Nostalgia thread: Sup Forums edition

What programs/interactive games made your childhood more enjoyable?

>pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MWNBhHf5reI
youtube.com/watch?v=Gfb4qKGjQcs
youtu.be/Cmq-ZWGlvko?t=973
youtube.com/watch?v=JJ9CS0KUZvY
wired.com/1994/05/alt-tasteless/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
catb.org/jargon/html/S/September-that-never-ended.html
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/its-september-forever
urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=September That Never Ended
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Dransik / Ashen Empires before that shitty patch that ruined the game. :'(

When I was young, I enjoyed everything except education-based games.

Edu-games are all designed horrendously bad, and you will never unlock your potentialplaying those. I think I learned more about economy, society, betrayal, lust, gardening, treespotting, fishing, smithing and herbology by playing runescape. That game was magical 14 years ago, but you newfags won't understand.

You fags won't know how it feels to have your heart pounding while you try to escape a fireblast mage deep in the wilderniss, knowing that every step might very well be your last step. Risking it all.

I feel you user. I played runescape about 10 years ago, it was really a great experience back then.

youtube.com/watch?v=MWNBhHf5reI

diablo 2 and wolfenstein enemy territory

LEGO MOTHERFUCKING ISLAND

>memphis math

bruh

Yep I can almost remember what it was like to sit, in front of the desk, and the smell of the room, listening to a $3000 beast of a business computer, 3 button mouse with no scroll wheel, and a 13 inch full color monitor, with a 33/66mhz turbo button and windows 3.1 and a ~300 something megabyte hard drive, I was probably 4 or 5 or something. I didn't know how to get to windows, so my dad taught me how to from the dos prompt. There were writing utensils and erasers inside the desk drawer, can almost smell that strange rubber. He was and still is a mechanical draftsman.

Those and this

>Loot sorting simulation.
>No shops anywhere in the game.

I know right. Really makes me nostalgia...

the programs I made.
r8
#include

int main(){
printf("hello!");
system(".//a.out");
return 0;
}

Loderunner on a 5.25 floppy in an 80286 clone with amber monitor

remember this one?
youtube.com/watch?v=Gfb4qKGjQcs

great music

Was that the game with the little skateboarding pizza delivery lego guy? I had some version of that for gameboy that was really fun.

Paperboy? The classic arcade+ game of delivering papers?

AGE OF EMPIRES YOU FUCKING YOUNGLINGS

youtu.be/Cmq-ZWGlvko?t=973

cave story, still my favorite game of all time

Civilization: colonization (still play it on occasion)

Sim farm (haven't had a chance to play it since that era)

Basically alternating between these two and browsing the internet of the late 90's kept me going until the abandonware era of 99-2003 where I burned through more floppydisks than you could possibly imagine by migrating games from the pc which had internet to the older one which I could freely install whatever onto.

Was pretty chill desu, definitely formative but possibly ingrained a disdain for formal education.

I could see what the possibility of information sharing might do to spread the wealth of human knowledge/experience and rebelled against what I perceived to be an archaic form of education. Basically what I theorized would be possible is implemented but hasn't had the impact I thought it might and I blame the advent of social media for permanently lowering the bar of internet users and what they spend their time doing (preening not acquiring knowledge)

Now the memes are all we have >_

I preferred sim ant to sim farm but that was some buggy (not even punning) shit there.

Hey everyone it's this fucking shit again!

>the internet was great until I grew up and had to start judging it for what it was, can't seem to figure out why

It's fine though have fun cycling through the same 5 year segments of "no this particular year was the end because it was when *I* grew up but I won't mention that" actually it is not fine please stop making these shit threads that go nowhere at a million miles an hour

calm down buddy. you ok?

youtube.com/watch?v=JJ9CS0KUZvY

The internet definitively went to shit on 2007, on the release of the iPhone and the explosion of the mobile browser market.

The Treehouse (1991)
Treasure Cove (1992)
Treasure MathStorm (1992)

I'm so old.

Linkway

Was the treehouse the one with the monkey.. girl... thing? I got a lot of the games I had as a kid bootleg so not sure exactly what some of them were.

I don't remember anything about it other than my Mom getting really mad about me playing one of the mini-games over and over instead of trying others.

Then again, she got mad at me about everything growing up. That's why we talk twice a year at most.

Oh fuck me. This was based AF and so were the other derivative games

there was a little custom music player that in retrospect was incredibly annoying.

>he didn't buy The Dig when it was first released in 1995

The Internet went to shit in 1993, the year they let AOL on Usenet.

brood war

which I still play actively to this day

I blame facebook casuals for shitting it up

nah, facebook casuals were late comers. myspacers were shitting things up long before FB existed.

This happened in 94:
wired.com/1994/05/alt-tasteless/

Myst & Riven

I was a stupid kid and never made the slightest bit of progress in either one until much later, but goddamn if it wasn't exciting just to take in those worlds. Traveling from the first island to the second via the minecart in Riven was the coolest shit I had ever seen for quite a while.

Having IRC friends and forums full of interesting new people to talk to

the internet is no longer a frontier technology

Nice read, thanks M8! Made me draw parallels to Sup Forums and reddit default :3

Those fucking random chatrooms people would use before MSN. Choice nostalgia senpai!

If you are gonna try looking like an oldfag at least do it well imbecile.

>if Sup Forums could travel back in time to fuck with alt.tasteless...

It was NOT 1994.
It was 1993.
The famous "Eternal September" or "The September that Never Ended".

Here are some sources besides the anti-adblocking dumbshits at wired.

Good old wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

The Jargon File
catb.org/jargon/html/S/September-that-never-ended.html

Here's another source on page 1 of a google search
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/its-september-forever

And even urban dictionary has it right
urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=September That Never Ended

1993, kids.

Fucking Encarta

The 3D simulations were true time wasting fun

also this. so much this.

Liero, Doom, Quake and Warcraft

Lego/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figurines

Wolfenstein
Duke Nukem
Quake I, II
Hexen
Warcraft II
Duke Nukem
Lost Vikings
Age of Empires
Theme Park/Theme Hospital
Rollercoaster Tycoon II
Carmen San Diego
Game Boy/PS
Windows 95/98

Is that the spaceship flying thing? What was is called again?

I had demos with Biomenace and Commander Keen. Even before, I had a shitty 2D volleyball game. That takes me back.

only game I was allowed to play

The 3rd Dimension
Encarta '97
Big Red Racing
Design It! 3-D

This isn't even a question.

>he had a childhood
I only remember playing games (when my brother didn't) on an MX440/Athlon 2000+/256MB RAM/40GB HDD + Belinea CRT setup and getting beat up by my brother occassionally
but I'm thankful everyday since he beat the autism out of me

AOL chat had shitposting and banter at levels that would make the anons here blush.

fucking hated the earlier larry games with the questions to prove your age
there were a lot of sports questions only americans would know, we don't do baseball here

thanks AOL for all the free disks

windows movie maker
AoE Rise of Rome
Quake 3 Arena
JazzJJ2
Crash Bandicoot
Cheat Engine :^)

fuck me that was enjoyable to read.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 was a big part of my childhood.
Starcraft
The Sims

who else used this

i'm not in murrica, but i did pick up similar floppies from trade shows to use for my purposes

i did