Explain why you aren't using Gentoo anymore, Sup Forums

Explain why you aren't using Gentoo anymore, Sup Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened_musl/Bluedragon
funtoo.org/Rootfs_over_encrypted_lvm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i really cant be fucked compiling

cuz
> wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened_musl/Bluedragon

meem

I wish I could drop that shit. But nooo I had to include my overlay in layman and now people are actually using it. Fuck this shit, I'm too much of a pussy to just let that get unmaintained. Oh well, I would have come back anyway, like all the other times I ditched gentoo. It's like an addiction.

Why not Source Mage?

I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.

Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.

See the GNU distros list for the distros that I do recommend.

Fuck off Stallmanite

Not good

But I am. It's the best Linux distro

to good not to be used

I wanted to make a home server on my old netbook out of it.
I couldn't find good tutorial on full disk encryption, so I replaced it with Arch. Unfortunately Arch is dropping 32bit support and I might be forced to use Gentoo again. Anyone knows how to setup dm-crypt? Arch has literally two commands for it to work.

too much hassle..

ubuntu mate is my distro of choice, easy to use, clean, no bloat, PPAs when i need more recent software.

It just doesn't werk

Slackware is superior to Gentoo.

funtoo.org/Rootfs_over_encrypted_lvm
Funtoo is pretty close to gentoo. Installed an encrypted gentoo setup with this.

I have one laptop that is running Gentoo with ACCEPT_LICENCE="* -GPL-3" and has been stripped off all the GNU packages, even the kernel (with some patches) is compiled with clang/llvm. Fucking hippies are ruining the Linux and giving it a bad name.

>I couldn't find good tutorial on full disk encryption, so I replaced it with Arch
so close, all you needed to do is:
>I couldn't find good tutorial on full disk encryption, so I replaced it with Arch tutorial
If you are using LUKS then the genkernel can build you a working initrd easily, if in plain mode then write your own init script and make your own initrd (which was suprisingly easy to do)

this tbqh
Gentoo is nice otherwise.

But on a modern system compile times are no longer an issue. For example in 2007 I had to wait all night to do something like emerge gcc but now it only takes less than 20 minutes.

Try to compile firefox then
Fucking 56 hours on atom laptop and still doesn't work reliably

He actually cares about people!

there are binaries available for FF

I dont recall the exact time but Firefox took less than approximately 25 minutes

takes like 15min or less on a 5 year old i7
chromium on the other hand takes over an hour

Superior CPU power you have
I was disappointed by Firefox and Libreoffice, but twas only N455 kek, only a tiny fraction of i7, even if it's 5 years old

>atom laptop
Stop being dumb. Even an impoverished budget can stretch a dual core processor.

Well, not a laptop but budget 10" netbook which are not available with cpus other then atom.
Why invest in hw if precompiled FF in Debian performs better? btfo

I built a gaming PC that runs Window 10 and my other box for fucking around on runs FreeBSD.

got fed up waiting for chromium to compile

reminder that compile times are practically meaningless except for the first install as they can be run in the background with priorities set so that it makes the process completelly unnoticable

But I do on my desktop

that doesn't take long on a modern i7 cpu unless you're a ramlet

t. compiles chromium embedded every few weeks for work

takes about 2 hours