Libreoffice

In the year of the Lord 2017 is this software a decent alternative to Microsoft Office or is it GIMP tier?

GIMP tier. Dont use it. Use WPS Office.

LibreOffice is the worst piece of "office suite" i have ever seen. It opens .pdf files in the "Draw" application which crashes and hangs if the PDF files is larger than 1MB

how does ms office work with pdf files?

WPS is the only competent office solution for Linux.

There's also google docs but that's through your browser.

it doesn't.

fucking why? Office is paid software and it doesn't support the most crucial file format in business context?

Does Adobe have a fucking patent on it or what???????????????????????????

I haven't used MS Office that much, so I can't do a proper comparison. But I've done pretty much everything in LO (OO before that) for the last 10 years, including all my uni work and it was fine.

Actually Adobe created the .pdf files
Now .pdf is under public license or some shit like this

window10 can open pdf on ms edge by default, no need to install office. Every major distro can open pdfs on their native default viewer as well. no need to open retarded GNU/Libre Offshit.

>.pdf format
Sorry

it can save documents to pdf and it can open pdf files to edit if they are not protected. and windows 10 in general can open pdf files in Edge.

Did you have anything in particular you wanted to do with pdf files?

Employed people do not use it. Try saving a document in libreshit then open it with winshit. I want prices in their exact location in a fucking invoice. and son thats not something libreoffice can do.

I don't know about Calc but when it comes to Writer I find that .odt opens just fine in Microsoft Word. It's when you save something as .docx in Writer that it gets messed up upon opening in Microsoft Word, which is weird.

If you want good and working exchange of documents between windows and linux, use WPS Office.
If you don't care about that and are happy that MS Office documents are opening at all, use Libre/OpenOffice.

I use LibreOffice at work because I just need to view files for myself and don't bother sending people my files. If it was important to send someone documents I'd either use WPS Office or install Windows in a VM to use MS Office. But all in all, LibreOffice does a very ok job at working with MS Office files.

>invoice
isn't that the sort of stuff that pdf was made for?
does somebody actually send invoices as .docx or crap like that?

It does. Calm your dick.

You would be amazed.

Does libreoffice have a scripting engine like VBA?

GIMP tier
perfectly functional for home use

>Employed people do not use it. Try saving a document in libreshit then open it with winshit.

Microsoft deliberately does not follow their own specification for OOXML (the format they created to compete with ODF) to break compatibility with software that doesn't have a Currysoft cuckstamp.
Their entire business model relies on enforcing monopolies.

When European Union asked Microsoft to standardize OOXML so that it could compete with ODF for the "approved format", they provided more than 5000 pages of fucking documentation. Compared to technical documentation of ODF which was barely over 300 pages.

OOXML is defective by design.

you don't open pdf with office you piece of fuck.

It's fucking shit. There will never be a decent alternative to MSO.

LaTeX.

This

Because it's an alternative to proprietary code, so the devs need to be careful in the way they are doing things so the Legal Microsoft Armada have no reason to order a cease and desist.
Fact is if someone created a nice GUI interface for latex more people would adopt it.

this is how its new ribbon interface looks on kde plasma 5

its not even gimp tier

>chinese botnet

for quick documents, no

>I'm too stupid to have simple templates for quick documents
>Not wanting beautiful quick documents
>Expecting to be taken seriously

you are unemployed

uhhh is it possible to "include" text from a certain file? like (i dont know latex so forgive me for the pseudo-syntax or whatever it is called)

then doc.txt contains the rest of the text to be slapped in that section. if it does, it might be superior to whatever shitty word processor out there

No, I'm just not some worthless office-rat.

It really depends on which parts you need and for what, I think.

I can do all my work with LO just fine. But I'm not like, one of those people who really rely on Excel. I need to do plenty of word processing (for which it works very fine) and occasionally some charts or a presentation.

The price to pay for freedom is, in this case, a fairly light one.

> Implying GIMP is a bad app
Libre Office works just fine for standard formats.
Now if you try to embed a fucking 3D animation inside a spreadsheet like MS is proposing, then you won't be able to open it from LO nor Google Docs or any other compatible app.

if you are a blue-collar you are worthless.
if you are a something else who thinks latex is solution to non-academic purposes, you are retarded

Google Docs and Office Online killed it even before it started being relevant.

actually, employed people always keep models of each document because the offices dont change the format (so for them its like filling forms) they already use, latex would be perfect for that use case.
you are the neet who never had a job here talking about shit you dont know about.

>Employed people do not use it
We at work use it so as not to buy licenses from M$.
The regional government is also using it for the same reason. When you have thousands of computers you can save a lot of money by not buying M$ Office.

yes.
input paste the entire file
include clears the page, then paste the entire file

the syntax for everything latex, \ starts a command, [] is for options, {} is for arguments.
so to use input:
\input{path/to/file}

Where the path is the relative path to your master document (the one with begin document)

>tfw they dropped MSoffice at the all the public offices in my shithole and the old crusty beurocratic public workers threatened to go on strike cause they didn't want to learn how to use a new office suit

Quick documents would be a text file.
Anything prettier than that, latex is fine.

tfw in my country nobody cared as public servant cant be fired and everybody knows they do very little work.

They can't get fired pretty much anywhere, the one's in my shithole are all lazy niggers too they just didn't want take a crash course on using LibreOffice cause it'd take away 2-3 hours of their dedicated Facebook browsing time on that day.

don't worry, it's fine. don't listen to these niggers who're litterally naming shit like google docs as an alternative

The GIMP tier but good enough for a free office suite.
I don't bother pirating m$ office anymore and I've managed to work with ms office format on it without problems recently.
It's true that's buggy in some tasks but if you learn those limitations and stick to OD format from the beginning it would do the job.
Plus the Draw tool can open PDF in order to edit, merge, etc. Also you can unlock protected PDF files by exporting them into another file.
Should we expect a perfectly functioning office suite for this free as in free freedom?
I think that's far from happening and this is the price we pay for it and it's better than pirating or buying if you can't afford it anyway

The exception proves the rule

sure mate

naisu, i will try it
surely yes, the kind of people who would edit the structure of the document are designers, not office workers (who are pretty conservative in the templates they adopt), productivity > fancy different borders for each document

Yeah, you're a just a tryhard code monkey who plays pretend science man on the side.

>productivity > fancy different borders for each document
Making a document that looks good IS productivity, you fucking retard.

Are you projecting?

It's kinda usable. I wrote my bachelors thesis in it. Had to do some weird hacks to get everything that I needed but it did the job.

>office online
enjoy your slow piece of shit botnet

Anyone who claims Writer is good hasn't tried to place an image in a document.

>ads in your office software
>chink botnet
choose one and only one

>its not even gimp tier
right on, it's nigger poor tier

>reading comprehension
>arguing with a literal nobody that never had an office job
keep going, NEET, hopefully you will finally notice how rotten your brain has become due social isolation

>thats not something libreoffice can do
Because M$ Office is proprietary. What don't people understand about this? Any problems with compatibility are Microsoft's fault.