Post legitimately good reasons why you're not running Arch, the best Linux distribution?

Post legitimately good reasons why you're not running Arch, the best Linux distribution?

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I work

>(You)

>systemd
>kernel has proprietary blobs
>glibc
>void and gentoo exist

Because it's a pain in the ass to install and maintain.

>systemd
>i'm not a pedo

Manjaro exists

I'm skinny

Cause Ubuntu is not that much worse and it's easy for me because I don't know how to use the CMD

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>uses linux
>doesn't know cli
why tho

>install
valid
>maintain
do you prefer a dist-upgrade to
pacman -Syu?
have not had one breakage in my 1 year of use, but if something did break it would be trivial to find the cause.

this is reasonable.

I'm too dumb

cause that's how people learn.
also *buntu is totally usable with minimal/no cli use, which is good unless you want it to stay below 5% market share.

>on Sup Forums
>not a pedo
pick one

>pacman -Syu

not -Syyu

what does this do

>Passing two --refresh or -y flags will force a refresh of all package lists even if they appear to be up to date.
rtfm

Devs are Systemd's contributor.

But honestly, quite a few sketchy shit. Removal of beginner's guide. Defense of Systemd. Pretending Infinality doesn't exist.

I don't have autism

None of the potential benefits of Arch over my current OS are significant enough to be worth the extra work.

My time is valuable.

>5%
lofty heights

as he browses Sup Forums

Does void/gentoo not use glibc? What do they use then, musl?

but I am

back when i wanted to get into cool loonix i put ucuntu on a spare machine but I never really did anything with it never learned anything and always used gui
at some point i developed a disliking for doobian
later i got an aws ec2 and went with their version of cuntos
all you can do with ec2 is ssh into it (unless you go with winders) so i was forced to use cli
after enough gargling my goals and problems, i got good at cli to a point were i set up a home sever with centos and I'm starting to think about migrating to it from winders cortana spy edition

>tldr forcing cli on myself helped me learn it as opposed to having cli as an option and just using gui

that's fine but that is not viable for non-enthusiasts

I just set up arch linux, what do I do now?

rice

>et into cool loonix i put ucuntu on a spare machine but I never really did anything with it never learned anything and always used gui
>at some point i developed a disliking for doobian
>later i got an aws ec2 and went with t

does manjaro count as arch?

break it

Does ubuntu count as debian?

can i be cool?

I already did somehow.

I installed nvidia-340xx drivers during setup but then switched to the regular nvidia packages, and now my cinnamon only starts in software rendering mode and gives me a popup about that everytime.

Do you need to do something special if you switch graphics drivers?

Because I'm using Antergos. I'm too lazy to install Arch, but I want the benefits of a bleeding edge gnu/linux distro and pacman is pretty good too.

i would consider myself to be more of a hobbyist rather than an enthusiast

>slackware exists

>unless you want it to stay below 5% market share.
I do. Fuck the illiterate majority.

because Ubuntu does everything Arch can do without having to do anything. reasons why i stopped using Arch

Because it and its devs are anti-user, and are lazy to the point of implementing systemd out of sheer convenience: lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

I do use it, but I have my setups configured to use openrc and not systemd.

I prefer Ubuntu Server

>doesn't have the AUR
>isn't rolling release
>half the wiki pages are out of date

>implementing systemd out of sheer convenience
Isn't this why pretty much all Linux distros use systemd?

That is a dickish post, but he's not totally wrong. However, you are right that they are only using systemd because it is less work for the devs. Basically every distro that switched to systemd did so for the same reason.

Arch is a joke distro which is made to teach schoolkids CLI, it's never employed in production by serious companies. Every developed distro has a minimal installer up to installing an OS from a chroot environment, for example Ubuntu Core or debootstrap, schoolkids don't know about it, they think that there's only a GUI installer in Ubuntu and Debian.

Gentoo is a professional distro with a high level of flexibility through the robust established compilation toolchain, the unified interface for compilation flags in the portage system, good tools for kernel compilation. For example Google uses Gentoo as a base for Chrome OS.

To cut long story short, Arch is for pajeets who can't manage their time but who want to show that they know CLI, Gentoo is for professional engineers who want a reliable and flexible system.

I run arch but I would never recommend it to anybody I care about. It's an unstable piece of shit that happens to be the only distro with a publicly maintained software repository.

STFU, it's just lies.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

The first time I used pacman -Syu my system broke and I couldn't fix it after a week of searching.
Installed Mint in its place and now I can't remember the last time I had any kind of trouble with my computer.

I am

4 hours of uptime on a laptop. Hobby distribution confirmed.

Gentoo is more flexible and more stable.

whats having life outside of computer

It's the Ubuntu of "power" users. If I had to do with Arch what I do with Gebtoo, I would lose my sleep

>not aliasing to pacupg
normies everywhere

>uptime
>laptop

You can use musl on both

musl is about 10000000 times better than glibc anyways

stop this shit

Who gives a fuck about what he thinks?

who gives a fuck about what YOU think

>pain to install
>implying people actually install manually

it's 2017, people use installers now.

But the question remains, who the fuck are you to tell me what I should think?

>I like having Wine up to date because it still doesn't work particularly well
>I like not having to compile my own libraries all the time, like I had to on Debian
>rolling release is nice
>up to date kernel
>Antergos installer was one of the nicest ones I've used

On the other hand
>proprietary software is just mixed into the repo without any warning
>pacman -Syu fails randomly for stupid reasons
>systemd
>pacman's arguments seem to have been inspired by tar

>not using antergos or arch anywhere
The effort of maintaining it so far has just been running pacman -Syu every few days and maybe running one or two commands when pacman -Syu fails for some stupid reason.
I've been using it since October and I haven't had an update kill it yet.

I wanted to use manjaro, but it kernel panicked on boot

is it faster? glibc has been pretty stable for me. I don't know what else you'd want.

Void is the biggest fucking meme ever.

Why invent yet another package manager that isn't functional like nix/guix? ENOUGH!

Literally nothing is wrong with glibc.

Because ubuntu is a better learning-platform. Best forum. Ubuntu suits every type of user, beginner or expert, doesn't matter. Ubuntu, in general, is a more stable and better suited distro for drivers and hardware, which I like. It's based on Debian which is an old beast and the mother to many good distro like Ubuntu. And those who complains about Unity. It's easy to use another desktop environment for Ubuntu. Gnome is even supported now.

>Because ubuntu is a better learning-platform. Best forum. Ubuntu suits every type of user, beginner or expert, doesn't matter
Arch has the Arch Wiki. I look at the Arch Wiki when I have problems with Ubuntu. It's that good.

The differences between Arch and Ubuntu aren't significant enough that your average Ubuntu forums answer wouldn't apply to both. It's only when you get into stuff that a new user shouldn't be modifying anyway, that you start finding differences.

>a more stable and better suited distro for drivers and hardware
I used Ubuntu for a year and I ran into a lot of really strange problems. I gave up and installed debian when my Ubuntu stopped being able to shut down. I never had any stability issues with Debian, apart from some bullshit caused by Cinnamon; if stability is your goal, debian seems like the way to go.

Arch is honestly the most "just werks" distro there is thanks to the Wiki and AUR. It's only a meme distro because of its obtuse installer (which is 90% busywork and following instructions anyway).

I think most people can agree that Arch Wiki is amazing and helps a lot of Linux users regardless of distro.

AUR is a library/wikipedia while Ubuntu forum is a forum. There is a slight difference. However, you can find almost everything you need in the AUR, which is good. but not direct answers on direct questions which make Ubuntu more user-friendly. Which is a huge factor for many programmers.

Debian is very stable, and most people say it's more stable than Ubuntu. That being said, the driver support in Ubuntu is of the best quality you can find in Linux, for instance nvidia drivers.

All in all, Ubuntu and Debian is very similar. Arch is not. Arch is bleeding egde. Rip.

>but not direct answers on direct questions which make Ubuntu more user-friendly. Which is a huge factor for many programmers.
Ask on one of the StackExchange sites for Unix questions then? They also have a specific subsite for only Ubuntu questions.

>for instance nvidia drivers
They only support Ubuntu, but I haven't found a distro that they don't run on.

I don't fall for memes. I use Linux Mint.

good one

I'm having a great time on Manjaro desu famalampai

It fails at delivering the exact thing its 1337 fanbase uses it for: Mininalism.
It uses systemd and is extrenely unstable. It also has binary blobs in the kernel like mentioned. On top of all this deletes random config files with no prompt. (inb4 i've never had any problems!!:D). For real minimalism and speed use gentoo or funtoo.

>be me
>fall for arch meme
>boot up
>breaks

not worth the headache

I don't want it to break and I'm not a programmer so I have no reason to use something so unstable. Post a legitimately good reason why I should even use it if all I use my computer for is web browsing, text editing, music, image browsing, and watching video. Linux already sucks at most of those things, using something as complicated and unfriendly as Arch would just make it even worse.

most programmers don't use arch either

Because I use something better.
Enjoy your Arch botnet faggots.

is void even in an usable state?
>old mpv package
>no python3 package
those were the ones I noticed

>not running gentoo, so you can run pacman and all of its repos full of bullshit binary blob pkgs, along side portage the be all end all pkg manager
what a pleb

>pain in the ass to install
maybe
> and maintain
no

Because im running OS X, the best Linux distro ever.

>not pacman -Syyuu
What a pleb