Did i get ripped off?

Did i get ripped off?

If you have to ask then the answer is always yes.

Fat fuck

I can't help but lel seeing that
So this is how you make money

Holy shit 85 an hour? I'm in the wrong line of work

>disabled automatic sleep mode

What? Why?

you don't want your SSD's disks stopping do you? it takes time for them to start up again so it's slower

they forgot to download more ram op

I doubt it matters. Besides if it doesn't sleep it just drains battery quicker

Everything they said about capacitors is 100% BS. They're either using the wrong words to describe something they did or they just made it all up to add filler to the invoice.

>manually drained capacitor
kek

85 an hour is very cheap labor
you got ripped off because you paid someone to fix your own shit

>diagnosed slow hard drive.
This takes a trained professional , putting those $$ to work op

>Drained capacitor
He what.

lol this faggot has never even seen a capacitor

>$25 tax
lmao how is life in commiefornia?

capacitors have electricity stored in them retard
whens something fucks up usually a capacitor has to be drained
this only takes about half a second to do though

300 fucking USD. LMAO.

no op you did good :^)

What the FUCK did he mean by this.

> manually drained capacitor

Wat?

Why the fuck why did you not install the SSD yourself? Also, what kind of fucking fix is "disabled sleep state"?

I don't think this is you, but the guy who got this DID get ripped off.

>This really drains my capacitors

I know, but, why?

yes

I think the worst part is that they actually replaced the ssd, but they managed to clone his old one. Wouldn't that mean that the one that got replaced was actually functional?

what capacitor? where? $85!!!!! you could've just bought the damned drive and plugged it in yourself! I would go back and ask what fucking capacitor they are speaking of.

Forgetting to drain capacitors is what causes infections.

kek

>Did i get ripped off?
f you don't know how to do simple shit, the answer is no.

Gig gud faggit

You realize a capacitor a) does not hold the charge very long b) cannot hold more charge than the specs anyway.

How the fuck does this make a difference and if the capcitor is broken (very real possibility, but somehow I doubt these guys did anything even related to capacitors) how does "draining" it as oppoed to replacing the component help.?

Ok fucktard but at what point does he actually repair the problem with the sleep state? All he does is disable automatic sleep mode. He'd need to replace the bad cap. Which obviously didn't happen so he paid the guy $170 to clone a HDD to SSD and disable sleep mode.

>tfw i wiped and reinstalled windows, installed a second storage drive for him, and wrote a 2 page readme for a computer illiterate and only made 50 bucks

>niggers don't drain their capacitors weekly
does Sup Forums even know anything about computers?

I think they cloned an HDD on to the SSD

Someone send this to Louis.

Well, its not like the tech's get that. They are probably paid like 20 an hour, or less.

I helped a guy plug in his wireless keyboard and mouse, and connect his iPhone to his home wifi and got paid $20.

I'm gonna drain my capacitors inside ur mom u cheeky shit.

You got hustled son, I would've charged at least $40

HAHAHAHAH THEY INSTALLED A HARD DRIVE AND MADE UP BS LOL
>this is standard business practice

I'm curious, what brand of SSD did they install, OP. I bet they made a profit off that as well.

>in america

Wait shit, he did actually end up giving me $40 now that I recall

I bet you are the kind of shitposter that thinks Nvidia is gimping drivers
maybe you should try draining your capacitors before benchmarking

>tfw it would be illegal to do this sort of shit here
I'd be a fucking millionaire if I lived in the Land of the Free.

driver gimping is not a meme

Newfag here, how do you drain capacitors

>inb4 lurk more

It could soon be illegal here if someone wise enough challenged them in some civil suit or something.

this. do they literally use a voltage meter on each capacitor like louis rossmann?

>manually drain capacitors

Do capacitors not drain themselves when power is not supplied?

When you don't discharge a capacitor in a power supply, it can easily electrocute you, as they are usually charged with 110V/220V and take days in discharging because no load to discharge them.

So you discharge them with a little resistor to operate on the power supply.

Yeah, but that would only result in banning the draining of capacitors. Not ripping off customers.
USA USA USA

They slowly lose charge over time. There are quick drains in CRT capacitors because they have the potential to fucking kill you.

>240 gib ssd
>$99
>all of that bullshit "technical" rhetoric
>$300 for everything
sounds like a great deal, for the tech support that is. As for you OP, congratulations for being technically illiterate and funding these people.

storage drives are not power supplies, retard

By the way,
>Incorrect voltages on a capacitor
They were messing in your power supply for some reason.

>Diagnosed slow hard drive
Smells like bullshit.

Welp, it's your money so I don't care.

No. The power has nowhere to go and thus slowly dissipates. But this shit is dumb, just put a resistor to it and it drains in a second. Not worth more than 5 bucks tops.

I charge $15 for that.

>They slowly lose charge over time
If you consider a second or two slow, then OK.

You're not getting paid enough.

It would make no sense to have the capacitors manually discharged then.

Yes, you could have easily googled or had a tech savy friend complete the work. You could have spent $0.

>tfw forgot to drain my capacitors

I am from a third world country to.

>Incorrect voltages on a capacitor
A super quick drain, but worse of they didn't actually fix the problem, something overcharged that cap. unless they're just making it up.

>Diagnosed slow hard drive
Something they probably do on all hdd machines, just to get to sell a ssd and add another hour of labour or two. Obviously not the problem with the machine, they really should ask you first before demanding you pay.

Basically, pretty much all computer repairs are con artists in this way.

>Not worth more than 5 bucks tops.

Resister $0.05.
Where to put the resistor? $200.00

If the computer can sleep now, or not, you got a good repair.

I would have charged $175.

Everyone else can just fuck off.

Thank god that software audit is not a thing here.

You can't buy ssd youself?

No. A big capacitor can hold on to a charge for several hours. Aside from that, it's always safe practice to make sure it's drained first. Respect electricity.

>Where to put the resistor? $200.00
No.

> diagnosed incorrect voltages on a capactior
> manually drained capacitor
W H A T D I D H E M E A N B Y T H I S ?

or be a good friend and at least buy him a pizza for doing it

or u could be cheap and make bean stew for him or give him the succ

This is why you look for freelance computer techs, he would have charged you like $100 for labor.

Capacitors store voltage even after disconnected from power. They will slowly leak the voltage out over time due to imperfect conditions.

Fuck off and stop samefagging your stupid Sup Forums meme.

He unplugged the computer and pressed the power button a few times to get rid of the remaining charge. That's worth 89 an hour.

I charge 89 an hour for a simple clone job like that. Everything before the actual cloning just seems like techno mumbo jumpbo desu. Remember that I might only be paid 15 bucks an hour, but that 89 dollars covers the time I stand around doing nothing in between customers as well. + My employer have to cover losses made through sales, electricity, and insurance.

You don't seem like a dumbfuck, what's stopping you from becoming self employed?

>(((Diagnosed))) slow hard drive

Op here.
Laptop is at least alot faster now.
Everything is super snappy.

Use to take 4 minutes to boot, now its like 30 seconds max.

So, what did they do? Held the power button down for a moment while unplugged and sold you an ssd you didn't ask for?

How large was your original drive?

30 seconds is still long with an ssd.

You could have just bought a new lappy

>85 an hour is very cheap labor
Not really, plenty of smaller shops survive just fine on ~$25-40 an hour.

750gb

And holding down power button did nothing. Battery was internal so i couldn't unplug it.

If it's Windows it depends how much he's bogged it down. If it's Mac or Linux then it's definitely still pretty long.

Big time.

>Battery was internal so i couldn't unplug it.
Jesus.

Take the fucking back off, and unplug it there you complete idiot. How do you function in life? What kind of low-paying job do you do?

I make double that

Your company does.*

I don't want to deal with customers on my own. Especially private individuals. The kind of abuse they can throw your way for daring to charge as little as 20 dollars for 15-30 minutes of your time is soul crushing.

Maybe dealing with businesses is better.

literally just short them with a screwdriver ffs

oh my fucking god. you paid 170$ for a hard drive swap. literally one of the most basic things...you didnt even get to choose your hard drive i bet either

Hibernate fucks with SSD's longevity, because it constantly reads and writes

>bad sleep state
>incorrect voltages on a capacitor
>manually drained capacitor
>disabled automatic sleep mode
yeah you fucked up

hibernate != sleep

the "pro" way is to give them a load, like a lightbulb or led, but you can just short them with anything basically.

He said sleep not hibernate

>He unplugged the computer and pressed the power button a few times to get rid of the remaining charge.
>That's worth 89 an hour.
kek

Longevity isn't really a big concern with modern SSDs in normal use.

those niggers barely get any work though