How do you guys feel about Chome OS and their Chromebooks? Do you think being internet and cloud based is good/cool?

How do you guys feel about Chome OS and their Chromebooks? Do you think being internet and cloud based is good/cool?

Other urls found in this thread:

archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8/mediatek/acer-chromebook-r13
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i like chromebooks only when they're easy to replace with gnu/linux
never used chromeos for more than a few minutes at a time desu

good battery life, keyboards feel fine for what they are

They seem like shit.

surfing on an older chromebook -- the samsung gen 1. ChromeOS is lightweight enough for this shitbox to run, so I'm happy with it.

I don't mind it too much, but I put in a minimal USB in the 3.0 port for media and downloads and such.

Other than that, it's good. Keyboards are pretty nice, and even this old one can handle 5-6 tabs at a time (I never bother with more than 3 usually).

I'll probably get a newer chromebook next year to replace this one, so that I can have a bit better performance

So what about doing stuff such as Microsoft office? Are you able to?

chromebooks seem like a fine idea for most normalfags. They can watch netflix and browse facebook, which is what 95% of people use their computers for anyway.
Even for Sup Forumsentoomen they aren't that bad. They're cheap as fuck, and they have good battery lives. Throw linux on one and you have a pretty decent light browsing computer.

How do you feel about Chrome OS though?

like I said, for the average computer user that just uses a browser it's enough.

I use google docs etc. and can export them to microsoft. It isnt too bad

Do you think the idea of having most of a persons data stored on a cloud instead of physically on the computer could be the future? Along with using only online programs?

I think it could be pretty cool if refined pretty well.

no i don't think having most of your stuff on 'the cloud' will really change things

they just want to datamine you and sell you advertisements, it won't actually be a huge technological change

>How do you feel about Chrome OS and their Chromebooks?
Literal cancer.

>Do you think being internet and cloud bases is good/cool?
Fuck no. If you seriously think it is, you need to reevaluate your EVERYTHING.

I replaced the godawful surface pro 3 with an Acer R13. Couldn't be happier. It's the perfect shitposting-in-couch-machine.

I've been thinking about throwing linux on it, but it seems to be hard considering the mediatek cpu. I can't program, so fiddling with the os and compiling it myself won't really work.

archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8/mediatek/acer-chromebook-r13

literally right here dude. you don't have to compile anything

Holy shit, thanks user.
Sorry for being retarded, I've never actually used any Linux distro. Will try dual booting it for a bit before deciding if I want to completely jump ship.

If you've never used any Linux distro ever, then I highly recommend just sticking with that setup. Especially since it's Arch Linux.

Compiling is just a Gentoo meme.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it out and see if I like it.

It's really not that hard to learn, it's just different from standard distros. You will most likely start out with just a shell, and have to install X and a desktop environment, or just a window manager if that's what you end up liking. So you'll just have to do some reading. No compiling needed though, it's just packages like every other distro.

He's talking about Gentoo, not a joke distro for schoolkids who can't manage their time.

Are you implying that Gentoo is not a joke distro?

Can you explain me what a meme distro is?

Unlike Arch, Gentoo has its applications in production, for example Chrome OS is built on top of Gentoo.

Arch is made for schoolkids in order to learn them CLI, no one use it in production. Every serious distro has a minimal installer up to installing from a host environment in chroot, for example Ubuntu Core and debootstrap, schoolkids just don't know about it.

*in order to teach them CLI
**no one uses

I'm seriously considering getting one.

Do you guys ever notice how the majority of cheap Chromebooks look leagues better than cheap Windows laptops? Win10 laptops are always big, black, and clunky, and heavy as fuck by comparison.

Chromebooks are often sleek, slender, well trimmed and light. I kinda feel like Microsoft is fucked, most people just want a laptop browser and that's it.

What did you dislike about the Surface?

Running Manjaro on mine and I find it really comfy

Are there decent Linux drivers for the pen? I'd really like to ditch Windows on mine as well.

I never did use linux on it, so if we're talking softwere it was obviously shit. It has softbricked itself several times which means I've had to wipe it and lost everything on it several times as well.

Hardware wise, it gets hot as fuck and the fan comes on for basically nothing. The kickstand is pretty flimsy, can't use it on lap in a comfortable manner. Keyboard options are shit as well.

Tried to factory reset it last night so I could give it to gf since she's been using a shitty samsung tablet forever. When I started the reset, it bricked. Couldn't boot into windows or anything. In the end I had to reinstall windows onto a partition of the harddrive, which meant I had to guess which one to wipe and reinstall it on. Thankfully, it went well. I've now created seceral backups for when it inevitably bricks itself again.

Sounds like Google is attempting to transform ChromeOS into a legitimate operating system to compete with Windows. Once that happens i'm not sure how Microsoft is going to compete, on a consumer Chromebooks are becoming more appealing to the average person.

In the educational system they're also being used more and more because of how simple and cheap they are, they require such low maintenance to function properly.

If all you do is browse the web, and don't care about muh privacy, they are perfect.

chromebooks with crouton are pretty comfy

Botnet.

This. I have a Dell Chromebook 13 and I'm running GalliumOS.

Oh, you're the guy from yesterday. Have you tried undervolting your Surface Pro 3?

Mine is equipped with the i5 4300u. I undervolted the processor and the Integrated Graphics Processor.

No but I read about that yesterday a bit. Seems useful, will probably do that so it won't crap out on my gf. Simplest way to go about it?

Thinking of getting one for general browsing and shitposting because I don't feel like lugging my hueg ThinkPad everywhere. What's the most recommended Chromebook?

I have the acer chromebook 14. I like it.

Currently Acer R13, Asus C302 and Samsung Chromebook Plus/Pro.

Dell 3, or an old chromebook pixel off ebay

I corebooted mine yesterday.

>tfw it comes with a free software friendly wifi card

Chrome OS sucks ass.
There is nothing wrong with cloud as long as everything in the cloud is only decrypted by you-- the user.