Post legitimately good reasons why you still haven't installed Ubuntu...

Post legitimately good reasons why you still haven't installed Ubuntu, the best Linux distribution as your primary operating system and or why you still haven't tried or installed Ubuntu yet.

Other urls found in this thread:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10
forums.windowscentral.com/search.php?searchid=31292519
discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/sierra
forum.xda-developers.com/android/help
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm literally using it right now. But it's shit when compared to fedora.

Wifi disconnects after resuming from suspend (bug since 2012).
Apport crashes immediately after installation (bug since 2014).
It's slow as fuck and comes with Amazon installed.

Because I am already using the best Linux distribution

That doesn't look like Gentoo.

>Wifi disconnects after resuming from suspend (bug since 2012).
i've seen this only on a small handful of machines. on those it was easily fixed by making an alias to one of the following commands and running it after resume:
1. sudo systemctl restart network-manager.service
2. sudo service network-manager stop && sleep 7 && sudo service network-manager start

>Apport crashes immediately after installation (bug since 2014).
this happens so rarely it's a joke now, and even if it does happen, it doesn't affect workflow at all.

>It's slow as fuck and comes with Amazon installed.
amazon installed... what are you on about? it's a search lens and can be turned off with a simple click (pic related). this was remedied releases ago, and even the instruction on fixubuntu are outdated (though you can turn it off via unity tweak tool as well, it's just redundant).

tldr: everything you've said is over-exaggerated fud.

I am running Xubuntu on all my thinkpads and my server.

Unity is the ugliest DE made. XFCE4 has its bugs and needs some fiddling but it's the best.

I would run it on my desktop but my only legit reason is there's no good musicbee alternative on linux. I want to browse my whole music library and have album cover pictures next to the songs. I know this might be the most autistic thing ever but I want it. Otherwise I use cmus.

>I want to browse my whole music library and have album cover pictures next to the songs.
clementine and gmusicbrowser both display the album art of the currently playing track in a box integrated into the window

Amazon is turned off by default as of last year. So it's just there on the disk doing nothing and won't be noticed.

I'm not interested in using amazonOS.

Dash is objectively terrible
Gnome 2 was nearing perfection and Gnome 3 set desktop linux back about 5 years

It uses systemd

Manjaro is better.

Exschushm me shure. I dont shink sho.

Chakra is better

For some reason, it doesn't recognize my windows 7 partition

Lazyness, also, lack of information.
Convince me: give me reasons why Ubuntu > Windows, I code on a daily basis and do some graphic design using adobe products.

One reason would be that you can use git from the terminal instead of having to install a seperate git terminal like in Windows.

Unironically this.

>adobe
Those aren't on Linux yet, and probably never will be. Linux isn't for you.

on it rn but it does not show cuz i switched cards for now but its 970m but fuck unity xubuntu

I needed to create app and decides to use cordova, ionic, angular js, installed android sdk and all other needed tools, set android home path and all that, however it still refused to build, tried to fix it with various ways and settinf different permissions, there were some info on forums but after 2 days I give up, installed Windows 10, now pc is slow af but everything works.. Oh well, also I needed to use ps and other Adobe products for studies, laptop has 4 gig ram, so its not enough for VM, also another thing to mention is that there is so much less software torrents for Linux as there is for Windows.. I do a lot of web dev stuff, and mozzila was shit browser for web dev as it has its own styling for html elements, and Chrome iš buggy af(twiching)

Wish it worked on my machine.

I want to like it, but I'm not sure how I feel about their replacing AUR with CCR and the all-Qt philosophy.

don't need corporate shit on my system thanks

I'd been an Arch user for some years before switching to Ubuntu. Honestly, at some point you want to choose a distro which takes the least time between installing, and getting actual work done. I chose Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, installed everything I need, removed the bloatware, and couldn't be happier. It just works.

masterrace

Pretty much this.

Ubuntu is easy and Unity is one of the better DEs but it spontaneously sudokus, shits out error messages for everything and comes with actual bloat. I've had to laugh off errors popping up in my face in front of colleagues.

>"Why do you use Linux, user?"
>"Let me show you"
>PROBLEM DETECTED
>Have to click multiple times because there's about 5 errors hiding behind the one
>coworker laughs at me
>Have to Super + F2 to restart Unity after it crashes
>"I-it's good, I-I swear!"

I'll never live that down.

Fedora is just better all around and has the de facto best DE.

I'll stick with Debian, thanks.

fedora workstation is pretty heavy, and you can't run the latest version for the first few months while you wait for all the third party repos to fix their shit since the official repo is terrible

I prefer installing what I want instead of uninstalling what I don't want, and I get to look like a cool hacker.

>arch

First help anyone suggests for Linux is always command line or config file bullshit. It's not the 80's anymore, get that crap out of here.

>fedora workstation is pretty heavy
Heavy in what way? It's pretty light. You just get a couple of Gnome apps and that's it. I have noticed a bunch of languages installed, like Lua, but that's only because I tried learning it one day. I don't know of any heavy stuff myself.

You're right about the third-party repos taking a while to play catch up with the newest release though. I know there's UnitedRPMs that makes a point of supporting the new release faster than RPMFusion but I haven't personally used it.

a while ago i made a post about linux lacking creative, professional, enterprise and engineering applications which hurts it's adaptation as a desktop platform.
of course i was laughed at.
the reality is that there are some interesting technical reasons why large commercial applications aren't typically deployed on linux. not as native applications anyway.

>Fedora is just better all around
No, no it's not
>Bugs with Wayland that did not exist in 24 make using Wayland painful in 25
>Weird bug in Plymouth which makes it unable to hook properly unless there is a need to use it (Needing to input a password to unlock a encrypted drive)
>Bug with Broadwell audio that was introduced in Linux 4.2 STILL not fixed due to dev stance.
>DNF can trigger syslinux for some reason
I want to like Fedora, but it's shit

>enterprise and engineering applications
Some of that shit still only works on DOS, they'll never change.

Ubuntu MATE is best Ubuntu.

Botnet

that's what aliases are for, or if that's too hard for little baby, then you can save the commands as .sh files and link a .desktop file to them so it has an icon that you simply click on. voila.

Ha Ha Ha Ha, no, any operating system that still expects users to use a command line for daily activities deserves is

you're cute
you can came here whenever you want.

>Ubuntu
Botnet

I use lubuntu, does that count? If it does not, then ubuntu is not the best distribution.

this plus you can do a minimal installation with only your DE of choice, runs smoothly

never had any of these issues

I'm actually installing it right now. OpenSUSE is horse shit and I don't feel like setting up Debian, since I'm too lazy to manually edit sudoers and hunt down firmware for wireless hardware. Ubuntu really does "just work". I'll give it that.

because it has systemd

>any operating system that still expects users to use a command line for daily
what daily activities do you need to use a command line for on a modern LiGNUx distro? the bug you mention affects a minscule amount (e.g.

Lol, what is horse shit about OpenSuSE? It's the most complete Linux desktop is with the smoothest install available.

agreed, wifi needs to work asap so we can stay in the basement to avoid our moms telling us to get jobs

i can't stand ubuntu GUI i can't i mean gnome is horrendous, but ubuntu "kernel" is ok

we've been over 2% since July senpai

source?

>smoothest install available
YaST2 is an absolute clusterfuck and zypper is slower than a drunken snail with Down's syndrome. Sorry, but I don't like wasting half of my life installing packages when I can just apt install [package name] and have it finish in 5 minutes, or download a .deb file instead of fucking with links or a terrible GUI application to access the repos. OpenSUSE is shit.

THIS! THIS! THIS! I only go upstairs to reheat my tendies or make more because stupid mommy won't let me take the microwave to the man cave. What a bitch.

I would, but it wouldn't destroy desktop Linux. Once putting it out of it's misery like Old Yeller becomes possible, I will.

>what daily activities do you need to use a command line for on a modern LiGNUx distro?

Pretty much fucking irrelevant when it's more of a constant stream of this bullshit every time you need something new or an upgrade kills something. Maybe if you can get the official ubuntu help forums to never list the solution as a command line or config file edit ever again it would matter, of course not a damn thing would ever get "fixed" that way.

kubuntu is so fancy
i love it

>a constant stream of this bullshit every time you need something new or an upgrade kills something

happens on winshit, OS X, BSD and every fucking operating system on the planet, every day, all of the time. i had to help my roommate reset a saved wifi password on win10 the other day and it turned out due to some obnoxious bug we had to use a string of commands at the prompt.

Let's be honest, we all use linux for one reason, and that's because it's fun.

That being said, I have a really solid system on arch atm and it's really good and stable from what I've made it to be.

Any reason why I should switch to Debian? I've been thinking about it.

I honestly don't know. Sup Forums was having a reaction images thread, thought it was funny

People won't laugh at you in public.

I do have it installed, but am wasting my life playing video games currently, or maybe I have good reasoning to at the current time, I do hobby development work and all things unrelated to gaming there. I try to stay somewhat fresh in windows in case I ever land a job in IT, but it's probably an excuse to spend more time playing games. I find windows 7 lack of features regarding window management somewhat annoying. No built in always on top, at least they have tiling somewhat with Super+arrowkeys. Windows starts to become more a pain in the ass when trying to program things, and actually have it be fun while doing it, so whenever I get seriously motivated to make something I'll boot into ubuntu.

>Post legitimately good reasons why you still haven't installed Ubuntu
Because debian > ubuntu.

Help me out here

Why is Arch such a joke around here?

Doesn't happen for 99.99% of windows, mac, android, or iOS users. Linux needs to get it's shit together or gracefully die out of view somewhere. Once Linus is dead, the power vacuum will cement the stalemate that is desktop Linux.

So opensus is shit because the GUI isn't nice. Lol, got it.

>actually expecting menu settings to do what they say

Because this is literally Ubuntu but better

I dunno, I never used it. I hear it's high-maintenance for pretty limited added value, but I have no idea whether that's true.

The package manager is a huge part of the OS. If I can't install new packages then I might as well boot it from a flash drive. Why bother installing it? Why not just use Windows XP or some shit? OpenSUSE is a shitty distro.

>Doesn't happen for 99.99% of windows, mac, android, or iOS users.

sure:
- answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10

- forums.windowscentral.com/search.php?searchid=31292519

- discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/sierra

- forum.xda-developers.com/android/help

that's why their support forums are full of people whining about unsolved bugs or complicated issues they can't solve themselves

KYS DBADIAF

you can spot an archfag based on how much the bring up package managers because all they do is run pacman -Syu 12 hours a day

some, that's true.
but there are plenty for windows and mac. there are even some for older unix workstations they people never even bothered to port to linux, like autocad. the question is why?

I don't use Ubuntu because I'm racist and Ubuntu is some nigger word from a nigger language and the logo is bunch of libtards holding hands with disgusting nogs.

AUR is plenty of value

Wasted quads. I've never used Arch outside of a VM. I prefer Debian based distros.

Was using Ubuntu GNOME because I actually really like GNOME 3, but I was getting errors both with Xorg and Wayland (MSI laptop I got new a year ago). Tried Fedora hoping it would be more up-to-date, but it worked even less well. Just installed vanilla Ubuntu yesterday, and it's working flawlessly.

I want GNOME to succeed because I do like it, but I can't use it on my machine as it is

>ubuntu

What's the most stable distroo for using wine and for gaming/emulation? I don't know whether to use gentoo or fedora or mint or something else entirely.

Debian sucks ass

Funny, I just did. Backed up the old arch install and put 16.04 gnome spin on. Hopefully I won't need to touch it for awhile.

I just watched his 3 part series on Linux. Is he the scooby of Linux?

What's your hardware? Gnome runs fine on my machine.

It literally doesn't matter. Just pick a distro and install them.

:/ thanks.

yeah, you tell 'em!

about to install the best linux distribution.

tbqh, ubuntu and mint if you want it to be stable out of the box, but any distro will run them pretty well with slight tweaking. The distro nazis here are just daily banter. There's not very much different from distro to distro. It's like a bunch of kids arguing over their favorite baseball teams, in the end, it's just a game.

>fedora
I have no knowledge of fedora on whether if it's any good or not strictly due to the fact of its cringy name. Because of its name, I refuse to use it.

Ubungu didn't boot right after install, I installed Fedora
this nigger knows

Hello brother

>cringy

not a word.

what desktop do you use with fedora?

the only native one. GNOME 3 tweaked to hell and back

they should make a /grammarandspelling/ for people like you

I'm sorry, I had to.

>poor out-of-the-box performance
>not a rolling release distribution

I watch youtube videos in terminal interface on Ubuntu, am I cool yet ?

I'm worried I'll get shit on for using GNOME

>not a rolling release distribution
this.

>worrying about opinions of men on a cantonese 1000 year old demon loli forum
honestly, just shit on them for not using wayland

there's like 36.7quintillion tutorials on how to do that when you google "raspberry pi youtube"

I fucking love wayland, I've had xorg bug the fuck out on me too much and wayland is just so crispy and fresh