How accurate is this, Sup Forums?

How accurate is this, Sup Forums?

If you're not retarded you start with debian and never hop distro.
But the end result is the same

It doesn't apply to me because I'm a computer layman and slacker so I sticked to Ubuntu for good.

Arch is not hard at all and you have to try hard to break it. It does everything I require of it

this
ubuntu, and too lazy/too casual to do anything else
linux only because windows costs money and I needed to do a fresh install

I installed Ubunutu several weeks ago and can't see myself changing in the near future. It's just too good.

It's not.

SuSE
Slackware
Arch
Ubuntu
Gentoo

I settled with Debian long before any of the other distros from OP's pic even existed.

it broke after a standard pacman update and I didn't even have access to my keyboard and couldn't open a tty

ubuntu for years here, tried arch/debian/fedora (for CentOS training), ubuntu justwerks™, just the repos are very old but there are ppa's and aptitude will deal with rpm's just fine

I am now in the Arch phase and I have to say pretty damn accurate

for me, yes, insanely accurate, but between debian and arch I've tried manjaro, SUSE and few others. Haven't been able to try gentoo though, but plan on trying, as well as LFS

current

currently on a minimal xubuntu installation, pretty nice

Not for me. I was on outdated Mint and I switched to gentoo because my laptop wouldn't boot with any new-ish kernel (that means pretty much any live CD and all the kernels in up to date Mint repos). So I had to do the install manually instead of using an installer and I had to hunt down which part of kernel config is responsible and compile it myself. Gentoo simply had the best documentation for what I needed to do and people in irc channel who answered my questions instead of saying "that's not the standard way".

not very
if you want something that "just works" you use windows

when you're doing arch you're trying to gain experience for later work in production environemnts

> it broke after updating with pacman
You must have fucked up big time to do that

>It's just too good.

should end with coming back to windows

>LFS
I found the project too boring to finish. Got about half way through and I was sick of unzipping, making, installing for hours and hours.

Remove the distros themselves and the process is kinda accurate for most users. It boils down to

>I'm a noob and everything is hard, so I'll pick an easy distro.
>I know a lot, so I'll pick a hard distro.
>I want something convenient, so I'll pick an easy distro.

Also, both Mint and Ubuntu are roughly on the same level of newbieness.

Windows is a bit too restrictive after you learned your way with Linux.

its very accurate but because i actually listen to Sup Forums i stopped hard at mint switched to LMDE - linux mint debian edition and will avoid gentoo and arch like the plague.

If i actually want to self harm these days i have small slackware partition.

Praise BOB !

>consistently talking about GNU/Linux
>not even one of the two distros that FSF approved

For a casual user it's pretty great. I'm not to sure what you're on about.
It was the only distro so far that had functioning networking right out of the box on my machine.

I've been in the arch phase for more than 5 years now.

Ubuntu phase probably a month or two
Debian phase probably a day or two.

Arch doesn't cause problems that take more than 10-20 min to figure out after I have downgraded back to a stable state so I don't really have a reason to change.

Honestly I think dpkg is actually more complicated than pacman.

how old is your computer?

Ubuntu -> Debian -> Arch -> Gentoo -> Parabola -> GuixSD -> Parabola
Probably will go back to GuixSD when it's more developed.

Ubuntu -> Mint -> Manjaro

Manjaro is pretty comfy, probably going to endup staying on it for a while. Still have a windows partition for games tho. Ive been looking at GPU pass-trough but seems like too much of a PIA .

It's missing the last phase where you go back to windows because you've grown out of your rebellious teen phase in life.

do you use sid? if so, how do you like it?

I went

Ubuntu > Fedora > Linux Mint > Debian > openSUSE > Manjaro > Antergos > Debian > Linux Mint

If Debian's package maintainers weren't so retarded, I'd gladly be on Debian. I'm kind of tired of Mint's bloat, but at least it works.

This
The only time I fucked up arch was when I forgot mkinitcpio

clearly you're smarter than debian maintainers with 23 years of experience

My doctor misdiagnosed me
>you couldn't have done it better

This movie was shit
>I'd like to see you make a better one

and now you're on a snapshot of sid plus a frog's repo, totally not debian

fsf are a bunch of disrespectful, spiteful cunts though

Arch > Debian > Ubuntu > Fedora > OpenSuSE > back to Fedora > FreeBSD

...And I have been on FreeBSD longer than anything else. But I have an OpenSuSE box, too.

Juggling between Debian and its derivatives depending on which environment I'm in. Never used anything fancier. Also using the default DE on non servers

Tbh manjaro is really nice. For me:
>Mint -> OpenSuse -> Mint -> Elementary -> Mint -> Manjaro - > Mint -> Debian -> Take a guess

Why is Mint so comfy? Actually I just tried Budge Remix Ubuntu and I think I finally found some I like better than Mint.

This is the most elaborate rationalization of the fact you are simply too stupid to use a distro above N00buntu.

Not horribly inaccurate, but people who do actual work customize their computer too.

I am NOT takling about the severe autism in desktop threads however

Wow that is pretty close

I went
Ubuntu
Linux Mint
Arch Linux
Linux Mint
Fedora

sort of thinking about moving to a different distro though.

Debian for personal use
Redhat/Oracle/Centos for work
OpenWRT -> LEDE for net appliance

Ubuntu is a steaming pile of shit that breaks if you try to mess with anything under the hood.
Fedora is alright, but its package manager is shit.
The Arch is unstable meme is only half true.
Gentoo is okay but I don't want to compile and portage is bloated af
Debian is okay as well.
IMHO Arch and Debian are the way to go.

ubuntu, lubuntu, slackware, lubuntu, mint

you should look at LMDE

" LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is a very exciting distribution, targeted at experienced users, which provides the same environment as Linux Mint but uses Debian as its package base, instead of Ubuntu.

LMDE is less mainstream than Linux Mint, it has a much smaller user base, it is not compatible with PPAs, and it lacks a few features. That makes it a bit harder to use and harder to find help for, so it is not recommended for novice users.

LMDE is however slightly faster than Linux Mint. Life on the LMDE side can be exciting. There are no point releases in LMDE 2, except for bug fixes and security fixes base packages stay the same, but Mint and desktop components are updated continuously. When ready, newly developed features get directly into LMDE 2, whereas they are staged for inclusion on the next upcoming Linux Mint point release. Consequently, Linux Mint users only run new features when a new point release comes out and they opt-in to upgrade to it. LMDE 2 users don’t have that choice, but they also don’t have to wait for new packages to mature and they usually get to run them first. It’s more risky, but more exciting.

Be very careful with budgie or you will end up a Kevin doomed to a life of Kevinposting

accurate
t. current Fedora user

true. I keep a windows partition exclusivelyfor gayman (inb4 someone spergs out that I didn't VM+GPU virt) but Windows feels like it's doing a huge number of things behind my back without any heads-up

This is absolute bull shit to place Arch and Gentoo together.

Arch is a joke distro which is made to teach schoolkids CLI, it's never employed in production by serious companies. Every developed distro has a minimal installer up to installing an OS from a chroot environment, for example Ubuntu Core or debootstrap, schoolkids don't know about it, they think that there's only GUI installer.

Gentoo is a professional distro with a high level of flexibility through the robust established compilation toolchain, the unified interface for compilation flags in the portage system, good tools for kernel compilation. For example Google uses Gentoo as a base for Chrome OS.

To cut long story short, Arch is for pajeets who can't manage their time, Gentoo is for professional engineers who want a reliable and flexible system.

Oldfag who started on Slackware.
Played with suse and red hat.
Now on Ubuntu.

Just install Debian and use the Mint DE.

I'd be on KDE Neon right now were it not for the fact that openSUSE is more stable as far as KDE goes. openSUSE is incredibly easy - if you can do Fedora or Debian, you can do openSUSE.

>this matters

Yeah i cant even get the live slackware distros to boot on my MBA. God damn BOB