/spg/ - Smartphone General - Pixel XL is the best phone ever edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ specs revealed by TENAA
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_and_s8_specs_revealed_by_tenaa-news-24257.php

Samsung Galaxy S8 hands on First Impressions
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/samsung-galaxy-s8-hands-on-samsung-produces-a-stunning-redesign/

HTC U (Ocean) with touch-sensitive frame launches in April
gsmarena.com/htc_u_ocean_with_touchsensitive_frame_launches_in_april-news-24238.php

Nokia 6 teardown: built like a tank
gsmarena.com/nokia_6_teardown_built_like_a_tank-blog-24253.php

Refurbished Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Likely Price, Market & Launch details Emerge
gizmochina.com/2017/03/29/refurbished-samsung-galaxy-note-7-likely-price-market-launch-details-emerge/

More Xiaomi Mi 6 Rumours & Leaks: Ceramic Body, Iris recognition, Waterproof & Wireless charging
gizmochina.com/2017/03/29/xiaomi-mi-6-rumours-leaks-ceramic-body-iris-recognition-waterproof-wireless-charging/

old

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Spigen-Protector-Tempered-Coverage-Hardness/dp/B01N63XLQ6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490847745&sr=8-4&keywords=pixel xl glass screen protector
gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2016&nRamMin=3000&fDisplayInchesMin=5.9
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Take the red pill.

I'll just try my luck again. Pls no bully.

I have a Xiaomi RN3P for over 2 months now and it killed my second sim card.
Are xiaomis known to kill sim cards? Why does this happen in the first place? Never had a sim die before. Google doesn't find anything useful about this.

are you sure it's actually dead and not just the simcard slot that's dead?

Does that do VR? If so, how good is it?

So I said fuck it, and bought the Google Pixel XL 128GB. They said it was on a 5-6 week back order, but then it just showed up at my doorstep in 4 fucking days. I was hoping I had time for buyers remorse to sink in, and cancel the order, but guess not.
Anyway, its the best fucking phone I ever used.

Installed PureNexus on my old Nexus 5, fucking blazing fucking fast. Maybe even slightly faster than the Pixel in response times. Pixel does blow it out of the water app performance wise tho.

Back to the Pixel. Few complaints. The Google branded case is silicony, and attracts a LOT of dirt, and loose fibers. Cant seem to find a better case.
USB Type C is THICC and doesn't curve well.
Not a single screen protects fits well. The glass on this phone is SLIGHTLY curved at the edge, and since no one bothers making a soft malleable screen protector anymore, the glass ones cant come to the edge. I tried the ZAGG one, and Verizon's brand of screen protectors and they are actually SMALLER than the fucking LCD screen. Spent 20 minutes fiddling with one, and it just wont cover the entire display. Fucking retarded.
AliExpress screen protectors just copy the dimension, and have the same fucking problem.
Cant seem to get more than 5 icons in a row, even if I lower all the font, and display size to small, it shows that more icons will fit, but no new grids show up.
Stupid inconstant 7.1 icons all over the place

Fingerprint sensor is amazing, I cant believe I ever talked shit on the concept. I can unlock the phone with one hand and go back exactly where I left off. Its very accurate, and you can add multiple fingers from each hand.
My Anker car charger that never charged my Nexus fast, charges the Pixel fast.

Night light mode in 7.1 is awesome.
Wallpapers are pretty good, but wish they had better resolutions for each screen

Is there a nice ROM for the Pixel XL I can slap on? I really like the custom ROM features.

Anyone ever successfully compile AOSP for your phone? How the fuck did you do it? I always end up solving different errors until I get something that can't be googled.

Used Samsung Galaxy S5 for 90€.

Should I go for it? My absolute max. limit is 100€ I can spend on a phone. It even has warranty left for few months. The cover for the charging port is only missing, I wonder if I could get that fixed while at it.

Nuh uh, that's the G6 u dummy

what is Sup Forums's opinion on our first look on the S8?

imma buy it

pic unrelated

Looks really good, but I have an S7 Edge so I won't get one.

Are all phones botnets

What's the difference of SD820 and SD650 in real life performance? Is it noticeable? Like faster facebook page loading or faster gps fix?

>tfw you use a giant fucking huawei phone every day

Waiting for the Note 8 so it gets a price drop. Hopefully my V10 doesn't bootloop until then.

>Pixel XL is the best phone ever edition
False

Gollum?

this really is how i feel every day
you don't even want to see it in its big fucker case

First for the Best phone ever made

and front facing speakers

damn a zte diehard
that's a rare breed

This shit is completely unnoticeable unless you have both side by side, stop sperging over specs, we're LONG past the time where any of this shit matters anymore.

Oneplus T3 or Pixel XL?

I want black

Are there mediatek phones with good ROM support? I was thinking of getting a Nokia 3.

this, and that's why i buy $100 burner phones like this

op
no

As opposed to the Succ shills?

ZTE has paid for literal shills in the past.

Best chink phone under $200 that works with t mobile in the us

I dunno man. My Moto x pure has front facing stereo speakers and didn't come with all that bloatware - maybe 4 or 5 Moto apps and the rest was google shit. Reckon it's about as pure google as one could get without having a Nexus.

ZTE ZMax Pro

I wish ZTE paid me to shill

I'd fucking do it

Anyone?

Dunno m8, all my phones dont come with covers for ports and they've been just fine. It sounds like a dealbreaker desu.

Really don't care about the cover, just wondering if I can get that fixed under warranty once I buy it from him.
Just interested in whether this is the ultimate best bucks deal for a consumer.
I'm super duper poorfag so 90€ for S5 seems pretty good deal after doing some research. In my country second hand variety is pretty bad for other products that aren't iphones and lumias and I want none of those OS phones.

Any decent custom Android versions for a Galaxy s5 or should I stick with Lineage OS? Also does anyone know what kind of battery case I should get? I'm going to be taking a trip through streetshitterland (South Asia) in a few months. I can't imagine that I'll have access to a working electrical outlet more often than every 3-4 days.

Literally why? You can't root it or install a custom OS and it's 100% proprietary. Just get an iShit, you fag.

>buying cheap Chinese phones
You get what you pay for. It's 1000 times better to buy a few years old flagship than a brand new chinkfone.

Definitely go for it. I have one and it's great. It's the first phone I've had that has an SD slot and it's the most amazing feature. I store the OS and a few apps on the internal 16GB flash and everything else on a 128GB micro SD card. I'll never buy another phone without this.

Yes. The modem has poor isolation from other hardware like mics and cameras and runs closed source baseband software. I think it's safe to assume that any smartphone can easily be used to spy on you. This is why I remove my battery when I don't need the phone.

topkek

OnePlus. You get better hardware for less, but get the Pixel if you want software support a decade from now.

If I use an alternative launcher like Nova Launcher, does it take up more resources than if I had just used the stock launcher? Asking since my GS4 is shitting the bed to the point where I have to turn off nearly all my rice.

Is this still true though? A few years ago, budget phones were truly shit and also everything had a removable battery so you never had to worry about degradation over time.

Now you have budget phones that are 90% as good as flagships for under $200 new, with better batteries, more efficient processors, and all they're missing are stat-sheet features that nobody actually cares about.

Nah, I have nova prime on my shitty blu phone and it works better than the stock launcher

No, buying something with quick charge capability is reason enough for me to buy a midget/midrange device over a flagship from 2015

According to my phone's self-reported memory usage, Nova Launcher uses 16 MB of RAM on average (over the past day). Clover uses 27 MB. It's nothing.

Granted, I use a single home screen and only one widget.

I'm genuinely tempted by the Redmi Note 4X, but I'm apprehensive about the size.

Currently rocking a BB Q10, but the keyboard has gone to shit and I'm plagued by random reboots. BBOS takes fucking ages to restart, and this phone has served me well.

Will moving to a big phone be too jarring for me, usability-wise? I'm also concerned about fitting in jeans pockets. I don't wear skinny jeans but I'm not rocking fireman/rave pants either.

>he doesn't have a quick circle case

What do I get if I want a non chinkshit 6" replacement for my Nexus 6?

I really don't want to go smaller, I tried 5.7" and it was already too small for me now. I can't go back with my big hands.

What are you, a faggot?

I want a redmi but damn its micro usb.

>Not a single screen protects fits well.
amazon.com/Spigen-Protector-Tempered-Coverage-Hardness/dp/B01N63XLQ6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490847745&sr=8-4&keywords=pixel xl glass screen protector

I have this screen protector and it's great. I've had it applied since January and it's been flawless.

>iPhone 6 started acting up a couple days ago
>screen started getting a grainy white tint to it
>screen is now randomly glitching hard
>reminds me of an old malfunctioning CRT monitor from the way it looks and acts
>is as of right now also occasionally not registering taps or swipes and will sometimes select stuff far away from where I tapped
>need to get a new phone
>want to go back to android
>planning on going prepaid because I don't like contracts
>budget of $300
>don't mind chinkshit as long as the battery is alright and the camera is decent
What's the best phone I could get in my budget? I imagine this one will be kill soon.

Also I'm in the US.

Honor 6X
Get it through Jet cause they have a 15% off coupon for the first 3 purchases, and you end up getting it for $212.50

Moto G4

I just want to see my waifu again, but things keep crashing and taking the wallpaper down with it.

Sounds to me like an old Samsung acting like an old Samsung

Get a new phone

Alright, I'll look into it. Would it be worth it to consider an older Galaxy or Note at all?

I say no because you don't get a quick charge equivalent like you would with newer phones

My one concern with the Honor 6X is that it does not have gorilla glass. The screen scratches very easily. If you're super careful and always use a screen protector, probably fine.

Alright. Looking into the Honor 6x right now and it seems nice. Now I just need to figure out which plan I want. It's [CURRENT YEAR]+2 and It seems like most carriers cover even my nowhere corner of the rural Midwest with LTE so it looks like that won't be an issue. I'd like unlimited data but 10gb or more that gets throttled afterwards is fine too.

Expanding on this, if you're a Prime member, pre-orders for the new G5 Plus are 185 for the 2GB RAM version with lock screen adds, but other wise the specs are pretty sound

H2O wireless has a $50 plan for 10GB and a $60 plan for 12GB, 10% with autopay on AT&Ts network

Guys it's almost april when does Moto G5 comes out in Canada?

Yeah I'll get a screen protector on it. I haven't used one on my 6 because I haven't needed it.

*10% off with autopay

What is the best phone I can get if I just want a lot of storage space and a good camera?

Internal space or combined?
Budget?

Best camera = Pixel.

If you're on a budget, adjust accordingly. Galaxy S7 is under $400 used and is also very good, and it has a micro SD slot.

Internal space mainly
Budget of around $500, can go over though

Zuk Z2 Pro

Android is almost 100% proprietary these days, any Nexus or Pixel is nothing more than a whole bunch of closed source binaries so your "custom OS" is basically just reskinned Android running the exact same closed source binaries.

And the camera lens randomly shatters. Avoid.

Is the 6x the same size as the regular 6? I'm looking at screen protectors and only see them for the 6 and 6+.

/comfynote4/ reporting in

>No wireless charging
>No expandable memory
>Not water resistant

Fuck the Pixel XL, returned mine after a week. On a Moto G4 now that I got for 50 bucks off CL.

Just Pre ordered the S8+. My only wish is they put front facing speakers like the Axon 7 has.

Are there any water resistant budget phones?

Honor 6X
>Also known as Huawei Mate 9 Lite, Huawei GR5 2017

Preordered it also. S8+ in black. Super tempted by that purple but I had the thought that it might just piss me off after a while, and black goes with everything.

I'm a T-Mobile sales rep so I'm sort of considering it a work expense? I did fucking fabulous on my commission check for March (enough for three S8s) so I guess I'm kinda treating myself, too.

I'm excited.

Awesome, thanks user

That's a beige phone

Would have bought it if it didn't have such poor software and the back is ugly as fuck.

Axon 7 and htc 10 were the only decent phones for audio..hopefully htc will give us stereo front speakers with the ocean

inb4 the ocean is another colossal fuck up like the ultra

The software is much better now on Nougat 7.1.1. Just use a case to cover the back

Samsung a9 pro or moto z play? Both are same price

A9 Pro has better specs, Moto Z Play has stock android. If you don't mind touchwiz then A9 Pro is the better choice.

UUUU

Is Net10 any good? I'm looking at a comparison of most prepaid plans and on paper they look pretty good.

I'm in California. Want to pre-order, so I guess I could shoot some commission money to a fellow autist. Problem is I'm hearing AT&T is offering $750 off a second s8 purchase. Seems like T-mobile has shit for deals right now. Will they match AT&T? Is it better to go through Costco or vest buy or some shit? T-mobile also had a by one get one free for the s7 phones in December. Should I just wait for that same shot with the s8? I have an s7 edge now.

I'm going to buy an S8 at launch. That thing looks sexy as fuck.

It overcharges for what you can get elsewhere

Vest, by, shot
Best, buy, shit

> (You)
>A9 Pro has better specs, Moto Z Play has stock android. If you don't mind touchwiz then A9 Pro is the better choice.

I guess I'll go with the a9 pro then, I've used a note 5 of a friend and the interface was alright, he was using nova tho, he did uninstall some of samsung's/carrier bloat as well

I thought (you) was (me).

> (You)
>I thought (you) was (me).
Was you (you) or was (me) me

> #
>> # (You)
>>A9 Pro has better specs, Moto Z Play has stock android. If you don't mind touchwiz then A9 Pro is the better choice.
> #
>I thought (you) was (me).
> (You) #
>> # (You)
>>I thought (you) was (me).
>Was you (you) or was (me) me

I'm talking about a (you) within a (you).
>Inception? It's impossible.
>You didn't! Did (YOU(you))!?
>*gasp*

You have absolutely no idea of what you’re talking about

gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2016&nRamMin=3000&fDisplayInchesMin=5.9

Anyone has a V20? In fucking love with the phone's design and I don't want to spend a lot of money. Any alternative you guys would suggest?

Okay I'm a massive weeb and really want this phone but it looks like the only way to get it is with a Japanese plan. Is there any way I could get one and have it work with US prepaid networks?

OK /spg/, tell me why I shouldn't buy the LeEco Le Pro3.
I am planning on installing an AOSP based ROM and don't often use 3.5mm jacks.

What's special about it? Looks like any other phone. Japan has completely different network bands than the US so I doubt it would work there anyway.

I just like the design. I could just get an Xperia but the XZ has a shitty cheap design and I can't find a Z5 Premium that isn't from Hong Kong.