FreeBSD

So I'm gonna check out FreeBSD, while its downloading, thought i'd get Sup Forums's opinion on it.

From the little I read I gather its sorta like Debian or Arch (maybe Gentoo, I've never used Gentoo), in that you download a base system, and everything else is extra that needs to be made. (ya I know apt and pacman, I guess use binaries)

Is it less Bot_Net() than Linux?, that's probably a dumb way to word my question, but I mean like the base is old af right?, stuff like systemD gets a lot of flak for getting its fingers in everything, possibly making a huge target potential malice.

any other thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>thought i'd get Sup Forums's opinion on it
wat da ya expect from de/g/enerates opinion?

>Is it less Bot_Net() than Linux?, that's probably a dumb way to word my question, but I mean like the base is old af right?
well it is old but people are working on it you know

still though, a lot less servers running BSD stuff means its less likely to be botnetted

also i'm pretty sure in debian literally every part of the operating system is a package, this is probably why updates can sometimes uninstall your entire OS by accident

Very bad security record.

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt

If you want to go tinfoil mode, use OpenBSD. It's actually pretty cool. Otherwise Linux is always good.

Use Slackware instead.

Is not broken like FresBIE and you get all the advantages.

dubs for that link, thanks

FreeBSD was good when it was in the 4.X range. They messed it up when adding SMP. Dillon's DragonBSD takes 4.X and does SMP right.

they make great tacos

whoops

where'd you get that picture?

see

>THE YEAR OF OUR LORD TWENTY ONE SEVEN ANNO DOMINI
>No ASLR

>What's more, it's largely obsoleted by AES-NI in modern CPUs
I should have stopped reading right there.
AES-NI is the real security risk. FreeBSD is written and configured with hardware backdoors in mind. This guy is acting like the CPU is not potentially hostile.

FreeBSD 11.0 is awesome and there hasn't been any reported remote exploits.

>FreeBSD includes Sendmail in the base system and enables it by default.
Right there in the installer you can disable sendmail

>security.bsd.hardlink_check_gid=1
This only ever matters if someone exploited the system already and slows down operation

>security.bsd.unprivileged_read_msgbuf=0
Now its configurable installed

On Lenovo X200, FreeBSD runs with a few issues (suspend).

Linux has this problem too, doesn't it?

Yeah, it's ACPI's fault. Designed by Microsoft and Intel to make it impossible to compete with Windows.

Don't bother, terrible multithreading and filesystem performance (except XFS)

FreeBSD doesn't support XFS, only for reading.

He likely meant ZFS.

ZFS*

A decent OS, desu. Bad driver support, but WAY less of a botnet. Also, ignore the OpenBSD shills - FreeBSD has built-in auditing, which does help by a shitton.

ZFS is awesome. UFS is fine. The license is awesome, and not the commie autistic screeching of guhnoo. It has pretty sane defaults.

The debian problem comes when you try and uninstall a package that came preinstalled with something so it's linked to X and tries to remove everything it's linked to. It's a simple command to unlink it.

However you should use Guix anyway and never touch apt-get ever again.

Get the book Absolute FreeBSD (libgen.io) or you'll have no idea what you're doing.

You should also use SmartOS if you're building a server, then you get real KVM not Bhyve junk, and fully featured ZFS not the shit half-assed implementation with FreeBSD. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use FreeBSD as a server when SmartOS exists and even has better 'jails' (zones) than FreeBSD. Hell SmartOS even has a more up to date pf than FreeBSD.

Linux and OpenBSD doesn't have this problem.

What?