When did you realize that free software is a scam?

When did you realize that free software is a scam?

Other urls found in this thread:

commandcenter.blogspot.com/2006/06/i-cant-find-this-on-web-so-here.html
opensource.google.com/
opensource.google.com/docs/using/agpl-policy/
blackducksoftware.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I only ask that you give other people the same rights I gave you when you redistribute code that I wrote and use it in your commercial products.

If you don't want to play ball, that's fine, go find some other MIT/BSD cuck's project so you can just copy paste it into your project and give them a tiny thanks buried at the bottom of your about dialog.

>can't even tell the difference between free as in free speech and free as in free beer

What the fuck does this even mean

MUH GPL LICENSE

REEE

>Say something
>Get arrested
>Despair over not saying the right thing

Doesn't matter much.
People steal GPL licensed source code and use it in proprietary projects all the fucking time.

Did this alot in a company I work, boss knows, everything is fine.

No you didn't.
It's trivial to find out.
You can't hide it in binaries without rewriting most of it, and at that point you might as well start from scratch.

>oh no, here comes the gpl police!

>No you didn't.
I did.
Not once, not twice, multiple times.

You see, you probably think companies are afraid of an autistic toejam eater or his communist orbiters from suing them but let me tell you something: they are not.

If you can't live with the fact that a lot of companies do this and it's fucking impossible to check every fucking software in existence, let alone proprietary ones, you might as well off yourself.

I'm sure you did. You keep telling yourself that.

>And here's all the proof
>

>look at this guy who never has had a job and laugh
I see GPL functions in proprietary binaries all the time. it's common in shitty bespoke corporate software

This is why my shit stays proprietary

Fuck you and fuck chinks

Whatever makes you sleep at night because I have no problem with it.

You know, people like the douchebags in OP's screenshot are previously why FOSS sucks.

The fact that your software is free, or a labor of love, or a vanity project, or whatever doesn't free you from the need to understand and respond appropriately to what the users of your software need. Yes, you have the *right* to ignore them, in that you are not legally beholden to them as part of a transaction, but when you do so, you run the risk of adding yet another shitty, half-baked piece of software to an *ocean* of shitty, half-baked software that was produced by the exact same thought process. And at that point, it's little more than ideological masturbation.

Even better that it's Rob Pike. He's the Satan to RMS Jesus.

>Pike is the sole inventor named in AT&T's US patent 4,555,775 or "backing store patent" that is part of the X graphic system protocol and one of the first software patents.

Read Rob Pike's account is you want to lose all respect for God Emperor RMS commandcenter.blogspot.com/2006/06/i-cant-find-this-on-web-so-here.html

>hurr durr it's not free as in beer
>reeeeeeee

Of course this cancer works at Google too.

>pic: I can't take criticism

Rob like is a faggot and his language is for faggots

You better stop with that motherfucking buzz-phrase. Stallman's just another pharisee, in case you didn't notice.

>tfw you think that one guy who wrote a book about UNIX can unfuck copyright.

"The people complaining that this isn't free-as-in-freedom should remember that there's a lot of code in here that Nokia/Alcatel-Lucent does not and has never owned. 10th edition, specifically, was never 'distributed' and probably could not be because it contained gcc. You'll note these archives are not even hosted by the corporation. They STILL aren't 'distributing' any of this. There's no way to know a priori whether there's someone else's IP in here... the packaging method for these versions of unix was "Dennis makes a copy of a running system, including whatever happened to be on that disk."

So, this is a kind gesture made for the benefit of software archaeologists. Retroactively applying some kind of modern-hippie license would cost a tremendous amount of time and money."

>LARPing on Sup Forums

Why should i care about his whining? Many can work with GPL3 code and many can't then rant shit about it. Just use that fucking plan9 and llvm and shut up.

This isn't about whether you can, cannot, or should. Rob Pike got UNIX source code published because he's the only person from Bell that's still living and/or relevant.

People are upset with him because he doesn't have a god damned time machine to tell Dennis Ritchie "some neckbeards 40 years in the future are going to get upset about something called guh-new"

No respect lost at all, RMS is a true believer but not an unpolite person. Sure he does a lot of shit for political gains but that has a measurable affect on his policies gaining traction. Nothing against Rob (except his dildo clothes) just not interested in his standard patent-friendly privacy-unfriendly ways.

To each their own. Good point. *tips fedora*

After reading it, I felt more respect for Rob Pike as a professional whose work is worth paying for, and RMS acting like a hippie and throwing a tantrum.

> dildo clothes
Pic related

Rob is like..... the true research scientist. He does science because he must without ever questioning whether he should. In terms of CS shit, that's a very minimally impactful ethos but he's really good at innovating.

He share something with rms. The irrelevance.

opensource.google.com/

“Google's embrace of open source has been important to me as an engineer in ways I can't express. It's fantastic!”
--Rob Pike, Distinguished Engineer Rob Pike, Distinguished Engineer

opensource.google.com/docs/using/agpl-policy/

oy vey

I don't understand people who use plain GPL.

>I don't want to use BSD licensing because corporation can steal my code but I want web shit companies to steal it

This is the same decision as BSD. For me MPLv2 is the best, but less advertised despite being the most fair for users and devs.

FSF and other organizations have sued companies for GPL infringement and won, your project being small as shit an completely unnoticed doesn't mean that the GPL is valueless

That's fine, as long as you understand that thinking violations of the GPL is ok also means it is perfectly ok to pirate software, pirate books, pirate movies, pirate music

> because corporation can steal my code
It's not about using for free, it's about not giving back if they improved it. That's why Sony use BSD, it allows them to hide a source for PS OS. Security through obscurity and all that.

And not using AGPL allows companies to not give back, if they're doing SaaS.

Pike is smelly kike enabler

>It's trivial to find out.
yeah right

The effort of picking your turd software off the ground is worth more than your turd software.

Things aren't valuable simply by virtue of being free, ask any artist.

>pic related

When did you realize that you are not on Sup Forums, dumb twitter faggot?

Take your ebin "shitty post+dumbass twitter screencap" shit back to your containment board.

this

companies wanna play dirty and reap every benefit they can get their greedy hands on, laws, morals, and ethics be damned. But then complain people fight them in their own game?

>compiles with all optimizations and strips binaries
what now commie

Disassembler is your enemy. Commie.

i dunno but I just realized op is a retarded faggot

Hey dude have this free bullet to the brain? wtf don't complain IT'S FREE.

Information is lost idiot, it is mathematically impossible to recover the source code

>give something away for free
>license sucks
>people complain
Why is that so hard to understand? Nobody is going to make unix commercially viable again, they might as well just gpl it.

>hmm why does this giant section of your binary match the binary emitted by my FOSS project??
>surely that can't be a coincidence

the static strings would probably be a dead giveaway.

I see his point, but it doesn't universally apply to any situation - it's easy to construct counter examples:

1. Promise people free cake, but then throw it on the ground in front of them. You'll hear complaints.

2. Offer people free coffee, but deliver a poisoned free coffee. Not the best delivery approach.

3. Adverts are free, but their delivery is intrusive and might prompt complaints.

So without knowing who this cunt is, what he's talking about, I can't tell if he's right or not. Maybe I should have read this thread before posting.

>So without knowing who this cunt is

What is with you americans and constantly going on about shit you simply don't understand all because you want your voice heard?
Newsflash, understand the entire situation before crafting your dumbass opinion.

Is that clear enough for you fatass?

Nothing of any importance has ever been expressed or delivered through a tweet.

Because he made a sweeping generalisation that if you give something away for free, it warrants absolutely no complaints ever. It's simply not true and I countered his generalisation.

If a "long term support" distribution that you trust with your school/work laptop suddenly decides to fuck you over and nuke your home folder because "it's free and we can do what we want" - you will have been mislead and feel pretty upset.

I subscribe to the go-nuts mailing list which rob Pike (and many other core go developers) frequently posts on. I've seen the core go developers (including pike) refuse to even look at code without a license, and then the whole core Go team complained about it.

If you hand me trash for free I'll still complain
If I download something for free expecting it to be average and it turns out to be trash I'll still complain.

>And as for the propriety of software patents,
>I signed a contract when I joined AT&T that said, in
>effect, that I could work on whatever I fancied and would be
>supported well in that endeavor; all AT&T asked in return was that
>they be allowed to make money from my work. In Stallman's
>world that is a Faustian deal, but then I always thought only
>boring people went to Heaven.

kek

Nothing of any importance has ever been expressed or delivered through a Sup Forums post.

free as in freedom, not free as in gratis

not that anybody would BUY Pikeware

A company tried to do that with me but I declined saying whatever I write in my freetime completely belongs to me and they can not have it, even if it happens to be in the same field.
In the end I found a company that is ok with this and I am happy. Programming at work means I just give them my time and they pay me for sitting there and solving their tasks. Programming for myself and friends at home means it all belongs to me and the company has no rights and can fuck off.

companies are afraid of the SFC just as much as they're afraid of the BSA, and many of those companies use unlicensed versions of Windows anyway

the only reason you didn't get caught is either because your shit is too obscure for anybody to give a fuck about, or because whoever found out didn't care to pursue the matter

you're not wrong; your company is just ran like shit

blackducksoftware.com/

In all seriousness though, you probably won't get caught, but if someone ever wants to acquire your software or your company, they might request an audit be done.

Usually, companies get caught when their product competes with a very visible open source project, eg. a game dev making a port of an old video game, and using source code from an open source emulator instead of writing their own emulator to use in their proprietary project