/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to produce a superior quartz watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=bm5JyGM3haQ

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LWhzEfdjeHg
ebay.com/itm/Tudor-Oyster-Submariner-7923-/292060170753?hash=item4400248a01:g:-5IAAOSwCU1YzaSe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Roeger Smith isn't exactly a "company" which was the term used, and nobody ITT will ever own any of his watches so I didn't bother counting him. Though he's obviously the only person here with any integrity.

>$1100 for new seiko divers

I'm still pissed

Why? What's wrong with it?

MSRP,which you would have to be a retard to pay. Although since you won't shut the fuck up about it maybe you are. They will be about 5-600 street price.

This was answered a two threads ago m8. Even through azfinetime the preorder price is 800-1000. Guaranteed you'll be able to get it for less than that. At worst you'd need to wait a few months.

rate? should i buy this? itll be my first automatic

They look so damn ugly as well and nowhere near the original thing.

it will be around around $800 at best

even turtles have msrp of $475 yet have a street price of $390. expecting to get them for lower than half price is way too optimistic. fucking seiko being greedy

What are the best and iconic watches I can get with $1000?

Disgusting move from Seiko. Avoid, and later buy them used for 250 dollars

Not really anything worth considering in the $500-1000 range. Just buy Vostoks, Seikos and Orients for $50-250 a pop

What do you guys reckon? My only watch so far but I'm getting more interested in them.

Of course I forgot

You can regularly get turtles for like 250 these days

It literally is a company

Sure. Still not at all relevant for anyone who wants to buy British in a Sup Forums watch thread is it.

It's a bit of a dog user. Opened up dials look bad even on watches with movements that kind of justify them like a Jaeger LeCoultre

Best cheap watch case for poorfag?

One of those $20-$30 chink boxes you can get on ebay or wherever.

thought so, thanks

Loving my Poljot 3133

fucking neat, mate
They are getting more expensive all the time, hope you got it for a good price

Are the cheapest vintage Rolexes like Oysterdate 6694 worth it? I struggle to find anything decent in the $1000-2000 range

Got it for 200€ shipped and in excellent condition, serviced last September. Got a display caseback from Poljot24.de for just 12€.
My favourite watch so far, I don't see any flaws honestly.

Only if its freshly serviced. If not be prepared to fork out a lot more

>Charlie-Patek-Moonphase.jpg
That's a werewolf timer for Charlie

That's a great fucking deal. I think they are sold out now and 2201's cost over 300€ today.

Is ~$30 for a an old, used Seiko 5 a good price, assuming that it's working?

It would be my first mechanical watch. I understand that these wind themselves by the movement of the wrist. If I shake it for a moment and it works, can I assume that it will operate in order?

Can these be serviced and if yes, how expensive is it compared to quartz watches?

If there is a guide or a "required reading" for these kind of questions, I'm sorry and please point me to one. Thanks.

>What are the best and iconic watches I can get with $1000?

still looking for suggestions

>Are the cheapest vintage Rolexes like Oysterdate 6694 worth it? I struggle to find anything decent in the $1000-2000 range

Yes, same with vintage Air Kings. They're a Rolex my man, they're better than literally 99% of every other fuckhead's watch that you encounter here or in real life.

You could also save up around $3000 - $4000 and get into Explorer I's, Explorer II's, Oysterquartz, Date-Justs, etc. which will probably be a lot more collectible long-term if you're into that.

I C O N I C
C
O
N
I
C

You're going to be looking a long time m8. You're asking for watches in peak shitter prices.

Thanks, I think it is. You can still get a great deal of used vintage Poljot 3133s on eBay but prices are rising, that's right.
You can also get new ones for over 400€ from sites like Poljot24.de or moscowtime.com. Also from Juri Levenberg.
The one I bought was a especial edition of 700 units, that has been sold out for years. Now you don't find many newer 3133s with a 38mm size except for the new Buran.

Seiko apologists please go.

They look really nice, clean, and simple. The fuck are you talking about?

>$1,100 without ceramic bezel

Uh, no. I don't think this episode where Seiko jacks their prices up in order to compete with Swiss brands is going to work when most of their stuff look like mall quartz specials.

Stowa flieger

Has anybody asked if Archie would want to come and shitpost with us? He would fit in /wt/ perfectly, even with a tripcode.

>Is ~$30 for a an old, used Seiko 5 a good price, assuming that it's working?
Yes. Assuming it's working flawlessly.
>If I shake it for a moment and it works, can I assume that it will operate in order?
It means it works but not how well it works. You need to measure how long the "charge" lasts (moving it non stop for a min or two and then letting it die out on its own without moving) and to see how many s does it gain/lose per day.
>Can these be serviced and if yes, how expensive is it compared to quartz watches?
Usually not worth servicing depending on whats broken. Seiko 5's can run for over a decade without servicing though (sometimes more)

>Stowa
>noname e-brand

fuck no. they're nomos without the watch bloggers wanking them

Can someone identify the watch in the pic? I'd love to replace my F-91W with this

It's a Shitter Watches limited edition "Nasty" model D0G-5H17

Just shit my streets up senpai

BTW I just took this picture and I reset the time 2 or 3 days ago. It's that bad. But I still love the case, crystal, and dial on this little turd

>Stowa
>noname e-brand

Clueless horological pleb detected. I'm not gonna defend Stowa because the shit they usually sell noewadays is "made in Germany" half chink shit. But saying that a brand with such a history as Stowa is a no name brand just shows your ignorance. Kys.

Thank you very much.

Nah the dial is terrible. Even hindi dial from prev thread was better:

Currently wearing my HMT Sherpa on a 007 NATO strap

Just make sure it isn't one of those hideous Indian frankens

post a pic, please sir. else you are gay faggot racist sir.

Morning /wt/

Monsters have gone up in price recently. I paid $200 for mine over a year ago. Now they're almost double the price. What's happened?

Millenials with daddy's money and bad taste

Why do you guys buy these absolutely crappyvcurrypubes infested watches? Just go Slav if you are poor and like the vintage look ffs.

seiko milking dumb customer following

they're just as predatory as the swiss now baselworld made that much clear

>$4000 for a $200 62mas reissue

fucking hell

You realize the 62mas re-issue has an 8L35 movement, yes? And that the 8L35 is am undecorated Grand Seiko movement?? That makes it comparable to an in-house Tudor Pelagos, approximately, plus it's limited edition.

It's the $1,100 MSRP for the 6r15 powered 62mas inspired production models that is sheer lunacy.

Did he steal your gf?

Or do you think you'll pull a girl like that with such a shitter?

Buy a Michael Kors and kys

>tfw Trump is wearing his Vacheron Constantin regularly it seems

youtube.com/watch?v=LWhzEfdjeHg

MFW 95% of mens watches are 42mm and up

IT WAS NOT ALWAYS LIKE THIS

>It's a Rolex ruins the Sea Dweller and Explorer II episode

Are you shopping at the mall

What's your problem? Mine keeps time perfectly and I've had it for 7 years.

I bought this one a few months ago, I like it but I barely use it because I'm still waiting 18mm perlon for it.

>Hamilton re-releases the intramatic
>WOW it looks great, I've been looking for an affordable reverse-panda-chrono
>they JUST had to resize it from 38mm to 42mm
>it's also automatic so it's 14.6 mm thick

I walked past a shop with some absolutely horrific huge watches today. Half of them were branded with what I originally thought were just "Designer" T-Shirt brands but apparently they have watches aswell.

-t. Wristlet

I refuse to wear any watch over 38mm

How big is your wrist? Do you wear your dad's suits everywhere like that fast food youtuber?

Tell me: why were men secure in wearing 36mm big watches 40 years ago but now it's considered a female watch size?

So, you do wear clothes from 40 years ago?

It has more to do with fashion trends than insecurity. Like it or not, watches are jewelry

More like people just have bad taste and like to wear big out of proportion watches to show off.

flanderization also applies to watches

I.e. the recent nigger rap fashion trend. Idk, most of the watches I've been looking at are 40-42mm, which is hardly out of proportion on my average 7" wrist, but I also don't shop for watches at Macy's like user apparently does

It's very similar to the process phones went through. For a while making them as small as possible was the most impressive feat technologically so the smallest shit was the most expensive and desirable.

Now anyone can make a tiny watch so expensive brands focus on being big and flashy to show off.

>watch name literally has you saying "bell-end"

to most of us its just an ugly watch, britbong

Redpill me on tritium, how does it really compare to conventional illumination? It's hard to get a good comparison from shitty pictures.

It's bright enough to be seen if it's too dark to read your watch normally. What more do you need?

tritium is always on, it has a finite charge that will degrade over a few years.

conventional lume may last a bit longer but it is "glow in the dark" so it needs to be charged by another light source and may run out in hours.

Well yes I understand the basics, the way I asked the question was dumb.

What I meant was conventional fades away but is it still practically legible after several hours of darkness? Because pictures make it look totally black, and then you have people saying it only looks black because of the camera so I have no idea.

I'm basically nocturnal so readability in darkness is high priority but I'd rather not spend more on tritium if it isn't necessary

I need a watch with a white dial, gold details and brown leather strap for the summer. Something cheap. Confident.

If you need more than say 6 hours of legibility conventional lume is not likely to cut it, especially in the budget segment.

How about you work on some real confidence instead of putting it into a watch

>white dial
>gold details
>brown leather strap
>cheap
>confident
This one just for you bro.

Yeah all roads seem to lead to that watch. It bores me though.

How do the resident richfags enjoy their expensive watches?
In my poorfag mind having a 2000+€ watch would be so stressful.
>have to worry about scratching/losing it
>have to worry about service costs
>have to worry about parts becoming unavailable (if vintage)
>have to worry about justifying the price to myself
With a cheap shitter you can just throw it on and not worry about all those things.
Is it just a question of financial perspective?

Yes

I'm a poorfag with a fairly nice car and I think it's probably similar to that
>scratches happen
>services suck cock but I like the car and want it to run
>yeah the parts hardly exist anymore so I'll just hope to the lord nothing goes wrong because I'd be fucked
>if I wanted to sell it I should have done so when it was actually worth something, but I don't because I like it

I'm a poorfag and I justified a 20-year old Rolex Explorer II as if nothing else it will hold it's value so if I need to get out of it, I won't lose anything. Plus I might even make money if collectors go crazy for it.

Meanwhile shitters are just money wasted period because you can't sell the fucking things.

I give zero shits about scratches and I'm not worried of losing it as it doesn't leave my wrist except when I'm lounging around at home.

Makes sense to me to be honest. The only downside is service costs but hey that's once every 5-10 years and these things aren't exactly brutal to have serviced.

A nice watch (like Rolex) is an investment, unlike shitters. It holds value quite well.

Talking about richfags,one of you should buy this:
ebay.com/itm/Tudor-Oyster-Submariner-7923-/292060170753?hash=item4400248a01:g:-5IAAOSwCU1YzaSe

Ok I thought as much.
>if I wanted to sell it I should have done so when it was actually worth something, but I don't because I like it
I think the aspect of viewing it as something you keep for life would easy some of the worries for me.
Rolex is definitely special in that regard since you can flip them so easily, they hold their value and the basic movements are so rugged.

>A nice watch (like Rolex) is an investment
For the love of god, people, jewelry is not an investment

I'm just saying that new and near-new things are in a different tier of value than used and worn things.
If you got lucky and it was a good investment you can get some/most of your money back, sure, why not have that as an option
Money spent is money spent, but it's not like your watch or your car will take half you money + alimony if you decide you don't want it for life after all
But I believe in at least trying to find a long term love in your watch

Elaborate.
It is an collectible item which holds value well, you can sell it easily on the market and can even become more valuable with time. Why it's not an investment?

>Took watch into closet and closed the door.
The hands and time points DO NOT GLOW IN DARK.
>UNPOLISHED!!!!!!!!!
> As I approached the watch the Geiger Counter it began to rise
>The watch does NOT function.
>There is a ding in the crystal @ 5:27 with scratches front and back.
it's the Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuderrr you've all been waiting for, folks

>which holds value well
Even the best hold like 60% of the original cost max
>can even become more valuable with time
So rarely you might as well play the lottery

You're saying a watch is a bad investment. So we can both agree that (nice) watches are investments.

What's /wt/'s favorite Casio ana-digi?
Looking to buy one for vacation
Only hard req is world-time

The fact that you can resell it later for more than a penny does not make it an "investment", is his point I think.

If you aren't even beating inflation it's not much of an investment.

My watch has a 7cm diameter