I just blew a paycheck on this, please justify my decision or give me buyers remorse

I just blew a paycheck on this, please justify my decision or give me buyers remorse

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Cy9yRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/mTN2f8
pcpartpicker.com/list/n6C9Ps
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80751.0
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F85G25908&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Processors - Desktops-_-9SIA2F85G25908&gclid=CjwKEAjw_PfGBRDW_sutqMbQsmMSJAAMpUapS8NPn-AA02AC1kiwRNqac-IRrncNbs84jYKkExSorBoCU9fw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why are so many retards buying i5s in the last few weeks?

I don't really do anything that would justify an i7 or even an i5, I assume it will run dwarf fortress fine

>Not waiting for Ryzen 5
Niiiiiiiiiice. Memes you got there buddy.

problem is you didn't wait for 6core/12thread ryzen

Your paychecks are only 750$?
I'm sorry my dude

>buying computer shit literally 1 week before new shit comes out

wew lad

>16gb
laughing_mexican_man.jpeg

You didn't get a hard drive or SSD?

If he's only using it for gaming, the better single core performance of the i5 will matter.

where are the kneesocks?

Why the fuck have DDR4 prices skyrocketed? I don't see any news about a factory burning down or anything. The most relevant theory I found was that smartphones are starting to use DDR4 so prices are going up from the demand. Was it like this when smartphones started to use DDR3?

>Ryzen 7 with 8 cores can barely keep up with the quad core i7
>"Hey guys, after dropping 25% of its cores, the Ryzen 5 will surely kill the i5 which only loses hyperthreading!"

>Buying a 4 thread processor in 2017

TOP KEK

Seems mostly fine. RAM is priced a bit high though.

Nice heatsink choice. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Come on man, Ryzen 5 is waiting around the corner. It is literally less than two weeks away from coming out. April 11th dude.

Even if you just want 4 cores, the 4c8t R5 1500x only costs $190. You already have relatively fast ram which will boost Ryzen's fps further.

It even comes with a Wraith Spire which is capable of getting the 8c16t R7 1700 to 3.9 Ghz.

You don't even need a high-end board to get a nice overclock on air. That 3.9 Ghz overclock I mentioned was done on a mid-range B350 board of all things, which only costed $110. It's the Gigabyte Gaming 3 if you're wondering.

You could have saved $113 and put that towards a better graphics card like a GTX 1070. Or you could've just pocketed that extra cash.

- - -

At the very least, there will likely be more i5 sales down the road after the Ryzen 5 release.

RAM has gone up a bit

And to add to this, that $113 could have been used for an SSD.

like 90% chance that that mobo will not come pre-loaded with the BIOS to support the 7xxx series i5. better have an older cpu or return it and get something else

Lol these shills

Cmon man plz wait for ryzen

I already got the SSD meme a while ago

Z170 Chipset MoBo with KabyLake Processor.
Enjoy trying to find a skylake Processor so you can update the bios because it will not work with your KabyLake

>z170
Well at least the bios chip is socketed.

other than needing a bios chip to post it looks fine.

I can't update the bios without a different cpu?

what's the latest chipset then for kaby lake

>the better single core performance of the i5 will matter
It won't with a fucking GTX 1060. You gaymers are retarded.

Remember it's not even a fucking i7 it's 4/4 trash.
at least I got mine 1.5 years ago.
t. 6600k user

>got a z170 with a kabylake

lol you're fucking retard OP

better buy a newer motherboard that is for kabylake and return this z170 when it arrives.

also gett a better cooler dumb fuck

It depends on the game.

>I'm a fucking retard and considering an i3/i5 because I don't think a G4560 is good enough
>or I'm more retarded and think I can get nearly the performance in gaymes and general PC use from a 6700k as a 7700 non-k by overclocking it (protip: I can't)
>$1345
No, you have no fucking clue what you're doing.
Get a 7700-nonk. It's a bit lower clocked, but its 8 threads at 3.6-4.2ghz is better than a 7600k at 4.9Ghz on average without costing you lots of on electricity. It's locked, but you weren't even going to overclock it anyway.
pcpartpicker.com/list/Cy9yRG

Compare that to people listing $1450 for a fucking 7600k with a 1080. $100 cheaper, way better memory, better SSD, better everything.

>I want like that above, but I think moar coars will pay off better with future games, overclockable, and the extra upgradability that comes with AM4 socket support
Same thing, but swap out the 7700 for a 1600 or 1600X that are coming April 11th and a B350 motherboard. If 1600X, add a cooler.
Should be ~$50 cheaper. Better in some games, worse in others. Much better multitask.

>I want the absolute cheapest that's still good, and has a good upgrade path to upgrade incrementally later.
>1080p 60fps in 95% of games
>$590. $490 if you replace the 525GB SSD with a 1TB HDD
pcpartpicker.com/list/mTN2f8

>I want the cheapest that handles 1440p 60fps minimum well, or that will continue to do 60fps minimum in most games and more current games than the G4560 does
Take the G4560 system and replace the CPU with a 1400 or 1500X that are coming April 11th and a B350 motherboard.
Replace GPU with an R9 Fury ($235) /1070 ($310-$370).

>i'm poor as fuck, but instead of getting an extra job I want to play video games all day
>$300
Refurbished A12-9800 non-pro for

>he paid $240 for a 1060 when you can get a better 8GB RX480 for $150
k e k

This is one of the most overpriced dogshit builds I've ever seen. Literally paying more money for worse performance.

Yes unless the Motherboard manufacturer uodates the bios by itself - which is very unlikeley. You need to update the bios while a Skylake CPU is inserted or it will not detect your Kabylake.
New Chipset it z270 but better hust forget the jewtel meme and just cancel your order and wait for ryzen r5.

Good luck getting refunds on all those returns.

Nah, they're just price colluding, they even put out a joint press release on this

i wish i could keep my comfy i5 2500k forever :(

Ryzen 5 is going to be even more comfy, tho.

I loved my 2500k for a while, but many newer games and even other applications are stutterfests now.

4 threads just isn't enough.

RAM is infamous for wild price fluctuations.

Don't listen to this shill Swap i5 with pentium G4560 then you're good to go.

>i5
>dwarf fortress

Oh, you poor misguided fool

>don't listen to this shill that suggested a G4560
>get a G4560 instead. But keep the overpriced motherboard and GPU.
l m a o
what a fucking retard

fucking dumbass, dwarf fortress is the only reason to have a cpu with the strongest single threaded performance, fastest l3 cache and the RAM with lowest latency and you manage to fuck a pc like that up?

you can just buy a bios chip on ebay for $10-15, asus bios are socketed and just pop in and out.

if dwarf fortress supported multithreading, then a supercomputer would be useful, but that is not the case

>G4560 is bad!
t. people who've never used a G4560

go back to 2011 with that shitty dual core

>4 core 4 threads
>4 THREADS

>when 6 core 12 thread is coming out in a few days for the same price

Son.. you got jewteled

>dual core

Nice meme. Enjoy your stutter.

But seriously OP just go return that shit and get an R5 1600

Don't be an idiot.

Who said it's bad?

It makes more sense to get a G4560 than ANY i3 or i5.

With an i5-7600k you pay 3-4 times more for the mobo+cpu+cooler just to get 35-50% higher performance. That's retarded.

If you pay 4 times more, you should at least go from 60fps to 120fps, if not 144.
But no, you go from 55-70fps to maybe 70-95fps for most games, assuming you're not GPU bottlenecked.

>It makes more sense to get a G4560 than ANY i3 or i5.

None of those make sense.

The entire Intel lineup from the pentium to the i5s are completely and utterly obsolete thanks to R5 and R3.

You can meme all you want but that is objective fact.

G4560 makes perfect sense on the budget end. wtf are you talking about.

It's a $60 CPU. Just needs a $60 or cheaper motherboard.
That's $120.

To get a 7600k and 4.8Ghz overclock you're talking $240+$140+$100 for cpu+mobo+cooler for something that's, in the best case, only about 50% faster than the $120 G4560.

60fps is fine for most people, and it's not worth paying 4x more for only 90. FO4 is an unoptimized piece of shit of an edge case to lock up like that on it.

If you're going to pay more than $120 for cpu+mobo+cooler, it only makes sense to get R5 instead.

Sure the 1400 is about 50% better as well, and is like double the cost of a G4560 build instead of 4x like a 7600k.
But that still only makes sense if someone can actually spend another $120.

You turn a $575 build like
>pcpartpicker.com/list/n6C9Ps
into a $695 one by going up from a G4560 to a R5 1400.
Is it worth it? Sure. But not everyone can magically find $120 more when their budget was

>dwarf fortress doesn't support multithreading
THIS CANT BE FUCKING TRUE
HOW

Toady can't into multithreading
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80751.0

Better single core is a meme, at best its around 10% better in single thread limited games, and would be 50%+ weaker in multithreaded games.

The minimums in those games would suffer.

>Better single core is a meme
you clearly never touched dwarf fortress then, it can put even a OCed 7700k to its knees given the circumstances

Its not multithreaded.

So it won't matter if you're running trillion core CPU if its low clock.

that's the point, single core performance is actually very necessary for dwarf fortress, and the best one possible right now is an overclocked 7700k, and yes, those 10% can make a difference in DF

Codebase started out way before multicores got popular.
And the game is all insanely cross-linked global state, so you probably can't parallelize it well.

Single core difference between Skylake/Kaby and Ryzen is ~10%.

So again, it won't matter. It would be matter of 30 fps and 33 fps.

>windows score
opinion invalidated

Why would you not get the i3-7350k for DF, then?

Drink twice, friends.

This, really. I'm not an Intel supporter, but there are plenty of faggots here shilling for Ryzen 5 when we don't even know the final retail prices. kys shills

>what?
>you dont want a flaming fast high end pc that can play all modern games on max settings?
>you just want a pc to use the internet or play older games?
>LMAO U STUPID FUCKING FAGGOT U DUBM RETARD! WTF U TALKING ABOUT GET AN i5 WAIT 4 RYZEN LMAOO DUMB CUNT

>when we don't even know the final retail prices
What did he mean by this?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F85G25908&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Processors - Desktops-_-9SIA2F85G25908&gclid=CjwKEAjw_PfGBRDW_sutqMbQsmMSJAAMpUapS8NPn-AA02AC1kiwRNqac-IRrncNbs84jYKkExSorBoCU9fw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you can wait a week, it should drop about 10 dollars

>just because dwarf fortress is old it means that it's light on hardware requirements

Meanwhile, i5 7600k sells for about the same price, probably overclocks better, and if Ryzen 5 botches gaming performance again its price may not be low enough.

>botches gaming performance again
>again
Jewish propaganda
>4c/4t in this day and age
Enjoy your ever increasing bottleneck
>overclocks better
Enjoy your Jew temps, pic related

Did I forget what thread I'm in?

I thought this is the one where the idiot OP bought an i5.

How does that babbling nonsense justify the i5 at all?

If someone wants to just "use the internet" or "player older games" then a G4560 is better than the overpriced and underperforming i5.

dwarf fortress will max out a single core on any processor you run it, it WILL take advantage of a better core, so no, the pentium is not better for that

>Meanwhile, i5 7600k sells for about the same price, probably overclocks better
Meanwhile, the i5-7600k is slower, has 8 less threads, not actually the same price and $20 more, doesn't come with a cooler, and motherboards are at least $30 more for an equivalent one.

how
dumb
are
you
?
how

You can also get the 1600 from Jet for $194, btw. So you're talking almost $100 more, total, to get the slower 7600k.

i3-7350K is obviously better than the 7600k for that then, dumbass.

>If someone wants to just "use the internet" or "player older games" then a G4560 is better than the overpriced and underperforming i5.
that was the point of my high class shitpost

Still doesn't make the pentium better than the i5, which is my point; Of course there are better suited processors for that task than the i5

>he's actually trying to justify the 7600's cost as if costing the same as a 6c/12t is a good thing
Can't tell if shill, or just stupid.

If the i7-6850k cost $250 instead of $600 and motherboards cost $90 instead of $200+, but the 7600k still cost $250, I wonder how you'd justify that.
Intel can do no wrong, right? Clearly that 10% better single threaded performance is just soooo worth it instead of having 3 times as many threads, more cache, more efficiency, better average performance across all games and applications, etc.

If that single threaded performance is the most important thing, than why is the 7600k, in your "mind", better than the 7350k? They have identical single threaded performance.

Everything is better than the i5. The i5 is pointless.
Ryzen 5 is better as a direct comparison in the price bracket.
G4560 is better for destitute poor budget gaming.

There has been no point in buying an i3 or i5 for the past 2 years other than someone just being retarded and mislead by Sup Forums or something. There's 0 justification for anyone to have bought that garbage.

reconsider whether paying this much money just to play gaymes with slightly better graphics is really worth it

I've been away from my desktop for a while, but now got a room where I can have it- basically gaming is the most stressful shit I do with it, will it still manage relatively recent games ok?

i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz
8gb DDR3 (can't remember speed, some Corsair mid range stuff)
SLI Gtx 670s
A few SSDs and an HDD

Used for 1080p 120Hz gaming, I'm assuming I won't need any upgrades yet?

>better graphics
>dwarf fortress

He should be looking for raw performance (which he isn't), but he isn't looking for graphical quality at all

>reconsider whether paying this much money just to play gaymes with slightly better graphics is really worth it
huh? But that's not what OP did

OP paid more money for worse graphics.

>SLI GTX670s
That's like 10% as good as a $150 RX480. I would be surprised if you even get 3fps in Wildlands maxed out.
Or "3Hz".

Why would you even SLI 670s to begin with?

Your CPU is okay, though, for 60fps at least. Now days you really want 8 threads. Either upgrade to a 3770k, or Ryzen.

I bought one new soon after they were released, then another on the cheap (as in really cheap) from a friend a few years ago. If I wanted to play shit like GTA 5, Stalker, Cities Skylines, BF1 etc at decent settings they wouldn't be enough? Upgrading the lot would be quite a bit, Ryzen, motherboard, RAM, 480 would cost quite a bit (UK here, tech prices are just going up and up)

I'm talking about raw single threaded performance, not taking into account price or anything else, and in raw single threaded performance the pentium is worse than the 7600k, I'm not claiming anything else besides that

With such a shit paycheck you shouldn't be blowing it on anything.

>just wait(TM) and do these 5 annoying things instead of just buying an i5 that works just as well because 99% of games are GPU bound anyway unless you use a fucking Titan X SLI and a fucking 2500k will still do the job

why are people still buying a 212 with K cpus.

because it's the most meme cooler out there, even if it's not that good just because it's cheap

Uhhh I doubt they're enough.

Not all games support SLI.
You might be able to play them on low with downscaling.

You don't need a new motherboard for a new GPU. wtf.

I have a 7970 which is like.. still 2-3 as good as when your 670 SLI works, and 3-4 times as good as it doesn't. I still have to play low on some games that aren't optimized well.

You'll also need to figure out which Nvidia drivers are optimal because they started gimping those old cards to force you to upgrade.
You probably need a driver version from around like 2013-2015. Answer might be on some forum.

>I'm talking about raw single threaded performance
So am I, fagass. The i3-7350k isn't "the pentium". It's the exact same as the 7600k but with HT and half the cores. Its single threaded performance, for the 3rd time, is the same. So obviously it's better than a 7600k for dwarf fortress since it's $90 cheaper and exactly the same.

If all you're talking about is raw single threaded performance, than arguing for anything but the i3-7350k makes you a moron.

The mobo and RAM etc was cos you were implying that my CPU might not be enough. If it is, I'll try and sell the cards and get a 480 8gb as that should be plenty for the moment.

your post makes no sense.

>h-hey guys
>your GPU can't even manage 90fps+ anyway
>so um.. hey haha trust me on this but...
>just buy the more expensive 7600k!
>it doesn't matter that it's not as good as the 1600, or even 4c/8t 1500X! You're GPU limited anyway see?
>haha so ummmm just give Intel more money you won't tell the difference
>but don't buy the G4560 lol Intel doesn't get enough money then

I know it isn't the pentium, I'm talking about that fag up there saying that the G4560 is good enough for dwarf fortress when it isn't. I know that the 7350k has the best single threaded performance of all processors, I'm not saying that is doesn't

I gave two options.

One was that I suggested you replace the 3570k with a 3770k.
Does that not work on the same motherboard? I'm pretty sure it does.

Yeah, 3770k does. Tbh I'll get a 480 and hold off on the CPU if my current one can hack it atm, then some point down the line go for a 3770k perhaps. A 3770k is the same price as a 480 8gb, and I feel like I'd notice one a lot more than the other

>A 3770k is the same price as a 480 8gb
l m a o. That's hilarious. I assumed it'd be like 100bux.
The RX480 8GB is the biggest value upgrade you can do, then.

In that case, don't bother ever getting it. It's like a 25% cpu upgrade on average. HT doesn't give quite as much benefit with DDR3 than DDR4, I don't think.

Just save up for Ryzen later. Your CPU will still be good for 60fps in most games, just not without stuttering in some.

Yeah, welcome to post-Brexit UK. An 8gb 480 is around 180 bongs, and intel 3770k's on ebay go for roughly the same, given they're not really available from retailers so much.

Ah. Here you can get an 8GB RX480, if you look for the sales and go through some small hoops, for about $150.

180bong doesn't sound super terrible for an RX480, though. That's still less than you pay for a 1060 here and it's as good on average, and better at 1440p.

my 3550 at 4.0 will still do 1440 60fps+ but sli 670 wont do 1080p 120fps in WoW.

>4 cores
>Jewtel OC tax
>Meme cooler
>2017

You could use a locked 3770 and add the +4 turbo for 4.1/4.3, prob sell your 3570k for the same or more.

>he thinks AMD is good
>he doesn't know how to overclock
>he doesn't even know about the 212 evo

I didn't know you could even be this new.

You have to be 18+ to be on Sup Forums.

212 evo is not that good if you're not accounting for the price

there are much better air coolers if you're willing to pay