The best mainstream workstation computer. Hands down

The best mainstream workstation computer. Hands down.

If only it had a GTX1080Ti...and USB-C/TB3

Other urls found in this thread:

techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8664-parallels-desktop-uses-limited-egpu/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>workstation
>gaming graphics card
Yeah no

My E5-2699v3 pisses all over that puny piece of shit.

Is it upgradable?
If you buy a soldered workstation then you are part of the problem.

Who the fuck upgrades workstation CPUs?

Intel literally changes sockets like I change socks and condoms.

No it isn't.

So? Xeons have no problem working with a "gayming" GPU.

1080Ti has a ton of CUDA cores.

2011-3 is from 2014
you're one disgusting fellow

>CPU is the only component in a computer

>a fucking bin

Agreed.

i mean i could get into a small silent pc but this thing is so fucking ugly and I don't even know if its silent

>you don't need X feature anyway, goy
Applefags never fail to use the same rhetoric

it's not

But it's'go't've severely gimped compute performance due to not officially being a Quadro GPU

This computer came out in 2013 and hasn't seen one single upgrade or price drop.

It's actually quite nice looking in person and very silent. It does get hot tho, but it has good thermals.

>on 4chin
>claims to have use for condoms

Not for him, for the nigger's dick that goes to his ass

of course it hasn't
apple has abandoned the pro sector

>Wanting unexpandable apple bullshit
>wanting a million more wires that would've never been there if it was a sane design

HAHAHAHAHA no

This is wrong. What it's lacking is certain high-precision feature/instruction sets that are found in Quadro cards, GeForce cards aren't gimped in terms of raw performance.

>It does get hot
>but it has good thermals
>pic related

>2017 Mac Pro
>Ryzen/Nipples dual CPUs
>Radeon Instinct insane vega GPUs in crossfire

Make it happen, Tim.

You'll get a glorified mac mini

He won't, Applel doesn't care about the workstation or pro markets anymore. Even the current MBP is a consumer laptop through and through in every aspect but the name.

>and I don't even know if its silent

Its extremely quiet. I have to put my ear in the actual hole to hear a faint fan spinning. They did well on the thermals too.

>no isolation switch on a device that's 100's of watts.
Is that even legal?
>power button's right there
That's not a isolation switch.

maybe it clicks in?

It gets hot to touch (I have one at work) when on full load, but it doesn't hamper the performance you fag. How hard is it to understand?

He's not wrong, the only reason to give a shit about upgradability on that level anymore is if you're the poorfaggot buying it second hand in 10 years who's going to need to swap everything out to get it up to spec. Businesses on 3-year upgrade cycles couldn't give a fuck.

it doesn't
it's a soft button

>best
>throttles to 2GHz when you open youtube
lol

>2.5x better than the 0.8GHz their shitbooks throttle too

The point is that due to design you don't get all the performance for the hardware you pay for.
Throttling CPU on such an expensive Desktop machine is inexcusable

and on Sup Forums of all places

b-but it looks cool

How long did you use one for?

>HAHAHAHAHA no

Came here to post this.

well maybe if he was on /fit/ and didn't want to get AIDS

Where did you get these numbers from?

You literally haven't used one have you?

We have a 12 core here at work and I run it at 100% all the time and it never throttles. I check with Intel Power Gadget.

He's aplying the macbook pro throttles maymay to this computer.

Our department got a few for our CADfags and all of them complained about terrible performance. In fact it was so bad that they had to send them back and give dell desktops instead.

I don't know what apple was smoking when they designed the cooling system on those mac pros, but it's beyond garbage. Heavy loads cause that thing to sound like a jet engine and performance worsens over time.

AMD cards for professional are shit.

It thermal throttles under anny sustained load making it useless for anny serious work.

this trash bin already overheats AS FUCK when significant load is put on these xeons, and you want to stick 1080ti inside? Are you stupid?

sometimes I like to treat myself to a posh wank

>E5-2699v3
You know high core CPUs tend to sacrifice single-threaded performance to better handle multicore workloads.

For example, Intel has a 72-core CPU that is clocked at 1.5 Ghz and which is useless for home PCs, since it's inferior in single-threaded performance to a decent i7.

That's a server CPU, it's basically useless for a desktop.

No apple fan here, but this thing is a fucking engineering marvel.

>4x full sized DIMMs
>2011-3 socket
>Dual GPUs
>Internal PSU
>Novel cooling approach

>Still smaller than anything ITX has to offer

I actually think the price for this is justified.

and a fast ssd
and a good cpu
and good cooling
and more pcie slots

How did they go from pic related to

i buy condoms for my wife's bull.

They realised that hipsters are always going to be hipsters, whether they are professional animation experts/developers or starbucks based novelists.

>>Novel cooling approach
Yeah novel and shit

they thought they had to reduce all parts of their target audience to the hardcore fans who think they're innovative and love whatever they throw at them
easiest and smoothest way to exit the specialized pro sector, unnecessary r&d for the little amount of sold units compared to phones and tablets

While I agree,
Apple was never about expandability. They treat their products like appliances.

Can you upgrade your TV?
Can you upgrade your radio/bluetooth speaker?
Can you upgrade your washing machine?
Can you upgrade your refrigerator?

The Trash Pro can be a good computer if they update with legit GPUs, newer Xeons (or HEDT CPUs) and faster RAM and new USB-C ports.

Blame the AMD GPUs not the computer itself.

I max out the CPU all the time on these in applications like After Effects, which doesn't use the GPU for renders, and it doesn't sound loud at all.

Remember the GPUs in the Trash Pro are from 2012 or some gay shit like that and are 28nm.

>cad
>mac pro
This sounds totally credible.

Idiot, new Xeons are out which run cooler.

1080Ti runs cool compared to the dual AMDpoor GPUs which are from 2012 and are 28nm.

Workstation class GPUs are a meme for a mainstream commercial product.

Jobs died and Tim Cook has gay dementia

>looks a trash bin
Well, at least it's self-aware

if you're using a workstation for single threaded workloads you're as stupid as all other macfags

What the fuck is that ashtray looking motherfucker doing next to a monitor?

Can I attach two eGPUs to the thunderbolt ports and use both simultaneously in VMs? Are decent condition used ones less than $2000? If not then it's no better than the trash can that people meme it as and I'll be sticking with my PC running buttbuntu.

Yes you can.

Not sure about eGPU in VM, though. May have to just install Winshit via Bootcamp. Also it's TB2 and not TB3.

You can find a quad core for around $2000 and then upgrade the CPU later when corporations dump their xeons on eBay.

That's what I did with the last 2010 Mac Pro and had a 12 core MP.

They used laptop cooling components for desktop cards.

>run cooler
What are you talking? Intel is literally living NetBurst again.

>Not sure about eGPU in VM
Then it's literally useless to me. I need to be able to use multiple Windows and Mac OS X VMs for GPU intensive professional tools.

You've got some poor reading comprehension.

It's up to Winshit and VMWare/Parallels....not macOS's fault.

But from a quick search it may be possible:
techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8664-parallels-desktop-uses-limited-egpu/

A
FUCKING
TRASHCAN

For that I prefeer that you build a X79 hackintosh. Essencially 6,1 Mac pro clone. Thunderbolt 2 is stil more slow than PCIe 3.0 and can cause issues with virtual machines.
Look the rampagedev homepage. He recommends motherboards for these builds.

I'm typing this on a MacMini (my third one over the years) while my MacBook Pro is charging behind me and my iPhone in front of me while watching The Big Bang Theory on a second monitor just to piss you guys off, but you're full of shit. The "current" Mac Pro is an embarrassment for Apple - something went clearly wrong along the way and they won't (openly) admit it yet still sell the damn thing for day-one-money. Even the faggiest of macfags are aware of that, so unless you have a *very* specific use-case, the Mac Pro is just a bad choice all-around.

They literally went from the sexiest Workstation in look and functionality to a fucking trash can.

overheating problems

firmware problems with fully encrypted drives

non standard layout making it difficult to upgrade and maintain

Hugely overpriced for both speed and quality of machine.

But other than that, it's great. Totally concur.

Money saving TIP. Pic related is a fantastic way to get yourself an even more compact system that you'll get JUST as much use out of!