Can you make games using only C or do I really need to learn C++?

Can you make games using only C or do I really need to learn C++?

Yes

>Gets me every time

You can make nothing with C only by yourself.

you can make them using C, however i would not suggest doing it without some kind of utility library, the base C standard libraries are incredibly sparse compared to the C++ STL

It is easier with C++, but you can use any language to make any application.
If you know C, learning C++ is not that difficult, just like learning any language isn't difficult once you know how to make programs.

SDL.

underrated

>C++ STL
That's really no better either.

Just use Boost.

If you really want to, you can make even in ASM. But C++ is best language for games.

this.
Most rendering libraries used actually C libraries that you can use with C++ programs.
I am a fan of using data based architecture but games I think is the only valid excuse to use OOP So C++ would be nice by providing a OOP framework to work with.

Can you make games only using Java ?

You can, but enjoy your pajeet-tier performance

Trust me the only reasonable thing is to use unity. However if you really want to program it from scratch I would recommend reading Game Engine Architecture. And after you read that and realize building your own game engine isn't feasible in a reasonable amount of time. Go and learn how to use Unity. Unreal Engine may look enticing, but Unity is so much more flexible that it can't compete

sure, you can make games in assembly too

Rollercoaster Tycoon II was programmed in Assembly. You can write any arbitrary program in any Turing complete language.

this game was done by one guy in assembly

++ SDL2 rules

this game as well...

when did the tech industry become shit with lazy people just importing modules

what is Minecraft ?

Can you make a game in C? Yes. Assuming you're doing everything in 2D, you can pretty much get all of your graphics, audio, and user input handling done with the SDL2 library, and everything else is just a matter of building all of the rules for how the game works.

That said, most game developers don't do this. Higher level languages like C++ a lot easier, as do pre-built game engines. One user in here mentioned Unity, which is very flexible, and used in a lot of modern games, especially due to the fact that it runs on a LOT of platforms. It's proprietary, but you don't have to pay a thing for it if you make less than $100k a year, and if you do end up making more, it's a flat monthly fee instead of a royalty system, so if your game sells well, Unity won't be bleeding you dry. If you would nonetheless prefer an open source system, try Godot.

man settlers 1 and 2 were so great
then they got all shitty from the 3rd game forward