/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/JiXZ2f0t

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_configure_the_TrackPoint
amazon.com/Caddy-Lenovo-ThinkPad-genuine-Newmodeus/dp/B00A2AWBKU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

E330 i5 3210M 8gb 320gb hdd at 177€, deal?

>E series

Nope.

They're that bad huh?

T470, T460s or X1 Carbon?

I want it to last the next 5 years, i'm not interested in gaming, but need a good screen

14.1"
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9400 @ 2x2.53 GHz
RAM 4.00 GB
1 GB Ethernet
300 GB harddisk

Is this worth it for $100?

Shit build quality

X1C (assuming it's the 2017 model) or T470.

It's a T400

tfw you just impulse bought a cheap msata ssd for your x230

what is the think[ad equivalent of macbook pro?
something with "everything on it".
w550? [do w560 exist?]
P70?

money no problem for me, just want the best thinkpad has to offer.

w series got replaced with the p series

ok, thanks.
so p70 is the best thinkpad atm?

p71

>p71
thanks, masonic dubs.
checking it out right now.

If it's in good condition.

is there anything I should be aware of before purchasing a caddy for an extra SSD for my T420?

not really

they both don't come with WQHD here in europe

if its in good condition go for it. Chuck a p series processor in it like a p9400. They cost fuck all and its only 100mhz slower but it has 10w lower TDP

I give up. Any new additions will just have to be pre loved ThinkPads. Still holding out against the chiclet plague after more than 5 years. But for now, Fort ThinkPad still stands

If that's $USD, you might still be able to scour and punch your luck at a T410

what thinkpad is the one with the latios on it, x61t?

bitches can't handle the sexy

Just picked up a $90 t520 with the i7 and nvidia graphics. could not believe my eyes. Passed all the stress tests with average temps.

should I get a nu-thinkpad if I have the money, or just get a dell xps or something else instead? I want good linux support and a kaby lake igpu, and a 1080p screen. (as well as good build quality/design) currently loving my x301 but everything about it is slow.

Indeed it is. The battery isn't what it used to be though it still works well as a non windows slab. Fuck there's a lot of memories

What's the best laptop for a CS university student girl?

>girl
see Get a pink Macbook slut

I dream of the day when the xx20 series can be run entirely blobless.

NSA free ThinkPad? Am I restricted to Core 2's?

Librebooted X200.

The Sandy/Ivy era Thinkpads are slowly having their blobs neutralized (see me_cleaner on github, removes _most_ of the Intel Management Engine botnet) but after they will ever be completely free is doubtful. The Intel botnet is just too ingrained the whole system by this era of Thinkpads. Like cancer.

how do I make middle click+nipple on my x301 scroll on linux?

No chance of a free xx20 or xx30 then?

>girl
Since you yourself decided to make your gender an issue, I'll tell you if you post tits with a timestamp.

Possibly but unlikely. That's just my speculation.

Problem with xx20 is that a small portion of the Intel ME blob needs to be left intact to initialize the CPU, or something like that. Laptop will shut off after 30 minutes if the ME blob is entirely absent from the BIOS chip.

This but it is now possible to de activate ME completely while the laptop is running. If this could be automated a free computer with Core i CPU would be possible.

>student girl?
could've stopped at 'student'.

well, TITS or GTFO, then!

Should be like the others where thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_configure_the_TrackPoint
Or in the case of Kubuntu 16, it just werks

Are thinkpads the only modern laptops that still have cylindrical keycaps?

Would the T430 be powerful enough for running plex server 1080p transcoding?

Of course. My T400 does that with ease.

>girl
Since this is so important to you, I would say get a macbook

>girl
and change you major to gender studies.

Anything core i series (T410/X201) onwards is guaranteed to work.

>is there anything I should be aware of before purchasing a caddy

a good one doesn't cost $2

yeah, I know. Would an 8 euro be a decent one?
I guess the only thing that changes is the quality of the caddy(in terms of the materials used to build one)

I have an old ThinkPad keyboard from an X220 left. Is there some kind of USB interface for it? I'd like to connect it to another computer if possible.

So build quality went to shit from the x230 onwards?
Using borrowed x201 right now, and it's pretty nice, but quite a bit too slow to work with

>build quality went to shit from the x230 onwards
>tfw you wish you were a decade older to enjoy the IBM era thinkpads.
i think i'll still fucking buy a p71 as son as it comes out.

>I guess the only thing that changes is the quality of the caddy(in terms of the materials used to build one)

amazon.com/Caddy-Lenovo-ThinkPad-genuine-Newmodeus/dp/B00A2AWBKU

Are there any lightweight thinkpads with decent perfomance?

I've bought a couple different caddies that were both the absolute cheapest on eBay when I bought them, and in terms of materials and build quality I was very satisfied. The biggest difference will be in electronics if anything - I had an LED on one of them burn out when I first tried it. It runs fine and I don't care about losing it since if anything the lights are a nuisance, though I guess it doesn't say much about the quality of it.

Really I would just go cheap though, if it's defective you just get a refund. Most sellers will be flogging off the same shit, just undercutting each other and occasionally including a bezel or screwdriver with it.

cutting board

Not buying them locally in China. Paid around $8 for one that is almost top quality.

got a x220 and ordered a msata ssd. when i opened the machine up, i saw that there is already a wwan inside and now i'm not sure what to do. on the one hand is it really nice to put my extra sim into the laptop, on the other hand the ssd would be great, too.

what do, Sup Forums?

what are some nice subtle stickers I can use to cover the ugly lenovo logo on my x220

besides size is there any real difference between a t430 and a t430s? would i lose any performance or would there be a significant impact on battery life?

Electrical tape.

s variants have poor battery life and thermals iirc.

got my T500 in 2008, changed the display, keyboard ( W button was broken), increased RAM, cleaned the cooler, added an SSD and it's still running smooth.

Can it run Cubes OS securely(what do I have to do for Vt-d)? Can I get the IME blob out?
would casual gaming be possible in a paravirtualised Win7 or should I rather dualboot?

fucking epic

>really nice to put my extra sim into the laptop
and do what? you got some sort of unlimited plan? it's also 3G

pic related

6 cell in T430s is 48 Wh whereas the normal 6 cell is 60 Wh. Can't get larger than that on the T430s unless you go the slice battery route in which case you get about 75 Wh vs the 90 Wh of a 9 cell but it will wear quickly since the system prefers to drain it to 0% before switching

Materials are also different I guess. The T430s is Mg alloy base, CFRP lid while the T430 is CFRP all over but in practice it should take being rammed into a wall all the same

err, fuck. Ultrabay battery, not slice battery
Slice battery works on both and that's another 90 Wh but it introduces an annoying incline to the machine

when this day comes, the xx20 series will be as old as the x60 series is now. good thing is that the 2nd gen i5s/i7s doesn't get obsolete so fast, because intel doesn't really develop their CPUs.

till then, all hail T60,X60,T400,X200!

It was a Liteon one for me but it works nicely. No point getting the best because the port is SATA II

I'm getting an X41 Tablet
Could I shove a Broadcom Crystal HD Accelerator inside of it so that it's able to playback anything higher than 360p?

>because intel doesn't really develop their CPUs.
Intel is jew shit but there are $240 cheap netbooks out there with Goldmont cpu's that can handle 4K 10bit playback.

budget is 400$ wondering wat is the best thinkpad i can get i really like
i like all the extra indicators it has besides that i have seen the X220 is p good but im wondering if im missing on any other better ones

im trying to just have it so i can connect to my rdp and work on it and dev software + lightweight take notes in school and what not

get a good X220 with a new 9cell and 500gb SSD

what do you guys do with your express card slot?

i love my x220, but the battery life is total shit compared to a modern laptop.

Get a new battery then. There's no reason why you should get less than 8 hours on that laptop.

anyone who turned off turbo boost, do you find it really improves battery life and heat?

usb3.0

heat yes, battery life not so much since you select a more efficient energy profile for mobile work anyways

ofcourse it helps with heat issues

>the battery life is total shit compared to a modern laptop.
not really

For T61, would there be noticeable difference between Intel and nVidia GPU for general desktop applications use?
nVidia has its own ram so it might free up some memory bandwidth, or would it be unnoticeable? And would it produce more or less heat under same near-zero load?

I just want to keep shitposting on that glorious 1600x1200 IPS LED, but modern websites are apparently not tested for performance on anything below i5.

>Location:
Good ol' US of A
>Price range:
Would like to stay under $150 but can go up to $200.
>Size range:
I'm not entirely against the compact models, but I think the regular T series will be best for me.
>Performance requirements:
I want to be able to download chinese cartoons and use KCP to watch them. Being able to play some of the old GTA and Touhou games would be cool too (getting this from the guide). Needs to be WiFi capable.
>Other requirements:
Windows XP, and IBM made.

>Spend yesterday evening upgrading a t400 I just got
>all wonderfully set up, going to be my productivity machine
>finally got rid of my chrome book
>go to work
>come home
>charger cable is fucked

Fucks sake, it's like the universe is against me being productive at home.

I need cheering up...

On top of all that, forced to phone post.

What's the best cpu I can/should stick in a r400 7440?

Attempting the T601 FrankenPad today lads

Why did you change the OP?

T60

check out the last thread, it's some butthurt T430 fag who thinks everything pre xx30 is shit

How can I stop my T420 from emitting a high pitched whine?

Thanks, I been seeing a lot of T60 and T61 models that seemed to match my needs but the guide said they're "on their way out".

Last IBM-made ThinkPad was the T43

I get 8 hours on mine

Should I go for t450/460 if I want a 14" for business? Most of them have standard Intel Hd550 so I'm wondering if there's something better on the market. I wanna spend around $600, used ofc

The hinge broke on my T430. How difficult of a fix is this?

I have never seen this device before in my life. No guarantee it would work whatsoever.

Why do you need a GPU or are you a gayming kiddie?

Wait a minute, I recognize that trip from quite a few years ago. Wow.

Just to make it more universal

You can't.

hot glue on an inductor near the cpu

I'm more concerned with cheap Ssd's crapping out on me, than with speed. Has there been any long write tests on cheap Ssd's?