So why is RAM so expensive now? How can we get it's price back down?

So why is RAM so expensive now? How can we get it's price back down?

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/231768/pc-dram-pricing-increased-20-sep-oct-2016-will-continue-rising-in-2017-trendforce
ec.europa.eu/competition/antitrust/overview_en.html
europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-661_en.htm
europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-501_en.htm
europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-2582_en.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the same reason it and hard drive costs constantly fluctuate you god damned child
Flooding in the places this shit is manufacturing happens constantly and the laws of supply and demand apply

You mean like the sudden price jump in late November marks a flood?

>"we need higher profits"
>"tell them the manufacturing site are flooded"
>"they're not retarded, they'll never believe that"
>"oh really?"

Literal price fixing.

Seriously, the big memory manufacturers openly said they're colluding on prices, for 'mutual benefit'.

Well they should pay a hefty royalty to the European Union then. Collusion is illegal

Seriously, I bought 16GBs of 2133 DDR3 ram for 85 dollars two years ago when the dollar was weaker and now it's 100 dollars for the slowest set of 16GB of ddr4 despite a strong rally of the dollar. WTF.

Do it, present the information. Ill import from the EU if i have to.

Afaik it was the company doing the research that said they found reasons to believe there is price fixing (which isn't hard to believe honestly)

And I'm the one that originally posted the article here.

This is AMD's fault

The price was too low in the past.

Could you re-link it?

Here you go

techpowerup.com/231768/pc-dram-pricing-increased-20-sep-oct-2016-will-continue-rising-in-2017-trendforce

RAM was cheaper 4 years ago as well. Could get 8GB for 40-50 dollars 4 years ago before the hynix fire. Back then, 8GB was probably all you'd need for regular desktop use and video games.

The prices are fucked.

Still rocking the 2x4 GB 1333 MHz kit I bought in 2010. I used these moduls in 3 different laptops.

Cont.

Oh and I bought them for around 40 bucks (less actually)

DDR4 demand is rising
People are beginning to adopt 16gb as standard

The first "crisis" happened when there was this flooding in some country in Asia that affected RAM prices, some user can sauce this

And Samsung reduced their memory output for the very first time ever last year Q1, it's an artificial shortage. Demand is always sky rocketing but the supply is artificially kept low to maintain prices and margins because the profitability of the sector isn't currently scalabale given the slowing trend due to Moore's law and the growing demand for cloud-based enterprise solutions, internet of things and VR memes which is actually the research arm for self-driving and a generally automated and trackable world.

Holy shit, why do you Europeans have such high prices

VAT and EUR:USD 1:1 exchange rate

It's the Jews
Wait until amd release
Then we saved
Q2 2017
Everything get better

The flash memory used in Video RAM, RAM, and SSD are in strong request.
All the Laptop companys want or need to bring laptop on the market that use only SSD's.
The cheap price of the SSD in 2016, 2015 resulted that the SSD where affordable and every idiot was buying this, using HDD was OUT and people looked for PC's and Laptops's with Flash Memory.

Flash Memory will only drop in prices when the next evolution of Memory is brought to the marked

Collusion between RAM manufacturers.

You guys are easily paying up to 35% and then even higher taxes than us on some products.

That must suck

Thanks user. I spread that article along with more articles relating to price increase across all consumer PC market

INVISIBLE HAND OF FREE MARKET

You guys haven't seen anything. In 1999 or 2000 the price of 128MB sticks went from about $125 to $400 over night. I worked retail and saw the price change, i bought the 2 sticks we had for $125 and then returned them the next day at another retailer for epic in store credit.

>FREE MARKET
it's not a free market

that's the point

it's a cartel

late to the party

Btw sales ads are printed about a month in advance so for the next month I had to listen to people bitch about us not having $400 ram for $100 in stock. They pulled any remaining stock out of the stores.

HDD price doubled overnight in ~2011 after the Thai factory floods.

>the three top memory makers opted for co-existence as the best way to maximize their own profitability." They are, therefore, "turning away from aggressively competing for market share through price reduction and capacity expansion.

THE FUCK!
Shitstorm the EU now!!!
ec.europa.eu/competition/antitrust/overview_en.html

You don't because jews

This is why monopolies and oligopolies are bad.

Oh, and what are you going to do? Sue Samsung? Good luck!

People living in EU should totally do this. You can get Samesung fined for hundreds of millions of dollars.

EU's court will investigate and slap a nice fine to them for open collusion

How is giving Samsung a fine going to help break the oligopoly? Intel was fined, but things did not get better... because it is still an oligopoly.

Well, then fine should be bigger to take away illegal profits they made.

You can still piss on their ankles. Better than not pissing on their ankles.

>Patient is bleeding!
>Put a cloth on the wound to soak the blood.
>The bleeding is profuse! How is a cloth going to help?!?!?
>Ok... put... a bigger cloth.

Flawed analogy, what is supposed to symbolize Samsung in that situation?

I would not worry to much, the EU is prob already investigating the case. Problem is a lot of those Antitrust Institutions are corrupt themselves. Either way if the EU does decide to launch an investigation they can face fines up to 1 billion which is nothing to laugh at.

For example: europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-661_en.htm

776 million (EURO) fine -> 850 million dollars

I would be scared shitless as a company desu.

europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-501_en.htm 175 million dollars

europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-2582_en.htm 3.3 billion dollar fine

You have no idea just how corrupt the institutions of EU are.

I guess the best example is that EU's institutions, or lets just say that EU, is its own jury, judge and executioner when it is investigating crime related to EU institutions.

It's absurd.

True, but at least it pretends to punish misbehaving private companies unlike the US

Yea a lot of these are corrupt but sometimes cases do get started up as you can see above.

"we" can't.
there's no viable way to boycott when every supplier is in it, apart from turning into a luddite.

What fucking bullshit is that? I just bough 8GB ram for 20€

and never recovered, mechanical drives still are kinda expensive too.

>fines

hypothetically they're are fined for 1bi in the US, 1b in yuro, etc, while their net profit raised 9bi. It's the same shit banks do when they find money laundering and other nasty things, they shut up, settle, pay up quickly and count the profits for the awesome quarter they had anyway.

>You guys are easily paying up to 35% and then even higher taxes than us on some products.
>
>That must suck

You guys actually pay more in the long run. You pay less on products, but more on health care, more on education, all while producing inferior results in those deparments