Long story short: I want to be competitive in my field, so I'm going to learn at least one programming language...

Long story short: I want to be competitive in my field, so I'm going to learn at least one programming language, and it'll be HTML5/CSS. What's the best way to learn? Codeacademy? Books? Classes?

I already checked out some books from the local library today, and it seems easy enough to learn. I just want to know if there's a more efficient way. I live in the Silicon Valley, so I have access to anything I could want; there is no limit.

I'm about to transfer into Berkeley with an English AA, and in order to stand out when I graduate, I need to show that I have technical skills as well. My end goal is to be a technical writer in medicine, or somewhere in the hyper-competitive tech industry, should it have room for me.

Any help would be nice.

Other urls found in this thread:

gohugo.io/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Install Gentoo

>want to learn HTML5/CSS
>got a book from the library

lol what the fuck is wrong with English majors? just fucking google 'how to learn HTML5/CSS'

>programming language
>HTML5/CSS

what did he mean by this

>I live in the Silicon Valley, so I have access to anything I could want; there is no limit.

>the Silicon Valley
>I have access to anything I could want;
>there is no limit.

>English Major

???

Nobody uses HTML5 anymore. We use something more advanced called XML, which is even better. It's fairly new though, so I hope your library has some reference material on it

OP is rather confused. He thinks html is a programming language.

Op learn Python. Forget about web developement right now, you can do that later but knowing how to write simple scripts is a much better place to start. Web development is full of traps and huge time sinks and is constantly changing and complex. It's something better to learn after you are already a proficient programmer.

OP you're going to get a lot of people telling you that HTML isn't a programming language, but it's just one of the memes (read: in jokes) that this forum likes to spout.

In reality, HTML5 is one of the harder languages to learn. You might want to start with something lower level, older, and easier, like C.

Also absolutely do not use Codeacademy. Go the library and take out a few texts, and write up the first draft of your coding projects in pencil, then pen, then Microsoft Word, same as English. It's better to learn this way, the right way, from the start.

Hypertext Markup Language, if you learnt programming languages and compilers, you'd know that HTML is a context free language.

You guys must understand my conundrum by now. I'm in way over my head. Thanks anyway.

I did an internship with a local newspaper, and the editor that I shadowed highly recommended that I learn HTML/CSS should I find myself in the situation where a potential employer would want something like that in an employee. Being in the location I'm in, it's very much a reality, even with the degree that I have.

I would really like to take your advice and learn Python first, since a friend of mine actually said the same thing, but I'm still stuck.

Yeah, I'm more of a paper-and-pencil kind of guy. I like your advice.

if these degenerate weeb faggots can learn to program, you can too!

The thing about "what should I learn" in the context of programming requires a response "What do you want to build?" Why are you learning programming? What do you want to do?

Are you doing it for fun? Do you want to edit wordpress templates? Do you want to be a software engineer building web applications?

If you better answer these questions, we'll be able to help you more.

OP, html is not a programming language, and neither is css. They look superficially similar to one, but both languages are not used for programming. There are useful skills to be learned in studying them, but programming isn't one of them. HTML and CSS are used for making web pages, which is a useful and valuable skill; but while it appears to be strongly related to programming, it's a very different activity, and the relation is superficial only.

>the editor that I shadowed highly recommended that I learn HTML/CSS should I find myself in the situation where a potential employer would want something like that in an employee
I don't disagree, but the potential employers that want that skill are generally publishers. That is a fine ambition to be working towards. But don't confuse it with programming.

>I would really like to take your advice and learn Python first, since a friend of mine actually said the same thing, but I'm still stuck.
If you have a friend with programming experience, ask whether they can help you, and then study whatever they recommend. Anything you can get easy face-to-face help with is better than anything you can't, no matter how good or bad the language / programming system / whatever. (Python is in fact excellent, mind you; but I would still recommend this if your friend knew something horrible instead.)

HTML is a declarative programming language.

>I'm going to learn at least one programming language, and it'll be HTML5

You don't even have the most basic level of knowledge to even BEGIN learning on your own, much less learning to be competitive.

I believe that I have pissed off a bunch of you guys by confusing the TERMS "markup language" and "programming language." Terminologically-speaking, I honestly just thought that a "programming language" was a catch-all term. I know what the difference is between HTML, CSS, and whatever else esoteric shit there is. I'm sorry for getting my words mixed up.

That being said, I just want to make a fucking barebones website where I apply all the basics of HTML; I want to prove that I can submit my own news articles if need be. That's probably not even how that fucking works, but I'll figure it out eventually.

Fucking zoology majors are taking CS courses, and people are up in arms about an English major having the audacity to try as well.

I was the poster who memed you about writing everything down in pencil. That shit's retarded, don't do that.

If you want to get started by making a few simple websites, don't worry about HTML or CSS because they're dead ends, progams generate that.

Play around with Go and if you want to jump into web and see results right away, give this a spin gohugo.io/

I'm not pissed off, user :) just trying to correct a possible misunderstanding.

>That being said, I just want to make a fucking barebones website
Sounds like HTML5 is indeed right where you should be. Godspeed.

Just learn how to set up wordpress or whatever technology most news outlets use for their web presence.

Then you can learn some basic styling stuff. That's really all you'll need.

Please be bait

In the case it's not bait don't listen to anyone besides . Sup Forums is the wrong place to ask for actual help, I unironically suggest you ask at /r/learnprogramming instead.

This is sound advice. Web dev moves at a rapid pace. If you want to be a programmer spend the time learning a language like python and see if you enjoy it.

Just get a course on udemy

>HTML, CSS, and whatever else esoteric shit
I hope you aren't suggesting that anything discussed thusfar is esoteric

>HTML isn't a programming language
>its a meme

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML

>Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) is the standard markup language for creating web pages and web applications.

>markup language
>markup

kek

Any publication outlet will have a publishing interface or, at least, an editor team whose job it is to get your pieces online. I have never heard of a place that could afford to pay authors yet had them write html pages

user, have you looked at Coding Rainbow by Daniel Schiffman? His courses are oriented more towards the design/layout facet of "web design". They're not really introductory, but they show you how ideas are applied. See the WDG thread recommend list. Watch some of those videos to see if you are even slightly interested in this field.

I had trouble learning the diffference between user interface / back end / front end / marketing / database etc parts of the interwebs but I finally understand after dozens of vidyas and lots of reading.