So what's the opinion here on old receivers vs. new...

So what's the opinion here on old receivers vs. new? The price/availability of the old are very subject- it's easy to find a old receivers that go for a lot on ebay for next to nothing on classifieds/goodwill. Then there's the new receivers that retail absurdly and the used market people are all over the place.

Personally im not one to need a million things hooked up at once or a lot of the other features that the new offer, and i don't think I'm alone there. Like realistically how many people are going to own a full 5.1 and how much of the audio people listen to on a daily basis just stereo anyways?

I feel like for average audio consumption a 70's receiver with a set of paradigm/jbl speakers can do better than a lot of the powered monitors and desktop speakers i see a lot of people here have for less.

They can be good but like all old tech suffer from degrading components. Really the only reason to consider them is the complete lack of modern quality receivers.

They've gotten kind of fashionable in the last few years so the values on the good ones are outrageous and the cheap ones are not really any better or cheaper than something with a warranty from say Parts Express. Plus they tend to be ginormous and have way too many knobs and terminals on the back. Too much to go wrong. In before "I bought one and it turned out fine", the idea of ripping open a chassis and spraying contact cleaner everywhere and replacing a bunch of leaky old caps is not my idea of time well spent. I could be shitposting on Sup Forums.

>the complete lack of modern quality receivers
Ha ha ha. No.

Look at this dumb kid thinking his made in China shit is good. Oh the dumb and ignorant have flooded this board.

>what is japan

You think a receiver is more complex than your made in china facebook machine?

List an example, bucko.

What does complexity have to do with anything?

so you buy one serviced or get it done by someone yourself. "too many knobs and terminals on the back" you mean the 2 speaker outs, and 3 rca inputs? yeah its a clusterfuck alright. the new ones have twice the ports and shit to go wrong i literally don't know how to take your comment it's so contradictory.

Complexity = more possible ways to fail. If possible failures are not your concern, what is?
>buy one serviced
Lol, no. Why the fuck would anyone do that other than crippling autism?
>"too many knobs and terminals on the back" you mean the 2 speaker outs, and 3 rca inputs?
No I mean pic related

>more possible ways to fail. If possible failures are not your concern, what is?
Quality? Are you 12 or not a native speaker or something?

nothing has changed there

>Quality?
Please define that
>Are you 12 or not a native speaker or something?
I'm 39 and I speak English just fine. You are being intentionally obtuse because you have superstitious beliefs about audio that you can't back up
Yes, we have options now. All I see on the vintage market are abominations like this

>You are being intentionally obtuse
Now I know you're fucking retarded or not a native speaker. Either that or underage.
What I said is perfectly clear and needs no definition. I'm not lowering the base level of competence on the topic for this discussion just because you're an idiot. Sorry this isn't your reddit hugbox and I'm not some spoon feeding retard.

Or, in other words, muh feelings

Thanks for clearing that up

Quality is objectively measured in electronics. Sorry you can't meme your way out, kiddo.

"Muh feelings" is not an objective measurement. What *measurable* characteristic of your crackly dumpster dive special is better than a modern high quality integrated? Certainly not THD or SNR, so it must be "muh feelings".

In before "but I was comparing a 1979 McIntosh amp that cost over $5000 in today's money to a $120 Sony 12-channel AV receiver from walmart"

It depends a bit if you can get something from before cost engineering was a big deal. This why 80s stuff should be largely considered junk.

Older isn't better (its got wear and degradation on it) but sometimes over-engineered is.

The "over engineering" is just a manufacturing relic from the days when they didn't have stuff like SMT boards

Everything was bigger, and therefore everything was heavier, and therefore everything that supported the functional parts had to be 5x stronger because otherwise something inside would crack from routine handling

The old stuff that was truly garbage back in the day ended up in landfills, and the same is true of the garbage sold today. On the other hand future neckbeards will be arguing that their vintage Bryston B135 is proof that they stopped making nice things in 2017

>I can't read
That's been established.

>muh feelings

Maybe try a danker mayamy that you kids love. In example one of the following:
cuck
t.
ourguy

Or you can trying a reaction image. Reddit has many that popular these days. "Pepe" is usually considered a good choice and there's many versions.

Have this cutie pie. (Not my picture, google pulled an ebay listing that looks like shit)

Very comfy and reliable, don't possibly need much else but the radio and aux cord.

Disregard the buttdevestated autismdad above, old recievers are comfy as fuck.

I like how you've completely given up on defending your crackly dumpster dive specials and you've resorted to character assassination

Nothing to defend. My point was made and is sound.

>Very comfy
>old recievers are comfy
Oh look, this completely meaningless fucking word again.

You made your point, yes. Crackly dumpster dived gear is so good it's got some unmeasurable advantage that can't be discussed without resorting to the following: calling the other person a child, asking if the other person doesn't speak English, calling them a memester, and insinuating that they must be a member of the alt-right.

Great argument!

kek.

You really convinced me with those hot opinions.

If you're good at electronics, go for the vintage gear. It's easily serviceable and built very well.

I've completely given up on new chinese made shit. Complexity doesn't matter. I've had everything from dvd players die to fans literally catching fire, but all of my vintage stuff (some of which is over a half-century old) are all going strong.

>Japan

You do know most of Pioneers stuff is produced in Mudlaysia these days

Just saying.

>I've had everything from dvd players die to fans literally catching fire
What in the actual fuck

What brands are you people buying?

So is most Seiko stuff but that doesn't stop the neckbeards around here from jacking off over it

panasonic and lasko

funny enough my 20 year old sony dvd player and my 30 year old lakewood fan are both working fine

Still better than China

Lasko makes audio gear?

I said my fan caught fire, not my audio gear

Do older receivers sound better than modern machines?
Generally, no.
Components age (particularly caps) and wear out. They also usually have more hiss, and less channel separation.
My best Vintage receiver is my Yamaha CR-1040, which was a decent machine back in it's day, won't keep up with my current home theater receiver, a Yamaha HTR 6050, which itself is already several years old.

forgot to add...
But the older ones just look fucking cool. Something about watching needles move around to the music, the solid clunk of the switches and selectors, and that tuning dial that has a 1/2 pound flywheel attached to it.

Is that too much for you to handle hahaha

git gud scrub

I love my vintage audio junk. It's so pretty. With enough patience you'll find an old amp or receiver for pretty cheap. Pic related is a Kenwood ka 3500 I picked up for $30 because the right channel would cut in and out randomly. Just needed a little contact cleaner and it's good to go.
Below you can see my pioneer sx1000tw. Got it for $50 at a swap meet and it's immaculate.

I also own a newer Marantz 7.1 and an almost brand new Yamaha 5.1 receiver. There's not really any audible difference between any of them save for sound floor. The older units likely have leaky transistors and caps and resistors that have drifted well out of spec. It's nothing major with speakers, but can be headache inducing with headphones.

>having to hunt through 10 different input selectors with irrelevant names just to find one of the two things you plugged into the back of the receiver is "comfy"
>mommy look! it even says tape deck! I bet those were neat!
Millennials were a mistake

Home theater receiver too intimidating?
Tri-path this.
It has a power button, volume dial, and a selector for the A or B input.

Some are shit, some are good. Same for modern ones.

I have two Pioneer integrated amps from the 70's and one Marantz from the same era. Whether you like old hardware is just matter of preference.

Technically, an amplifier's job is only to amplify sound. Modern receivers do a very good job of doing this with minimal distortion. Older receivers from the 1970's do have a bit of distortion. But because of the amplifier design, that distortion is typically very smooth and pleasant sounding. Distortion from a modern class D amp is not so pleasant.

No matter how you look at it, vintage hardware is a novelty and a hobby. Unless you spend tons of money, anything you buy is going to require, at a bare minimum, opening the unit up and spending lots of time spraying Deoxit into the knobs. All of my receivers needed capacitors replaced and one of them had a bad relay which caused the audio to cut out.

The novelty is having a beautiful 40+ year old receiver connected to a 40+ year old turntable, admiring the beauty of the hardware, and listening to that sweet distortion. In my opinion that stuff sits in a room separate from your living room Denon or Yamaha setup. For casual movie watching or whatever, you use the living room system.

I bought a tripath amp out of morbid curiosity, as expected it's a piece of shit, I gave it to my coworker

Maybe if you poorfags actually tried buying something nice for once you wouldn't be laboring under the erroneous impression that "they" stopped making good gear in 1967

Funny enough I actually found a 6.1 receiver at a second hand store for like $35-40.

That wasn't very comfy of you user.

Mine sounds fine and hasn't had a problem. Too sad for you.
I also have a Yamaha B1 power amp, if that's any indication of what my budget constraints are.

New stuff is better. The few gems aren't worth the price they demand.

Like a chip amp, class d, etc will all produce far better sound than any vintage amp.

That said the worst part of most audio systems is the speakers. Good speakers are expensive and vintage speakers are fucking shit. Computer modelling did wonders for speakers.

>Mine sounds fine and hasn't had a problem
Probably because your ears are broken or you're one of those intolerable "horn loaded" fags. Which means your ears are broken.
>I also have a Yamaha B1 power amp, if that's any indication of what my budget constraints are.
A dumpster dived amp? So, basically, zero?

I used to buy vintage gear and to tell you the truth if you don't plan to recap/service them they can actually be quite risky to use. I had a old pioneer receiver blow a cap on the output stage and it took out one of my b&w speakers. That being said they are relatively simple and anyone with basic electronics knowledge would be able to service them with schematics being widely available for most of them. I just tend to stick with new equipment now its expensive to buy good gear yeah but I like having the peace of mind.

Dumpster dive amp?
You're a retarded know-nothing know-it-all if that's what you figure.
And I suppose the paradigm titans I have hooked up to the topping are shit too.

Dude paradigm Titans aren't great speakers..... Certainly nothing to brag about.....

You are already wasting your time when you are responding to any "muh feeling" shit. Audio losers, hardware faggots who insist emulators are bad, etc are just using this as an excuse, because they don't know what to say.

Thanks to the hipster movement, people today honestly think finding some thrown away garbage in a dumpster is better than buying something new and modern because it's "unique". It also sounds "unique" (shit). You could replicate this by buying something new, throwing it off a building or two, then leaving it in a dumpster and "finding" it a week later. It would at that point sound "unique".

You cannot argue with someone who is using feeling words like "unique", "warm", "shit", etc because there is not ever a way to PROVE that it makes them feel that way.

"It's better" = wrong
"I pretend it's better" = Absolutely right, keyword being PRETEND.

Thankfully the free market solves this problem as regardless how hard audio shits cry at you here, they're dropping thousands overall on their "setup".

time to go start a business where I buy new audio hardware, temporarily remove the outside housing, beat it to shit and back, then sell it at 1000% and call it some weird modern retro unique piece art example so that when it shows up it actually does destroy all the other hipster shit in their retarded collection

>muh craigslist find
Looks like we've got a connoisseur here

> Buy / find shit retro amp for next to nothing
> Empty components, maybe save transformer, put in $30 class d from china
> Sell for big dollars because it doesn't sound like shit but looks retro

Not a bad idea, but Walmart already sells them.

I had to wipe for like 3 minutes this morning after taking a shit. Something didn't digest right. Oh were we talking about audio gear? Sorry! I thought this was the "random irrelevant personal anecdotes" thread =^)

Speakers need more wood grain, but I bet they sound just as "comfy" as a crackling dumpster find

Expanding on this idea:

Make up some retroshit sounding name. Make it german or european. submit names, just for now it will be scamgear.

-Make up fake wikipedia edgelord articles on how scamgear was the greatest holiest of holy audiofaggot gear to get, but some bullshit about how the factory burned down and everyone died etc.

-Pay people to shill to say they "heard about stories" in audiofaggot forums, provide unique pictures of ripped apart plastic/metal that has scamgear logo on it

-Run around to popular cities where audio shits reside and secretly deposit same metal scrap scamgear logos on it, put price logo on it and deposit in thrift stores where audioshits live, wait for audioshits to find one and flip shit

-Make huge forum post about OMG FOUND SECRET STASH OF SCAMGEAR IN ABANDONED WAREHOUSE

-Get regular audio equipment and do said method of just making it look like shit but modern internals with scraped up scamgear logo

time to retire

>it's easy to find a old receivers that go for a lot on ebay for next to nothing on classifieds/goodwill

No it isn't. It's next to impossible. Two things would need to happen... 1, you have to live in a place where people are donating them and 2, the thrift stores would have to price them super cheap. Most people have neither of those things, let alone both.

And there's also these fucking abortions.
Might actually be better off dumpster diving.

Just requires a white van.
Oy, wanna buy some speakas?

is this a joke post? how is that little pioneer complex? how is servicing a piece of high-quality vintage audio "crippling autism"? you'd rather throw it out and buy something cheap and new that won't last?

Yeah but it doesn't look shitty enough. It doesn't have that 'sat in dad's garage collecting dust for two decades ' look.

It need character.

That's a lot of effort user. People will just see Sears logo on it and be sold. If you want to scam audiophools make some cat 5 braided speaker cables or interconnects. Put a piece of wood on each end for balance/high frequency harmonics.

I have amp on pic, it's shit.

Needs a bit more of the "lost factory-working American dream" and vaguely racist insinuations about Asian countries

Also cheesy ad copy that tries to sound like simplistic cold war ad copy, golly gee and such. It's perceived as "more honest"

And epoxy a few magic gems to it too. Really sell it.

No, I'd rather buy something expensive and new that will last, because I'm not a delusional ignoramus who thinks that the only place to buy audio gear is fucking Walmart

this guy gets it

I know we joking but you literally can do exactly this. Get some cheap ass cat 5 braided it and put something that makes it look nice like wood and sell it for big dollars.

Get some cat 5 and put sleeving on it, get a nice rj45 connector with metal on it. Audiophile network cable. I mean realistically you can probably get $50 for $5 of materials. More if you want to wait for the right buyer.

Cable sleeving and shit makes stuff audiophile. Buy that shit from China

>Buying one serviced is autistic
Holy shit nigger what are you smoking?

Picked up this bad bitch for 15 dingalings at value village, after a polish shes sparkling

It's kinda dumb because unless it's one of the gems that probably costs a few thousand, you're just paying a premium for something that won't sound as good as a okay class d.

If you have nostalgic value for a amp maybe paying to have it serviced makes sense but replacing some pots and caps isn't exactly brain surgery

>ANRS

is that their version of dolby?

You just made $250 user. Congratulations

why is it always the dumbest/saddest people who never stop replying

Digits confirm

Okay actually this is a good idea. Build on an existing audiofaggot brand. Just say it was some lost model that was never sold in stores but is super duper good.

I dunno if you even need to do that. Just make up a brand.

Redisgold audio
Douglas James
Sven Roxie
Adfg
Jkol
Pkm

It's easy to make up names

whats with the angry children in this thread

That is the essence of the white van speaker scam.
Cheap, barely functioning Chinese electronics, built to the absolute lowest price possible. Then branded with a name very similar to an established brand and sold for many times what it's worth.
The guy selling it will usually have some story about how the equipment was from an overage or a mis-order, and they're trying to sell it off "cheap" to recoup losses.
It's usually sold out of the back of a rented van or truck. By the time the customer realizes they've been rooked, the seller is long gone.
Worst part, it's sort of legal to do.
That said, you deserve what you get if you're dumb enough to buy your home stereo out of the back of a van in a parking lot somewhere.

You're stupid to buy audio stuff without listening to it first.

I'm biased but I'd rather have vintage gear I repaired or something I designed from scratch, myself.

A lot of the stuff available now is not all that great. Sure, maybe specs on paper are better for some newer stuff but how long will it last? And if it does break it's a lot more annoying having to deal with surface mount components and custom ICs. Anything I make can be as ridiculously over-engineered as I want and I have choice in what goes into it. I have an amp I built 12 years ago and it's still going no problems.

However repairing / renovating sitting gear can cost money if you use good parts and it can be a ton of work. I redid a 1959 Altec 353A and it cost me about $400 all said and done, well worth it though because it sounds amazing and was made in the USA with quality parts, plus 35WPC is plenty with decent speakers. It'll last another 30 with the only thing I'll need to do is maybe replace the power tubes.

It could go either way. Remember that we are talking about a community which duped itself into believing that the rca PS1 is some sort of lordly device. I assume that's a scam as well.

get both... a vintage 2ch set-up (including speakers from same time frame) for LP's and a modern one with modern speakers for modern digital sources (and avr uses, if you choose).

You should also get a desktop set-up too, for speakers and headphones.

It's compatible to dolby b but not as good as c

Well the PS1 did have a good DAC for the time, it's not worth the sillyness that goes on these days but when it came out it was pretty decent. It's like how the ps2 was a pretty kickass DVD player.

Smd stuff doesn't tend to break that often. The stuff that does break is usually through hole. Smd Ics are also pretty easy to replace (with the exception of bga but audio stuff doesn't use that really)

I mean you're missing out with the class d stuff coming out these days. Take a look at what's out there it's pretty incredible. Smd isn't so scary either, getting pcbs fabbed is dirt cheap, stencils are cheap, and reflow is easy to do. (Most stuff is easy to hand solder though, watch some YouTube videos)

>free market
Just as romantic as the hipsters.

That said, don't spend too much on an amplifier/receiver. Particularly a receiver. It's just a radio and radio circuitry gets noticeably funky first. If you're concerned about audio quality then radio is not for you anyway.

Get vintage solid state stuff cheap and free and enjoy it while it lasts. When it gives up then give it to a tech or try your hand at fixing it. Some of the stuff is nice to look at, good design etc.

The things that really make a difference are speakers and your room. Doesn't have to look nice or be super expensive. Look into eq's and crossovers. Electrolyic crossover capacitors go bad.

Lots of fun to be had and you don't have to spend a whole lot or any at all.

The vintage tube stuff can be dangerous. High voltages at high amperage and a lot of it is two prong (without the wide plug) and not even transformer isolated. They can be worked on but unless you grew up around tubes in t.v.'s and high voltage circuits it's best to avoid. They can sound pretty neat. You never ever see tube power amps in the control booth in recording studios. Always solid state. That tells you something about the accuracy of tube circuits. Tubes make a nice sound but not an accurate sound without a lot of effort and expense.

People might say that they're shit, but they're just fags who buy shitty AV receivers, lepais and memey headphone amps.

Old ones are usually over priced as fuck though, even though most are in working condition. You can still find a few less popular under the radar brands for cheap if you're patient.

Or just buy a $100 class d that sounds better than 99% of vintage shit.

>all these millennials calling eachother millennials

The only problem is that you are selling dogshit. People don't go out and buy "new-retro" crosley-style shit. Especially audiophiles.

This whole thing is appealing to two kinds of people. Retarded 50-somethings at walmart, and the 20-something liberal arts hipster girls on tumblr because "omg so retro eeeeek"

Yeah, overrated and memey :^)

>all this audiophile infighting

I'm soo sorry I have a vintage PIoneer and not the latest and greatest high end tech from fry's

It fits my needs, works perfectly, sounds great, and was only $10

Get triggered ;^)

Not that user, but high end Denons.

AM is no longer necesari but this works great

>not using glorious vacuum tube technology
plebs