Everyone go home, the Skylake Xeons are low clocked nuclear reactors

Everyone go home, the Skylake Xeons are low clocked nuclear reactors.

What a disappointment.

guru3d.com/news-story/intels-skylake-sp-xeon-processors-will-get-metal-based-names.html

Other urls found in this thread:

ark.intel.com/products/95441
ark.intel.com/products/96900/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-8894-v4-60M-Cache-2_40-GHz
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Moore's Law is dead, what a disappointment!
Yeah everyone knows that already, user.

I don't particularly know why you give a crap about the TDP of Xeons you're not going to buy anyway.

Ayyy Intel housefires

Install Gentoo

Oh how the tables have turned

Turbo keks

>"Based on AMD's technology briefings, we know it has more granular control over clock rate. And it's notable that the 95W Ryzen 7 1700X we're reviewing today uses less power under our stress test than Intel's 91W Core i7-7700k. It takes a significant underclock to put the Kaby Lake flagship in the first place."

Why is Delidlake so shit? It burned down my entire city.

I fucking knew it! They cut the LLC to fit the more cores in, the 10 core Broadwell-E has 25MB of cache.

Skylake as a CPU itself will be a headache, what will push it is 3D XPoint support Altera FPGA support.

But it will lose to Naples in practically everything, power, I/O, mem bandwidth, mem capacity, core count and clockspeed.

What the fuck is Intel doing.

The only place where current Xeons have an advantage is single core Turbo, these 2.2GHz SKUs can turbo a single or two cores to 3.9 without issue.
I don't think AMD has a granular Turbo like this with Naples, but we'll see.

In everything else it loses badly, which is an amazing thing to see again.

Cannonlake server cancelled

This is all Intel has until 2019

The King is back.

Megabibline Ebition Subercocked bntel debigned binal thermal bolution

kek, it's Netburst all over again.

Wow, so out of the big three Intel is the housefire now?

What happened to those ADVANCED BEST IN THE WORLD fabs?
Or is the arch just pure shit no amount of fab expertise will help?

No. This is what new architectures are supposed to do.

Instead Intel sat on their ass and did nothing but raise the rent.

I'm just sorry it's not a bigger deficit in power consumption and performance.

The funniest thing of that all is
>Intel designed thermal solution

The architecture is ancient now. They've milked it all theu could. The problem is they won't have a new design until 2021.

Meanwhile Zen picks up steam.

Next year should be great, there's way more fixes to be done on Zen than there is on Skylake, so perf/watt will improve next year considerably.

>205w tdp

Holy shit how are they going to cool this in a 1 or 2u rack?

BIGGER
INDUSTRIAL
FANS

>18C
>3.2GHz
>130W
Are you kidding? That sounds amazing, too good to be true in fact.

4 Delta fans with a a PWM splitter per CPU.

Don't blame us if your server suddenly starts floating

Probably the turbo

>L3 size

What the fuck happened

>tfw the moment intel releases a new i7 I'm returning my 7700k to amazon

they wont even see me coming kek

fuck those 70ºC stress test loads on a fucking 160€ CLC

DELID THIS

That's still pretty damn good, a 6900K boosts up to 3.7 and has a 140W TDP right? This Xeon supposedly boosts up to 3.2 at 130W and on top of that has 10 extra cores (more than double).

Should've gone ryzen - it takes obscene volts to push ryzen 7 that hot even on air (admittedly huge dual towers like D15, silver arrow etc, but its still air).

I can still go, don't get me wrong.

The only loss would be the 2nd hand mobo I bought. Can't return that.

I will still probably wait for the new i7 and see how it does in benchmarks.

ark.intel.com/products/95441
Probably means something stupid like this.

2.75 MB per two cores.

So they don't even have any functioning 32c dies, and top TDP is 205w?
I'm sure AMD is shaking in their boots with their 32c/64t 180w Opteron for $5000.

ark.intel.com/products/96900/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-8894-v4-60M-Cache-2_40-GHz

Broadwell Xeons have 2.5MB L3 per CORE, a lot of industrial workloads will suffer from this decision.

Probably, it's too good to be true otherwise.

3.7ghz is the peak single core turbo, user. It doesn't do that on all cores.
These parts are all super low clocked.

How do you get rid of baked on goyim?
The Thermal Solution

I'm more interested how SMT will work on 32 cores, current SMT at 8 cores can push the 1800X to reach the 10 core Broadwell-E in certain workloads, it's clearly more powerful.
If they can gain another 2% increase in SMT perf next year, after all it is their first try at it, scaling it to that many cores is gonna look sick.

WATER RACKS. Safest choice.

Dump it into space and how it works.

>What the fuck is Intel doing.
It's not what they're doing, it's what they didn't do. For 5 years. They sat on their ass. This is the results. AMD and ARM will tag team their stupid ass.

>Ryzen+
>All the hype of Zen except infinity fabric actually works this time
Desirable

IF has no issues when all the cores are stressed, meaning inter-CCX communication is minimal.

This is honestly only a problem with gaming, and I think this can be solved with better CCX load balancing, faster memory or just AMD making SKUs that run the fabric at full speed for the gamer market, enterprise doesn't need it because it will consume more power and performance impact will be minimal.

Theres literally nothing wrong with the infinity fabric in Ryzen.

>it into space
anything would fucking overheat since there's nothing to give away the heat to.

Just for you user i've run a stress test on my shiny new 1700 just to give a point of reference.

Do those power sensors work? Because that's pretty impressive if that's a overclocked 1700

There's some shit about +20c on all sensors for some reason.

So 32 cores at 2.7-2.9GHz base? Intel is literally finished.

This is just shameful.

It's running under an AIO that costs 160€, for fucks sake.

Completely stock btw.

The total package power measurement is accurate.

The 1700x and 1800x give their readout an additional 20c to allow themselves thermal margin to utilize XFR when applicable.

IBT is more stressful than AIDA from what I remember from my Nehalem days.

That's shitty TIM for you.

>18 cores
>3ghz
> low
In in for a 6c 12t skylake chip.

Well, I didn't set AIDA64 to also stress FPU. It goes to ridiculous temperatures if I do.

In fact, hold on 2 minutes and I'll stress it for you.

And I can't even buy a delidding tool where I live. Oh well, I'll return it when a new intel processor comes out, hopefully with better factory TIM.

The 1700 is binned for delicious low power draw, not clocks. I'm struggling to keep that chip stable at 4ghz right now.

I'm using a silver arrow on the standard fan profile set in the bios (i.e not silent or turbo).

Said 1700 also reports similar temps after 8hrs of prime95.

I wont let it run longer than that, don't want to fuck the cpu up until they release a new one.

HOLYYYYYYYY SHIT what the fug intel.

I'm running my 7700k under this.

A fucking 280MM CLC.

Literally a meme

Wew lad time for Intel to lose marketshare

Well I do live in a country thats on the cooler side of things but ryzen is blatantly designed to do mobile and server deploymewnts where power draw (and thus temps) matter. Desktop usage cases don't give a fuck about those particularly.

Perf/watt is the mother of all IC design targets, I'm so glad AMD is back in the game.

MORE POWER

I would consider this ambient to be rather ok for cooling, to be quite honest.

CLC is pleb tier shit

That is effectively the ambient temps that this 1700 faces. In fact right now because the heating isn't on its 18.4c in the room.

I agree with you. It's still better than the Noctua NH-D15 during the first hour or so of stress testing, until the liquid heats up from constant stressing though.

I don't mean to start a "what's the best cooler" war, I am just trying to prove a point that my 7700k is a fucking firehouse.

more like firelake amirite

>meanwhile, on actual nuclear reactor cpus...

Oh Intel, you so crazy.

You hit 4.7ghz under 1.45v?
Thats pretty impressive for Vishera.

>7700k
That thing is shit why didn't you get a 1700

When I bought my 7700k ryzen wasn't out. I've also had bad experiences with AMD in the past.

If you follow my posts back a bit into the thread you can see that my plan is sending back the 7700k as soon as a new, properly cooled i7 comes out, or if that doesn't happen, get ryzen (or the equivalent whenever it happens).

Its not impressive - those 'e' chips are what happens after a few years of process maturity. To think the 8370e clocks over 4ghz out of the box at a 95w envelope. My gut tells me that particular 8320e is good for 5ghz on roughly 1.48v but my motherboard could never handle the load to test that.

Ryzen literally came out a month later, and if your bad and experience is bulldozer then that's an exception from typical AMD

Even when the new i7's drop you'll need a new motherboard as the skylake/kabylake socket is dead.

Is it really? Oh well.

I am aware. The problems I had with AMD all were GPU related. I only had an AMD CPU when I was rocking an athlon whatever a bunch of years back.

>Is it really? Oh well.

A socket change a year keeps the goyim in fear.

>AMD
>GPU
Where do I even begin with this, the AMD that makes CPUs is completely different from the AMD that makes GPUs

Also if you had problems with a AMD GPU that wasn't a failure that required a RMA its your own fault.

1151 has been going on for a while now, though.

AMD has a really impressive core, but does it have an equally impressive presence, services and support as Intel? These things take time, they don't take skill or mathematical knowledge like building ICs, they take personnel, oiling up middle manager hands with cash donations.

Holy shit Intel is actually bankrupt if this is true.
(or at least seriously fucked for the next 2-3 years)

Where's the 32 core part that was promised?

>presence
well ryzen 7 outsold the intel extreme series in the first week of launch vs broadwell-e having 6 months or so to gain marketshare

AMD should hire a decent third party company to do that for them until they get at least a few profitable quarters.

It probably burned their lab down.

There was no PSU with enough amps to support it so it's taking time strapping it on a diesel generator

How close to 3 GHz can binned Ryzens hit at 50W?

> Hewbrew sweating intensifies

It's not literally every year. It's every two years. LGA1151 launched in late 2015. It's being replaced by LGA2066 in late 2017. Servers are moving to LGA3647

Some of them can hit 3ghz at 50w easy, and those aren't even particularly good samples. BitsandChips got one that had pretty incredible scaling at low power levels.
Safe to say that some 32c/64t Naples Opterons will be clocked at 2.5ghz or slightly higher.

3.2ghz you mean

>compare 6154 to 6136
The 6136 is the most impressive part there, but it looks to be practically golden considering how everything else is far more inefficient even at lower core count with lower clocks.. Probably comes with a Rolex and Intel might be lucky having 2 of these chips per wafer so supply will be minimal.

Either that or just a clockspeed typo, which would make more sense.

Or even worse, these are actually TURBO frequencies and not base frequencies.
If these are Turbo ones I feel sorry for Intel

If these are turbo clocks Intel might as well consider not releasing Skylake-EP/EX and just release FPGAs, because nobody looking at either performance or power will touch them.

If i'm remembering right that isn't far off The Stilt's own results.

Considering the mobo situation these tests should really be done in bulk when the platform stabilizes, there were BIOS updates from MSI that actually lowered voltages required, it was a few days within launch.

>8c/16t
>stable 3.6ghz
>under 75w
>stable 3.8ghz
>under 100w

A refresh of Ryzen is going to be ridiculous.

>as soon as a new, properly cooled i7 comes out
Hope you like waiting until 2021/2022.

More like top end Ryzens on a HP process would be ridiculous, rest can use LPP because low power chips have plenty of uses and are a fantastic marketing point.

They're half turbo half baseclock, a few SKU leaked before this. 6130 2.1ghz bclk 3.4ghz turbo, 6150 2.7ghz bclk 3.4ghz turbo, 8160 2.1ghz bclk 3.2ghz turbo, etc. They'll probably never run at this turbos with all cores (even though they're labeled all core) due to thermal restraints. It's like that feature on Nvidia GPUs where you can specify a TDP and it'll never exceed it even though it can potentially turbo higher.

I thought base clocks means and has meant never going lower than base clock while in P0 power state.

I think even the current Broadwell's stick to that.