/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Free_and_Open-Source_.28FOSS.29_operating_systemswithout_systemd_in_the_default_installation
linuxliteos.com/
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Copy_DNS_info
beets.io/
pastebin.com/rnDtdzt5
i.imgur.com/SM1gH6p.png
i.imgur.com/P6ZFvJn.png
i.imgur.com/NgXzDTA.png
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>tfw using Arch plebs as beta testers

2nd for elementary

No hard feelings

Manjaro lost pretty much any reputation with the system time happening.

So I'm a windowsfag that's been shopping around for a good distro to switch to.

I was recently redpilled on systemd. Can anyone point me to either a list of good distros that don't use it, or even a particular systemd-less distro they would recommend?

Also semi-related: I'm a noob when it comes to low-level *nix, but I keep hearing that a lot of stuff depends on systemd. By choosing to forsake it, am I going to be losing a lot of functionality? Alternatively, could somebody give me a good explanation as to how things can explicitly depend on an init/management system, which I would have expected to run transparently in the background? Pls no bully

>I was recently redpilled on systemd
>Pls no bully
m8

force the DE developers to use systemd as a non-optional dependency, all it takes

>I was recently redpilled on systemd

>I was recently bamboozled by memers and faggots on Sup Forums

Ftfy

Because systemd is no longer only an init. That's like one of the main complaints. Shit's even affecting the kernel nowadays.

What insightful responses.

>By choosing to forsake it, am I going to be losing a lot of functionality?
I'm running Arch with openrc, and everything works after installing systemd compatibility packages like eudev-sysyemd and libeudev-systemd.
>Can anyone point me to either a list of good distros that don't use it
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Free_and_Open-Source_.28FOSS.29_operating_systemswithout_systemd_in_the_default_installation
I'd also recommend manjaro openrc.

The problem is that all distros that don't have systemd aren't exactly beginner-friendly.

>a list of good distros
Debian Ubuntu Fedora openSUSE Gentoo
>that don't use it
only leaves us with Gentoo

>I'm running Arch
Me too, btw.

>only leaves us with Gentoo
I considered installing Gentoo but I don't want my CPU to melt or my electricity bills to triple.

Manjaro is beginner friendly. That's why I've recommended it to him.

That's their site problem, not their os's. Also, that could happen to Ubuntu site as well.

You could check out PCLinuxOS, see if it suits you

>

>PCLinuxOS
worst distro name ever

won't argue with that
BUT it's systemd-free and beginner-firendly

I want argue with that
linuxliteos.com/

lmao

Does not appear with anti adblock killer.

At least it's not a nigger name like Ubuntu

Will that conflict with ublock?

Nope. It's designed to coexist with adblockers.

Will check.

Eh I have some experience, I'm willing to get dirty.

Good to know, but
>manjaro
From what I heard it's basically Arch but with bloat. Am I wrong?

Explain please

I've been unironically considering something like SourceMage for the memes but I can't figure out for shit if they're using systemd or not.

>bloat
What's bloat again? Definitions seem to differ here.

Manjaro is Arch but with graphical installer and 2 week package delay. This way it breaks less than Arch.

Half joking, since Gentoo requires you to compile every single thing you want to install, including the distro itself, hence the processor melting/elec bill increasing ten fold.

>So I'm a windowsfag that's been shopping around for a good distro to switch to.
Stopped reading there. Ubuntu-MATE, use it for a few weeks, then come back and you will have learnt a lot to be in a better position to decide and hop on something new.

If you want to learn, you'll have to dip your cock into a lot of distros to see how they drive. If you want something that "just werks", stick to Ubuntu-MATE.

>accidentally uninstalled all of GNOME
>with apt-get --purge
>lost internet connection
>cant get the packages again

rip

>tfw """translation""" of that page is just a (broken) redirect to google translate
kek.

boot from usb and chroot into yo system.
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Copy_DNS_info

tool for mass music organization?

man rm

this doesn't help me

That makes sense. By bloat I mostly mean packages I will never use, and stuff running in the background that I don't actually need. So usually 90% of preinstalled stuff on any distro which does have preinstalled stuff.

But I don't want something that "just werks". I want something better, and I appreciate that I will have to learn, but Ubuntu will not teach me anything. I already know how to use the shell and the basics of system management and package management. What else would I have to gain from trying ubuntu?

What are you trying to do? Tag audio files? Move them around?

keep reading

tagging them, yeah

puddletag is simliar to mp3tag

beets.io/

Nah. They're human beings just like you and me who are always learning from their mistakes. Manjaro fills a very desirable niche. Take a look at archlinux.org, there are constantly little bugs and things happening, most of them probably won't effect you but eventually one will, and every once in a great while there will be one that fucks with a ton of users. What the Manjaro devs do is a great service to keep users who don't wish to from having to deal with any of that. They don't generally keep packages for more than 30 days so you're still more up to date than pretty much everyone but Arch. Fedora gets GNOME packages about the same time as Arch though so you'll be behind Fedora and Arch on that front. UNLESS You're using the Manjaro unstable repos which sync with Arch stable. But that's a whole 'nother post.

out of all the distros I've tried to use on pc and raspberry, over the years arch has always been the one to give me the least shit. *buntu shits the bed the second boot after a clean install or during updates, invariably. Every other distro broke and shat the bed during other normal use or didn't even get as far as normal use. Arch has been just werking on my laptop for ages and on my raspberry pi for 2 years, 0 problems

Firs time?
Ok
2nd time with the same exact problem?
Nah
3rd time with the same exact problem?
kek

pls stop posting "just werks"
it makes me angry ;_;

>2nd time with the same exact problem?
>Nah
>3rd time with the same exact problem?
>kek
It never effected me for some reason

>le ironic "just werks" shitposting with the sole purpose of making you angry
[spoiler]Though you have to admit that it just werks[/spoiler]

Filtering "just werks" with 4chanx just werks.

Read
Read

It's that an Apple slogen?

>website problems
wew

if archlinux.org gets down, do you uninstall it?

>using anything but the mainstream distributions with a large user/maintainer/developer base
ishygddt

If they go down for hosting reasons, not for forgetting to renew the ssl cert 3 times, and not when they tell me to revert my system date
kek

>under 1000 packages on Debian
how the fuck do I do this

I have no idea what I can safely uninstall and what I can't
shitty aptitude has no real dependency tree functionality either

>I have Manjaro already pre installed on my thinkpad

Fuck.

>don't let small distros go big
>let the big ones dictate the community
t-thanks

>unironically telling people to revert to an earlier date because your certificate expired

That's actually amazing.

Manjaro is still 100k better than Mint.

holy fuck not even currysoft is capable of this level of incompetence

stop samefagging, retard

lol why are memejaro devs this insecure

>samefagging this hard
stahp

No
Nice font rendering

Please fix your fonts.

>chrome
what is wrong with you

Fuck off

there's nothing wrong with my font rendering you doofuses.

just because it doesn't replicate yours doesn't meant they're bad.

KEK

>inspect element

He's right you know.

None of these are you!

>xfce edition
>not using glorious bspwm edition
Tried it in a VM a while back. neato.

>he doesn't rice his 4chin css

SJWfox died on me, I've been meaning to migrate to Iridium but I'm the user that mentioned shopping for a good linux distro so I don't really feel the need to change my current system if I'm going to be switching my entire OS soon.

It's objectively shit and uneven you nigger

i failed gcse maths.
do i have any hope in programming?
should i even spend my time trying?

Post yours then little shit

CSS is shit bloat, just disable it.

-Creating an Infinality-like font configuration for Arch-
(pic related)

From a clean slate on Arch we can now create a similar font configuration to the infinality-bundle's without having to use the patched packages. It is now possible to easily get great-looking results with the default interpreter.

1. Create the following symlinks to instruct freetype2 to use good-looking rendering defaults
sudo ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/11-lcdfilter-default.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d
sudo ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d

2. Modify (or create) /etc/fonts/local.conf to contain these contents: pastebin.com/rnDtdzt5

3. At this point your fonts should look pretty good and this is a fine place to stop. BUT we can do even better by making sure that we have all fonts on the system that were defined as substitutions earlier. To do this we need to install the packages fonts-meta-extended-lt and fonts-meta-base from the AUR which will build the rest of the fonts required.

After having done all this, restarting the X-server by logging out and back in should apply all changes.

-Screenshots-
Linux - Wikipedia: i.imgur.com/SM1gH6p.png
Github - i.imgur.com/P6ZFvJn.png
Arch website - i.imgur.com/NgXzDTA.png

GNU//Linux*

>gcse maths
gcse?

If you suck at math, please do not code.

Will snaps replace traditional package managers, or simply exist as a complement?

I.e. will you be able to upgrade the kernel using snapd, or is snaps just for userland "apps" such as VLC, Firefox, Nautilus and whatnot?

>derivatives that have no differences from the base distro except for more useless bloat preinstalled are worth using and supporting

>It's objectively shit and uneven you nigger
i don't like blurry shit and have hinting set to full.
get over it

Gib advice

I literally can't into visual design, so unless you can provide a solid base for me to customise off of, I'm not going to be able to come up with jack shit

>advice
Install stylish, get a premade theme, start customizing colors, get a new idea, search the web about the topic, repeat.

snap package is what your average installer is for Windows.

I doubt it will ever replace package managers because it's space and resource inefficient but will be used for convenience for large graphical applications like productivity software, videogames so on and so forth.

>install package with apt
>comes with 50 other shits
>purge package with apt
>purges a fraction of the 50 shits that it came with

bravo aptitude

Use pacamn nesxt time.

apt != aptitute
also learn2rtfm

Install 4chanX and Oneechan.

>pacman
I heard it recently got package signing - neat. :^)

>recently
it's old

arch and gentoo are really the only things that will work as """normal""" without systemd.. just because you're going to be fixing it half your day whether or not you have systemd

bout 5 years ago

Will this systemd autism ever end?
It's horribly annoying. Holy shit.

Define "failed"

If you actually went and got a U, then consider a liberal arts degree followed by opening your own coffee shop in some back street

Otherwise, can you into logic? By that I mean formal logic. Google "propositional logic" and see if you can make sense of it.
>wtf is this shit
Nope, don't even try
>you spend hours trying to understand it
You could possibly learn programming by rote, but you'd be a shit-tier script monkey and in the current day and age that's unfortunately not really enough for employment. Do yourself a favour and try something you actually enjoy doing and are good at.
>you kinda get it, it's starting to speak to you
You'll never need to solve a differential equation or integrate a volume of rotation or solve a quadratic trigonometric equation, unless you're programming a physics simulation or something. If you can get into discrete mathematics, you might have a chance.

If you are getting the hang of logic, try looking at something like deterministic and non-deterministic finite automata. Just look up material online. If this also seems like it makes sense to you, congratulations, you suck at "continuous" maths but you are alright at discrete maths, give programming a try.