Intel is totally anal about Ryzen

Intel is totally anal about Ryzen.

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/10500/stock-cooler-roundup-intel-amd-vs-evo-212/3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'd be anal about it if I was Intel as well.

>The internal voltage regulation (dLDO)

>Zeppelin is the first design in which AMD has extensively utilized integrated voltage regulators. Unlike the fully integrated voltage regulator (FIVR) used in Haswell and Broadwell CPUs, AMD's regulator implementation isn't based on ultra-high speed switching circuitry. >The integrated voltage regulators in Zeppelin are ultra-high efficiency digital low-dropout (dLDO) type of regulators. Most of the different domains (cores, caches, data fabric, etc.) have their own dLDOs and they can all be controlled individually.

>Despite the presence of the dLDOs, the consumers can ignore them completely. This is because in the consumer parts most of the dLDOs (all except some of the minor domains) are permanently placed in a by-pass mode. This means that actual regulators are disabled and all of the voltage regulation takes place on the motherboard, just like on the previous generation CPUs and APUs.

Yeah one of the funniest things about Ryzen is it actually is a SoC. No chipsets, north or southbridge, are needed. It has its own SATA and USB controllers, and apparently might be actually capable of bootstrapping itself.

This is the reason why the motherboards are so clean, too bad that doesn't translate to even cheaper motherboards when it fucking could.

Damn mobo jews

>ultra-high efficiency
>LDO
That happens when you hire pajeets instead of an actual engineers.

What does that make Intel's engineers?

Without the need for a chipset in the traditional sense ryzen motherboards could scale way, waaaay down in size at the expense of any connectors beyond what the cpu supports.

Nah it doesn't NEED a chipset, but they have an optional one anyways. That's what X370, B350, and A320 are. X300 and A300 have no chipset at all, and are intended for ITX.

Obviously, if someone pushed you could probably get real close to nano-ITX with these things, but most we'll see is mITX for SFF stuff.

Thing is smaller mobos need higher quality components, denser traces space more PCB layers, so it's gonna take time.

I think even for Skylake there weren't day 1 mITX boards out.

From what I hear those boards have a dummy IC instead of the chipset so some stuff doesn't break.

Thinking upon that it makes raven ridge potentially very interesting on the SFF front. In fact the hardest part would probably providing enough cooling for the thing in the form factor.

Not "dummy", it is an actual chip that does some legacy stuff like superIO and the like, maybe TPM and other things. It has no "big" I/O like USB, PCIe and SATA, though

There are impressive low height coolers out there, even the stock wraith spire isn't all that big.

Though this form factor looks like a job for the stealth

I kind of wish the wraith spire fan was 120mm as I would've bolted it to my case as an exhaust fan because it does look pretty slick.

DELID THIS

Do we know which vendor's fan is it? Scythe? Nanoxia? Noctua? Thermalight? I haven't seen anything.

Anybody knows what current is the fan on Wraith Spire rated for? (It's usually printed on the sticker on the bearing cover).

Some stock coolers take as much as 0.6 or even 0.7 A in load, which means 7-9 W of power, which is kinda silly for a small frugal PC.

I don't think I've seen anyone mention current, but it's rated for 125W IIRC

Sorry, I mean rating of the fan itself, which means its power consumption, not the coolign performance.

Probably not more than 0.3A. Most likely 0.2 to 0.25A

Intel stock ones are 0.5 (some) and 0.6 A actually. My old FX-8150 stock heatpipe cooler was even 0.7 A.

TFW These fans actually have such a big power draw that it meaningfully worsens power conusmption if they sent them to reviews.

Only if you test at the wall.

>Intel stock ones are 0.5 (some) and 0.6 A actually
what? my 2500K cooler was 0.25A, about the same with G2130. Even my old E2160 was 0.35A

Are there any kinetic energy coolers out yet?

Exactly one and its thoroughly meh. No I don't remember its name.

Is it better than current massive heatsinks without a fan? If so I think it's something

I wisah I could remember who reviewed it but the tl;dr was no better than el cheapo small heatsinks and fan (like the noctua U12 or whatever it is).

shitsux.

It really depends, some are okay, some are high-draw: anandtech.com/show/10500/stock-cooler-roundup-intel-amd-vs-evo-212/3

>Nehalem cooler was even 0.80 A

Thermaltake Engine 27. It is probably shit.

No because it cuts air like a bitch at high RPM and sounds like a screeching banshee

another intel BTFO

>double the cores
>almost as efficient as an idling 7700K

INTEL

IS

DEAD
E
AND
D

BANKRUPT

Intel is suffering because Moore's law is running out of steam.

This is not a cause for celebration.

but are you getting the same computing performance as Intel. better efficiency is great and all, but i can easily deal with more heat output.

DELET THIS YOU STUPID GOY!!!

those things were yet another example of an idea that seems great at a very superficial level but that fails completely when you take into account any amount of reality.

> super thin air gap
> super fast spinning parts
> surely nothing will ever cause problems here, even when there is dust in the air, we use low-friction bearings and have turbulent cross-case airflow, etc.

the final product couldn't even take advantage of the nominal effect to any appreciable extent and really acted like a poorly designed squirrel cage centrifugal blower.

what a fucking mess.

did you kids know that the guy who runs AMD and the guy who runs intel are actually best buds?

they do this "competitive" song and dance every few years to keep people from crying about a monopoly

>the guy who runs AMD
1/10 made me reply I guess.

why would anyone choose a company with a name as shady and botnet-related as "intel" over AMERICAN micro devices?

Why did I read dLDO as Dildo?

Fuck, Raven Ridge will be REALLY fucking attractive to mobile/laptop makers. Low power + Radeon integrated graphics.

Zen has the potential for extreme low profile and low power SOC applications ESPECIALLY when you integrate Vega into it as an APU with HBM.

single CCX zen merged into a 2048 shader vega on a single die for the AM4 socket with all unnecessary bullshit removed and only the basic on chip support you can have an extremely small mobo with low power delivery and some low profile cooling and cram that shit into a 12"x12"x12" cube. Thats a 1080/1440p ultra settings console right there. If you can mash an 8core zen and 4000 shader vega into a socket thats a 4K console.

you could match a 1060/1070 gaming laptop with less thickness too.

Second gen zen will be mind blowing as well

I hope some good quality laptops come with that. Good build quality, good screen, no numpad, decent battery, still enough horsepower to play something every once in a while.

Seeing how Ryzen performs with encryption, I'd love to see zen-based boards similar to this one by PC Engines. I'm more excited about the possibility of this than having a cheaper 8 core desktop computer.

>"AMD is shit, you could keep an entire african village running on the energy it takes to run one AMD CPU"
>skip to Zen and Kaby Lake
>"Well i mean the 7700k isnt THAT power hungry, just buy a 150 dollar cooler and you can easily prevent a housefire"

Shilltel btfo

>tfw your computer fits into the 100x100mm VESA footprint

totally doable. Worse case the 2000-shader vega runs around 1060-1070 levels which match perfectly the current "enthusiast" laptops in the 1500-1800$ price range and due to several design advantages AMD can cust costs drastically. Just by switching to freesyn they remove 150+ of the price and then they can slice even more from the intel i7-HQ processor by having a dirt cheap single CCX zen die integrated into the package. By having HBM they bypass GDDR5/x completely which means no regular PCIe port than a seperate PCB with the GPU has to plug into just GPU and HBM on the die and deliver the right power to the socket from the Motherboard and thats it so complexity/cost and extra layers adding thickness are removed.

Intel is eternally BTFO'ed I mean holy fuck that 1700 is god tier. an 8-core, 16 thread chip that matches the Broadwell-Es in performance but only had a TDP of 65watts? Thats insane.

>has its own SATA and USB controllers
As a former Bulldozer user, I don't blame them. Most third party chips on AM3 mobos were either low grade or had shit drivers.

Raven Ridge will be

Intel insideā„¢