/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/JiXZ2f0t

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-m74otZqd2Y
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=118569#p763630
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.

2nd for T60/T61 Frankenpad.
The closest thing you can get to a real ThinkPad that's still usable.
youtube.com/watch?v=-m74otZqd2Y

daily reminder that Windows 10 runs smoothly on the x220.

Recommended models:
T430 with a xx20 keyboard mod - 14", normal size
X230 with a xx20 keyboard mod - 12.5", ultraportable

>ftfy

overwatch can do 60 fps on the internal screen at medium quality. 60 fps on an external screen at high quality.

you're right that there's only one pcie lane being used, at gen2 speeds for these non-thunderbolt egpu setups. higher resolution and fancy effects seems to bite into performance a lot, texture quality not so much, especially if the textures are preloaded and sit in the card's RAM (level based games) rather than streamed (open world). routing the video output back to the laptop screen via optimus will also steal performance vs an external screen

What kind of drivers you install? Lenovo site is a mess, you have drivers labeled as Windows 10 yet when selecting OS there is no Win 10 filter.
Also some utilities from what I've seen are now "universal" and downloaded from other place.
Also, charging thresholds?

Lenovo solution center downloaded all the correct drivers

>it just werks

>ftfy
time to go back

>Also, charging thresholds?

windows10 takes care of that lmao

any good non-intel me laptop that doesnt sucks in modern era?

'smooth' is relative :^)

My X270 arrived last Friday and since then I've been getting a BSOD / system crash ("critical process died") approximately once every day for no discernible reason.

- I ran the Windows memory testing tool and no problems were found;
- I ran chkdsk and no problems were found;
- I ran sfc /scannow to verify Windows system files and no problems were found;
- Doing a system restore doesn't help;
- I would examine the BSOD memory dumps but it never successfully writes any (the % is just stuck at 0 eternally);
- I haven't tried other OSes because I have to work and haven't had time to set up Ubuntu to my liking; I suspect it wouldn't help.

So I contacted Lenovo support since I have a warranty and they said they'd send someone out to replace my motherboard, which I hope fixes this problem.

Has anyone here had similar experiences?

>Recommended models:
>T430 with a xx20 keyboard mod - 14", normal size
>X230 with a xx20 keyboard mod - 12.5", ultraportable
>ftfy

Best thinkpad for uni?

Daily reminder that this happened.

X220

>Not x220

T420

t420s

I used an X220 from the time they came out up until last week. The battery life on the X270 is really, really nice, and so is having USB 3.0 and USB-C.

>not using the objectively better T430 keyboard

system update

>suffering from stockholm syndrome

Is there a way to remove libreboot and get a normal boot screen? I'm getting sick and tired of libreboot.

can't tell if troll or literally retarded

get BIOS update from lenovo website

Has anyone here run into keyboard connector problems on the T420? I've had 2 keyboards which have half the keys dead. Applying pressure on the connector makes all the keys work again, but as soon as i relieve the pressure, the right side keys stop working. Is it a keyboard issue or should I somehow replace the connector itself?

Laptop Mountain refurb a reccomended buy? Looking at getting either T43 or T61 from there, and they are both at $120. Warranty for 60 days, doesn't cover battery life. Am I getting duped?

It's an issue with the ribbon cable or the connector. Buy a new keyboard.

>protip: buy a keyboard in a foreign language at a much cheaper price and snap your US (or whatever you use) on the keyboard

Oops looks like I waited too long, they only have the T43P available now for $140.

Am I really one of the only people who actually prefers the new chicklet style keyboard? I'd rather use the 8 row style for its layout. Though, I prefer the key travel and solid feedback of the island style.

I did buy a new keyboard, it started acting up yesterday. Same connector issue. It's one month old so I'll get a refund, but I don't want to keep buying keyboards every 3 months.

They barely sell US keyboards in my country, where could I find other language ones? Aliexpress?

ebay

and if a new keyboard don't fix it you jacked up the connector on the MB. good luck with that.

I prefer the increased number of keys in the old style, but I also do in fact prefer the chiclet keyboard.

You know, you can disable that shit in the bios

It's mostly just a bunch of poor fags parroting the same line.
old keyboard layout > new
old keyboard feel < chicklet
and by old I mean like t60+, my old t40's keyboard feels far better than any t420 that I've tried.

Shit. I hope the new keyboard fixes this issue, I'll tape it down forever.

Is a connector replacement possible? Provided I manage to find a similar connector from somewhere

Its flowed onto the MB by machine. If you are a fucking expert with a heat gun and soldering iron it's still a real fucking tricky job. If you can tape it down do it, just make sure you use non conductive tape (not duct tape).

t420s and t430s are fucking garbage the battery life is beyond a joke

€900 t460
I5 6200U
Intel HD graphics

Or
€1300 t460p
I5 6700HQ
Nvidia 940MX

Both 1080p , 8gb ram, 256gb ssd

Is the extra 400€ worth it? I have to do some scientific data analysis, but not like every day, maybe once a week-ish. How much performance will the higher frequency and more cores get me for everyday use? Is it even noticeable?

Kill me. Something or the other keeps going wrong with this laptop. Last month the motherboard developed a short from somewhere. Spent a lot of money getting it fixed, still much cheaper than a new Mobo.

t460

>t460
>muh thinpad
>not loving thicc thinkpad lovehandles

I don't care about weight or thickness, just wondering if the extra money is worth it.

ThiccPad

Pls respond

you're in the wrong general. this is for poor people and secondhand thinkpads. Just get a mpb

What's the point of the buyer's guide when the specs vary so much for each model

i've installed this drivers: forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=118569#p763630

battery threshold is the same i've had with Windows 7. i can tell you more when my new 9 cell has arrived.

>boots VERY fast
>no lag whatsoever
>office-apps open in like a second
>fan is silent and starts to spin only during heavy installations or updates
with win10 you can get a perfect office/business/shitposting machine for like 200 dollaroos.

you can only spoonfeed so much, the swallowing and digesting and shitting part is up to you

I have a X230 with an i5-3360M and a 170W 20V ac adapter. Can I use this adapter to charge the X230 or will I be running into problems like burning my house up?

I know approximately what different parts/performance cost, so in some cases it's wildly off

Is Win10 really worth upgrading to from Win7?
I use Linux and don't fancy paying for an OS or installing some dodgy cracked copy.

Yes but fa/g/gots will tell you otherwise.

Wattage doesn't matter as long as it's high enough, 170W def is. If it fits and the voltage is the same then you are fine, the laptop will only draw as much as it needs.

i've got my licence from a student, so if you know one, just ask. it works well for me (my desktop is linux, too), if you want/need it, that is up to you. i didn't ran into any problems so far.

10 (as well as maybe 8.1) is worth it if you dd windows. If you're spending the majority of your time on Linux as is then I doubt you have much to get out of it. Maybe it'll yield better battery life, but as long as you've got shit configured well anyway the difference wouldn't be huge. If you just have Win 7 as a backup or something then it's probably not all that worth upgrading.

i'm assuming you won't be running anything particularly intensive so more or less any thinkpad will do you just fine, the x220/t420 will do you just fine.

Is any of the thinkpads good for video editing? Maybe w530?

m8, will it be better for me to buy S1 Yoga for $499(Aus) or add $50 to get a T430?

Also, anyone can recommend me a good place to buy used thinkpad in Melbourne,Australia?

T430

>m8, will it be better for me to buy S1 Yoga for $499(Aus) or add $50 to get a T430?
Depends on what you need it for. You better be getting a well specced T430 at that price.

Your best bet is going to be eBay desu, maybe there's local places to get good deals, but if there's deals to be had then it'd be obscure as fuck in the first place.

Anyone in France have any experience with resellers?

Yeah, currently on ebay and I did found a better deal than shaddy refurb shop in the city area. Also, what's up with the resolution? Is it compulsary to upgrade to 1600x900?

So comfy rn

This anti chiclet attitude has to end. The new keyboard is better. I wouldn't have believed it either but since I got an X230 I see why they changed it.

How much, roughly, does an 120 or 250 gb ssd increase the value of a thinkpad?

Don't fool yourself.
7 row keyboard bets the shit out of any chicklet 6 row.

I don't mind the feel of the chiclets desu, but I dislike the layout changes.

50-100$ but it increases the performance extremely.

Thinking of buying a T460p. Any recommendations? I'm a slightly lost

Should I get t460s or t460? Or t450/450s? What are the differences? I'm gonna travel with it and I wanna know differences besides the price and size (I suppose s is for smaller). Do "s-without" have more battery?

keyboard GOD tier:
>X40
>X61s

keyboard GOLD tier:
>X230

keyboard OK tier:
>X201

keyboard OK but why did they have to fuck with insert/delete tier:
>X220

Based on my objective experiences of them as my daily driver.

The old layout at X201 and before was clearly superior to the new chiclet with X220 only having the insert/delete fuckup. They did however start to water down the quality somewhere around X201 by having shittier suppliers for some of the keyboards.

I ended having X201 and X220 with too soft feel for my taste and preferring X230 over them due to more stiff and tactile typing feeling which is very similar to what my X40 and X61s had.

Sometimes I dream how awesome it would be if I could use the old X40 as a bluetooth keyboard+mouse by installing finely crafted Gentoo on it but it's too much of a bother.

>Is it compulsary to upgrade to 1600x900?
On the T430 it pretty much is if you plan on actually using the screen, 1366x768 viewing angles and colour reproduction are pretty shit.

A friend of a friend is selling his T430 with an i5-3320M, 8gb ram and 120gb ssd, 1600x900 display for 270€. Is his asking price accurate and how low do I dare to haggle it?

250 and take it

Ended up buying one from ebay with similar spec for $330 AUD = £205

I reckon the price should be around £200-225

Are we using billiybalies as currency next?
I'd give you 2 of my best whips for 9 of your blobs.

disable what in the bios? network card whitelist? genuine battery check?
chiclet keyboard?

Everyone talks about chiclet and classic

What I find disgusting from the X220 keyboard is how much it flexes. It's not supposed to. I checked inside and there's no indication that it didn't flex when it was new. Keyboard flex is awful. I'd take any chiclet with no flex over this shit.

Where's the retro?

Anyone here owns a y720? How's the battery life and build quality? Worth getting?

I've just rechecked the spec and I actually get the model with 180Gb SSD and NVS 5400. You should definitely haggle for something around £150-190

you cant afford a y720

Why do you figure? I'm honestly considering buying one, but I'm not sure about the battery life.

The whitelist and the battery check

>What I find disgusting from the X220 keyboard is how much it flexes.
I have no flex on mine

Found a barely used T460 for sale with pretty good specs, wondering what you guys think?
Uses: Programming (Upcoming studies) and daily use at uni, nothing heavy.

Specs:
i5-6200U (2.3GHz)
8GB RAM
256GB SSD
14" 1920x1080 IPS
HD Graphics 520
new price: 10.600 DKK or 1530 USD
price now: 5000 DKK or 720 USD

also inclues Win 10 Pro & both original batteries.

Press down on the area around the volume buttons and think again.

not really

>DKK
what?
Anyways, the price is OK. Certainly less than you would pay for it in Europe.

>area around the volume buttons
that's literally the stiffest part of my keyboard, try again.

>what?
Danish Kuk Krone

sorry for inferior currency and thank you for your input. might just go for it.

Hey guys what do you think about the 710s, its has lenovo/thinkpad heritage and stuff, somebody here have it?

>2016
>i5-6200U

wew lad

pls respond