Someone convince me not to buy the Yoga 460 at 40% off

Someone convince me not to buy the Yoga 460 at 40% off.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/x8h70okCQw8?t=5m7s
m.youtube.com/watch?v=20bcBjXAXUw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>glossy display
>flex in keyboard
>overall bad build quality
>windork 10
>touch on a machine that shouldn't "feature" touch

Bad build quality.

>i dont like touch screen so very presence of them is a negative

>Lenovo

It's not like I don't like them. I use a tablet every day. They just don't belong on a laptop. It's a piece of unnecessary tech that makes the machine thicker and kills battery life. Also, it's glossy. It's a productivity killer even if you decide not to use it.

>touch on a machine that shouldn't "feature" touch
That's literally the fucking point of a Yoga???

Is it bad build quality as in "doesn't match up to Thinkpad glory days" or bad build quality as in "subpar compared to other laptops in same price range"?

That's why the Yoga itself is a mistake. I guess that was user's point.

The latter. It's really bad. It cracks when you rest your palms on it, the keyboard gives in several mm, the hinges get loose after a year of extensive use.

factory rootkit

A touchscreen with a decent stylus is a productivity booster depending on your use case. For note taking it's a godsend.

Surface Pro 5 will be announced next month and will undoubtedly be a better machine (I mean, the Pro 4 is already a better choice)。

Point of this post is the price

I'm really not a fan of the Surface Pro, the kickstand's angle is kind of shit and the typecover really doesn't feel nice to use. Hard to justify paying almost twice as much.

This one seems like a much better compromise between tablet and laptop, and it's so much cheaper.

We bought 45 for work.

9 were dead right out of the box (either SSD detect failed or bad DIMMS) and had to be DOA'd

7, we can't SOE, because for some reason they will not recognise the drivers that the other 38 seem happy to accept. Identical BIOS revisions, imaging process etc, just won't have a bar of it. The case has been open with their pajeet retard support monkeys for two weeks. Lenovo is fucking cancer at any price, and we are going back to HP for future purchases.

TL;DR, Don't.

>kickstand angle sucks

It is fully adjustable, like 160 degrees now.

>keyboard sucks

Up until the Pro 4, this was true. The Pro 4 has an solidtouchpad and pretty decent keyboard. Not nearly as bad as the old Pro2/3 Type and Power covers.

Some versions even have a finger print reader.

Pro 4 is also seeing some nice discounts with the 5 on the horizon.

>flex in keyboard
Can someone please explain why this is so bad?
I never look at my keyboard while typing, and there is no way you'll feel the flex while typing.

You feel it. Also it's a sign of poor structural integrity. In some cases the keyboard even remains bent, for example when it's subjected to direct sunlight.

It speaks to build quality.

>undoubtedly be a better machine

You can't even open it to access the hard drive.

I never really understood these things.

So when you flip it around like that your putting your keyboard directly on to whatever surface? Seems like a shit idea.

Doesn't it speak to the fact that it's a convertible keyboard?

>kickstand so it's a pain in the ass to use it on the lap
>worst keyboard on the market except maybe macbook and it's even worse on the newer models
>flimsy keyboard lid
>glossy screen in 2017 (why is every touch screen glossy btw, it's not a requirement)
>made by microsoft
>windows 10
>virtually no maintenance possible
>poor port selection

>Look up Surface Pro Typecovers
>They cost fucking 250 dollars
I mean I'm an Ausfag so the prices are inflated but what the fuck? The device isn't even properly usable without one, that's absurd.

No. There is a bezel that lifts up over the keycaps when it's in tablet mode, the key deck itself never actually moves and is permanently fixed to the chassis. Movement of the bezel? fine, it's designed to be a moving part. Movement of the fixed keydeck? not so much.

no, flex happens on regular laptops too if they're shit

no, when you turn the screen more than 180 degrees the keyboard reclines into the laptop to avoid keys being pressed by the surface you set it on

OP here.

Is the build quality any worse than any other modern Lenovo Thinkpad?

I mean, I had a shitty Thinkpad Edge for years and it never really bothered me, had a little flex but it didn't seem like it was likely to break. I'm only gonna be using this thing for student shit, so it's not like I need a rugged workhorse or anything.

Yeah but you're still rubbing that part of them machine onto whatever surface it's placed on.

The bottom of laptops have little rubber feet that prevent it from getting scratched to shit.

>keyboard reclines
Wrong. The bezel lifts.

youtu.be/x8h70okCQw8?t=5m7s

There's little rubber feet around the keyboard, too. Don't give it quite as much lift as the bottom of a laptop would but it's enough to protect the keys when combined with the transforming bezel.

See , there are rubber pads on each corner of the upper surface to prevent that, they operate as feet in tablet mode.

And before someone calls me a shill babysitting the thread, I'm . I would rather not be this familiar with them, but such is life.

on the newer models the keyboard reclines

It has all the problems you'd expect of modern Thinkpads.

If those don't bother you go nuts.

If you say so, the ones we bought in February operate as depicted in

>modern Thinkpads
modern Thinkpads are now officially 70 series models and these are just beyond great. except the X1C and Yoga of course. these still suck.

looks like they only changed it for this year's models. Yoga 470 etc

Why do Sup Forums opinions of laptops never remotely match review impressions?

Makes sense, but an odd design change. Why subject the ribbon from the key deck to the mainboard to unnecessary mechanical stress?

> because LOLNOvo

Because reviewers don't use them in the real world for more than 3 days.

>Because reviewers don't use them in the real world for more than 3 days.
Most use them for a couple of weeks.

Buy the dell inspiron 13 7000 instead and get an I7 and 16gb ram

>Lenovo is fucking cancer at any price, and we are going back to HP for future purchases.
>HP
You can't make this shit up

Do they try to bulk image them?
Do they hand them out to retarded users?
Do they use a full suite of corporate apps on them?
Do they use them in day to day office environments?

Can it use a pen

This is true. Sup Forums is full of people who buy one machine and then use it for months or years. You don't get to know a computer if you only use it for a few days. Even if you use a laptop for weeks you might not find any of its weaknesses. A lot of reviewers also get paid by manufacturers or they get their test models for free so they don't want to piss them off of course.

Ahh yes, the old "I'll choose to judge all HP's on their shitbox pavilion range" meme.

We ran 8460's and now run 9480's. Both are bulletproof, though the lids on the 94's are a little too flimsy for my liking. We have retard users who pick them up by their lids and often crack them. Nowhere near as bad as the specte series though, they were fucking terrible.

Spend some fucking money and buy a corporate machine you, you'll never look back. Even second hand 2740/8460's are still amazing machines for the price you get them for.

The benefits of a corporate machine don't have much appeal to me when I can't use my laptop in the office anyway. I mean, the durability would be nice but I'm not a clumsy idiot so I doubt I'm going to be doing anything too stupid with any laptop I buy.

My old shitty Lenovo Thinkpad lasted in pristine condition for years until a tree fell on it.

What's a good convertible with pen support?

It's not about office usability, it's about durability, build quality, parts availability and cost of said parts, end of life resale cost (usually pretty cheap because fuckloads hit the second hand market as leases expire and new product ranges replace the old) and bang for buck. OEM's want their shit in offices, so they make their machines as feature rich as possible. Dell 6 series Latitudes, HP EliteBooks and early Lenovo Thinkpads can't be beat here.

> My old shitty Lenovo Thinkpad lasted in pristine condition for years until a tree fell on it.
That's unfortunate.

>convertible
>pen support
>good

So it doesn't bother you when you pick the laptop up and the lid gives in and you hear cracking noises?

Well, is that cracking indicative of actual harm being caused to the device?

no but it makes the laptop feel like it isn't worth half the price you paid for it

The bigger question is what kind of fuckwad picks their laptop up by it's lid?

I don't really care how it feels, I care if it has the functionality I want.

And really in this case it's the Yoga 460, X1 Yoga, or the Surface Book.

Might as well get the (substantially) cheapest option.

That's not what I meant. The laptop is closed and you pick it up, and you feel the lid gives in

user having the ability to type on a physical keyboard and switch to pen is fucking great for notes I don't know what you're smoking.

Muh thin meme is not a valid complaint

Ahh, right. And yeah, that's balls.

>thinkpads being this flexible
why? it's not like Sup Forumsentoomen need to have sex with their computers

For memory recall handwriting is much, much better.

Get a Yoga 910

For the record, I deleted that post because I misread . Meanwhile, when I was at uni, I wasn't interested in remembering what I was typing at the time, I was interested in capturing all the shit my lecturer was going on about before he moved on. I would later review my notes. Personal preference I guess, but you can't make a blanket statement that pen touch ability is a killer feature and expect it to apply to all use cases.

It's more expensive at the moment than the 460. I'd prefer it for the weight, but paying more for less seems like a bad move.

Every Uni these days records lectures anyway, word for word replication is useless.

Don't buy it, user. Let someone who's going to use it for something productive buy it instead.
Shitposting with a touchscreen is shit anyways.

I'm gonna use it to take notes and write assignments for my [spoiler]Social Sciences degree.[/spoiler]

Really? So why bother going to lectures at all? May as well just set up an audiobook subscription.

Some lectures these days have interactive components but it's mostly about building a relationship with your professors, which matters immensely in some fields.

that's the thinkpad version or just yoga? there's thinkpad yoga u know, for 40% off is a good deal.

I wonder how Sup Forums would react to modern Lenovo laptops if you stripped away all the nostalgia for old Thinkpads?

exactly the same. nostalgia has not a fucking thing to do with objectively bad build quality.

Objectively they have gotten better with every generation since the 40 series. The new 70 is better than anything IBM has produced.

I literally just bought the 260 a few days ago for work and I'm waiting on it to come in.

Is it as bad as the 460 supposedly is? I'm gonna baby the thing, but I don't want it falling apart on me. I do shit that requires signatures from clients so a pen convertible is a must. Seemed like a pretty solid deal at $729.

As I said, let someone who's gonna make good use of it have it instead.

As somebody who had a Thinkpad yoga 14, this. Don't buy it is a piece of shit

>Worse than any other modern Lenovo ThinkPad
Yes

I went from a ThinkPad yoga to an x1 Carbon and holy shit, the yoga feels like a consumer HP from 2007 in comparison

It's Windows, mate!

40% off means there's something very wrong about that shit.

Is the screen a wacom digitiser?

> Is it bad build quality as in "doesn't match up to Thinkpad glory days"
Even Thinkpads today "don't match up to Thinkpad glory days", user.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=20bcBjXAXUw