AOL Instant Messenger went offline today...

AOL Instant Messenger went offline today, unless you want to use their browser login or their most recent version which sucks.

What other Instant Messengers out there are similar or better than AIM? I'm looking for an IM that doesn't require an email or phone number, just a username or account with the software.

Any program where you can easily share pictures off the web/PC, no lag in sending messages, message encryption are all a plus, but I'm open to anything you guys use.

There's like a gazillion of text messengers

Discord, or Telegram. I recommend telegram.

welcome to the internet grandpa

yeah, I've gone through like 20, but none are satisfactory

I remember back in 2003 or so downloading a version of AIM that was already a few years old because if you fucked with one of its config files you could stop it from loading ads.

I was ad-blocking before it was cool

One sells your info, the other has your phone number and most people say it has bad crypto.
I guess you could use discord if you just shitpost with people you know online and don't talk about anything private.
Why do you recommend telegram?

Telegram rolled their own closed-source encryption suite and are trying to market themselves as "the secure chat", giving their users a completely unjustified sense of false security.

Unless things have changed since I last checked.

>AOL Instant Messenger went offline today
nigger what?!

I was under the impression that shit been offline a minimum of 15 years

>buddy list
never thought in my life I would lay eyes upon that stupid icon again

as far as sharing alternatives go, perhaps ftp is what you're looking for. Or you can always copy the data to a floppy and mail that shit

when this was announced a few weeks ago i logged into the browser version and couldn't believe how many people were still logged into it on my buddy list

can't you just download an old version like v4 and use it?
i did that like 8 years ago and had the same experienced, i wonder if i still remember my password...

They closed third party access, including all the older versions of AIM.

I'm logged in right now through Pidgin, you dun goofed somewhere. Try Trillian if you need a mobile client version.

post your age and first AIM screen name

>27
>Sk8tErDuDe91161

I'm actually on Pidgin right now, but I figured I'd just look for something new and improved.

I've been using Google Hangouts as XMMP in Pidgin and also the Facebook and Skype plugin for Pidgin (in b4 gtfo normie)

Didn't they stop updating that service a long time ago? I would think it has serious security problems now

>36
>KneeGrow

Was also my IRC name on dalnet. That and liquidfox. Good times.

wire

remember how much time and effort you spent into making you profile?

and then my buddy profile came out or whatever

and THEN myspace came out

what a good time that was

also

>that feeling when your crush would message you and that iconic sound would make your heart rate shoot through the roof or they would go offline and the door would slam

Quit being a picky autist and use one.

>using aol's client
Why would you do this?

Sk8rdd86

idk, help me be better

Damn is offline? I haven't used it in like 10 years. Kinda sad about it to be honest, seen the fall of most of the original IM programs. Is yahoo messenger still a thing? I know msn died too.

I miss those days

>31
>TotallyDrunk211
Kill me.

>24
>Kaidragon06
I was (and am) a huge weeaboo.

AIM isn't going offline. AOL got lazy and killed the OSCAR protocol (meant for 3rd party access).

The official client still works (and still has ads). Some 3rd party clients (like Pidgin) worked with AOL to move over to a still-supported access method.

>24
>x_zidane_x
Fuck

>member when all your friends and their different services were all unified in pidgin ?
>yeah i member

this assault on xmmp back in the day was the first shoe to drop in what would be come the facebook panopticon we live in today.

I believe so, but it's been pulled back quite a bit, similar to AIM's current state.

works with apple messages too

>song lyrics as away message

I do not like telegram.

It searches for your number in ALL telegramm accounts and tells them you're on telegramm. Wether you want them to know or not.