Samsung S8

>rounded screen corners
why the FUCK is this a thing? How is this handled internally? Are there pixels values calculated in those corners that are not ever shown, or do pixel rows have a variable width and they have to do mapping shit for everything to be positioned properly when it comes to collision logic?

It's easiest for them to just omit those physical pixels on the display but still have both the hardware and software assume that the display is a standard rectangular shape.

So that's probably what they've done.

Its still a shitshow. It will always be a clusterfuck.

It's just a cosmetic detail that a few pixels in the corners never get displayed. Of course it's functionally a useless thing to do.

It's meant to lower the chances of the screen breaking if it's dropped and lands on a corner

What happens when you take a screenshot? Will the corners be transparent in the .PNG? Or will they be rendered like the screen doesn't have rounded edges?

Yes

>the screen won't break if the pixels are disabled

You're a special kind of retard, aren't you?

Normally I would argue that screens are glass and the outside of it can be stronger, but that's not even true since Samsung decided to literally make the entire phone a screen.

I have never understood the full-glass-body meme. Why do they do that?

I guess he tought of the G6 which actually has 'cut of corners' instead of disabled pixels. Don't be so mean >.

It looks good and feels nice. Objectively a shit construction, but the average consumer doesn't look at products objectively nowadays.

my OCD is acting up from seeing that phone. fuck you Samshit!

I mean I guess it is subjective, but I personally think it looks really tacky and I much prefer the HTC-type metal finish.

It's not a matter of the pixels being disabled, but the pixels not being there
By rounding the edge, there isn't a sharp corner that would buckle on impact. By having a rounder edge it disperses the shock better and reduces the risk of damage

samsung always uses shitty gimmicks
>muh edge screens
>muh rounded screen corners
>i'll make a phone which looks like a fucking ball next year

hopefully there will be a way to turn it on back, and maybe change how rounded they are

No.

I asked two questions. Just saying "yes" or "no" doesn't answer anything.

maybe

that's actually a very good question that I'd like to know the answer to
The LG G6 also has rounded corners and its screenshots are just a normal looking rectangle
so it's probably that

the Note 7 was and still is the best thing they ever made, the s8 looks pretty underwhelming and looks has a shit ui. Bixby seems to be another gimmick no one will use and the hardware got like 0 upgrades, they should just call this s7 edge part 2

Physical bixby button is what has me leaning towards the G6 over this. Accidentally pressing that button is going to be annoying. Almost like the days when dumb phones came with a physical button that opened the web browser so carriers could nickel and dime you with data charges. And then the fingerprint sensor is in a spot that's going to make it so you get smudges all over the camera lens.

then why did it keep exploding

I don't know

Sd 835, bluetooth 5, usb-c, improved edge design, lighter skin, and bezels (yes I know not all are software) are all good upgrades over the s7e

Caution:
The glass is too sensitive; if dropped, would break instantly.

When will we get TVs with rounded edges again?

can you repeat the question

has it been tested on a physical unit?