Why dont americans have chip cards

why dont americans have chip cards

Other urls found in this thread:

mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/payment-technologies/contactless/contactless-locator.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We do faggot

Banks want shops to pay for the upgrade to machines, shops want the banks to pay for it

we do and they are worse than the old mag strip cards

>swipe card
>sir you have to insert it
>insert card
>DO NOT REMOVE
>a whole minute passes
>transaction compl---*BEEEEEEEEEP*
>*BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP*

Thanks for nothing europe.

ok have fun when the magnet on your card fucks up because you used swipe instead

or use tap because it is the year 2018-2+1

simple. it because america is gay boy.

Americans are so fucking backwards.

>botnet money
No thanks

i've never had that happen

my card has a tap feature but no store has it enabled by default and you just look retarded tapping the terminal to check.

Because this makes businesses have to buy new things.

Businesses don't like buying things. Credit cards are still printed with swiper things. The customer's first reaction to a credit card terminal is to swipe their card. Therefore, why bother?

GOD BLESS THE CHEAP

backwards for you.

we think you're backwards for letting muslims rape and kill you, and outlaw any means of defense

But I do?
Wait, this is the part where all meme and pretend its true, right?
Okay, sorry, let me try again

We....do? Very common nowadays. Chip + pin for debit, chip for CC.

Except we do.

We do and it's fucking retarded swiping is faster and more convenient. The first time I used one I thought you just had to touch it near the card reader but no you have to stick the motherfucker in longways and it's not as easy and takes longer.

What the fuck is the point?

The better question is, why are "security" chips so bad at even the most basic forms of encryption that were described and implemented over 40 years ago?

Those things are an absolute joke.

friendly reminder that card imprinters still exist and are still valid forms of payment validation in 2017

In Europe we already do what you first expected.

That's how far behind you are.

Come on guys.

America is slightly behind on this because we're all testing countries. New Zealand and Australia are the first countries to get chips and PayPass because we are their little bitch. We aren't superior, they're using us.

At least we haven't invited millions of members of the Islamic state to outbreed us and take control of our countries.

Nice whataboutery. I live in Hungary. Kys.

>being surrounded by the islamic state and a bunch of leftist morons

America confirmed undeveloped turdhole

Yeah man, Europe is just Iraq right now. Please don't come Cleetus, it is very dangerous and third world, unlike America.

Meanwhile where I live a lot of places have them but you have lazy stripes of tape and pieces of paper saying "chip reader out of order", and when I ask why it simply amounts to "we haven't set it up yet"

Are you the granny holding up the entire line by writing a check

>a whole minute passes
>swiping is faster and more convenient
This is why they don't have it. They have Africa tier internet connections so nothing more modern than hitting two rocks together won't work in their system. The chip is instant in first world countries. Won't take even two seconds.

In Europe, it takes 1-2 seconds.
But we also have high speed internet, guess that is coming to America in a decade or two.

That's fine, we understand that you ran out of room because you gave it all away to all those Muslim refugees. It's sad that they rape your women, terrorize your citizens and try to force sharia law onto everyone else, but hey you're showing the world how tolerant you are.

It's the same in Australia and our internet is just as bad as America's except without the bandwidth limits. Americans just live in a dystopian shithole.

I don't give a fuck about chip or swipe. I'm just tired of this transition phase of it.

>go to a store I normally don't go to
>machine has support for both swipe and chip
>insert the chip
>cashier says to swipe
>go to another store
>also has support for both
>swipe
>no use the chip

Fuck. I'm sure I'll like it when it becomes as fast as other countries but right now I gotta hold onto my wallet while I wait for it to do its thing. With swipe I could just swipe, put the card back in my wallet, and be done quick.

That's progressive you uncultured swine.

Just pay cash while it's still legal.

Same in no internet Australia, I think most of them use the 3/4G network.

All of this is true, please stop sending your fat tourists, it is very dangerous unlike Chicago, New York, LA, Seattle or flyover swamp land. I fear for their lives as they are unable to run on their fast food diets and we don't provide mandatory electric scooters in this shithole.

>informing the (((banks))) of all your purchases
>not just paying with cash
Oh wait that requires both you and the cashier to count, I guess that's too advanced for Americans.

>*wakes up*
>Man i can't wait to shitpost about chip cards
>>Sir you've been in a coma for 5 years...

people scoff at me when i pay for lunch in all change

I don't even bother counting it because they're just gonna count it again.

>20518-18501
>not using tap

Fucking America is trash. They haven't even adopted what we in the first world consider old technology. No fucking chip & PIN?!

So you literally throw a handful of bills and coins at the cashier or what? No wonder people scoff at you.

i just make guesses, a handful is like 70 cents i give them a few handfuls and i'm only ever off by a dollar

people who groan behind me are usually on their lunch break, fuck them

>be American
>work at office depot
>people just swipe their cards whenever, even when the machine is obviously not ready
>have to remind people to use the chip reader or wait for the bright green flashing swipe lights.

>sometimes they swipe it and put it away before the machine is even ready to take the card, then they swipe it again WHILE I'M TELLING THEM TO PUT IT IN THE CHIP READER
>some of them will argue with me that they don't have a chip when they do, or confuse the carrier hologram with the chip and insert the card backwards and upside-down

>they insert their card while whinging at me about how slow the process is as if they didn't just make it take twice as long by being fucking retarded
>some of them will keep pressing the card in or wiggling it or beinding it upwards until they see shit changing on the screen, even though the checkout process is controlled entirely by the cashier and not the computer.
>and they wonder why their card is cracked and no store can read their fucking EMV chip

>then they try and beat the card reader by removing the card so it won't beep at them, cancelling the transaction, forcing me to have to go back, retotal their purchase, explain that they haven't been charged, and wait another 60 seconds or more for ANOTHER chip read.

The worst motherfuckers are what Aussies might call "tradies", because their cards get so bent up from being in a back pocket and sat on, then taken out and handled with greasy fingers, that they don't read at all. I've taken to telling people they can't swipe after 3 failed chip reads if I can tell they're technologically inept, because explaining why an EMV card doesn't operate to a Southern hillbilly is like pulling teeth and these dumb fucks ain't got any!

i have never had an issue tapping and i've done it for a year. before i just used the chip.

it's obvious which ones don't support tapping because they're bulky as fuck and don't have the an icon chip displayed on the screen. even ones that only say "insert/swipe" work with tap

I can't even.
Why don't you just calculate the exact amount and get out the money while you're waiting in line anyway? Saves lots of time.

I'm sure you'd like that, wouldn't you?

Better hurry up and get back to your job so mr. noseburg doesn't get angry!

It's basic courtesy to not hold up other people by using your brain for 5 seconds while you're idling anyway. It's a culture thing, Americans like you wouldn't understand.

it doesn't really save anyone time because the cashier is still gonna recount your nicely separated piles of coins and they're not going to be quick because they're not used to it

most POS machines LITERALLY tell you how many of each coin to hand to the customer when making change, kids are stupid as fuck

>Be American
>Laugh every day that non-americans have to justify their existence by pretending having irrelevant shit like chip card readers makes them better than us
>Meanwhile I've actually already been using chip for years and never have a problem with it
Feels good.

>nobody counts because they're not used to it
>nobody is used to counting because nobody does it
Americans are truly incredible. A cashier's fucking job is handling your money, you'd think if there's one thing he can do it would be counting money.
>most POS machines LITERALLY tell you how many of each coin to hand to the customer when making change
THE FUCK

>Swipe card
>Please insert chip
>Beep beep beep
> 30 seconds pass
>Please sign
>Beep beep
>Cash back?
>Beep beep
>Enter pin
>Beep
>BEEP remove card

Shit is fucking retarded

>60 seconds or more for ANOTHER chip read
wait does it really take this long? Mine works in like a second...

How do you fuck this up it literally takes 10s. And wtf are you signing stuff for?

WOULD YOU LIKE TO EMAIL YOUR RECEIPT????

I get my card stolen almost every 2 months now that chips are popular..
used to have them for the 3-4 years and never have issues

why are the dirty europoors bringing their thievery to the states?

The chip is shit for consumers. It's not about the technology, it's the fine print.

With the magnetic stripe and signature, the credit card issuer assumes all responsibility. Even though the magnetic stripe is less secure, if it gets stolen and used to make unauthorized purchases you can just call your cc company and they refund those purchases immediately while they investigate. They have to request signed receipts from the stores the card was used at, and even if the thief forged your signature it's not a problem for you because your cc company has to prove it's your signature. You have a ton of protection here.

With the chip, even though it's more secure, if somehow your chip and pin DO get stolen you're basically fucked. They will say that a correct pin was entered so it's a valid purchase. They don't have to prove that YOU entered the pin (since it would basically be impossible to do so).

>2017
>not paying for things with oral sex

Silly American, even up in Canada we have tap and go and chip cards. Had em for years. They take like two seconds to process.

I'm pretty sure we have people in igloos with faster Internet than you

And sorry for being so rude eh, you guys just make me laugh

>using the plastic jew

kys

You're right my dude. I hate just leaving my card hanging out for any nigger to come steal it after he somehow figured out my pin. 7 eleven is the worst with this cause it takes for-fucking-ever for the system to be done with your card and there's always some nigger or meth head just standing right behind you with all of his or her shit sitting on the counter. Always watching your hands trying to figure out your pin so they can push you, take out your card from the reader, and be merrily on there way to fucking you financially if youre not fast enough to call your bank. Really the problem is niggers and meth heads. Not the chip.

Not a single Chip reader I've used is fast.
I've used in 3 states and all 3 were the same bullshit.
Thanks Europe

>le ebin chip vs. swipe maymay

fuck off

Magnet strips can easily be copied.
Romanian people used to do that all the time here (dutchfag). They empty your account with their copied card.
Chip cannot be copied. It's much safer.

We do. They are a pain in the ass, though.

Ok, so have them adopt shit like Apple Pay. Literally impossible to copy.

Meanwhile, in Europe.....

see you in 2027 USA

Magnetic strips are fucking awful but upgrading 300 million cards at once is a lot different than doing whatever in tiny euro countries. Cheaper to just eat the fraud and wait it out.

>pgrading 300 million cards at once is a lot different than doing whatever in tiny euro countries.

europe is 570 million people.

And all of europe upgraded at once? Or was it more like 100 different processes upgrading a couple million people at a time? Would upgrading one country suddenly leave another country without the leased payment terminals?

Honestly, I wouldn't give a shit if it didn't take for fucking ever.

When you compare it to something like Applepay (I'm sure there's other shit just like it, I just don't know the name), it blows the wait time out of the water, and is even more secure.

China is all over the contactless payment stuff, banks in the USA though are still running reel to reel machines from the 60s in everyday use probly. It costs too much to change instead of just expanding til that is negligible.

>>And all of europe upgraded at once?
pretty much

two times actually, to pin and then to contactless

I travel a lot and the upgrade was happening everywhere at the same time

I never understand why people do business with banks that don't own their own credit/debit infrastructure.

>swipe card
you're retarded. If you have a chip in a non-3rd world country you don't even bother swiping
>insert card
lmao just paywave it faggot
>3 seconds pass
>transaction approved

Pay wave hasn't been adopted by most of the US. Even when it is, I've never had it work.

>Paywave
>Visa Exclusive
>Visa is not a bank, they simply own the infrastructure, meaning that the banks that use the Visa infrastructure means they must rely on banking customers for their profit margin.

Fucking retard.

Nice try americuck

>visa exclusive
except it's not, other credit card companies have different names for the same thing. I have a MasterCard and it has "paypass"

MC isn't a bank, either, you know.

The banking system in US is still in the stone age. My friend in Scotland receives his wage from US work in fucking paychecks sent by mail. Poland is a shithole but at least we have contactless payment in almost every grocery store.

Your point? You claimed that paywave is visa exclusive, which is not a bank either and not true.

Banks hold the right for the retailer to process credit cards.

So if you want to process credit cards your going to buy/do what the processor says

Not entirely true, but partially. When the banks own the infrastructure, like AmEx and Discover (both have banking accounts available - Bluebird for AmEx and Checking/Savings account for discover), you are absolutely right.

However, when banks just use a 3rd party (like the banks that use Visa/MC), then the 3rd party, which owns the infrastructure, gets to set the terms.

Visa and MC don't really give a shit about security so long as it doesn't give them a negative image. The banks and the customers are the only ones at risk, not the infrastructure itself.

When are Americans gonna admit that they live in a third world country? I mean surely they aren't delusional enough to think they're on the same level as the rest of the western world.

Not our fault you guys refuse to upgrade the network from 56k times. You had years of warning, why the fuck didn't you?

Is this a thread where non Americans tell each other what America is like?

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. I use a small regional credit union. Both my debit and credit card have chips. I have an RFID tag on my keychain for the fuel station and I can use my phone for contactless payment at 99 locations around my tiny shitburg town in the middle of nowhere. Just because people don't use it doesn't mean it isn't available

mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/payment-technologies/contactless/contactless-locator.html

Our internet is not as bad as you believe it is.

My bank has yet to issue me one. I feel so lucky.

Not the internet. I learned from you guys that a lot of card terminals in the US are still connected to the dial up infrastructure

We do. We don't have the contactless cards and my neckbeard paranoia is thankful for that.

You believe faggots on the internet?
But seriously, it's mostly done by satellite, every gas station has one. A relatively few still use dial up that I have encountered, but that is not because of the lack of broadband options. They are usually in small towns and country stores where the owner doesn't care, or doesn't want to pay $50 a month for cable. But just remember, it's satellite that is used most by retailers for card shit. They also use it to connect to the corporate networks and such.

No, you only got a ton of Hispanics and niggers doing the same thing.

Remember the connection will only be as fast as the weakest link. Something has to delay the communication to that point, my card payments take 5 seconds at the absolute most.

Dude they fucking suck monkey ass, they take a whole minute to do anything.

Wow I fucking hate chip now.

How's it like living in Alaska? I would love to move their, but I would probably have no work.

Yeah, satellite is slow as shit. Gas station run by Hadji's down the road still uses satellite, even tho our small town has its own cable co-op, decent prices, and the main office is one block down from the business. Most corporate environments still use satellite, like our main grocery store, Kroger, that is one of the largest in the nation. Strange, must be more secure or reliable that cable.(even tho weather fucks with satellite)

Even in Brazil here it's highly widespread.