Linux ransomware spotted!

forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1060828.html

..install Windows?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/jdsecurity/CryptoTrooper
bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/642409/motd-ransomware-help-support-topics-motdtxt-and-enc-extension/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

install gen-fuck

That doesn't patch the unfixable security exploits that were released of windows in the last two years. So, no.

Yes, windows' atom table is being exploited out in the open and MS can't do anything about it.

lol

>guy runs Firefox as root and gets fucked by ransomware because of Adobe Flash vulnerability
Not even Gentoo can save people from their own stupidity.

No, thanks.
I can read the source and patched it myself.

Looks like someone combined github.com/jdsecurity/CryptoTrooper with an exploit?

More references here:
bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/642409/motd-ransomware-help-support-topics-motdtxt-and-enc-extension/

>guy runs Firefox as root
but why? at that point windows is safer

This idiot was using flash and running firefox as root. Competent Linux users do neither of these things. Serves him right. These attacks are obviously targeted at chromebook users since ChromOS IS Gentoo, This/These guys are morons, this won't effect a competent user.

>Yeah, I'm guilty of running FireFox as root. Shame on me - I should have known better.
What a fucking retard.

>though adobe-flash
linux users don't tend to use flash especially more advanced users but this guy was running firefox as root also. Another point making it seem like it's targeted at chromebooks

>it's well know that Gentoo is being attacked since a while
because of chromebooks

>nothing new that they attack Gentoo too lately.....
god damn chromebooks.

>Really sad to learn that there are Gentoo specific attackers.
chromebooks

Ask him.
Guy manages to install and run Gentoo all day, has somd servers, services and shit running but still manages to fuck up THAT badly.

>flash
>2016+1
Just eww

I legitimately do not understand how you can manage to install Gentoo and then fuck up this bad. It doesn't make sense

compile all packages with -Wformat-security, position independent code, relro, stack-protector-strong
install grsecurity
compile your browser with addresssanitizer (don't do this for setuid binaries as it enables local code execution)
change your browser useragent to a windows one
also jail your browser from the rest of your system while you're at it

I second this

He was using flash and was running firefox on root

Is there any Gentoo derivative that does this AND holds my hand during installation?

Calculate linux.

who wants to bet he got it through firefox?

Is flash truly that bad if you keep it up to date or is the flash paranoia legit?

>2017
>using flash

could have just as easily got it with chromium

flash is not only a huge vulnerability it also is able to store permanent data about you that can't be cleared by cookie managers

at the very least use click to play, that goes for all plugins

>god damn chromebooks.
How dare they raise marketshare above 0.000000001%

>running Firefox as root WITH flash
If he does that he can just install Windows.

windows would prevent him from being that stupid

pwn2own showed something else.

LINUX IS SUPER SECURE AND EASY TO USE GUYS!
>Guy gets ransom ware running his chromebook in probably default settings
YOU FUCKING IDIOTS WHO WOULD BE STUPID ENOUGH TO DO THAT YOU DESERVE EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOU!

If you unironicaly refer to someone as a filthy casual, YOU are why Linux will never take off.

sure

in user-friendly distros you usually get a nice firefox icon on your taskbar that you can click on that doesn't run the browser as root

>fork is being exploited out in the open and linux can't do anything about it
ftfy

Why did you post a cock whore?

>why Linux will never take off
Ever heard about Android?

>running userspace applications as root
MAURO

It was a quick fapping session.

Chromebooks dont run everything as root tho

firefox is root is not a default. I am also pretty sure that would be Google's fault and people turn their rage on Google, not on GNU/Linux.

why did you post a stupid post by dumbs?

>YOU are why Linux will never take off.
Linux is huge you fucking idiot, look at all of the Chromebooks and Android device, not to mention all of the other shit. Also you completely misunderstood the post.

Linux can't save MS's sorry ass, yeah