Programming an emulator

Seeing how a pair of guys are making 300k a year for programming a piece of software like Cemu. It makes me wonder, how difficult is to program an emulator? Why there's so few people that seem to be into it? I mean there are only 2 people working on Cemu right now. Is it because is too hard or what?

I speak from pure ignorance about programming.

It is kinda hard to steal a SDK

At one of the big 4 in tech you could have a much easier job than hardware emulation and earn more than 150k.

The truth is not that many people have the low level systems knowledge to make these, and because "full stack" work is sexier somehow less people bother going this deep year after year. There are less jobs in this space than other parts of programming but you will be carving a niche that is needed in the future because we will always need people who connect hardware to userspace no matter how many layers of abstraction we throw on top of it.

The guys who made Dolphin didn't steal anything, and still, the dev team was pretty small at first.

They are working hard and delivering a product. Unlike other emulation projects that seem not to get anywhere.

It's not about being hard or easy.
Plus everyone knows that when BotW gets good enough, most of the patreons will drop because that all they want from this project.

Yeah but OP is talking about cemu, which has 1 or 2 developers

For emulator people, it's not about the money, but rather, the thrill of emulation. They are a different kind of people.

You can make more than that shitting out Java CRUD apps at Google and Facebook right out of college.

>It's not about being hard or easy.
Then why there aren't other anons/pajeets or anyone making their own cemu equivalent?
Or it's like the other user said, very few people know about low level coding?

>tfw used to be a very famous emu programmer in 2000s
>now only a former shadow of myself
It's amazing how much getting married fucks you.

Was your emulator decent at least?

Same with RPCS3. Since it went on Patreon, two developers have been making enormous progress. You can literally play PS3 games on your PC through emulation right now.

One dev does the vast majority of work on RPCS3. He also lives in Russia, so can live comfortably on $1200 a month. He recently quit his job to work on the emulator full time when the Patreon passed $1k a month.

Yeah they were the most accurate emulators for the systems they emulated for many years although a bit slow since I used C and other competing emus used assembly. I guess others have probably surpassed it in accuracy with new findings by now.

What system is this? Snes? DS? Dreamcast?

It requires a vast amount of knowledge most don't have. Stuff you can't learn in college, but have to learn on your own by tinkering and lots of research.

Not a lot of people reach this level of not only making an emulator but making it fast enough to run in modern hardware.

>Seeing how a pair of guys are making 300k this year
ftfy. this shit isn't a career.

Probably the hardest shit after OS and compilers.

>making a compiler with tons of documentation available and where the speed have no importance is harder than a emulator with very little documentation

just DO IT

dolphin took like 6 years to become respectable.

How are they making money from this?
Why doesn't Nintendo c&d them?

Because emulation isn't illegal, retard. Look up Sony's efforts to sue Bleem before you were even born.

Woah there user you almost cut me with that edge. I emulate as well I'm just genuinely curious on how they are making money from this

I made nesticle for zophar
No respect

Trips dont lie

it was from some kickstarter or patreon or whatever digital hobos use nowadays

Considering that a JIT compiler is an important part of emulators of more powerful systems, I'd say that making am emulator is harder than making a normal compiler.