, do not like choice. They want just one option and they want that option to work really well.

Secondly, computers almost always ship with either windows or macOS. Normalfags are completely unable to install a different operating system, so it is ludicrous to expect them to switch to linux.

Thirdly, the linux community itself has many flaws. The users are very elitists, and most of them are also anime loving pedophiles which is a huge turnoff for normalfags.

If not this year, then soon. Mainly because the normies will all be using phones and tablets and shit. Even a laptop will be seen as "a lot of computer" to them, so the only people left buying desktops will be the enthusiasts or tech people, who are more likely to run Linux.

Maybe

>meme girl

>Secondly, computers almost always ship with either windows or macOS

Lots of normies using cheap laptops with Chrome OS preinstalled m8

>linux desktop
>gnu
>any year

>The users are very elitists, and most of them are also anime loving pedophiles which is a huge turnoff for normalfags

The closest thing to Linux normies will accept is ChromeOS.

gab is worst girl

>In order for this to actually happen, you need to grab the attention of the normalfags. Now this presents a real issue with the way the linux community (and software suite) exists currently.
Indeed it's kinda annoying to talk with the fucking pedants in askubuntu or any other linux support forums for the matter.

Satania-san would use Windows.

Tell me when it's the year of finally taking it behind the shed like old yeller.

DELET THIS

Seeing as Microsoft has been very recently making more and more GNU utils available in its abominous shell, I'd say 2017 is the year of the GNU desktop.

So essentially, we have Linux which is on GNU/Linux and Android, and we have GNU which is on GNU/Linux and Windows 10. Parting ways if you will.

The whole "linux is not popular because windows comes preinstalled and users don't care to try new things" is wrong.
How many computers have Google Chrome, Firefox and VLC installed? None. But these end up being installed on most pcs anyway.

People don't install Linux distros because they don't see an advantage in it.

A lot of normies can handle "search for thing, download first .exe you find, run it to install program"

running an OS installer is a much different matter.

GNU/Linux isn't actually ``free" for most ordinary users, since most computers are sold with Windows or MacOS (meaning, the price of that operating system is included in the price you pay, even if you end up immediately formatting the hard drive and installing GNU/Linux), and furthermore, GNU/Linux must be installed, which requires a non-trivial amount of effort. As it is, using GNU/Linux doesn't really save money when buying a new computer, since you already have to pay for the included proprietary operating system, and you still have to do the work of installing it. Switching to GNU/Linux results in no monetary savings, AND requires extra work on the part of the end user, so it's not competitive, even if people considered it just as capable as MacOS or Windows.

Installing a browser is considered easy. Installing an OS is not. Not to mention, switching browsers doesn't generally break compatibility (especially if you're switching AWAY from shitty IE), but switching to GNU/Linux does break the compatibility of many Windows programs, so it's a much more drastic undertaking.

Gab is a mirror. Gab shows what a NEET you are. Thats why you don't like Gab.

Surely NEETs should like Gab because they identify with her?

>choices
If only one of those choices was relevant software

Real NEETs do like her, since they are also identifying as NEETs.
But not those, who do not accept that they're NEETs although they are, don't like her.

I switched from windows to linux a month ago. I've never looked back.

If my hardware wasn't recent I'd switch fulltime. I tried to many times including recently and love it. Unfortunately driver issues hinder me using Linux for long.