Daily reminder that CRT screens are the true redpill of computer visualization

Daily reminder that CRT screens are the true redpill of computer visualization.

>long life span
>don't break
>doesn't cause cancer like plasma and leds
>better image quality
>no high hz refresh rate meme

Prove me wrong.

PS: You can't.

>>doesn't cause cancer like plasma and leds
>>better image quality

Lol

>Fires x-ray radiation from the screen
>Doesn't cause cancer
Pick one

Whatever you say, grandpa

>heavy
>hot
>large
>convex screen
>fucking heavy as shit
>awkward resolutions on most common models, bigger resolutions extremely hard to find
>power consumption
>desk-bendingly heavy

but hey at least its good for fighting games and stuff

lol yeah, how do you explain that i can't stare in a CRT monitor for more than 8 hours compared to ~15 on leds?

CRTs WERE good years ago when a 100/120hz monitor would cost you a shit load of money, and even back then they were worth it for FPS games, nothing more really.

Nowadays not even the most retro hardcore fps gaymer doesn't use CRTs because better and obvious choices exist.

>tfw i like the few CRTs i have lying around but i cant use them much because my eyes start to hurt after an hour or so

>tfw my 7 or so years old U2412M is starting to die on me
;_;

also forgot
>not very bright
>small physical display size
>lower res, lower refresh rate than less expensive LCD screens
>screen flicker and eye strain
also they're fragile if you drop them because you can't get a proper hold on the awkward size and the weight causes it to slip through your fingers and fall down the stairs

>Nowadays not even the most retro hardcore fps gaymer doesn't use CRTs because better and obvious choices exist.
come on now, personally i think CRTs are ridiculous but you can't deny legions of hipster wannabes and /vr/-type nostalgiafags swear by them

Nah CRTs were pretty high res by the end of the 90s, they just didn't get the useful aspect ratios we have today.

>Free passive heating in the winter
>Free exercise when you want to move it even the slightest bit

6/10, made me post

No because TN is

>cheap
>durable
>just werks
>perfect compromise, no serious drawbacks

>Nowadays not even the most retro hardcore fps gaymer doesn't use CRTs because better and obvious choices exist.
Wrong.

People don't use CRTs anymore because they're hard to find, and contrary to what OP says, they wear out and break.

If I could buy a brand new high end CRT today, I would prefer it over anything else.

>that fucking sound they made
good riddance

CRT computer monitors don't make any sound.

Yeah they did, high power + age = dying capacitor whine.

I'm glad for you you couldn't hear it.

>sound
I'm not a fucking bat

come in eastern europe and i'll sell you 10 of them, barely fucking used.

Sorry to say this, but it's the first time i've heard this shit and it sounds retarded.

If that is truly the case in US, if so many people were interested in buying CRTs for whatever reasons, i bet there would still be at least one company to make some.

The thing is nobody wants to TRANSPORT them because they're retarded heavy and made of glass. Also without any scale they're pricy again.

Still got a Bang & Olufsen TV from '98 (beovision mx6000). This will be the best TV I'll ever own and I already dread the moment it breaks and have to buy a TV that looks as shitty as our current phones and monitors.

CRT televisions made noise, because of the flyback transformer oscillating at 15.75khz. VGA monitors oscillate at a minimum of 31.25khz, well outside of the audible range for humans.

Made me reply. Fuck you.

TV's probly did whine. I don't remember. But it was the capacitors.

>cheap
>durable
>has a semblence of viewing angles
no such tn exists

No it's the fly-back transformer.

>used to be CRT fag
>green cast across screen
>buy new
>blue cast across screen
>get frustrated
>buy 24" IPS never look back

CRTs are cool and shit, but they are inconvenient as fuck. if you're into using CRTs, maybe as a photo or video editor, that is completely fine. if you like to use CRTs for their """""high""""" (depending) refresh rates or whatever, that's also fine. but dont call that shit the "true redpill of computer visualization", when it's just a pain in the ass. btw, 4:3 isnt even comfy, and good luck finding a 16:9/16:10 CRT that isn't going to cost you out of the ass, isnt used, and doesnt weight 120lbs

>protip: you cant

enjoy the headaches tho OP :+)

I'm also from eastern europe and there's just as many of these still in use by various businesses and schools as there are old ones in storage.

From my experience of looking at them for 20+ years, they're just buzzing eye cancer.

Nostalgia driving people to say how FPS gaming or something is just superior on these monitors. Yeah of course a high refresh rate is great, but did you forget about the blur and the flicker in dark rooms? Or how it attracts dust like the 20kW dust magnet it is?

>
>they just didn't get the useful aspect ratios we have today
>imblygn 16:9/10 is better than 4:3

Have fun repairing one of those CRT monitors, if one were to fail at some point
>protip:
Touch the capacitor :^). I dare you to touch it :^^^^^^^^)

lol did you never play hot potato with CRT capacitors as a kid?

>turn on CRT monitor
>eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

>turn on crt
>the light get dimmer for a second
>it starts buzzing
>the high frequency noise is unbearable
>somebody was touching my analogue potentiometers so the image is warped in unimaginable ways
>touch the screen
>it feels like a tesla coil
>the hairs on my hand turn towards the screen
>mfw kids today will never experience this

You're not very good at this meme, are you. You're supposed to imply that only one benefit can be obtained, yet you present one benefit and one disadvantage. Unless firing x-ray radiation from the screen is a good thing, it is obvious that the benefit of not causing cancer would be chosen over it.

this guy is right, I am a vr fag with crt tv's and monitors for old games. Flyback makes the whine.

the only sounds my monitors make is the zrrt-BWANG-fsh when they degausses at power on.

You can touch anything on a crt safely if you stick your finger under the suction cup looking thing on the tube to isolate yourself from the circuit.

>reflections
>barrel/pincushion distortion
>color divergence in corners
>usable screen size is 1-2" less than advertised
>shit black unless you're in a completely dark room

but user I want cancer, that's why I come into shitpost threads

but most CRTs go at 85 Hz in their native res, and i bought a CRT specifically to get 144 Hz (by lowering the resolution)
1280x1024 @ 85 Hz
1024x768 @ 115 Hz
800x600 @ 144 Hz
640x480 @ 160 Hz (the absolute maximum for NEC FE990)

>Mfw 1600x1200@85hz
>1900x1440@73hz

But can I get a 40" CRT with digital connectors that support 4k at 60Hz or more?

why can't some manufacturer just start manufacturing CRTs by modern standards
>too pricey
no shit, that's why it would be an expensive niche product

>he thinks CRTs have crap image quality
*retarded shitposter*

*kys*

why would someone pay probably a multiple thousands of dollars for a newly manufactured crt when they could get an old one that's just as good for nothing?

>he is le buttmayd because crts are better than """"""muh 144hz ips maymay gayman lcday"""""

Yep that's pretty much the reply of a person who has run out of arguments.

that's why i said
>modern standards

we could have 9001Hz displays today

Nigga what? If you're going to shit post do it right. This was the one thing CRTs where good at.

It is better for desktops. Square resolutions are for portables. Apple got it.

>Square resolutions are for portables
wat?

>Have work laptop
>Be 4:3

Comfy as fuck

>This was the one thing CRTs where good at.
@800x600

I'm not in 1995 and I don't have an IBM laptop.

>most CRTs go at 85 Hz in their native res
>native res
underage retard spotted

They had a wide range of refresh rates at different resolutions. They were all tuned to different shit. 1080p at 85hz in 1999 is pretty great.

>4:3 is outdated and bad because it's old
yeah right.

Using a magnet on the screen to get that funky ball of color was sweet tho

It's old fashioned. You don't see movies in the cinema in 4:3, do you?

You don't see them at 16:9 in the cinema either.

So? This is about work, not movies.

>doesn't cause cancer

Last time I've checked, CRTs were the ones with radiation.

>Ipad
>ipad pro
>surface book
>chromebooks
>12-14 inch pre-2008 laptops

>shit
>shit
>meme
>kek, you even trying?
>so, 10 year old laptops.. kay..

If 4:3 was so good, what monitors are currently in the market for that purpose?

>4:3 meme came out because of all poorfag computers in 80's had to be hooked up to a TV set
>various Unix terminals were actually wide to fit long lines of code
>xerox alto had portrait orientation
>Carmack had 1080p CRT back in 1995

Literally every laptop but I don't think 4:3 is very good.

>less expensive LCD screens
>less
>expensive
>LCD screens
Tell me more

>$500 for only 50 CRT monitors in bulk
Not impressed

Where and what kind?
I'm interested.

>i bet there would still be at least one company to make some
People that want CRTs just buy them used. Companies always jump on the latest tech bandwagon to save their profits so there's little hope for an actual business being built around that.

>normies don't use it so it's bad
spotted the windowcuck

>implying the company where I work it's so shitty it uses mimux

Now that high-end LCD monitors can do 144Hz the only reason to use CRT monitors is to play games at non-native resolutions without the image looking like shit.

CRT are still usefull when you want a ZERO input lag display.

I have a SONY 32in 720p TV connected to my game consoles and the zero input lag makes a noticeable difference.

All this lag is considered normal now, it's discusting.

>I have a SONY 32in 720p TV connected to my game consoles and the zero input lag makes a noticeable difference.
HD CRT TVs have image processing that will cause input lag.

This, it's what I use mine for.

Actually when you think of it, 4k CRTs would be easier to manifacture. The resolution is really only limited by the grill and incoming signal.

don't CRTs historically have better colors too?
and less ghosting?

>headache even from 100hz
>power draw through the roof
>gigantic bulky box

wew led seems like you are stucked in 2003

please volunteer for gas chamber testing.

/thread

>prove me wrong
>implying anyone has one

OLED should surpass CRT in time

Seriously 4:3 is so much better than 16:9/10

21:9 master race

i'm still mad at going to 16:10 and even madder at 16:9

On the Sony Trinitron you can disable aloof that processing. You still get it with an HDMI connection but not with component.

FYI the super fine pitch Trinitrons could do just under 1080p, something like 1035p that's at 60fps and 60hz and have no trouble down sampling.

Some of the CRT monitors we capable of over 200hz and some could do native 2k resolution all with no lag.

>play madden on crt tv
>can't even read playbook

>What is Van Eck phreaking
OP you are dumb

Is there a 1080p CRT monitor? Just asking, I don't really know. If there is, damn, where???

OOOOOOOH, SNAP!

>as in "user, your desk snapped under the weight of your CRT

>don't break
They can explode spontaneously
>better image quality
this is bait

If CRTs are so good why did they stop making them?